Chapter Two

Another quick flight and they were descending upon the roof of Star Labs. This time, Clark kept the suit on because he was on official 'Superman' business. After scanning Dr. Klein's lab to verify he was there, Clark then floated them through his open balcony window, where he kept a small greenhouse full of flowers and exotic plants.

"Hey Bernie, I made it back from Brazzaville and even got married along the way," Clark announced after Dr. Klein had turned his head towards the window, hearing the all-too-familiar "whooshing" sound.

"Lois Lane! I am so happy to finally meet you! You are one very brave lady. We're all so proud of you!" Bernie gushed. "And congratulations on your whirlwind romance and marriage! It's all over the papers today!"

<"Geeky, but sweet. Typical scientist type.">

<"Lois… he's great. Don't judge the book by its cover here.">

"Thanks, Dr. Klein. Clark has told me so much about you as well. You're almost a miracle worker in his eyes," she said sincerely.

"Ok, Clark… you just got married to the beautiful woman of your dreams, and you're coming to see *me*. What's up?"

"Have you inventoried your supply of Kryptonite lately, Bernie? I heard through the grapevine that a large specimen was stolen recently," Clark informed him. "And that it might have been an inside job."

<"The 'grapevine'? They almost *killed* you with that chunk of Kryptonite… oh yeah, you can't tell him that whole story without mentioning Mark, Nigel, and Thorul. Geez, I have a big mouth. You're so much better at this than I am, Clark. I'm terrible at keeping secrets, aren't I? I just know I'm going to blow it!">

<"As long as you babble thoughts, not words, honey – you'll be fine">

"Oh, my. Let me check. That is important news."

Dr Klein left the room for ten minutes. He returned with a terrified look on his face.

"I don't know how that happened, Clark. You're right… the largest specimen that we had… it's gone. How did you know?"

"Reporter's privilege, Bernie - can't give away my source. How are you coming with that antidote, anyway?"

Bernie proceeded to give Lois and Clark a technical explanation of his latest experiment, which left them both with glazed expressions on their faces. The bottom line was – nothing yet.

"Dr. Klein…"

"Please, Lois, it's 'Bernie' -"

"Ok, 'Bernie'… with that big green rock out there somewhere, it's really important that we find an antidote quickly," stated Lois. "I finally found the man of my dreams, and I don't want anyone taking him away from me."

<"Aww, honey…">

<"Don't let it go to your head, Propaganda… I just would miss the flying part!">

"I understand. I'm getting close to understanding why the specific level of radioactivity that Kryptonite emits is only harmful to Clark, and not to earthlings. Also, I'm going to call the police and have them dust for fingerprints. Of course, it's going to have to be discreet. We don't want the underworld hearing about this. Oh, dear," Bernie sighed.

"Lois and I are going to be away for a few days, Bernie, so we'll check back with you on Monday or Tuesday, OK?"

"Yes, yes, that's fine. Nice meeting you, Lois. You have a really great guy there."

"I know. Nice meeting you too, Bernie."

~~~~~

Almost immediately upon their return to 344 Clinton St., the doorbell rang. It was as if someone had been watching the apartment window to determine when Lois and Clark would return. They were surprised to find a large manila envelope that had been delivered by courier, left by the door. It was addressed to Lois Lane, and the return address was "LNN – a subsidiary of Edge Enterprises."

"This can't be good news," Lois said, feeling some anxiety well up in her chest.

Clark felt it too – a double dose – his and Lois'. As soon as they had closed the door, Lois had the package already ripped apart.

"Clark – they sent me an employment contract. It must have been drawn up in the last hour, since we left the Planet!"

Clark grabbed it out of her hands. "Lois, I can speed-read through this faster than you can. Oh wow- they want you to have a psychological evaluation before you report to work on Monday morning. They're stating it's because they don't want to status you as a full-time employee without a medical release, due to the 'severe emotional traumas' you experienced in Congo-Brazzaville. They've made an appointment for you, with a Dr. Maxwell Deter, for 8:00 a.m., Monday morning."

"What? Those bastards!" Lois yelled. "I'm saner than any of those losers!"

At that point, the phone rang. Only a select group of people - the President, the Daily Planet, Perry White, James Olson, the Metropolis PD, Lana and Pete Ross, and Clark's folks - had the non-published number.

Clark answered. "Hello? Yes, she's here. Please hold on." He motioned to Lois that the phone was for her, and continued to listen with his super-hearing.

"Lois Lane speaking. May I help you?"

"Ms. Lane? This is Mr. Thorul again. I just want to make sure that you received our employment contract. I hope you weren't offended that we went ahead and made the appointment for you with Dr. Deter. You have to understand that if we have you return to work full-time, before you're ready, we may be liable for any subsequent mental health issues that may arise as a result. It's on the advice of our legal counsel, of course. A physical examination is standard in all of our employment contracts; yours is expanded because you spent the last ten years in a war zone. Believe me, there is nothing personal about the request." His tone of voice appeared businesslike, but Lois could hear some gleefulness, which really set her off.

"Mr. Thorul – yes, I have your 'contract'; and, as much as I would like to tell you what to do with it – I *want* this job at the Daily Planet, so I won't! Fine, I'll report to Dr. Deter and keep the appointment. I'm sure he'll find that I'm perfectly sane. I'd take this 'concrete jungle' over the one in Brazzaville anytime!"

"Ms. Lane – your sanity was never in question. You ability to handle the stress of the job – which a premier investigative reporter like you is likely to experience on a daily basis – is what's in question."

"Yeah, yeah, this is just corporate baloney, Mr. Thorul, *sir*," Lois replied sarcastically. "You know it and I know it. No matter. I can measure up to whatever benchmark you can throw at me."

<"Holy cow, Lois. I hope you don't really want to go back to the Planet or anything!">

"Well, good. I'm glad to see that we're on the same page here. Report to the Planet after you leave Dr. Deter's office, and bring his sealed report with you. Our interim 'city beat' editor will be expecting you around 10:00 a.m. Good day, now."

Before she could ask the name of the "interim editor", the line went dead. "Clark, it's time to call Perry and schedule that meeting for tonight. After that, I'm going to be more than ready for the honeymoon," Lois lamented.

"You got it, honey. I'll call Perry right now."

~~~~~

Perry had been delighted with the idea of the five of them getting together to do "strategic planning", as it's often referred to in the corporate world. They set up a dinner party at the Mayor's home for 7 p.m. Worried that Edge Enterprises had their phones bugged (despite's Clark's insistence that it wasn't), Lois had made Clark go to a phone booth to set everything up, including confirming the meeting time with James.

The Mayor's home was on the upper west side of Metropolis. Perry and Alice had already started packing, as there were boxes and suitcases populating the foyer of the mansion. They had left a narrow aisle, so their guests could make it into the dining room, where a delicious meal would be served shortly.

Lois and Clark arrived via 'Air Superman' at almost the same time as James was emerging from yet another heart-stopping taxicab ride.

"Hey, Jim! Let's go inside, Lois got a surprise package in the mail this afternoon," Clark informed him. “I can’t wait to tell you *this* one!" They rang the doorbell, and Perry himself opened the door.

"Great shades of Elvis, it's great to see you three!" he bellowed. "Come on in."

~~~~~

"Mark Boyle, please."

"Hold, please."

"Boyle speaking. May I help you?"

"Catch a plane and be here ASAP. I have a job for you in the states."

"Is it worth my resigning from the BBN?"

"Absolutely. You've always made more money from your side jobs with us, than from that one, anyway."

"True. Will I get to see Lois again?"

"See her? Hell, you're going to get to be the acting editor of the 'city beat' at the Daily Planet! She and the 'Boy Scout' got married, however, as soon as they got back."

"Marriage is only a piece of paper. I'll be there as soon as I can catch a plane, probably by Saturday."

"Excellent. Find me as soon as you've arrived."

"I certainly will. Thank you for the opportunity."

"Just don't blow it again. By the way, how's Nigel healing these days?"

"Still wearing some bandages, and has to stay out of the sun. Probably another month before he can make his official debut as my brother."

"Great. Maybe we'll have the 'Boyle Brothers' as my new editing team. By the way, you'll be reporting to Perry White."

"Bloody Hell! You didn't tell me *that* part!" I thought he was Mayor of Metropolis!"

"Olson made him an offer to come back to the Planet as Editor-in-Chief, and he had already resigned from the Mayor's office before I could step in and buy Olson out. The announcement that he was going back to his old post at the Daily Planet had hit the streets; it would have been bad public relations for LNN & Edge Enterprises to renege on it, what with White's outrageous popularity in this city."

"It might be fun to work with Perry again. He's going to hate it, but I'll enjoy it! Good day, Leonard."

"Goodbye, Mark."

~~~~~

Dinner had been enlightening. Perry and James weren't surprised at the news of Lois' employment contract. Perry had even made the point that she *could* be suffering from latent trauma, and that the exam could be a positive thing. Clark agreed somewhat, stating that Lois herself had told him she was going to need years of therapy when she got back home, after witnessing ten years of horrors and injustice.

James had felt guilty, because he felt that if he had been more on top of things at the Planet, Lois would still be working for him. While he felt the psychological exam might be a worthwhile endeavor, he would have *suggested* it, not made it a *mandate*.

They asked Alice what they thought of Perry stepping down as Mayor. She replied that he never left the Daily Planet in spirit, anyway. He was probably too honest to be a politician, sadly, and he missed the pressures of meeting deadlines and out-scooping the competition. She knew, as a loving wife would, that he would be happier at home if he was happy at work. She also realized that with the new corporate owners, they all needed to display a united front.

Perry assured the three of them that, as surreptitiously as possible, they would all work closely to bring down Intergang; if that including bringing down their employer as well, that was fine. Lois expressed concern for her sister's welfare, as she was married to someone who was more than likely "in bed" with Intergang and the underworld. It was suggested by Alice that upon Clark and Lois' return from their honeymoon, Lois could take her sister on a "girl's day only" shopping spree. When Lois was certain that their privacy was not being compromised (i.e., Lucy was not inadvertently wearing any listening devices), they would have a heart-to-heart talk about Lois' fears for her and explain Will's possible Intergang connection. Lois was dreading having to have that conversation with her sister, who was a newlywed as well.

Of course, Lois and Clark said nothing about the real identity of Lenny Thorul. To the group, he was just another thug of Edge Enterprises, a corporate pawn from the West Coast, brought here to "take no prisoners". The gathering concluded around 11:00 p.m. Clark offered to give Jim a 'lift' home, quite literally, but he declined.

"Thanks, Clark, but I need that adrenalin rush of the cab ride home to clear my head," James joked. "I'll see you two when you get back. Have a great honeymoon, and say 'hi' to your folks, Clark. Bye, Lois."

"Bye, James. You take care," replied Lois.

~~~~~

“Wow, what a bizarre couple of days it’s been,” Clark remarked to Lois as they began their descent to “Paradise”, their own personal Isle in the Fiji Islands, to begin their “honeymoon”.

“You’re not kidding. You just can’t make this stuff up!” agreed Lois. “And I find it amazing that with the magic of time zones, we can arrive on Friday morning, leave on Saturday morning and actually be back in Kansas on Friday night, like we promised. Pretty cool,” commented Lois as Clark gently placed her sandaled feet on the white, sandy beach.

“Let’s not talk about what happened at the Planet until the weekend is over, okay? I promised you a honeymoon and, though it will be a short one day, we’re going to make it a great one!”

“You’re right, Clark. Like you said before, all the issues we just dealt with will be there on Monday morning. Now, I want to hear about my 'twin' and how she got here. I know you said we’d talk about it in Smallville, but I would really like to focus on getting to know your folks, not re-hashing a story they already know about. So give.”

“Let me make a fire, you get the ‘bed’ ready, and then I’ll tell you everything,” Clark promised, as he scouted the area to find dry brush. Lois opened the tote bag she had brought; she spread the fleece comforter she had purchased (just for this occasion) out on the snow-colored sand, and smiled as Clark came back, starting a wonderful fire with his eyes.

The morning sun was strong as they were facing east. It was a glorious early April morning. They snuggled up on the blanket. At least for this day, life was wonderful.

Clark proceeded to tell Lois about his engagement to Lana, H.G. Wells, meeting and almost falling in love with her doppelganger from the other universe, and the tale of how "Joe and Mary Lang" arrived here from yet *another* universe. (Refer to "Jungle Love" for the entire conversation).

Lois' head was spinning from assimilating all of the truly fantastic stories she'd just been told.
“Wow. This is really unbelievable. I guess when you hear people say that your life is all planned out ahead of time, it’s true. Now I can’t *wait* to go to Smallville and spend time with your folks. And maybe someday give them the grandchild they never got to spoil in ‘their’ world,” Lois hinted to Clark.

“Lois, I would love to have a family, whenever you are ready. I know you want to get your career back on track and get settled in,” Clark said, with gentle understanding.

“Clark, I’m already in my mid-thirties. I don’t want to be having kids when I’m in my forties. I love you, and, as much as reporting is in my blood, I lived without it for ten years and survived. I would consider having a child and going back to work part-time in a heartbeat,” Lois informed him. "Being alone for that long make you appreciate the value of family."

“Really? Then let’s get started as soon as possible,” he whispered to her, drawing her close to him, nibbling her neck and shoulders with his lips. Slowly undressing each other, their lovemaking was even more intense and passionate than it had been the first time they had been together. The sharing of secrets had strengthened the bond they shared. As they gave each other pleasure, Clark floated them off the blanket, to create a feeling of weightlessness.

Afterwards, they crashed back down onto their makeshift bed. Clark protected Lois from harm with a puff of super breath to break her fall. Smiling and contented, and both at peace for the first time in many years, Clark and Lois lay in the ‘spoon’ position; the sounds of the ocean waves breaking on the shore was calming, and the strong tropical sun warmed their bodies, and so they drifted off into a heavenly sleep.
~~~~~

Saturday morning, 11:00 a.m.: Clark fetched a wonderful “bagels and coffee” breakfast from a well-known coffee shop in Seattle, Washington; they then found themselves saying goodbye to their favorite haven once again, and heading east toward Smallville, Kansas. Sunlight started to disappear from view, and then reappear, as they were actually traveling back in time sixteen hours to re-live Friday night all over again. Since it was now daylight savings time, it was still light in Kansas at 5 p.m. Clark decided it would be best to use the tunnel to visit his folks.

