[Chapter 2: Freeze]

Superman’s famous crest and the colors of his uniform were absolutely everywhere. Balloons, flags, t-shirts, even food, were predominantly red, blue, and yellow, and the number five was also heavily prevalent.

The Foundation and the city of Metropolis had gone all out, and it was known other cities around the world would be honoring the happy day as well. The day Superman had officially entered onto the world stage through Lois Lane's article, 'Superman Speaks'.

Lois smiled, looking among the photos of Kal's most impressive saves and other memorable moments throughout the years, both before and after he had needed to don the eyepatch. Photographs were displayed throughout the park and city square, including the following images:

The space shuttle rising into the sky without flaming thrusters, his first publicly viewed feat, even before the world had known and understood who and what Superman was.

A tornado made of volcanic ash and smoke with a blur of red and blue encircling it above the volcano in Washington State as it finished erupting.

The press conference before Nightfall with the President of the United States standing beside Superman as the nearby crowd began to chant.

And a young girl laughing high in the air, tossed by Superman, who was on the ground with a line of excited children beside him waiting for their turn.

Many other images were scattered among vendors, game stands, food, bouncy houses, and tables with banners and music intermingled throughout, and things were getting busier now that the parade had just ended on Main Street, which was just off the park.

"This is amazing," Martha commented.

Jonathan nodded in stunned agreement, keeping close as the crowd suddenly condensed near Main Street.

"Superman!" the crowd cheered.

Superman waved as the mayor and governor took the podium.

The governor welcomed the crowd and then handed it over to the mayor, who quickly outlined all the festivities before thanking Superman and the Foundation.

With the pleasantries out of the way, the crowds quickly streamed to the booths, tables, and games, with news crews pulling back as they had during the Foundation's bake sale a few years before.

Kal happily signed autographs, speed signing several huge stacks before going to a gaggle of children calling to him, begging to be tossed up like they had heard about or had seen him do before. Lois laughed along with the Kents and crowd as Kal began tossing and catching children, one at a time, as an excited line of kids immediately formed.

Lois suddenly did a double take when she spotted Leigh-Anne Stipanovic and her son, Jesse, eagerly heading toward Superman. Jesse was no doubt seeking to get in line with the rest of the kids.

Jesse temporarily had superpowers roughly three years prior, receiving them from Superman through a lightning strike during a midair flight needing a rescue in a thunderstorm. Fortunately, Leigh-Anne had reached out to the Foundation before too long, and everything had worked out well in the end.

Leigh-Anne gave Jesse a nod at his obvious but silent plea to get in line as she held back, watching with the rest of the adults as Superman dutifully gave each child a turn.

Lois wondered if Kal had spotted them, but she soon got her answer.

"Hey, Jesse!" Superman greeted. "Good to see you. Now, how high do you want to go?"

Jesse beamed and got into position to be thrown and caught. "High! As high as possible!" he said, pointing.

Kal laughed and launched him, easily sending him twenty feet into the air like a few of the other, more daring children. Jesse squealed in delight and Superman caught him a few seconds later. With his turn done, Jesse hurried off to his mom, calling an adrenaline spiked thank you to Superman as he went. Kal waved at them before focusing on the next child.

The afternoon continued, and it ended with Superman tasting the pie that won the contest. To his great relief, Martha had not submitted a pie, and the winner provided an excellent strawberry rhubarb pie – a pie Martha didn't like to make and one Jonathan didn’t like to eat.

“So what do you think, Superman?” one of the judges asked as he finished.

Kal smiled and looked at the winner, who happened to be a grandfatherly looking gentleman in a farmer's vest.

"This is the best strawberry rhubarb pie I've ever had," Kal said honestly.

The man beamed, and Lois suspected he would be being contacted by pie making companies fairly soon. In either case, the evening ended well.

O o O o O

"You seem particularly happy this morning, Kal," Mav pointed out, amused by Kal’s chipper entrance.

"Just having a good day," Kal said happily.

"Ah, because of your upcoming visit to the children's hospital? Or perhaps because of an upcoming date with your girlfriend?" Julie asked teasingly.

"Both, except my girlfriend is actually my wife." Kal bounced on his heels, watching for their reactions.

"Wedding anniversary? Or has that passed already?" Mav asked lightly.

Kal laughed at their lack of surprise. "I was right, you two did figure it out! And our anniversary already passed, but how long have you known I was married?"

Julie smirked. "We've suspected for a long time, but for me what confirmed it was your adamant desire to get home after your bout with time travel."

"Makes sense," Kal said before looking apologetic. "I was going to tell you two sooner, but things kept coming up and time got away from me. Sorry about that."

"It's a big secret and life is busy, Kal, we get it. And it's not like you kept the fact you're with someone a secret, and even if you did, that's your right," Mav said, unconcerned. "Anyway, does Bernie know?"

"I haven't outright said, but considering he's, uh, looking into the fertility question for me, I ima-"

Julie gave an excited squeal before composing herself, though she was still grinning. "Sorry, but the thought of a little you running around – I bet you were a cute kid."

"My mom certainly says so, but she's a little biased," Kal said, amused, before glancing at the clock. "Oh, I need to go. Mav, please let Washington Children's Hospital know that I'll need to head out by two. Prior engagement. There should be plenty of time for everything, but I want them to know I can't stay long after, but I'll be there by 10 as discussed."

"Will do,” Mav said, before Kal gave a departing nod and blurred out.

O o O o O

Lois smiled as Clark appeared in their living room, returning from Washington Children’s Hospital soon after 2.

"All good?" Lois asked, his aura humming with contentment and joy.

