Print Thread
#29772 05/08/06 06:42 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
DJ, I find this so extremely moving. I'm talking specifically about the lump that Clark finds in Lois's breast. While I myself have no close friends or acquaintances who have been diagnosed with, let alone died of breast cancer (with the exception of a generally sick old lady who died of it whan she was 85), I do know that breast cancer is the leading killer of women in the United States as well as in Sweden, where I live. Oh, it's possible that coronary diseases claim as many women's lives, but breast cancer is definitely one of the top two killers of women.

It's important to stress that a lump in one's breast is not an automatic death sentence. I do believe that most lumps are benign, and even when a tumour is cancerous, it can often be successfully treated. But sometimes it can't, and the woman dies.

This question is so relevant, because so many women, and so many children, husbands and partners, are affected by it. Also, there are so many implications here. For example, will the woman have to have her breast removed? If so, how will that affect her way of thinking of herself as a woman? And how will it affect her relationship with her husband, her intimate relationship with him as well as her friendship with him?

I had so many questions racing through my mind after I had read this. I think it's a bit of a pity that you are not posting this in the nfic folder. Please understand that I'm not asking for any sort of detailed lovemaking scene here, but I think it would be hugely interesting to see a scene where Lois is perhaps doubting her own femininity and her ability to be a good wife to Clark. It would be so interesting to see that topic explored, and I'm not saying that it can't be done in the gfic folder, only that it will be harder here.

There are still more implications here. Will Lois doubt her ability to be a mother, too? And will she be forced to undergo treatment that will make it impossible for her and Clark to have a second child? And how will Lois and Clark's relationship be affected overall? The way I see it, I believe Clark would probably love Lois even more, because he would be so harshly reminded that life is so fragile, and he could easily lose her.

I have to say, DJ, that this is such a poignant and worthy topic for a Lois and Clark story. Thank you for making it a part of your story.

I'm amazed at all the threads you are so effortlessly weaving into this story. I had fun with the Jimmy/Penny subplot. Hope I'm not insulting you here, but to me, "Penny" is a slightly corny name. Forgive me, all you adorable Pennys out there! But, well, to me Jimmy himself is ever so slightly corny, and the fact that he would have found a girl named Penny... I can't help giggling a little, and I hope everybody can forgive me. Anyway, this ring business seems promising, and I think it could well turn out to play an important part in this story.

And then, Aaron. How chillingly evil he is, and yet at the same time totally convincing. You don't make him come out as over the top at all. I think you make us see that Aaron is just pathologically selfish, so selfish that he doesn't realize it himself. To him it is just so perfectly natural and obvious that his own needs and preferences so totally overrule everybody else's.

Ah, and then there is the horrible bigotry, the way the Leader (who?) and Aaron hate Superman for being an alien. And there is that terrible, terrible weapon they are going to use against Superman: they are going to use what is basically terrorist strategies against those who receive help from Superman. How horribly effective that would be! You make me shudder, DJ!

All in all, this is just brilliant. Wow, DJ. What an emotional punch this is packing. Fantastic!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, Ann. What can I say here but wow! Those were some powerful hitting comments. I may actually have to rethink some of the subplots in my story due in part to your comments. eek

I have really enjoyed delving into several different aspects of this story, and it is still continuing to develop itself even though I've already written the ending. But after having read your comments, I think I may not be doing them justice.

My poor beta readers...I may have to e-mail them and tell them to hold off on reading the latest segment I sent them.

<DJ looks around - where did it go? No, not under the couch. Could it be under my chair? Ah there it is! I folded my thinking cap up in my blanket last night. DJ puts her thinking cap back on.>

I'll see what I can do about some of these wonderful ideas you've given me. I don't see myself posting an nfic, but you never know.

*edited* - P.S. Just wanted to mention that I didn't create Penny - so you aren't offending me. She was a fourth season character and also carried over into the seasons 5 and 6 that the fans wrote. Same with the Great Leader. I have chosen to leave him nameless because the wonderful writers who created his character in season 5 left a lot of mystery surrounding him, and didn't provide us with a name.

Thanks again so much for your encouraging comments and compliments and for forcing me to get out of my comfort zone and rethink things.

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Columnist
Columnist
DJ,

I too am amazed by the threads you are weaving into this story. You've given yourself some very interesting subplots to explore, but I find them very interesting.

Am looking forward to reading what you come up with next.

Yours Jenni

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for the fdk Jenni! I hope to be posting the next part soon...

Actually, now! laugh

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
and as a summary of my last email DJ (which was an epic in itself)

i guess i sortof feel like the rest of the folcs... the psycological stuff is much better for a gfic story then the cancer stuff. which has many too deep emotional TINTS (the issues needing tissues]) and areas to be explored for a gfic... ie the sexuality stuff which is very important, in real life... could be suicidal in a gfic

all the best

lenny

oh the angst that can come with the free will vs determanism which is the basis behind the subliminator is a huge enough topic to cover
there is a large amount of literature regarding the effects of advertising etc. which could is relevant in a scientific way, which proves that physically it could be possible to produce a subliminator

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard