[Chapter 5: Questions]

"Aw, man, I missed the beginning?" Jimmy complained as he joined the rest of the Planet's employees who had opted to stay late and participate in the pseudo viewing party of Superman's live television interview.

"You didn't miss anything, just the standard introductions," Lois said, rolling her eyes as he took the chair just behind her.

"Yeah, no questions have even been asked yet," someone said.

"Shh!" another person said in the back as the camera panned over Patricia Waters.
"We've selected some questions from the audience to ask you. Are you ready?" Patricia asked after smoothly moving from the commercial break.

They were in a similar set up as the first interview but were now in front of a live audience of roughly 500 people. Unlike some rowdy popular talk shows, the atmosphere was more relaxed and professional, although there was a child-like eagerness heavy in the air as well.

"I am," Superman answered, at ease.

"Alright, the first question is from Darla Marel. Please wave for us, Darla," Patricia said, looking out into the audience.

Bashfully, a middle-aged woman to the far left tentatively waved. Superman smiled at her.

"Darla's question is: Superman, your Foundation explained what brought about Jesse Stipanovic temporarily obtaining your abilities, but could something like that be done on purpose?" Patricia asked, reading from the first card of a stack in her hand.

Superman hummed thoughtfully before responding.

"Perhaps, but I feel it would be extremely irresponsible to try because it would be exceedingly dangerous. After all, there are a lot of unknowns about how exactly Jesse was able to absorb a portion of my energy in the midst of a lightning strike with no harm to himself. I'd rather not mess around with the amount of power that's in lightning, which is over 300 million volts of electricity. And while I am not harmed by lightning, I'll admit I don't enjoy getting struck. It's not comfortable," Superman explained, amazing everyone by his matter-of-fact tone.

"How many times have you been hit by lightning?" Patricia asked curiously.

Superman blinked, having to think about it.

"Two hundred and thirty seven times, but most of those were while I was flying through storms," he said with a shrug.

"Do you do that often?" she asked, just as bewildered by Superman's reality as the audience.

"To get above the storm, all the time," he said.

"That's amazing," she said, before refocusing on the cards in her hands and flipping to the next. "Well, this topic was inquired about by several in our audience in a few different ways, but we will be using Lucy Kay's question." Patricia motioned in request for Lucy to wave.

A plump lady in the far back, blushing bright red, waved.

"Lucy's question: Superman, concerning your statement on the impossibility of parentage after the Stipanovics' arrival at the Foundation — please forgive my bluntness, but you do realize what you've opened yourself up to, right?" Patricia read before glancing up at him.

Superman looked both surprised and amused before clearing his throat with a cough that sounded suspiciously like he was trying not to laugh, even as an undeniable blush pinked his cheeks.

"If you’re referring to what I believe you are,” he said, ignoring the giggles now sparking throughout the audience, “I doubt I fully do, if I’m honest. I really don’t understand why waiting to share one’s . . . intimate self is viewed the way it is.”

Patricia smiled gently at him, inwardly marveling at the godlike man’s clear bewilderment and finding the delicate way he approached the topic endearing. “Then why don’t you explain the way you see it and why?”

Superman shifted awkwardly in his chair but quickly settled as the redness of his face faded.

“There's a lot of reasons bundled up in it, but ultimately, the core reason why I haven’t surrendered myself to anyone yet is because I want to be certain that, when I do take that step, it’s with my soulmate. I want to give my wife the one thing I have never and will never give to anyone else."

Several in the audience swooned at his words and there were several ‘aww’s released.

“If you weren’t already the world’s most eligible and desired bachelor, you are now,” Patricia said, grinning. “And you know, I just realized I shouldn't be surprised that you're a romantic," Patricia mused aloud.

Superman laughed. "I've been called a sentimental softy before, so I’ll admit I’m a romantic.”

“Why is that? Why do you think you’re a romantic, I mean?” she asked, quickly clarifying.

“Most likely, my human parents. I’ve lived a sizable chunk of my life in a home where true love is real. They're devoted to and trust each other unequivocally, and they still hold deep affection for each other after all these years. They’re the reason why I am the way I am,” Superman explained before smiling softly. “Years ago, I asked my mom why she thinks they’re still in love, and she told me it's because they value and give proper attention to all aspects of love. Not just romantic love, but self-love, friendship, etcetera. Which means they apply this effort to all aspects of their lives, not just in their marriage. That answer, I think, has shaped me more than any other I have ever received."

"How so?" Patricia asked, very intrigued now.

"To have any kind of good relationship with anyone, friendship or otherwise, you first have to love yourself. Without getting preachy, if you don't really love yourself and act on it, it's easy to make bad decisions that can hurt you and those who love you, and it's really easy to fall into an abusive relationship. For example, if you don't view your body and soul as something special and unique, something worth taking care of and defending, why should you seriously think about decisions and consequences? And how can you stand up for yourself if you don't see yourself as valuable?" Superman asked.

“Wow. That is a good point,” Patricia conceded.

"Just telling you what I learned from my parents.”

“What about friendship?” she asked, deciding to continue down this vein.

“Well, friendship is a love that focuses on caring about another person enough to sacrifice for them. Whether that be giving them your time, energy, money, whatever. You can still love yourself and be giving, even selfless, after all,” he explained with a shrug before shifting in his chair.

"Very true." She glanced down at the cards in her hands. "Well, this next question is very fitting right now. Asked by Jorge Mills," she said, motioning to the audience as a big, burly man in the center stood up and gave a quick holler in greeting before sitting back down. "Thank you. Jorge asks: Superman, do you see yourself ever getting married?"

Superman leaned back in his chair, not quite sighing but close.

"Yes, I think so. Someday," he finally answered. "But as hopeful as I am, I'm also a realist. Although I'm pretty much physically identical to a human male, I cannot deny the fact that I am not human, but a Kryptonian. Asking someone to commit to me as I would like to commit to them is not a question to be asked or taken lightly - especially because I'm Superman. And even though the world does not know where I go when I relax, there will always be a level of danger and duty that comes with being me - and thus being with me.”

“What do you mean by that?” she asked.

“I have enemies and I have my limits. Nightfall is the perfect example. If the world needs me, I'll be there, even if the cost is my life," he answered plainly to the astonishment of those listening. "That's a lot to ask of someone, and while I don't believe it's too much to ask - as there are plenty of people whose spouses have dangerous but necessary jobs - it is something not everyone can deal with long term."

Patricia nodded understandingly before hesitantly asking a follow-up question. "And having children?"

"I hope it will be possible, but if not, perhaps adoption. Of course, such decisions will be made with my wife, but either way, I'll be open to whatever is available to us," Superman said.

Patricia smiled before turning to the next card. “Alright, one more question before we go to a commercial break. This one is from Helen Mays,” she said. An elderly, black woman near the front waved cheerfully. “Helen asks: Superman, I'm curious. Do you speak Kryptonian? I assume that is your people's language?"

Superman straightened with a smile. "Yes, but not often. Dahl rilshe himol tah? How are you doing? Lah El ragb tah. I hope you are well," he said, translating as he went before looking contemplative. "I've actually played around with the idea of putting together a sort of Kryptonian information package, especially since I've started work on recreating some of my people's technology, but I haven't been sure if people would be interested."

The audience quickly vocalized their surprise and curiosity.

"I think people are interested," Patricia chuckled.

"Alright. I'll get started on that then," Superman said, clearly taken aback but pleased. He leaned back in his seat and they went to a commercial break.

O o O o O

"When do you think you'll give another interview?" Lois asked as Clark sat down beside her on the couch.

They were in her apartment, and they had just finished dinner. Instead of delivery or take out, Clark had cooked, utilizing the pots and pans of her kitchen that had never truly been used before. Lois had watched in amazement as he made spinach lasagna and, for dessert, tiramisu. She could get used to this.

"Hopefully not for a long time," he said. "Especially since I have a few other things I'd like to focus on."

"Oh? Like what?" she asked teasingly.

Clark’s eyes sparkled with a hint of joy. "You," he answered, before leaning forward and kissing her full on the lips.

Although hesitant at first, he soon allowed himself to deepen the kiss, testing her response. He wasn't disappointed and soon had to pull back before he knew he wouldn't be able to stop.

"Wow," she said, even more dazed than he felt.

"Yeah," he agreed.

She smiled softly, cuddling up against his side.

"I can get used to this," she said.

"Me too," he said, before glancing at the clock and sighing. He gave her a tiny squeeze. "Unfortunately, I need to go soon. I need to pick up a package from Burton and deliver it to Dr. Klein."

"A package?" she asked, curiously.

"Yeah, and actually I meant to tell you about it the other day but I got distracted by the interview," he said, now a little nervous.

"Yeah . . . ?" she prompted.

"Not long after I made my initial appearance as Superman, pieces of a meteorite were found near where I crash landed. Due to the circumstances, it's clear that it's connected to Krypton — likely pieces of it. Fortunately, because of his contacts, Burton heard about it and kept it under wraps before contacting me."

"Why was that fortunate?" she asked.

"I ended up going to him to talk about it. During the talk, he showed me a piece and we quickly learned it's . . . well, I can't be around it. We don't know why exactly, but it hurts me. I was only exposed for a few seconds, but that was the first time I had ever felt anything beyond minor discomfort before, and it definitely weakened me."

"What?!" she gasped. "Now don't tell me this package is a sample of this stuff."

"It's radioactive and lead blocks it, so I'll be fine as long as it stays in the box."

"Why wasn't it destroyed?" Lois asked incredulously.

"We're pretty sure it's pieces of Krypton and that there are other bits out there. The month I arrived, there were several meteor showers around the world. So Burton and I decided it would be best to have some scientists study it in case any more is found in the future. Anyway, so far they've learned the radiation doesn't seem to hurt human DNA for some reason and might actually provide clean energy that can be harnessed. Which is why I'm taking a sample to Dr. Klein to look at. If we can figure out what it does to me exactly and determine if there's a way to counteract it or even if I can adapt to it over time, I won't have to worry about ever getting blindsided by it."