“I dug out this tunnel so no one would suspect that I am as close to my ‘tenants’ as I really am,” Clark explained. “I don’t need the underworld going after them as a way of getting to me.” He dropped down from the sky, and opened the entrance door, which was covered with leaves and debris. They were soon flying through the underground entranceway, which ended in the basement of the Kent farmhouse.

“Clark, are you worried, then, that they will try to hurt me in the same fashion? Since it is public information that we are married,” Lois asked, as they began walking up the stairs to the kitchen.

“I am, but I plan to be around you almost every waking minute, if I have to,” he responded. “Since Ma and Pa live here in Kansas, it would be very hard to protect them around the clock.”

“True. But how are you going to protect me from an exploding toilet in the women’s rest room, for example?” Lois joked. “Or a Superman rescue mission when you have to leave me alone?”

“All I know is, Lois, without you in it, my life’s not worth living, so I will figure it out, I promise,” he said.

<I still think I’m the one that’s going to have to protect you> Lois thought, and then deliberately blocked her mind so Clark couldn’t “hear” what she said.

Martha and Jonathan had coffee and tea brewing, and the smell of a baking apple pie permeated the country kitchen.

“Honey, you’re here. I heard about all the problems at the Planet,” said Martha. “I’m so glad you’re both okay.”

“Ma, Lois and I made a promise that we’re not talking shop until we have to go back to work on Monday morning. We’re here to spend time with you, and that’s that,” Clark said.

Jonathan gave Lois a big hug. “I’m so happy that Clark finally found you. Now we can all share each other’s lives, the way it should be.”

“Honey, I hope you don’t mind, but I invited Lana and Pete over, and they’re going to bring their son as well. I know they would want to meet you, Lois,” said Martha.

“Martha, that’s fine. I want to meet all of Clark’s friends. And I’ve heard a lot about Lana. I’m anxious to meet her as well,” Lois replied.

“How old is their son, by the way?”

“About six weeks, now. His name is Christopher Peter Ross. He’s adorable. Did you know that Clark is the Godfather?” Martha asked Lois.

“No, but it makes sense. They’re all friends from high school, right?”

“Yes, I guess so,” Martha said. “Of course, we weren’t here then for Clark, but ‘our’ Clark was best friends with 'his' Lana and Pete,” she said, with sadness in her voice.

“Martha, I’m so sorry about your Clark and your daughter–in–law. That’s so horrifying for you. Does it help or hurt to be around me and Clark, when we look so much like the family you lost so tragically?” Lois wanted to know.

“It’s a double-edged sword, truthfully, Lois dear. Thanks for asking. But knowing how this Clark was so sad all of the time, with no parents and no you to share his life with, really gave us a purpose in life when we came here. Without that, we would have died of broken hearts,” Martha said.

“I guess that H.G. Wells character did a good thing, then, by bringing you both to this earth. I’m happy that you’re here, Martha and Jonathan.”

“I can see you are just as sweet as the Lois we loved so much. Both of our sons have great taste in women,” remarked Jonathan.

There was a knock at the door. “That must be Lana and Pete and the baby. I’ll get it," Martha said.

What she saw made her jaw drop several inches.

Wells’ time machine was parked outside on the driveway.

Martha thought she was in a house of mirrors at the amusement park. She was looking at Clark, Lois, two children that looked exactly like them, and – a carbon copy version of her and Jonathan!

“Oh, my,” was all she could say. “Oh, my! Clark! Please come to the door.”

“Mrs. Kent, I’m so sorry to stop by unannounced. But we understand that today is a special day and we came to share it with all of you,” explained Wells.

“Please, do come in.”

Clark recognized his friends from the "other” earth, Clark ("CK") and Lois. Two small children, looking to be about 2 and 4 years old, accompanied them. They were both dark-haired, with big brown eyes, one boy, and one girl. Clark’s parents were there as well, virtually identical to his folks.

“Hey, CK. Hey Lois, good to see you again,” he said, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Looks like you guys have been busy raising a family, huh?” he said, smiling at their children.

The two Loises were scrutinizing each other. Ironically, the "other" Lois was now wearing her hair in a longer, freer flowing style, so it was easier to tell them apart.

“Hi Lois, I’m Lois too. Wow!” Alt-Lois said. “To avoid confusion, just call me ‘Linda’ - that was the name I went by in the refugee camps over in Congo-Brazzaville. I’m so happy to meet you, and I want to thank you for making Clark realize what a mistake he would have made marrying Lana,” she suggested.

“So we’ll be called 'CK and Lois', and you’ll be called 'Clark and Linda'! Kind of fun!” exclaimed Lois. “And you're very welcome, by the way! *Every* world needs a Superman. It was his destiny. I’m so glad to finally meet you, too. I can relax now, knowing that Clark won’t be lonely and miserable any more, now that you’re here with him.”

“That’s sweet, but he saved me too. I had resigned myself to being single the rest of my life, until he came along.”

“I know; I felt the same way. Wow, we have identical features, only difference is the hair style.”

“I *just* had my hair cut short like yours was. Clark had a picture of you in the crowd from the time you were here, and I thought it looked great. But I see you’ve let yours grow out a bit,” observed ‘Linda’.

“Yes, now that the kids are a bit older, I have a little more time to fuss with my hair in the morning,” Lois joked.

“Clark, you know my parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent. You met them the last time you visited ‘our’ world,” CK said.

“Yes, of course. So good to see both of you again,” Clark said. “And these are ‘my’ folks, Martha and Jonathan Kent, but in this world their ‘legal’ names are 'Joe and Mary Lang'. Did Herb explain it all to you?” Clark asked as everyone shook hands in amazement. It was the strangest feeling, shaking hands with ‘yourself’.

CK smiled. “Yes, he did. Quite a story. I’m happy it all worked out for you, and I’d really like to go over to ‘their’ earth sometime and kick those rogue Kryptonians out of power. Let me know when you want to go!”

“You bet! Sounds good to me!”

“Now, I’d like to introduce you to Kara and Jared. Kara is two and Jared is going to be four next month, in May. Kids, say hello to everyone,” Lois said, putting her arms around the children, bringing them to the forefront.

“Hi,” they said in unison. “How come you all look the same?” Jared asked.

The group laughed. “Honey, I’ll explain it to you when you’re a little older,” Lois said. “This is Aunt Linda, Uncle Clark, and Grandma Mary and Grandpa Joe. Give everyone a handshake or a kiss, now,” she instructed.

“Do I have to?” whined Jared. Lois glared at him. “All right,” he said, making the rounds of the group. “How come Kara doesn’t have to do this?”

“She will, when she’s older. For now, Kara, give everyone a hug,” Clark interjected. Kara began walking around the group of adults, giving each person a gentle squeeze.

“Wow,” ‘Linda’ remarked. “They’re beautiful kids. Clark and I were just talking about starting a family. Now I’m even more excited about it.”

“We have some tips that will help you get pregnant,” said Lois. “Before we leave, I’ll share them with you.”

“Great! Yes, I didn’t think about that…. Clark *is* an alien. DNA could be different… hmm.”

Suddenly, there was another knock on the door. “Now, this time, it must be the Rosses.”

And so it was.

Kara and Jared were excited to have a newborn to play with. Little Christopher was kissed, teased, and prodded by the two of them… and he seemed to love it, smiling back at them with his freckled face, framed by strands of curly blond hair here and there.

After introductions were made again, Lana motioned Linda/Lois over to the living room to have a private conversation. “I’m so excited you’re here. I’m sure Clark told you the whole story about what a 'bitch' I used to be,” Lana began.

“Well, I guess you were afraid that society couldn’t accept Clark for who he was. You were younger then. It’s understandable,” Linda/Lois said sympathetically. <She's really pretty, though. I can see why Clark was with her for so long>.

<"No one - *no one* - holds a candle to you, Lois,"> Clark affirmed to his wife, as he had 'felt' her insecurities even while he was carrying on a conversation with Pete in the other room.

Lois beamed inappropriately as Clark's thoughts entered her head. Lana didn't seem to notice.

“I know. I let a great man walk away from me because of my own jealous fears. But truthfully, he never loved me the way he loves you ‘Lois Lanes’,” Lana replied. “There’s something about you ‘Loises'… you give him more than I ever could. So I’m so happy and relieved that he finally found you.”

“Are *you* happy, Lana? Clark tells me that Pete always had a thing for you.”

“Yes, I am. Pete is the sweetest, most wonderful man, and he’s right for me. Just the way Clark is right for you. Clark and I have become very close again. It took several years for the bitterness to fade away, but I’m so glad we were able to put that behind us, because he’s like my best friend now. Do you know how many times I tried to fix him up with someone, and he always had an excuse? You were the only one he wanted, I’d have you know. He’s a 'one-woman' man, all the way. You’re a lucky lady, Lois Lane. Congratulations on your marriage!” Lana said, giving her a kiss on the cheek, and a big hug.

“Thanks, Lana. And by the way, your son is gorgeous,” she replied. “And it was very sweet of you to help Clark find a way for the Kents to re-establish themselves as your Aunt and Uncle.”

“Thanks, Lois. I hope that we can all be close now. I guess, with all the people in the kitchen, we have ourselves a par-tee!”

“Yes, I guess we do,” she smiled back, thinking that it was the kind of party one held in the “Twilight Zone”. “A bizarre one, at that, where *half* the guests have identical twins in the room. Better get out the cameras to save this one for posterity!”

~~~~~

The two Clarks decided to go off flying together. They were heading towards the North Pole, as the world didn't need to see two Supermen simultaneously. They finally came to rest on a gigantic iceberg floating in the North Atlantic Sea.

Clark spoke first. "CK, I have a big problem. Maybe you can help me with it. Lois and I made a promise to each other not to talk about it this weekend, but I really need to brainstorm this situation with someone impartial. Are you game?"

"Sure, Clark. Huh. I would have thought that all your problems were over, now that you've met and married 'your' Lois!" CK said.

"Lois is being blackmailed by someone who told her he's a twin brother – *fraternal* twin brother - of Lex Luthor," Clark revealed.

"Twin brother? Yikes. One Lex Luthor per world is more than enough for me," CK said. "Blackmailed – how?"

"Someone stole a large chunk of Kryptonite from Star Labs, and they've already used it on me once. It was huge – it almost did me in. They're threatening to kill me with it, this time, should Lois ever reveal that this guy is Luthor's twin brother," Clark explained. "They have her so spooked, she wasn't even going to tell *me*. I think that Lex's suicide was a sham. The two 'brothers' have never been seen together. To the world, he's just another corporate sharpie at Edge Enterprises. But if we could prove he was, indeed, Lex's brother – we could probably have him arrested for murder. And a whole lot more, I'm sure."

"Ok, so how did she find out that this guy *is* his brother?" CK asked. "I thought she was keeping a low profile in the jungle for the last ten years. Leave it to a 'Lois Lane' to get herself in over her head, even when she's not trying!"

"Before she left for Congo-Brazzaville, she went out on a date with Lex."

CK winced involuntarily, remembering the emotional pain he had endured when his Lois had become engaged to the Luthor in his world.

"She was staying in a suite with him in San Francisco - separate rooms, thank God - and she heard him making phone calls in the next room. She put a towel over the phone and listened in, and heard the names 'Nigel' and 'Lenny'. Well, we all know that Nigel St. John was Luthor's right hand man, but no one had ever heard of 'Lenny'," Clark explained. "At least, not at that time; this was over 10 years ago.

"Lex figured out that Lois was listening on the other end, and sent her on a wild goose chase to Congo-Brazzaville chasing a gun-running story. He dropped her enough hints for her to convince Perry to spend the Planet’s money to send her there. The minute she got off the plane, she was abducted, beat up, and left in the jungle to die. But you know our Loises – they're nearly unstoppable, and she somehow survived, and hid out in various refugee camps, constantly on the run - for nearly ten years. She called herself 'Linda', and wanted everyone to think that she was dead, since Luthor's goons had threatened to kill her family if she ever showed up alive.

"When she heard that Lex had committed suicide – well he jumped off the Luthor Corp tower – more on that in a minute - she felt it was safe to come home, and e-mailed the Daily Planet to come rescue her – which I did. While we were there, another couple of goons, from Edge Enterprises now – rendered me useless with the Kryptonite, and then brought Lois to their local office – a corrupt Brazzaville oil company that was in bed with Luthor Corp. It was at that time that Lois was put on speakerphone with this 'Thorul' character and he told her the entire sordid story."

"But *why* would he tell her? She didn't have a clue who he really was," CK argued.

"He realized, with Lois coming back to the States, that she would figure out that Leonard Thorul, respected businessman, was the 'Lenny' on the phone all those years ago. Right now, there is no apparent connection. As far as the world knows, he's a VP with Edge Enterprises from their West Coast division. He didn't want her to start an investigation. They're holding onto the Kryptonite and threatening that if she tells anyone, they'll kill me," Clark explained.

"Whoa, what a story," CK breathed. "So, how is it that these two were never seen together, or that no one ever knew Lex had a brother?"

"Apparently, he grew up on the West Coast, in San Diego, California; neither one of them knew about each other's existence, until Lenny's mother, who was really his aunt, passed away. Lenny was left a huge trust fund set up jointly by his biological mother, who was also Lex's mom, and his aunt. At that time, the truth about his true background was revealed to him. Realizing that his newfound blood brother, Lex Luthor, was forging an empire, he wanted in. He managed to convince him to be his silent, unseen business partner. They looked enough alike with their heads shaved to be identical twins, so they would alternate playing "Lex Luthor". In this way, Lenny became familiar enough with Lex's empire that he didn't need him anymore. Luthor Corp's stock mysteriously took a dive in the stock market, and shortly thereafter, Lex was found dead on the sidewalk adjacent to his corporate headquarters.

"No one knew he has a twin brother out there, and so it was ruled a suicide. There are no records, supposedly, that will verify that what he told Lois is actually true. But it's highly suspicious that right after Edge Enterprises acquired Luthor Corp, Leonard Thorul, with a full head of red curly hair, surfaced as a VP of Acquisitions for Edge's company. They just put poor James Olson out of business – he had to sell the Daily Planet to them, just to keep it running. So now, to make matters worse, this viper is now our boss at the Planet.

"So, yeah, I'm so thrilled that Lois and I are together, but – what a huge mess, all at the same time. We just visited Bernie Klein, who is working on an antidote for Kryptonite – to see how close he might be to coming up with one. As long as that big chunk of Kryptonite is at large out there, Lois is scared that if she makes a wrong move - I'm history."

"Yeah, *my* Bernie Klein has been working on that, too," CK said. "But he did find that Kryptonite was helpful when Lois and I wanted to start a family. A small exposure to it prior to - *you know*, and, during the time I'm just an ordinary man, Lois is able to conceive," CK informed him.

"Excellent!" Clark said. "It's really great to know that. Lois and I were just talking about starting a family. We're in our mid thirties, already… we don't have much time," he explained. "You'll have to give me the details before you leave."

"No problem. Hey, let's get back to Smallville, I want to pick Wells' brains about this Kryptonite antidote problem," CK advised.

~~~~~

Back at the Kent/ "Lang" farmhouse, each "twin" was comparing their parallel worlds. Lana and Pete had already left, as it was time to put the baby down for a nap. The two Jonathans had taken a walk out to the barn; the two Marthas were in the kitchen, comparing apple pie recipes and 'Clarks'; and the two Loises were sitting outside on the porch, discussing the "Lenny Thorul" dilemma as well and watching Kara and Jared, who were playing out on the front lawn. Herb was taking a nap on the sofa in the living room. He was wiped out from too much inter-dimensional traveling.

"It's so nice to be able to confide in you," Linda/Lois said to her twin, and new friend, Lois. "Clark and I promised each other we wouldn't talk about the problems at the Planet while we were in Smallville, but I really feel like you might be able to help me. You know, I didn't even want to tell Clark about who this Thorul jerk really is – I am so afraid they'll use the Kryptonite to kill him."

"Well, I'm somewhat grateful to Kryptonite, because it allowed me to have my babies," Lois replied. "But I sure wouldn't want to be in *your* position. I think I would freak out if there was a clone of Luthor running around in my world."

"*Clones*? Is there a way to 'clone' someone, really?" asked L/L. "I thought that was just a bunch of science fiction mumbo-jumbo."

"How would you have liked to have had a frog-eating clone take your place on your wedding day? Believe me, it's not mumbo-jumbo," asserted Lois. "I wouldn’t be surprised if your 'Lenny Thorul' was really a clone that Luthor created. Or, he's still alive and it was really the clone that died. I wouldn't put anything past that scumbag!" Lois ranted.

"Ewwww… gross! The clone ate frogs? Wow, I had never considered the possibility that Thorul was lying to me. Maybe he was trying to throw me completely off track. How could I find out if he's telling me the truth?" L/L asked. "He said there is no paper connection to him and Lex. Can't exhume the body to test for DNA without a court order, which I'm sure I'd need hard-core evidence to get. I'll admit to you only, Lois, that I'm a tad rusty. Give me a place to start, and then I'll run with it from there," she said.

"Well… first, you'd have to research his childhood and see if he really grew up in San Diego, I guess. Waitaminute! Herb is here! We should take advantage of him. He can help us unravel a number of these mysteries, all before you report for your stupid 'psychological examination' on Monday morning!" Lois exclaimed, with great enthusiasm. "Where is he, anyway? We need to do some time-traveling!"

Just then, a "whooshing" sound foreshadowed the return of their respective spouses.

"Hi honey," they both said to their wives, kissing them on their foreheads.

"Where's Wells? Ah, there he is," CK said, finding him sleeping on the sofa, with his enhanced vision.

"Why are *you* guys looking for him? We have a great idea," said Lois.

"So do *we*," said Clark. "Let's wake him up and see if he can help us."

Herb opened his eyes and thought he was seeing double. Well, he was. Two identical Clarks, and two *nearly* identical Loises (only "nearly", because one had longer hair than the other) were staring down at him. He sat up slowly, trying to shake off the nausea that always haunted him when he traveled within the dimensional worlds.

"My word, what's this all about?" he finally asked.

"Herb, we need you to help us with a bit of detective work," said Lois.

"Herb, we need you to help us find the time in the future when Dr. Klein discovers the antidote for Kryptonite," said Clark.

"One at a time, please," pleaded Wells. "I'm already in a state of confusion."

"It's your world, Clark; you go first," said Lois.

"Herb, both of the Dr. Kleins in our respective worlds are working on a cure for Kryptonite poisoning. Do you know what year one of them finally discovers it?" asked Clark.

"No, no! Even if I *did* know, I can't help you change the future in your own worlds. If you knew of another dimension where there was a Kryptonite cure available *now*, perhaps that wouldn't disrupt the time – space continuum," he advised.

Just then, the two Jonathans came back in. "Joe Lang" was telling "Jonathan Kent" the horrible story of the rogue Kryptonians and how they murdered his Clark by imprisoning him in a cage made out of Kryptonite bars.

"But, 'Joe'… if they were Kryptonian also, how did they manage to get anywhere near that cage? How could they survive? That cage should have been just as dangerous to them as it was to Clark," Jonathan pointed out.

"Hmmm… good point," 'Joe' replied.

The five of them had overheard the elder Kents' conversation. The two Clarks became animated, and exclaimed, nearly in unison: "Herb, take us over to that world! The New Kryptonians must have had an antidote for Kryptonite! How else could they have murdered that Clark?"

"Joe" became wide-eyed at the suggestion that these fine boys go back to the murderous world that he and "Mary" had left, putting their lives in jeopardy. "No, Clarks, I won't allow it. Martha and I watched our boy and daughter-in-law die at the hands of those bastards. We can't go through that again!" he declared. At that, the room exploded with shouting and loud discussion. A loud rap on the coffee table interrupted the chaos.

"Can I speak?" Wells asked rather meekly. "I have a point to make, if you would only allow me."

The group, now joined by the two Marthas as well, looked at Herb and quieted down.

"It's been over three years since I brought Martha and Jonathan back from that wretched world. It's very possible that somehow, the New Kryptonians have been thrown out of power by now. It's also possible that it is even a more violent world now, than it was. Since my machine will materialize in the other universe exactly where it is here, there's a risk involved. We may not be able to hide the machine in time; we may put ourselves in jeopardy. I suggest that if we do decide to travel there, that only the Clarks accompany me, and that they disguise their appearance as much as possible."

"Herb, just show us how to operate the machine; you can stay here. You're looking sickly, and you'll definitely stick out like a sore thumb over there," CK suggested.

"Oh my… not go with my machine? What a dreadful thought that is," he replied. "I fear that I am quite attached to it, and can't bear the thought of parting with it. How about if I leave you two in that world, and we plan for me to rendezvous with you at the same time, same place, 24 hours later? Will that allow you enough time?" he asked.

"I think so," said Clark.

"It'll have to be enough time," said CK.

L/L piped up. "So Herb, when you come back, you can take us to San Diego, California, thirty years ago, so we can do some research on this 'Lenny Thorul' character!"

"Oh my word, do you people ever get tired?" Wells said. "We better get moving, Clarks, so I can come back and help your wives play 'Sherlock Holmes'."

Both couples had to share a moment before the guys departed with Herb.

"Oh, Clark… this is the first real time we've been separated since we met. I'm worried I'll never see you again," whined L/L. "Will the telepathy work in a different dimension?"

"I don't know, Lois, but after waiting so long to be with you, there's no way I'm not coming back. If there is any way I can send you a message, you can be sure that I will," promised Clark, kissing her passionately, running his hands up and down her back, then fingering her now short hair, kissing the nape of her neck. "I love you so much, honey."

"Not as much as I love you," L/L cooed in response.

The other couple was having a similar, yet different, conversation.

"Clark, this reminds me of another time you left for another world and it had to do with the New Kryptonians that time, too. Please be careful. The kids and I need you," Lois said to CK. "I love you so much."

"Honey, you know how much I love you, too. And, Lois – you're not even going to miss me; you're going to be off on your own adventure in San Diego! Just think how much we'll have to tell each other, the next time we're together," CK suggested, hugging and kissing the woman who was the mother of his beautiful children.

Herb cleared his throat to alert the lovebirds that departure time was at hand.

"Clarks, please have your mothers find you some type of disguise. Clearly, wearing a Superman outfit is not the way to enter this other world," he said, at an attempt at humor.

Several minutes later, a blond-haired CK sporting a baseball cap, jeans, and an old tee shirt along with a red-haired Clark with horn-rimmed glasses and overalls with a plaid shirt underneath, made their debut. "I'm going to call myself Pete," said the blond Clark, "since we have the same hair color now."

"I'm going to call myself Jimmy, after my buddy back home who's almost a red-head," said CK. "Thanks Moms, for the quick hair-dye job."

Kara and Jared came running up. "Daddy? What happened to you? You guys look funny… both of you."

The two Loises were hysterical. "Marthas, how did you dye their hair? If you can't cut it, how can you dye it?" asked Lois.

"With a little treatment of heat vision, anything is possible," 'Mary Lang' replied. "Don't they look great? Remember, they *are* traveling to another Smallville. If it's still there, that is," she sighed.

The Clarks gave their Loises one last goodbye kiss, and headed towards the machine with Herb. Within minutes, it disappeared completely from view.

L/L felt her heart go with him into the other world. An emptiness she hadn't felt in over a week transcended her. Their telepathic connection was gone.

"Isn't it awful?" asked Lois, empathizing with her. "The soul-mate connection that we have with them… it just makes you feel so lost, when they go away like that."

"It sure does," L/L said, her eyes misting over. "I never thought I could love someone that much."

"I know; I feel the same way. Even though Clark and I have kids, we still act like teenagers in love. It deepens and gets better with time. You'll see."

At that moment, the time machine re-materialized. It was time for them to travel to San Diego, circa 1973.

TBC on Thursday

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"