OP Offline
Columnist
R
Comments go here. Thanks!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Hey, Rac, it's good to see this story come back! I was thinking this weekend about posting a note to encourage you, but I'm thrilled to see it wasn't needed.

I like this story. I like the parallel narratives, the way Clark and Lois are both being stretched beyond their capabilities, and how you're pulling the strings tight on each of them separately. They're nearing the breaking point, and they desperately need each other. Clark can help Lois realize what a super-powered being can't do (a real role reversal!) and Lois can help Clark heal mentally and emotionally.

You did a great job of showing Lois's temptation to take the law into her own hands and execute that rebel. I always thought that a real Superman would have to battle that desire on a daily basis, and Lois barely escaped that one. Maybe Perry could remind her that if she wants to set an example for her son, she has to obey the law, even when she thinks the lawmakers are complete idiots.

I'd bet Clark will call himself nineteen kinds of fool for leaving his son behind without a father, despite the absolute fact that there's no way he could have done anything different given the circumstances of his departure and his lack of knowledge of Jon's existence. And Lois will have to struggle with her dual role as working mom and superhero even when Clark does return, because he won't be ready to resume the hero mantle right away.

My only concern is how much longer you're going to torture these two. I don't see a resolution in sight, but I'm sure there is one coming. I hope so, anyway.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Rac, it's great to have you back, and this is such an intense, harrowing chapter. It's so fascinating and compelling to watch Lois and Clark both trying to deal with horrible war situations and their ramifications.

Again I prefer the Lois parts, for several reasons. One reason is simply that it is so tempting to try to imagine what it would be like if there really had been a superpowered hero or heroine here on Earth, who was trying to use his or her superhuman powers to do something about actual war situations. Am I the only one who starts thinking "Darfur" when I'm reading this?

I find it so fascinating to see that Lois really can do some things to help in Darfur - eh, wherever it was in Africa - but what she can do on her own is not enough. She can help, but not stop the war. And, unsurprisingly, the leaders of the big and mighty countries of the Earth were unwilling to commit themselves to a war effort that might put a stop to the atrocities. You made us see why those powerful leaders were so unwilling to fully back up Ultrawoman: If they supported her right to do whatever was necessary to help suffering civilians, why, the next time she might come to their countries and start demanding that they treat their people better.

It was also so fascinating, and harrowing, to see how Lois was burning herself out mentally, and how she came close to giving in to the terrible temptation of killing. You did that scene so well: Lois sees an extremely brutal man starting to rape a woman. Most of us women can probably imagine ourselves caught up in Lois's red-hot fury, so that we, like her, would hardly be able to stop ourselves from killing him. Yet for Lois, it was imperative that she got her fury under control, and that she didn't kill. If she had crossed that line, well.... Frankly, I don't want to think about it. I do think she may have destroyed herself.

One more thing. One incredibly poingnant and harrowing detail of your story was that when Lois arrived home after almost killing that man, she was unable to go straight to her son. Even though she hadn't actually killed, she had still lost something, and this made it harder for her to be the naturally caring mother she had always been before.

Oh, and I also liked Lois's explanation to why she had to keep getting so deeply involved in that war: It's because she needs to set a good example for her son. But really, she may be wearing herself down instead, so that she can't be much of an example to Jon at all. Perhaps rather the opposite.

And then there were the Clark parts. Rac, do you know what I have against them? It's nothing that has anything to do with your way of writing them. No, it's the whole set-up, the whole situation. I'm talking about, quite simply, the fact that Clark was willing to abandon the Earth, where he had unique powers and a totally unique ability to help others. He was willing to abandon his loving foster parents, who had raised him since he was a baby. He was willing to abandon the woman he loves. And what for? He abandoned all of this to go and fight a war on a planet where he himself would be nothing special. Where he wouldn't have any special powers that set him apart. He was willing to abandon his unique situation on the Earth, his unique gifts on the Earth, his loved one on the Earth, to go and fight a war on a planet he didn't know, where he should have realized he couldn't do much at all and where he would be nothing special. It irritates me, you know. I can't help it, I think Clark's decision to abandon his superpowers and his loved ones on the Earth for such a stupid war on a planet he doesn't know or understand is irresponsible. It's like saying that someone who is uniquely gifted and good for society in the U.S.A. should abandon all of that to go and fight in Iraq, because his presence in Iraq will turn the entire war around.... Honestly, people!!!

But even though I dislike and disapprove of Clark's decision to go to Krypton to fight that war at all, I'm fascinated by your way of showing us what the war has done to him. The psychological suffering, the mental trauma. You show us that so very well. And for all my reservations about the fact that Clark is on Krypton at all, I'm very much looking forward to the rest of your story... though probably more to the Lois parts than to the Clark parts!

This is a fascinating, compelling, harrowing and beautiful story.

Ann

Edit: Rac, I'm sure I made it sound as if I was criticizing your idea of making Clark go to New Krypton to fight a war. But I know, of course, that this wasn't your idea at all. It is very much a part of the LnC:TNAOS universe and canon. Perhaps because I have been a Superman fan for so much longer than there has been a LnC:TNAOS universe, I don't feel totally compelled to always respect that TV show universe and canon. Clark's war on New Krypton is very LnC:TNAOS, and it is definitely one of my least favorite aspects of that canon. But please understand that I'm not criticizing you for using a part of the LnC canon to tell a story. Rather I'm saying that I wish that that war on Krypton had not been a part of this canon.

So how can I put this, to make you see what I really mean? My objections to your story are about certain aspects of the LnC canon. The things I love about your story are, first, your brilliant "Lois parts", and second, your brilliant treatment of what to me is unsatisfactory LnC canon. Did that come out right?

Columnist
Columnist
Hi Rac,

It's so good to see this story back again.

Like everyone else, I'm amazed by how Lois and Clark's emotions are mirroring each other, though for different reasons. You write their inner turmoil so well.

I have so say that I do understand why Clark would have gone to New Krypton. I think Clark hoped he would find some sort of infinity with people of his own race and the fact that reality fell far short of his expectations must have disappointed him.

Also, I think he chose to go out of some sort of loyalty to his parents, who had done so much to save his life. Perhaps he was misguided, but I can understand his point of view.

But both Lois and Clark have discovered that neither of their good intentions have made a great deal of difference in the face of these terrible wars, though I'm sure that the people they have managed to save wouldn't agree.

I'm very interested to see how this story goes on and if Lois and Clark will ever be united. I do hope so, and I hope they can help each other to find peace and contentment. Neither can ever be the same again, but I hope they can find happiness together.

Yours Jenni

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Rac

I'm glad to see another part of this. smile

Poor Lois and Clark! smile1

Tricia cool

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Terry, I'm really glad you enjoyed this section. I agree that Clark will be kicking himself when he learns he left a son behind. I know it's tough to see how this will resolve itself, but I hope that it will be worth the wait.

Hi Maria, thanks for commenting. What Tao Scion meant in that section was that everyone who survived the destruction of Krypton did so because of Jor El, including Clark. Tao Scion thinks he's not doing his part to protect the people of New Krypton, especially Jor El's son.

Hi Ann, thanks for your comments. I understand that this arc isn't one you enjoy; I think that's true for lots of people. I've been hoping to at least make the people of New Krypton worth saving and to explain what Lois and Clark would have gone through had he actually left. While I agree that Superman could do a lot more good than Kal El in saving lives, I tried to show that part of Clark's motivation is to finish what his parents started. I'm glad you're reading, even though this isn't your favorite storyline and I'm glad that you're enjoying the sections about Lois.

Jenni, thanks for your comments. I agree that Clark was probably hoping to find some link to the Kryptonian people, but didn't actually find it. Thanks for your patience. I'm trying to keep writing when real life gives me the chance.

Hi Tricia, thanks for commenting. I hope to have more to post soon.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thank goodness you have been gone as long as I have been so I am actually now caught up on this story in a sense. smile

Jor El had defied the fates, and he’d saved his son. And now Tao Scion was failing that son and betraying the legacy of his greatest friend.
You got me with that line Rac. Wonderful and keep it up. I know you won't let it end with them in pain.

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."