Set pre Lois and Clark dating, no specific setting. A bit of a story 'stub', if you will, and a bit darker than something I usually write.

The gloomy grey sky hung heavily, obscuring even the foothills of the eastern slopes. It was late spring, yet here in the Colorado Rockies, snow fell thickly in the mountains, sleeting and raining alternatively in the lower elevations. Thankfully he didn’t feel the cold, but he was exhausted.

Weeks of searching had taken their toll. Fast searches, desperately listening for her cries, anything he could use to pluck her from danger as he’d done so many times before. He’d crisscrossed his way across the Contiguous United States, venturing into Canada and Mexico when he couldn’t find her.

When the evidence supplied to him suggested certain areas to scrutinize, he’d slowed down, scared to death of missing something. He’d searched and searched until he’d dropped with exhaustion, and after a little rest, had continued searching, terrified he was finally too late.

Now he was hunting for any old Cold War era missile silos or bunkers, typically lined in lead. Perhaps she’d been taken there? He scanned for any signs of inhabitation, finding more than he thought in the bleak landscape, but no sign of her.

Very faintly, on the northern breeze, he could hear a cry on the periphery of his super hearing range. He turned into the wind, heading towards where he guessed the cry had come from, straining to hear any more. Slowing, wondering if he’d heard an animal and in desperation the faint sound had morphed into a human cry.

As the sun began to set behind the mountains he heard the cry again.

Quiet. Almost whispered.

She wasn’t screaming for help; she was barely raising her voice. She was close by, he was sure of it.

His heart leapt in hope and fear.

He flew into the canyon the narrow, frigid river had carved, and after a few twists and turns, found her, hanging on desperately to the steep embankment, high above the icy rapids.

His first impulse was to call her name, swoop in, wrap his arms around her, and leave, but his instincts screamed at him not to. One of her arms was wrapped securely around a tree root that hung over the cliff and if she wasn’t ready for him to move her, he could easily hurt her. Instead he flew up behind her and gently wrapped his arms around her waist to shelter her from the cold wind, and to anchor her to him.

“Let go Lois, I’ve got you,” he murmured gently

“No,” was her weak response.

“It’s ok, I’m here,” he tried to convince her, wondering if he should try to pry her hands from their deathly grip.

“Why now?”

“Huh?” He queried, confused.

“Hold on, hold on,” she mumbled. “You’ve been telling me to hold on. Now let go?”

Clark was concerned. Lois was so cold, mumbling, and barely coherent. He wasn’t sure she was really aware she was safe. “I’m right here,” he said as he pushed his body against hers, hoping his warmth would help convince her he wasn’t a hallucination. “You can let go.”

“No, not yet. I’m not ready yet,” she whispered.

He could force her, in her weakened state it wouldn’t take much, but he couldn’t tell how hurt she was at the moment. She was bruised and scratched, her clothes had tears in them and he could tell at least one of her fingers was broken. Her hands, still holding on desperately to the tree roots, were alarmingly pink, and he wondered if she could easily release her grasp.

“You’re safe now, please, let go,” he begged, still talking softly.

“Clark.”

It wasn’t a question. He gulped nervously and made a split second decision, wondering if Lois was hallucinating, or lucid. “I’m here Lois,” he answered.

“I’m sorry, Clark. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s ok, Lois.” He had no idea what she was apologizing for, but he felt her relax against him.

“I’m so tired, Clark.”

“Then let go. I’m right here.” He reached one hand up to the hand that held a death grip on the root, gently placing his palm over her frozen hand. He’d considered using his heat vision, but hadn’t wanted to cause further pain in thawing her hand too quickly.

She sighed and leaned back into his arms, “Ok, Clark,” she whispered. “Please forgive me.”

He felt her lose consciousness as she went limp in his arms. Her one arm, still wrapped around the tree branch, but the grip released. Gently, he untangled her arm and cradled her close to him, hoping his warmth would keep her form getting any colder as they flew. He quickly looked around, trying to see if anyone was watching their captive escape, and to engrave the location in his mind so he could give the police a location on a topographical map once he returned. Within seconds he was flying as fast as possible with his precious cargo, to Metropolis General, exhausted, relieved, and his mind pulled in many directions. Regardless, he’d found her. That was all that mattered.

Feedback

Last edited by Toomi8; 12/31/21 12:02 AM.