"Okay. So all of what's been found is locked away?" she asked.

"Deep under Cheyenne Mountain. With the radiation, it was easy for Burton to convince them to take every precaution."

"But now you're taking a sample out," Lois pointed out.

"Due to the crystal work Dr. Klein and I are doing, Burton suggested they provide us a sample to work on any technological advancements. Anything learned in that regard will be shared with them."

"Who knows what it can do to you?"

"Just you, my parents, and Burton. No one else knows about its effect on me. No one even knows about its connection to Superman," Clark explained.

"So during those few seconds, what did it do to you?" she asked.

"I felt dizzy and weak, and now that I have more experience with pain, the pain was very . . . deep. I'm not sure what would have happened if he hadn't closed that box as soon as he saw something was wrong, which was pretty much immediately," he said with a shiver.

"So what do you think Dr. Klein is going to be able to do? You better not expose yourself to this obvious poison!" she declared.

"From my encounter with the sound weapon, my nose ended up bleeding and Dr. Klein was able to store some of my blood for later study," he said. "I'm hoping he'll be able to learn something with that."

"But you'll have to tell him it can hurt you," Lois pointed out.

"Yes, I will,” he agreed.

“You trust him,” she stated.

“If I’m honest, with my life,” he said.

“Okay,” she said, appeased. “Just wanted to make sure.”

“Okay,” he said with a smile.

O o O o O

Kal landed on the roof of his Foundation and entered through the top entrance before heading to the lab.

"Evening, Kal," Dr. Klein said, looking up from his work.

There was a row of crystals in line with a row of sensors and electronics just above them.

"Hey, Bernie,” he said, closing and locking the door behind him.

Klein blinked at him curiously before he spotted the box in Kal’s hand. “Something wrong?”

“I’ll be telling Julie and Mav about this later, but I’d like you to get started on this right away,” he said, going to the table a few steps away. Bernard quickly put his work down and joined him.

“What is it?” Bernard asked as Kal set the metal container down between them before setting a key on top and an envelope beside it.

“This box cannot be opened while I’m in the room, and whenever you’re working on it, please lock the door and hang up a radiation warning sign,” Kal said.

Dr. Klein’s eyes widened as Kal continued.

“Long story short, inside are two samples of meteorite I believe are remnants of Krypton. The rest of it is secured in a military facility and currently being studied by scientists there," he said, before explaining what had happened to him when he had been exposed to it and what the scientists had learned so far before continuing. "My guess is that I'm absorbing whatever it is giving off, just like I do with sunlight, but instead of it making me stronger, it hurts me somehow. I'd like for you to figure out how it hurts me and if there's anything we can do to help protect me against it."

"Do you think there's more of it out there?" Klein asked.

"I suspect there's more, although I've only encountered it the one time, thankfully. To be honest, I would rather another encounter with Stoker's sound weapon than get exposed to kryptonite again. Kryptonite is what my friend and I named it, although only people who know about its effect on me call it that."

"Who knows?" he asked.

"My family and two very good friends, so not many. And although the US government is guarding and studying it, they don't know what it is or that it can hurt me," he said.

"Since they don't know that, I gather they would like us to take a look because of our progress on the memory crystals?"

Kal smiled, opening the envelope and handing it to him. "Yes, pretty much. Sorry I won't be of much help though, but if you want me to run numbers or set up any equipment before the kryptonite is involved, just let me know."

"Of course, of course!" Dr. Klein said, quickly growing excited at the prospect of another experiment as he skimmed the contents of the letter he had removed. "'Crystalline 297’. So it's a crystal?"

Kal nodded. "The one I saw glowed green. Apparently the other one glows red."

"Interesting. Well, I'll outline some tests I'll conduct for this General Newcomb and run them by you, along with the ones for you. I'll need some more cell samples, of course, but I should be able to learn a fair amount with your blood we have stored."

"Thanks. That was what I was hoping to hear. As for the cell samples, just let me know when you need them."

"Oh! That reminds me, come take a look at what I've found out from last night's test," Klein said, getting up and returning to the row of crystals. "I figured something out by accident - as most things often are - but anyway, I learned that if you start a signal pattern in one crystal and allow the signal to flow into another, when you stop the signal, the final crystal will actually echo the signal back into the first! There are some conditions required for that to happen, but this means there's immense programming capabilities! And it's easier than we previously thought!"

"That's great! My people used crystals like computers, so I'm glad we're closer to figuring out how," Kal said, pleased. "Well, I'll let you get to it while I update Mav and Julie, and possibly Howard. Since he's head of security, he should probably know this is here and why," Kal said as Klein began fiddling with the crystals.

"Okay, and thanks for trusting me with this. If there's anything I can do to at least mitigate whatever threat there is to you, I'll find it," Dr. Klein promised.

"Thanks, doctor."

Kal walked out, confident in his choice of friends.

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 04/18/22 09:31 PM.