Thanks to Labrat for betareading. No copyright infringement intended. I was inspired by a song and wrote this tiny vignette today. The song is posted at the end, and titled "Find Your Wings" by Mark Harris.

Love's Wings by Kent28

The hospital room was tranquil and dark. It was well past midnight, and only the light shining through the cracked door of the bathroom made its way out to where Lois was resting.

Clark reclined back in the leather rocking chair, cradling the tiny baby in his arms. It was still hard to believe that just a few short hours ago, he had watched in awe as his beautiful wife, Lois, had ushered them into parenthood.

A new chapter in their lives. Their family of two was now three.

Looking into the face of his infant daughter, he grazed one finger along the path of her forehead and closed eyes.

Her eyelashes were so tiny, and yet her eyes were so big and blue when she had made her entrance into the world. She had arrived alert, ready like her mother to tackle any adventures this new world had to offer her.

He looked back across the room at the form of his sleeping wife, and smiled. He had always thought before he met her that love was this defined entity. That it had a definite shape and mass. But with each day they shared together, he was finding that love was something that grew. It expanded and changed. It grew and grew until it overwhelmed you, just as it had overwhelmed him today. That his heart wasn't big enough anymore.

His love for Lois had actually outgrown its living arrangements. That thought both puzzled and enamored him.

< Maybe love was an unknown, universal superpower.>

Reaching his index finger into the child's hand, he marveled at the reflex that caused her to grasp it with her whole hand.

<Does every father think his child is this perfect? Or are you?>

He chuckled quietly as he imagined what sort of future hijinks this little brunette would get into. If she took after her mother, he knew
he would have his hands full. At the moment, however, she seemed content to take after her more mild-mannered father. He supposed that was encouraging.

Softly, he spoke to his daughter, careful not to wake his wife from her precious slumber.

“Well, little one, it's just me and you right now. You wore your mommy out. I know that we'll get lots of chances to talk about things in the future, but for now I'd just like to set the record straight. Let you know what you're getting into, as it were."

"I can tell you right away that no one will ever love any child more than your mommy and I love you. We've waited for you for a long while and it's been a hard journey to get here, but I can see now it was worth every minute. You are the most beautiful girl in the entire world. Next to Mommy, of course."

"And I can promise you that I'll do everything in my power to take care of you and your mommy, and that your mommy and I will do all that's in our power to help you reach your dreams, super powers or no superpowers. Though to be honest, I am kind of hoping you can fly someday. That's Mommy's favorite too. If not, I'll just have to take you flying myself, huh?”

At this comment, the infant made a contented sigh, and nestled herself more firmly into the chest which held her.

Clark matched her sigh of happiness with his own, before he continued.

“I can't promise you it will be smooth sailing, because it seems that sometimes everything your mommy and I undertake has perils and difficulties. I'm sure this parenting thing is no different. I can't promise we won't make mistakes. But I can promise that we'll be there for you when you need us, sometimes when you don't want us to be, probably, but you'll need us just the same."

"And most of all, I can promise you there will be joy. Maybe not all the time, because I know there will be pain too. But I already know, in this moment, that you and your mommy have given me more joy than I ever thought possible, and that is what I want for you, little one. That you feel the same joy in your heart someday."

“Honey, who are you talking to?” a groggy Lois mumbled as she turned in the hospital bed to face her husband sitting nearby.

Clark placed the sleeping infant back gently into the bassinet. Turning back to Lois, he bent over and kissed her gently but reverently on the forehead.

“To our daughter. We were having an important talk, just between us.”

Lois smiled. “I hope you weren't spilling all our secrets already.”

Clark grasped her hand in his as he relaxed back down in the chair. “Not our secrets, honey. Just our dreams.”

Fin

Here are the words to the song
Find Your Wings by Mark Harris:

It's only for a moment you are mine to hold
The plans that heaven has for you
Will all too soon unfold
So many different prayers I'll pray
For all that you might do
But most of all I'll want to know
You're walking in the truth
And If I never told you
I want you to know
As I watch you grow

Chorus:
I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings

May passion be the wind
That leads you through your days
And may conviction keep you strong
Guide you on your way
May there be many moments
That make your life so sweet
Oh, but more than memories

Chorus:
It's not living if you don't reach for the sky
I'll have tears as you take off
But I'll cheer as you fly

Chorus:
You don’t have to…
You don’t have to hide
Come out, come out wherever you are
You don’t have to hide
Come out, come out
Come out wherever you are
You don’t have to hide
You don’t have to…

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien