[Chapter 5: Taken]

[Friday Morning]

Dr. Klein smiled as he read the report from the researchers he had been working with concerning the programmable crystals. The technology was moving along. It would be years before they would be able to use it in actual computer processing, but the groundwork was undeniably expanding.

He looked up as the door opened.

“Hey, Kal!” he said, lowering the report.

“Hey, Bernie,” Kal returned, closing the door behind him.

“I’ve just started the next batch of tests on the crystals and things are looking promising,” Klein said, waving the stack of pages. “It’s also become apparent that the kryptonite does not resonate as well as the terran crystals, which is very interesting, as well as fortunate. It has caused the interest to shift away from them in the programming research. Of course, the power potential that kryptonite possesses remains unparalleled, but until we’ve stabilized the output, we won’t be able to–” Klein paused, suddenly realizing Kal didn’t seem too interested like he normally would be.

“Uh, Kal, everything okay?” he asked.

Kal smiled uneasily, and Bernie immediately noted that he couldn’t feel Kal’s aura, which was odd. Since his aura had initially recovered, he normally allowed it to passively relax and extend from him a few feet at least whenever he was on the second and third floors of the Foundation.

"Uh, yeah, I just need to talk to you about something and it's a little harder than I thought it'd be," he said with a nervous chuckle.

That certainly spiked his curiosity, but Klein did his best to contain himself.

"Oh, well, why don't you sit down?" he asked, motioning to the nearby chair on the other side of the workbench.

Kal sat down, and Klein wondered if this was the first time he had ever seen Kal truly nervous. Even when he had come to him with kryptonite, he had not been this antsy!

“So what’s on your mind?” Klein asked, hoping his light tone would help.

Kal clasped his hands together and took a quick breath and exhaled.

“Well, as you know, I’m, uh, seeing someone,” Kal said, briefly glancing up at him before examining his fingers.

Klein nodded encouragingly, not bothering to hide his eager curiosity. He had been dying to hear about this mysterious woman but hadn’t been brave enough to directly inquire.

"I'm so happy you've found someone!" he couldn't help but say. And he really meant it. Kal deserved to be happy with someone!

Kal smiled, appreciating the enthusiasm.

“Thanks. We're pretty serious, and, well, we're hoping you can help us with something."

"Oh?" Klein asked.

"We'd like to know something and, since you're my doctor. . . . Do you think my . . . partner and I have enough . . . biological compatibility to . . . have children?"

Dr. Klein was gobsmacked. Although, he supposed he shouldn't be too surprised. He did know Kal wanted to be a dad in some way due to that interview a few years before.

It was still amazing though!

Although, how could they work on determining whether or not he could father a child on Earth? Klein wasn't a fertility expert, and while he of course understood the mechanics, as well as some of the medical tests to conduct, he was really a layman in regard to it. There were also the ethical questions that sometimes went into a portion of the possible tests one could conduct. Considering what he knew about Kal, he'd probably want to avoid those. Which meant DNA analysis and—

He refocused and found Kal staring at him with a hopeful and expectant expression.

"Oh! Sorry, Kal, I was thinking on how we'd go about things. It'll require . . . careful testing."

Kal remained hopeful and nodded in serious agreement.

Klein tried not to let himself get too frazzled by the subject and continued.

"Although in many ways you resemble a human, your biology is obviously different, and I think I must first state that any . . . relations, with your . . . honey, must be conducted with extreme caution."

Kal nodded slowly, clearly digesting the implications.

"You mean, it could be dangerous? Dangerous for her? Pregnancy, I mean?" Kal asked, concerned.

"Well, at this point in time, we can't be sure either way," Dr. Klein admitted. "Although, am I right to assume you two have . . . ?"

Kal blushed a little but nodded.

"And no issues?" Klein asked, fighting to control his own embarrassment.

He mentally shook himself. This was ridiculous! They were both grown men, or males at any rate. And he was his personal doctor. Sensitive discussion was par for the course. He refused to make this any more awkward than it had to be! He kept his professional face on.

"I haven't noticed any," Kal said.

"And your knowledge on such things?" he asked gently. "I don't want to assume anything and possibly miss something important, so I have to ask. It's perfectly fine not to know–"

"Besides the standard sex-ed in school, my mom was extremely up front with me on everything before I turned eighteen. More than what I know most other families discuss. I think because I'm so different, she wanted to make sure I understood all of what to expect and such. So I know what's normal for humans," he said.

Klein blinked, and he could suddenly feel Kal's aura as a spike of embarrassment came and went before he continued. Kal shrugged helplessly.

"You know, ironically, I actually know more of what's normal for humans than I do for Kryptonians," he said as his aura fully eased around him.

It was tinged with relief, sensing the worst of the awkwardness was behind them.

"Granted, I'm also different among my own people so knowing might have been moot anyway."

"Because you're an Ekhyad?" Klein asked.

"Yeah."

Klein nodded in understanding. He knew that the New Kryptonians' treatment of him had made him feel more alien among his own people than he did among humans.

"Okay." Klein leaned forward, his analytical mind shifting into gear. "Well, from previous testing, we know you can't donate or receive blood, but your blood isn't toxic to humans. So, from that and the other results I’ve obtained on your biology, I think we can assume compatibility is the real issue here. Unfortunately, until we have a better understanding of your genetic makeup, we have no idea whether or not you could produce a viable embryo with a human, and whether that embryo would be capable of being properly nourished in a human womb and develop. The child would also be a hybrid, and sadly not every hybrid in nature, for example, turns out strong and healthy.

“There’s also the question of the pregnancy itself. We don’t know what the demand would be on the mother, nor the nutritional requirements for the developing child," he explained, before noticing Kal’s growing worry. "I'm sorry. I’m thinking out loud and all of that was more blunt than I had intended. The thing is, there are a lot of unknowns. I'm also afraid I'm not well-versed in the field of fertility and obstetrics. I'm not sure I would be able to provide you with everything needed, and I'd hate to give you incorrect information. But I could do what I know and perhaps reach out to a colleague I trust?"

Kal took a deep breath and nodded.

"Okay. So you think it could be possible?" he asked, earnest.

"From what I currently know, I think it's possible, but I don't want to get your hopes up. Genetics is a very complicated thing, and crossing species. . . . But we'll examine everything carefully and make sure nothing is missed," he said, hoping he sounded reassuring.

“Okay, thanks, Bernie. Could we start today?”

"Sure, just let me put these things away. Then we can go over options and start a plan."

Kal's aura practically sung, and Klein hoped the results they found, whenever that was, would be positive.

O o O o O

[Friday Afternoon]

Lois smiled as Jimmy snapped a few pictures. The Daily Planet was hosting a huge festival at the local park for community building. Free hotdogs, drinks, and pretzels were provided, with a promise that any donations would be given to the local Girls and Boys' Club. Games, activities, and tables were set up throughout the three outer baseball fields where a wide variety of community outreach was also present, mingled with food vendors, crafts, and music. The primary field was cordoned off, waiting for the game that would start a few hours later.

Much like the bake sale that had been organized by the Superman Foundation over a year before, the citizens of Metropolis were thrilled to participate, especially when it was learned the Metropolis Monarchs would be present to sign autographs before a number of them would participate in a game where at least half of the players would actually be selected from the crowd, via lottery! But that wasn’t even the best part. Superman himself would be throwing the opening pitch.

There were hundreds of people already, and Lois was glad she had brought her backpack with extra hand-warmers and a water bottle, along with a few other essentials. The weather was warm for October, but it was still brisk and she knew it would get colder as evening came. She wanted to be able to feel her hands while cheering for whichever team she decided to root for. Newcrews were also there, although, like in other public functions, edged the perimeter to not congest or disrupt the festivities.

Superman was near that field's bullpen, behind the tables with free cups of water and hot cocoa. He was talking with Perry, who was trying not to appear too out of sorts by being in his presence. Lois tried not to look too amused when she approached her company's booth.

“Hi, Lois,” Kal said, smiling.

Lois ignored the stares. Most everyone recognized her, of course. She was the one who had discovered Superman.

“Hi, Kal! Are you going to play any of the games?” she asked, stopping beside Perry.

“I might. Are you?” he asked.

“I already played the dart game. I won a tiny cinnamon roll,” she said, holding up her half eaten prize.

“Oh? Well then, I was asked to make an appearance in all the fields. I think I’ll check that out on my way to the other pitch,” he said, eyeing her cinnamon bite.

She laughed. “Do you have a super sweet tooth?”

“Of course I do, Lois. I’m Superman,” he said without missing a beat.

“And I’m sure it helps that you can’t get cavities,” she retorted, much to Perry’s astonished amusement at their interplay.

“It does, but I still brush my teeth. No one wants super bad breath,” he replied, as those nearby who could hear them laughed.

"You're funny, Superman!" a child said, grinning as Superman moved around the table to begin the short trek to the game area.

"Thanks," he said.

People throughout turned and watched Superman as he waved at and spoke with those he passed. Lois was happy that most in Metropolis were used to seeing Superman, so there was less gaping and more happy interest and even interaction. She knew he thrived on human interaction, especially when laughter was involved.

As the day went on, Lois watched from afar while Jimmy continued to snap pictures.

While local shops no doubt raked in substantial business from the day's fun, it was also fascinating to see which charity each business selected to donate to and promote beyond the Girls and Boys' Club.

Homeless shelters, children's hospitals, halfway houses, cancer research . . . the list went on. She noted them all, feeling it would be a good story and bring attention to the good causes, especially with the holidays around the corner.

Afternoon arrived and everyone congregated to the stands of the main baseball field. Seating had been expanded by hundreds of extra chairs and families gathered on picnic blankets and such beyond the stands and field so they would be close enough to enjoy the ambiance of the game.

“What do you think my odds are of getting my name selected from the lottery?” Jimmy asked.

“Over five hundred people submitted their names, Jim. So you have way better odds than in a scratch card lottery,” Lois said, amused by his enthusiasm.

Jimmy beamed before his eyes focused on Superman, who was out in the field with the Metropolis Monarchs, the Mayor, Perry, and a few others who had hosted and arranged the festivities. It was almost time to pick out the lucky winners and for the teams to be selected. The crowd could hardly wait.

Finally, the Mayor took a microphone and addressed the crowd, thanking everyone who had come before placing his hand in an offered bowl. He pulled out the name of the first person who would be one of that day’s baseball players.

The crowd cheered as each name was called.

“Jimmy Olsen!” the Mayor called after the fourth name.

Jimmy gave out a whoop before hurrying down from the stands to enter the field.

Lois celebrated with the rest, and soon the teams were decided and they were allowed to warm up. With that, people in the stands quickly got last minute snacks before returning, their eyes waiting expectantly on Superman.

“Lucky kid,” Perry said to her as he took Jimmy’s spot beside her on the bench after leaving the field.

“I know, but I’m glad he got it,” Lois said, privately relieved Perry had decided to sit with her. It was moments like this when she wished she had more friends.

Perry nodded as their eyes focused back on the field. Superman was expected to throw the first pitch, and then the mixed teams would play.

“I’m not sure which he’s more excited about: playing with the Monarchs, or being that close to Superman,” Perry stated.

“I doubt even he knows,” Lois said as Kal took an offered baseball and walked to the pitcher’s mound.

The cheering was loud, and Lois wondered how Kal could stand it, but then her thoughts fled as something large sailing from the side of the field caught her attention.

It caught Kal’s too, and he quickly turned and faced it. The cheering instantly cut off.

A hooded form, which had leapt far over the field’s fence, had landed and was now walking toward Superman. Lois assumed it was a man, but it was a very tall man. Easily seven feet tall, but lanky and disproportioned. His bland clothing was ill-fitting, and from what Lois could see of his skin, he was . . . purple?

Finally, he came to a stop between first base and the pitcher’s mound, fifteen feet or so from Superman.

“Hello. Who are you?” Superman asked, his voice carrying.

“Ta’peel,” he said, before slowly removing his hood.

O o O

Jimmy, like everyone else, could only stare. Looking from the dugout, Jimmy desperately wished he had his camera, but it was in the stands next to Lois.

The being, Ta'peel, was not human. That much was very, very clear. He had no hair, and his ears were little holes. His eyes were less than slits and his nose and mouth were closer to a collection of wrinkles than features humans would recognize. They did seem to flex with breath and speech, however.

“I am an explorer. I heard about you from this world’s space frequencies and wished to meet with you, Lord Kal-El, Keeper of Earth,” he said, speaking just as loudly before giving a bow.

“Ta’peel? How far have you come?” Kal asked.

“Beyond what I believe this world calls Andromeda."

Superman's eyes widened. "That is far. Well, what can I do for you?"

"You would ask me that?" he asked, surprised.

"We believe in hospitality here," Superman answered.

"I see," he said, before coming closer and extending a hand. "This world greets newcomers this way, no?"

Superman smiled with a nod. "Yes," he said, taking his hand.

The moment Ta’peel’s hand closed around Kal’s, Kal gasped out in pain and fell to one knee. In less than a blink, Kal yanked his hand back and shoved Ta’peel away, hard.

Astonished, Superman stared down at his hand, and even from where Jimmy was, he could see how discolored Superman's skin had instantly become where the alien had touched.

Ta’peel landed on his feet just beyond first base, laughing as he straightened.

“My, my. So Nor was right.” He took a deep breath, and the whole stadium gasped when the alien levitated a few inches from the dirt and held out his hands, embracing the sensation of weightlessness. “The powers of a god! They shall be mine.”

Superman barely managed to get back to his feet when Ta’peel rushed forward in a blur. No one could see what happened the next several seconds, but the thundering crack of two immovable objects striking one another resounded as both of their forms continued to blur.

Everyone knew they should run, leave the stands and the dugouts, but everyone was transfixed.

A grunt of frustration came from Ta’peel as their forms returned to visible speed, appearing a dozen yards apart.

“Enough of your deflections,” Ta’peel hissed. His eyes glowed red, and his gaze turned to the dugout nearest to him, just beyond first base.

Superman intercepted the ray of red with his own a split second after he appeared between Ta’peel and those in the dugout. Two beams of raw power radiated over the lawn, and the lawn soon began to brown from the heat before Superman's rays triumphed and more movement followed.

Ta'peel was blasted back, his massive form cartwheeling across the pitch before immediately rising up and disappearing in a blur. Superman blocked the first grab, before doing the same with the next and the next, using his covered forearm to guide Ta'peel's hands away and barely preventing him from touching bare skin.

Ta'peel glared.

"Fine, I won't touch you then. I'll take from elsewhere," he said, before retreating and dashing to the opposite dugout.

Superman pursued, his hand closing around the back of Ta'peel's collar and restricting his forward advance just inches away from a startled Monarch player right beside Jimmy. Ta'peel rotated around, and within the limited space of the dugout, made contact.

Catching the kryptonian's wrist, Ta'peel's pleased shout echoed over Superman's pained cry. Ta'peel's skin visibly shivered, the purple brightening as if absorbing heat or becoming electrically charged. His other hand shot out immediately after.

In horror, the world watched as the Man of Steel was hoisted up by his neck as he tried in vain to get free. His feet dangled as more and more of his strength and power was siphoned away. Evidence of burst capillaries were expanding across his skin just beyond where the hands of Ta'peel gripped.

Jimmy wasn't sure who moved first, but he suddenly found himself with a bat, swinging as hard as he could with four other men against the monster before them.

His bat splintered on impact, exploding out, and his eyes widened in disbelief as his swing continued, brushing against Superman's form and tearing through the fabric of his uniform against his thigh.

Blood?

Several of the other bats also shattered upon impacting the purple skin, but it didn't help.

Ta'peel paid them no mind; instead, he floated up, just out of the dugout – even as Kal swung his free fist and struck against the side of his purple, skinless head.

Ta'peel almost dropped him from the defying strike, but recovered, snarling at him as he brought him closer. Kal's struggles continued to weaken but remained.

"I will take what is yours and make it forever mine, for what my kind takes long enough becomes part of us. You will be drained, over and over, for as long as it takes, and then, if I feel like it, I will finally kill you."

"No!" Jimmy cried, joined by the others now clamoring out of the dugout.

Superman hung limply with his eyes partially open.

"Yes," Ta'peel preened, before shooting up into the sky, still tightly gripping Superman. He disappeared to the west.

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 01/13/23 08:29 PM.