This came to be about a week ago. I thought about what everyone would be like in the middle ages. I know the Charles & Loisette thing has already been done but I wanted to put my own spin on things. Hope you like the story. Just to let everyone know King Nicolas is completely original and mine. A list of characters is down below. Here's a little challenge to try and figure out who each person really is.

Mary: Queen of England
Jonah: King of England
Old King Nicholas: Mary's father
Prince Lenox: Mary's older brother
Princess Lena: Lenox's wife
Sir Percy: Jonah's most trusted knight
King Jordan: Jonah's older brother
Queen Laura: Jordan's wife and Jonah's sister-in-law
Prince Calvin: Jordan and Laura's only son
Jamal: Jordan and Laura's messenger

Kingdom Come
by Oxiate

King Nicholas was displeased with his son, Prince Lenox. Lenox was due to take over the throne of England inherited from his father when he died. Nicolas had a feeling that his beloved kingdom would be in peril if his son took over. Fortunately, there was another heir. His daughter, Princess Mary, she was the apple of his eye. She was brilliant and married to a man who loved her and who Nicolas approved of, Prince Jonah of Scotland. Lenox was married to Lena, a princess of Russia.

Lena was not at all the type of woman that Nicholas wanted to see with his son. She was arrogant, pushy, spoiled, and self-centered. Nicholas knew that Lenox hand not married Lena for love. This was a disappointment to him. While growing up he had tried his best to teach Lenox and Mary to love and to cherish people around them. He never had gotten through to Lenox now, he had a problem. Parliament had agreed with him that Lenox would become an unjust, spiteful king. They had decided to put Mary and Jonah on the throne before Nicolas's life ended. There were three circumstances to this deal.

The first was that to prevent Lenox from stirring up a rebellion against the kingdom for his crown. He must be exiled to another country. Nicholas knew this would be hard to do to his only son, no matter how much Lenox angered him. The second was that Nicholas must give up the crown within 30 days to give to Mary. The third and final circumstance was truly shocking to Nicholas. Mary and Jonah must produce an heir to the throne with in the next three years.

Mary and Jonah agreed to the terms. They were more than confident that soon they would be parents. So, King Nicholas forfeited his crown to his daughter and son-in-law in hopes of a better tomorrow. Lenox had exiled and took Lena with him. They both swore they would return for their revenge. Nicholas late one night approached his daughter's chambers to give her extra encouragement to become queen.

Nicholas knocked on his daughter's door.

"Mary?"

"Yes?"

"May I come in, dearest daughter?"

"Oh, of course father. Welcome, come in."

"Thank you, Mary. Where is Jonah this evening?"

"He went hunting with Sir Percy. He is Jonah's most trusted night. They will not return until dawn."

"Well, at least the gives me the time needed to talk to you."

"About what?"

"Mary, becoming queen is a huge responsibility. I want to make sure you can handle it."

"Father, I know what I and Jonah must do. I know that for the kingdom's sake you had to exile Lenox. That must not have been easy. Don't worry I capable and I have Jonah by my side to help me."

"Jonah is truly a caring man, Mary. I am so glad that you chose him."

"How could I not? I love him dearly."

"Well, I don't think you need my help as much as I thought you did. I'm going to retire for the night." He turned to exit.

"Good night, father."

"Good night, daughter."

Two weeks later Mary and Jonah were crowned King and Queen of England. Mary planned on following in her father's foot steps. For the next two years Mary and Jonah were fair and just rulers though, it soon became apparent that they were not producing offspring and trying several times. They did their best to keep it from parliament. Despite their child conceiving disabilities things were quite peaceful in merry old England.

One evening Mary, Jonah, and Nicolas were dining in the royal dining hall. Their conversations were heated and so were their debates until, the conversation was interrupted. Sir Percy entered the room with a frown on his face.

"I am sorry to interrupt you sirs and madam" said Percy ceremoniously.

Jonah had a bad feeling and instantly became worried by Percy's demeanor. He was usually extremely happy and amusing to be around. Jonah had a feeling something was wrong.

"What is, Sir Percy?" Asked Jonah.

"Sir, we have just received bad news about your homeland, Scotland. Your older brother has been on crusade." Percy looked around the table and saw everyone nodded at the knowledge.

"We are all well aware of my older brother's tactics for defending his country. Please continue to the point." Percy nodded.

"Yes, Sir. We have just received word that your brother, Jordan, and his wife, Laura have been killed in battle. Enemy forces surrounded the castle and killed almost everyone in it."

"My brother and sister-in-law are dead? This cannot be. How do you know this?"

"Well, Sir, Your family's trusted messenger, Jamal, escaped. That is why I said almost everyone in the castle. Jamal will tell you first hand what happened. There is one other thing, sir."

"What could it possibly be, Sir Percy?"

"Jamal ran from the castle on your brother's orders. He took with him Jordan and Laura's infant son, Prince Calvin."

Jonah looked stunned and sat up. "Calvin is alive?"

"Yes he is. Do you wish me to send in Jamal?"

"Yes, please do."

Percy left the room and soon Jamal entered carrying an infant in his arms. Mary ran up to him and clutched her nephew to her chest. She gave him to Jonah and he looked down at him with tears in his eyes.

"You are all that's left of them little one." Jonah not caring who saw began to silently sobbing for his brother and sister-in-law.

Mary looked tenderly at Jonah and turned her attention to Jamal.

"Jamal, what happened?" Asked Mary.

"Yes, Jamal. Please tell us what happened. I need to hear who is responsible for my brother and Laura's deaths." Jonah croaked.

"As you wish, Jonah. As you know King Jordan has been fighting along side his troops. He severely missed Laura and Calvin and decided to spend a few months at home before returning to battle. His plans were disturbed. Enemy forces planned a surprise attack and surrounded the castle. They attacked and killed everyone in the castle and have taken over the monarchy. Your brother told me to help Laura take Calvin to safety but Laura did not want to live without Jordan. She told me to take Calvin and get him to you. Jordan told me to tell you that he wants you and Mary to take care of Calvin and treat him like your own son."

Mary answered before Jonah could speak a word. "Of course we will take care of Calvin, to the memory of Jordan and Laura. Jamal, you are welcome to stay hear as long as you need."

"Thanks you, maim."

"No thanks necessary, Jamal. We trust you and you did a great favor to Jordan and Laura. As you know they both mean a lot to us so, does little Calvin here. He looks just like Jordan." Jonah smiled as he watched his wife coo over the little infant in her arms.

"Jamal?"

"Yes, Jonah?"

"There is something I need to ask you."

"Yes?"

Jonah looked Jamal straight in the eye. "Who killed Calvin's parents?"

Jamal returned his stare. He took a deep breath before answering. "Lenox and Lena, but they couldn't have done this themselves even with the help of the rebels. They had help from inside the castle.

“What are you saying, Jamal?”

“Sir, someone has betrayed them."

TO BE CONTINUED

Oxiate