"Very. Eight kids this time. There were five who were part of the study, but afterwards, the administrator asked Bernie if it would be okay if I continued. He said yes, since my aura was stable. I'm glad I was able to and that they had asked. Those kids probably wouldn't have made it otherwise." He sat down beside her and looked at the notes strewn across the coffee table.

"I'm glad you were able to help them," Lois said, cuddling against him.

"So, any progress?" he asked, rubbing his free hand on his knee.

"No, nothing you haven't already uncovered, anyway. I definitely think someone is out for revenge, though," she said.

He nodded, now lightly bouncing his knee as he flexed his hand above it. "Hopefully what we've found will help Mayson. She was really frustrated last week about it."

"I bet. It's not every week you find people strangled to death, locked alone in rooms. It's bizarre," Lois agreed before resting her hand on his chest. "But enough about work. Did Dr. Klein say anything yet?"

Clark sighed. She was asking about the fertility question. "Nothing he hasn't already said. He assures me he's making progress, though. My genetics are just really complex, apparently."

He shifted against the couch, as if he was uncomfortable.

"Why are you fidgeting?" she asked, glancing at his leg and noting how his aura was a bit more dynamic than normal.

Usually it would slowly shift around her, occasionally slide and press against her if he willed it or was emotional, but it was almost as if it couldn't decide where to be.

"Huh?"

"You're all antsy. You're wiggling and your aura is like a dazed butterfly. Do you feel okay?" she asked, pulling back to better look at him.

Clark frowned, and she felt a spike of confusion. "I do feel a little strange. Nothing hurts, but . . . I guess I feel restless?"

Lois frowned, concerned. "Do you think it could be from healing?"

Clark stilled. "I don't know, but I would think I'd be feeling tired or something if it was that." He looked at her serious gaze and made a promise. "After I meet with Mayson, I'll go see Dr. Klein. I told her I’d stop by before 3:00."

"Okay, good."

O o O o O

"Clark! Perfect timing," Mayson said, spotting him from her office. "You said you had something for me?"

"Hey, Mayson," Clark greeted, all but bouncing into the chair opposite the desk. "I know you're busy, so I'll get straight to it. I've found some information that might help you with the recent cases involving victims strangled in locked rooms."

"That's a huge relief. A fourth victim was found last night!" Mayson exclaimed.

Clark’s shoulders sagged, resigned. "It was Dr. Angelo Martinelli, wasn't it?"

Mayson blinked. "How on earth did you know?"

"I think someone has a vendetta against O'Neil Incorporated. I've compiled a list of possible future victims this morning since all the other victims had at least a secondary tie to the company. Dr. Martinelli was at the top of the list because he had led the chemical division." Clark slid a folder over to her before shifting back and rubbing his hands on his knees, antsy.

“Thanks. I’ll be sure to get MPD on this immediately,” she said, glancing at the names and details Clark had provided.

"Also, as a head's up, my wife is investigating this as well for the Planet,” he added.

Mayson nodded appreciatively. “Let her know that if she finds anything, she can call me directly. With any luck, we’ll solve these murders before the media really takes off with it. If we do and she helps, I’ll be sure to make it worth her while.”

Clark smiled, his knee bouncing under his hand as he shifted in the chair. “I’ll let her know.”

“Thanks. I hadn’t expected you to look into this when I had mentioned it last week, but I’m glad you did. I’ll check with the higher ups to see if we can throw something at you,” she said.

“I’m not hurting for work, but I certainly won’t turn it away. If there’s something I can help with, let me know,” he said, his knee still bouncing.

“I definitely will,” she said, before glancing at his leg and raising an eyebrow. “Skipped decaf today? You seem really high strung.”

Clark stilled his leg, suddenly noticing it. “Oh. Yeah. I guess so. Well, I should probably go. I’m meeting with another source soon.” He stood up, shaking out his hands. “Let me know if anything comes up.”

“I will. Thanks again, Clark,” she said.

“No problem, Mayson,” he said on his way out.

O o O o O

Kal was heading toward the Foundation when he heard a commotion at a construction site. Adjusting his course, flames and smoke came within view.

He landed in front of the engulfed excavator and nearby machinery, thankful to find no one in the flames or hurt elsewhere. The construction crew was gathered behind him, in the process of retrieving a fire extinguisher.

"Superman, you're a sight for sore eyes!" one of them shouted, relieved.

Turning to the flames, Kal inhaled, rapidly condensing the air before breathing out a powerful breath. The fire's roar morphed into a high pitched hiss. Frost and ice instantly caked the excavator, completely snuffing out the inferno in a single blink. Cheers followed, even as he continued to blow. Blue crystals stretched forth, adding layer after layer of freezing power on the metallic frame. His chest tightened, insisting on maintaining the blast for way longer than Kal desired. The cheers trickled off.

Finally, after the excavator, hydraulic pump, and other formerly flaming machinery were fully encased with at least a foot of ice, he stopped.

"Wow. Well, the fire is definitely out," someone said.

Slowly, Kal turned, breathing heavily.

"Are you okay?" another asked, slowly approaching him.

"Yes. I'm sorry. I don't. . . . I can remove the ice if you wish," Kal said, forcing himself to remain calm.

Why hadn't he been able to stop?!

"Nah. It's probably safer this way with the hydraulic oil that had lit, and what's salvageable doesn't care about the ice anyway," the first man said. "Thanks, Superman. That could have gotten way worse. It had already gotten away from us."

"Glad I could help," he said, before giving a wave and shooting off.

He needed to see Bernie, now.

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 11/05/23 09:42 PM.