Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
What did you think?? Were you able to guess anything? Have any favorite lines? I’d love to know! love

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That was cute! Though I wish it was longer, it went by like water! wink

I definitely wasn't able to guess anything! There were too many twists and turns, including... Lois thinking Clark might be in love with Superman! Hahahah! I don't know if there are other fics with that premise anywhere, but you may need to explore that idea!

I also loved the way Lois handled her rejection from Clark! And I loved the way she revealed to him she knew who he was, with all the details she spoke about him. That was heartwarming!

As for my favourite lines... hmm... I told you which are my favourite scenes, but as far as single lines go, I'll pick this one:

“I’m sure he’ll find you and talk to you soon.” Because he’s a damn lovesick fool.

because I love the way Clark talks snark about himself!

Keep up the good work!
Love,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Features Writer
Features Writer
Loved this a lot!

Clark fighting with himself and unintentionally digging himself in deeper and Lois being the best side of herself laugh hyper
I do wonder how she would have responded to Superman if she had seen him before she figured it out, but this is just as satisfying as I'm sure that would have been clap

Best line would have to be:

Originally Posted by KSaraSara
"So his housing status should dictat—wait, he doesn't have anywhere to live? Where does he go when he's not performing rescues? How does he relax? Clark! That's so sad...does he relax at your place? Does he have other friends he can talk to when he's had a hard day? Please tell me he doesn't spend all his time doing super feats—the man deserves to relax! Clark...are you still listening?"
It shows how much Lois really sees Superman, and how she really believes he's a person with needs and wants.

Thanks for sharing. Great one-shot for a Monday.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
*Melts into a big puddle of waffy Squee*

~•~
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
That was great! I liked the fight, Lois' confusion over why they were suddenly fighting, her storming out without her coat or purse (where were her lockpicks? Do I even want to know?), the fact that she made herself at home at Clark's place, and the gentle way she told him that she knew. No explosion, no accusation, no anger, just understanding and forgiveness on both their parts. Excellent tale, and maybe that's the way it should have happened. It would've save a lot of stupid later on.

My favorite part of a terrific story is the very end.

"Lois? Can I—" Her fingers flew to his lips again to stop him.

She leaned closer, and dropped her fingers...her mouth now millimeters away. “Clark,” she whispered against his lips. “Shut up and kiss me.”

Here's the song for that line. Enjoy.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Always love Clark being jealous of himself and Lois putting the pieces together. Nice job!

Joan

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Thanks, everyone for the amazing feedback!! love

Anna - Clark in love with Superman idea… *cough* lovetvfan and I may or may not have a plot bunny for that one. wink (It just might be a hot minute before we get to it, but yeah…) Speaking of lovetvfan, she was the brilliance behind the idea of how Lois would reveal that she knew! And lol yeah… Clark talking snark about himself is so much fun to write.

Blueowl - Glad you enjoyed!! I’m definitely a fan of showcasing the fact that Lois knows Superman better than anyone, sometimes even Clark himself. <3

Queen - I hope you were able to mop yourself up! But hooray that I made you melt!!!

Terry - Thank you!! And lockpicks… lol oops… maybe she found a paper clip? lol And I’d forgotten about that song! Thanks for the reminder so I could listen again! smile

scifiJoan - Yeah, the silly lug, being jealous of himself—must be so complicated! lol Glad you enjoyed!!

love

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

C
Blogger
Blogger
C

Another addition to my favourites list, Love this story.

To many twists and turns to guess where this was going.

Originally Posted by KSaraSara
"I can promise you I'm not madly in love with myself,"

Love how Clark lost his temper with Lois over something that was his own fault. Not to mention that he was almost spelling out the secret. He should have expected Lois to be waiting for him in the last place he would look.

Great reveal, always fun to see Clark jealous of him self. And great to have Lois realise that there is a real person inside the suit.

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Thanks, captainscout!! I’m honored that it’s made your favorites list! I had so much fun writing it. laugh Clark just always gets in his own way and has a tendency to underestimate Lois sometimes. wink

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Hi Sara!

I see there’s a lot of PML going around this past year. /settles in for the not-so-short haul/

Well, this story just flew in and landed in my head at 3:30 a.m. one day, and then it practically wrote itself in a manic frenzy over the course of a few days.
/squints/ you’re not supposed to dope your muses. /points at guidelines for proper muse care/

Thank you to lovetvfan, AnnieM, and KathyB for the help and enabling…I mean encouragement!!
clap

He'd effectively shot himself in the foot. The longest, most passionate kiss he'd ever shared with Lois...that feeling...oh, God, that feeling of her total abandon, her lips crushed against his as he'd turned and dipped her—as if they'd been dancing—so he could have better access to her mouth.
Trying to remember. That’s the Superman kiss, isn’t it?

And now? As he gazed at her across the conference room table, watching her stare, moony-eyed off into space, no doubt daydreaming about their incredible kiss, he knew for certain he shouldn't have done it.
Unnamed Chosen One: “I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, …”

"Oh, c'mon, Clark. Surely you heard that Superman kissed me earlier."
Yeah so? You do know he kisses his mother with that mouth.

I heard you kissed him," he said, unable to stop himself from correcting her, though he disguised it with a teasing tone.
Superman’s now pressing sexual harassment charges against her.

Unless he wanted to pursue her as Superman.
Wouldn’t be the first time. There’s got to be an entire sub-category on this topic alone.

You could be swept off your feet by just about...anybody." She looked at him...somewhat pointedly.
Yeah, anybody. But monogamously.

"Your problem, Lois, is that you can't admit your true feelings."
Yes, she’s completely denying her attraction to that darling Lex and using that flying freak as an excuse.

"As long as you're being honest with yourself, Lois," he teased.
Okay, good thing that the rewatch is coming up because I don’t remember how much of that was show and how much is original. I mean the last two paragraphs of course. But the rest, it’s a mixture?

He tuned into her heartbeat because he couldn't help himself. It was a little fast, but slowing to normal.
He’s a bit of an addict, isn’t he?

He'd foolishly let himself be wooed by her torturous distractions, thinking that, because she'd been relentlessly pursuing Clark, that it was Clark she was after.
Yeah, maybe he shouldn't operate a mirror while thinking

"That I'm attracted to you," she said matter-of-factly, like all of a sudden it was just okay for her to admit.
Eep!

Wait, what? All of a sudden, she was just okay admitting it? What had chang—oh. "You're not attracted to me anyway." She shrugged. Like she didn't care. At all.
At first I thought she was talking about Clark, then Superman photo, and now back to Clark. But no, she’s just talking to him.

She scrunched her nose at him and gave him a smirk. "You're an attractive man, Clark. And you know it. It's fine."
Oh? That’s a new tune. Aside from the nine o’clock Freudian slip, he is supposed to be the way way before.

he could keep up with Lois logic
Is this possessive Lois and a typo or is it ‘Lois logic’ with Lois as a qualifier?

"Are you sure you're okay? You're a bit slow today. I meant, it's fine if you don't like me like that."
It’s just, he’s really interested in Superman.

No. No, no, no...that wasn't it at all. That was definitely not fine. How had he managed to screw this up so royally?
laugh

It's fine because I know now that Superman loves me
Oh that’s evil!

Oh. There it was. Again. Hoisted by his own...spandex.
clap And ouch!

And now she was just going to...strategize with him, her best friend, about how to go out with...him...is this what headaches felt like?
No, it’s what it feels like when your heart gets friendzoned.

well, he couldn't exactly give her his own number.
You know, these days with people not even remembering numbers, it would work. So long as she doesn’t check her call log after laugh

's probably off resting and letting the pheromones—well, he's probably busy."
Maybe a blonde needed his attentions?

What exactly was Superman going to say to Lois? That he’d lied? Superman didn’t lie.
How about “marry me?”

He scratched at the paper with his pencil, drawing a square and writing a big, fat zero inside. He tapped the pencil nervously against the page.
Nice action beats!

None who were so brilliant and challenging and talented.
What about Lex?

Superman couldn't go on dates. Superman couldn't have a relationship.
They could invent a secret identity for Superman.

“What do you mean? If there’s something you—did he tell you something?”
No, but Superman borrows Clark’s shower and Clark’s exposed to Superman’s expressions of unfilled love.

“What do you mean? If there’s something you—did he tell you something?” she asked, dropping her pencil and sitting up a little straighter and adjusting her shirt.
You’re doing a bang up job with the actions to the dialogue.

"No, go ahead," she challenged him, and he marveled as he watched the insecurity slowly disappear behind indignation. "Please, tell me why you don't think I should date Superman."
Because Superman’s royalty and used to dating princesses. Nigerian. Themyscaran. New Kryptonian. And queens. Prom. Corn.

Can I talk to you about it?" "I-I guess so..."
She could tell her gay best friend about Superman’s performance in … certain areas.

Where does he go when he's not performing rescues?
He stays with the last blonde rescue of the day.

He...but Superman wasn't...real. He didn't need to relax because Clark did that. He...
clap

"I won't even tell him I love him. That's not important right now—" His eyes went wide. "You love him? Love him?" He didn't know if he was shocked or angry or thrilled.
Hmm…I may need to note this down for a Kerth nom. It’s kind of an…okay story so far.
wink

"How would you know? Maybe I've spent a lot more time with him than I've told you about!"
Yes but Superman tells Clark everything the next morning.

frustrated and hurt that she was just lying to him now, implying she knew Superman better than she did, and trying to convince him that...
Maybe she wants to make him jealous so he admits that he’s interested in her and not those blonde floozies she regularly catches him with.

If anything, I'd say I know Superman better than anyone on this planet other than maybe you."
Or his mother. Or his father.

He scoffed at that. "So what's his favorite color?"
Bright red. Because he wears those bright red briefs.

"His favorite food?" "Clark!" she yelled and stood abruptly.
No, she did not mean it in the over-yonder sense if the word.

"What is wrong with you? You can't just quiz me on trivial things. Love has nothing to do with knowing someone's favorite color.
But that’s what the do on those fake-marriage tests for the Greencards.

"But he's not real, Lois! He's just some flashy costume and exciting powers. He doesn't have a favorite color or food or a place to live.
Umm Clark? You’re making a scene. It’s kind of embarrassing.

Anger roared in her eyes, her nose flared, and her hands were fists at her side. And then she stormed past him through the open conference room door, yanked open the door to the stairwell and disappeared behind the door as it slammed shut behind her.
And now she’s ticked off. Only question is, did she also figure it out?

She'd forgotten her purse. For most, he'd assume that would mean they'd be back soon and that they wouldn't get far, but with Lois...that guaranteed nothing.
She could be snatched by the Daily Kidnapper. They still haven’t found him and at least three interns and one reporter have gone missing in that stairwell in the past year alone.

And she believed that he deserved a personal life. That he should relax after a hard day's work. That he needed a friend to talk to after a difficult rescue.
Someone to lie down with. Nekkid.

She just didn't know who the man underneath the suit was. It was time she did. She deserved that much.
He’s going to tell her about Lara and Jor-El, about his wife Zara and his cousin Kara, who is presently interning with Cat? About how he’s left his world to fend for itself under the cruel thumb of Nor so he could have a rumspringen?

The absolute least he could do was spend 30 seconds to make sure she didn't have to worry about the work they didn't finish because he'd caused a fight.
Or in case they end up on an impromptu honeymoon?

A small note of panic started to play in his chest, her penchant for being in mortal danger ever-present in his mind. He stayed hovering over her building and stretched his hearing once again, listening intently for her heartbeat or any sounds of distress she might be making. But there was nothing.
She’s probably already dead in a dark alley, having given up on getting rescued by Superman.

In fact, he was starting to think he should have left her purse and coat at the Planet at her desk, because that would be the first place she'd go to look for them.
Yes, when the police start looking for her in 96 hours (double the normal time since she’s a known disappearing act), they’ll find her stuff at his place and haul him off to the station.

wasn't until he'd closed and locked the door and turned around and looked up that he saw her. Sitting there on his couch.
Um did that rascal the Prankster kidnap her, drain her, and then prop her in her partner’s living room?

She'd made herself comfortable, of course. Helped herself to a cup of tea and his Midwest U sweatshirt. Her shoes were off and set to the side of the couch, and she had both legs curled up on the couch underneath a throw blanket.
Sounds comfy instead of mad.

"I picked the lock," she said simply, not moving from her cozy spot on the couch.
Is she hiding a Superman cape under the blanket?

He nodded quickly, trying to snap himself out of this stupor. He set everything down on his kitchen table and headed for the couch. He sat down, not on the cushion next to her, but at the opposite end of the couch, his legs turned to face her.
Should we tell Lois that Cat tried the girlfriend experience first instead of vamping out and yet she still failed. Now, Lois gets the chance to fail in both approaches.

He looked up to meet her eyes, hoping that she might give him some inspiration of where to start, how to even begin to untangle this mess he'd made.
He could offer a massage?

Because, yeah, he knew now he was wrong, but he was wrong about oh so many things.
Oy, he got a “How to be a husband for Dummies” on his way home?

Nodding was safe for now.
Nice qualifier:D

"Superman is real," she said, her voice quiet but sure.
No, that’s just the pills talking.

"His favorite color is blue," she said softly.
/Points at earlier fdk comment/ Okay, it was “red” not “blue”, but I was torn between the two. “red” just was funnier from the male cliché perspective evil

She finally looked back at him, her eyes steady. "His favorite movie is Bull Durham, but he pretends it's Lethal Weapon when I come over because he knows that I like it better."
shock See, I told ya she’s figured it out!
Lois: /Opens Kerth cabinet and points/

Say something, Clark." There was a slight tremor to her voice now, all the calm and bravado worn off. "Can...can I kiss you?"
shock laugh clap

More tears spilled down her cheeks as bit at her bottom lip and nodded desperately.
awwwwwwwwwww

He did too, and like a song, he finally heard her heartbeat fill his senses.
Awww, great work with the heartbeat build up.

”You can’t just tell someone you love them, kiss them like that, and…what…You didn’t expect me to forget that…did you?”
Well it’s one of his superpowers.

"You can't kiss me like that and say you're not real." Her eyes darted to his lips briefly.
clap

"And I was fuming, furious that you had the gall to tell me what my own feelings were and accuse me of...being so shallow that I'd only want Superman—you—for your powers and your looks."
Well, it does look like the obvious answer based on her actions.

you acted differently…flirtier with him, er, me in the suit? Then you’d turn around and call me—Clark—less than.”
Yeah, well, we’ll talk again when she shows up as the stripper for his bachelor party and he doesn’t recognize her.

Search for a secret journal you were keeping, detailing your crush on him." "What? My what?"
See?

"You were leaving...me." Her voice cracked a little. "Just when I was starting to feel...and then you weren’t attracted to me when I know we were all sprayed…" She paused, the corner of her mouth turning down for a frown. "I just...it just didn't make sense. Because I'd thought...I'd been sure...and then I wasn't..."
Yes. He’s the perfect girlfriend for a hardboiled Metropolite. And it explains Cat Grant.

It was devast—It was almost reassuring to think that it wasn't me specifically you didn't want...I just didn’t…I was a little—" "I want you," he blurted out. "I've always wanted you. The spray didn't work on me bec—"
laugh

"I can promise you I'm not madly in love with myself," he teased, hoping to make her smile again.
Not like Lex is with Lex?

“Do you trust it?” His heart hung suspended. “No,” she said simply, softly, giving his hand a squeeze. She looked back up into his eyes. "But I trust you."
Awwwwww

Lois? Can I—" Her fingers flew to his lips again to stop him. She leaned closer, and dropped her fingers...her mouth now millimeters away. “Clark,” she whispered against his lips. “Shut up and kiss me.” The End
At least he’ll be well trained for the wedding.

That was a great tale!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh my, I loved it! I know there's a lot of PML rewrites (or add-ons, like this), but that's just because it's one of the best episodes and exploring other alternatives is so much fun =)

KSaraSara, there are so many wonderful lines, I can't pick my favorites. Lots of rotflol

Thank you to Michael for resurrecting this thread!

-Bek

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Well, this story just flew in and landed in my head at 3:30 a.m. one day, and then it practically wrote itself in a manic frenzy over the course of a few days.
/squints/ you’re not supposed to dope your muses. /points at guidelines for proper muse care/

LOL! I didn’t do it on purpose…who knows what she gets into on her own!

He'd effectively shot himself in the foot. The longest, most passionate kiss he'd ever shared with Lois...that feeling...oh, God, that feeling of her total abandon, her lips crushed against his as he'd turned and dipped her—as if they'd been dancing—so he could have better access to her mouth.
Trying to remember. That’s the Superman kiss, isn’t it?

Yes!! And would you believe that kiss is 25 seconds long?? I timed that sucker! It was a LONG kiss! lol

Unless he wanted to pursue her as Superman.
Wouldn’t be the first time. There’s got to be an entire sub-category on this topic alone.

…I actually have a plot bunny or two…

"As long as you're being honest with yourself, Lois," he teased.
Okay, good thing that the rewatch is coming up because I don’t remember how much of that was show and how much is original. I mean the last two paragraphs of course. But the rest, it’s a mixture?

I think most of it was original!

He tuned into her heartbeat because he couldn't help himself. It was a little fast, but slowing to normal.
He’s a bit of an addict, isn’t he?

He IS! Especially in my stories because… GAH, I’m a sucker for him listening to her heartbeat.

he could keep up with Lois logic
Is this possessive Lois and a typo or is it ‘Lois logic’ with Lois as a qualifier?

It’s the latter… hmm, maybe I should change it to Lois Logic for clarity…

"Are you sure you're okay? You're a bit slow today. I meant, it's fine if you don't like me like that."
It’s just, he’s really interested in Superman.

About that… lol

It's fine because I know now that Superman loves me
Oh that’s evil!

Right?? But it’s directly from the show! This is what spawned the whole thing… I was meant to be watching HiM for research on a Fade to Black story angel-devil but thought I really ought to watch the episode right before it first… enter PML. And right before that mega-long kiss, he says, “Lois Lane, I love you.” For EVERYONE to hear! What a freaking lunkhead! So yeah. lol

Oh. There it was. Again. Hoisted by his own...spandex.
clap And ouch!

Haha, right?? And thank you! I was very proud of this line! grin

He scratched at the paper with his pencil, drawing a square and writing a big, fat zero inside. He tapped the pencil nervously against the page.
Nice action beats!

“What do you mean? If there’s something you—did he tell you something?” she asked, dropping her pencil and sitting up a little straighter and adjusting her shirt.
You’re doing a bang up job with the actions to the dialogue.

Thanks!! I love hearing that! And I love that this one flowed so easily — because sometimes it feels like these don’t come off as well as I’d like.

He...but Superman wasn't...real. He didn't need to relax because Clark did that. He...
clap

Whee! Thanks!

"I won't even tell him I love him. That's not important right now—" His eyes went wide. "You love him? Love him?" He didn't know if he was shocked or angry or thrilled.
Hmm…I may need to note this down for a Kerth nom. It’s kind of an…okay story so far.
wink

Awwww thank you!! blush

Anger roared in her eyes, her nose flared, and her hands were fists at her side. And then she stormed past him through the open conference room door, yanked open the door to the stairwell and disappeared behind the door as it slammed shut behind her.
And now she’s ticked off. Only question is, did she also figure it out?

Not at this point, but she’ll put together the pieces soon enough!

Say something, Clark." There was a slight tremor to her voice now, all the calm and bravado worn off. "Can...can I kiss you?"
shock laugh clap

Hee hee!

He did too, and like a song, he finally heard her heartbeat fill his senses.
Awww, great work with the heartbeat build up.

Oooh thanks for noticing!!

"You can't kiss me like that and say you're not real." Her eyes darted to his lips briefly.
clap

Another of my favorite lines in this fic!

Thank you SOOO much for all the wonderful comments! love

Originally Posted by SuperBek
Oh my, I loved it! I know there's a lot of PML rewrites (or add-ons, like this), but that's just because it's one of the best episodes and exploring other alternatives is so much fun =)

KSaraSara, there are so many wonderful lines, I can't pick my favorites. Lots of rotflol

Thank you to Michael for resurrecting this thread!

-Bek

Thank you, Bek!! I’m so glad you enjoyed!!

Sara smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Hi Sara!
LOL! I didn’t do it on purpose…who knows what she gets into on her own!
/imagines muse with chocolate-smeared lips glaring back at author while guarding her liberated DFCBs/

Yes!! And would you believe that kiss is 25 seconds long?? I timed that sucker! It was a LONG kiss!
shock Well, the rewatch is likely tonight.

…I actually have a plot bunny or two…
laugh FoLCs do have shared kinks?

I think most of it was original!
clap It did work really well.

He IS! Especially in my stories because… GAH, I’m a sucker for him listening to her heartbeat.
They could play naughty-nurse and doctor-with-stethoscope.

It’s the latter… hmm, maybe I should change it to Lois Logic for clarity…
And/or add a hyphen.

I was meant to be watching HiM for research on a Fade to Black story
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

And right before that mega-long kiss, he says, “Lois Lane, I love you.” For EVERYONE to hear! What a freaking lunkhead!
Yes, he might do a bit of mixed signals, doesn’t he?
LOIS: I have that green baseball bat somewhere that I got from STAR Labs.

Thank you SOOO much for all the wonderful comments!
You’re welcome!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ahhh, it's been so long since I first read this fic, and it *still* gives me so many feels! I have once again melted into a puddle of squee. XD So Beautiful!

~•~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard