Epilogue

December 13, 2008

Lois descended the stairs and followed the voices to the kitchen, her strappy gold heels clicking across the hardwood floors, skirt swishing around her legs. The black satin dress she’d bought for the Daily Planet’s annual charity ball had a flared, asymmetrical skirt that was floor length in the back but hit just below the knee in the front, showing off a generous portion of leg. The kintsugi necklace Clark had given her lay in the center of her chest, framed by the deep v of the dress’ neckline, which tapered to narrow shoulder straps that criss crossed her shoulder blades, leaving most of her lower back bare. Her hair fell in loose waves, framing her face.

When she entered the room, all conversation stopped. Her eyes flitted from her children, to her mother in law, to her husband.

“Is that a good silence or a bad silence?” she joked.

“You look like a princess!” JP exclaimed.

“No, you look like a fashion model!” Mattie said, a far higher compliment in her eyes.

JP hopped down from the chair where he’d been helping Martha stir muffin batter and rushed toward her. Clark, dressed and ready to go in his tux, moved slightly faster than he ever would in public, and snagged his son with one arm around the waist. He wiped his hands and face thoroughly on a towel before releasing him, and Lois smiled her appreciation.

She hugged her son and then turned to her husband.

“Well?” she said softly, turning slightly and glancing at him over her shoulder so he could glimpse the back of the dress. She knew she looked beautiful, but wanted desperately to hear him say it.

He shook his head and exhaled loudly. “Lois,” he said finally, his voice low and husky. “You are the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. If we weren’t already married, I’d propose on the spot.”

She laughed, delighted by both his compliment and his reminder of their marital status. He closed the distance between them, wrapping his arms around her waist, and she wrapped her right hand around his neck, resting the left on his chest and admiring her rings. “Too late for that,” she said lightly. “The deed is done.”

“Technicality,” he said with a shake of the head. “I’d marry you a thousand times.”

She stepped back and looked him up and down, suddenly wishing they could just stay home.

“Well?” he teased.

She laughed, but she knew he could hear the racing of her heart and the quickness of her breath, and they told him more than she ever could with words. “I’m speechless,” she said finally.

Clark raised an eyebrow and grinned. “Truly, the highest of compliments from Lois Lane.”

“Lois Lane Kent,” she rejoined immediately. “I mailed in the paperwork yesterday.”

His face softened, his teasing grin replaced by a tender smile, his eyes full of love and awe, and he reached up to cup her cheek. “Lois Lane Kent,” he repeated softly.

“We should get going,” she said finally, stepping back and turning to face the rest of their family.

“We’ll just finish up here,” Martha said, indicating their baking project, “and then we’ll head over to Grandma’s for a sleepover.”

The children cheered, and Lois smiled. “Thanks, Martha.”

“You two just have a great time. Don’t give us a second thought.”

“Thanks, Mom. All right, Mrs. Kent,” Clark said with a grin, holding out her winter coat. “Let’s get this show on the road.”

She slipped her arms in the sleeves and kissed her children quickly, then allowed him to lead her to the garage.

They rode to the Metropolis Grand in a comfortable silence, snow falling gently outside the warm car. He held her hand while he drove, bringing it to his lips occasionally for a kiss.

“What are you thinking about,” he asked gently as they neared the hotel. “Are you nervous?”

“Not really,” she said honestly. “I was just thinking that I can’t wait to dance with you.”

“I can’t wait either. I love dancing with you.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing Claire, too,” she said. When Jimmy and Claire had called them on the Sunday after Thanksgiving to share the news of their engagement, Lois and Clark had been thrilled for them. And then had shared their own news to a chorus of delighted gasps. Since then, Lois had seen Jimmy at work, but both couples had been too busy outside of work hours to coordinate a time to meet and celebrate.

Clark nodded. “I want to hear all the sordid details. He waited long enough -- I hope he made it good.”

Lois laughed. Clark pulled into the circular drive in front of the opulent hotel, and slowed to a stop at the valet parking stand. Lois waited as Clark exited the car and came around to her side to open the door for her. He offered her his hand and she took it, standing and then tucking her hand into the crook of his arm. They entered the hotel, checked their coats, and then he rested a hand on the small of her back, leading her into the ballroom.

Her eyes drifted over the familiar faces. Most of the Daily Planet senior staff was in attendance as well as the executives. The rest of the guests were local dignitaries, politicians, business executives and philanthropists willing to shell out the exorbitant ticket prices to benefit this year’s charity, the Metropolis Children’s Home.

Before she could ask Clark if he wanted to dance, she spotted John Peterson, the assistant Sports Desk editor headed their way. He’d been a new hire around the same time as her, and he and Clark had been friendly during his years at the paper.

“Clark!” he said as he approached. “I heard Lois was sporting her rings at work last week and hoped you might make an appearance tonight. Looks like congratulations are in order.”

Clark grinned widely and Lois flushed with a mixture of happiness and embarrassment. She could never quite get used to her love life being a source of speculation, even when it was well intentioned.

“Thanks,” Clark said sincerely, accepting his friendly handshake. His thumb began to make circles on the bare skin of her lower back, and she inhaled sharply. Thankfully the music and the general din of background noise in the ballroom swallowed her gasp, and she was able to keep her face neutral. She listened quietly as Clark talked to John for a few minutes, though she would have been hard pressed to recall any details of the discussion later.

“I should go find my own wife,” he said finally. “Congratulations again, both of you. Lois, you look lovely tonight.”

“Dance with me?” Clark said, his voice in her ear, his breath soft on her neck. She nodded immediately, letting him steer her to the dance floor and smiling widely as he slid his hand from the small of her back to her hip. She slipped her hand into his, and rested the other on his shoulder, her fingers drawing patterns gently.

They spun slowly around the dance floor, eyes only for each other, completely enchanted.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Jimmy and Claire dancing closer and closer to them. As they approached, Jimmy dropped Claire’s hand and reached toward them. “Can I cut-”

“Don’t even think about it,” Clark said, tightening his grip on Lois' waist.

She laughed, and smacked him gently on the shoulder. “Clark!”

“He can dance with his own fiance,” Clark said with a laugh, still refusing to relinquish her.

“Fine!” Jimmy said, laughing now too. “Maybe later.”

“Claire,” Lois said, drawing her attention. “I want to see the ring.”

She blushed and held out her hand, clearly delighted.

“It’s beautiful,” Lois said.

“Please tell me he made it worth the wait,” Clark teased. “He’s been rehearsing for a year.”

Jimmy blushed. “Hey! Don’t go telling all my secrets!”

Claire smiled and dipped her head. “It was perfect,” she said.

“Good,” Clark replied. His hand left Lois’ waist just long enough to clap Jimmy on the arm. “Congratulations, again. I’m so happy for you.”

“Same,” Jimmy replied. “I couldn’t be happier for you both. I feel like all is right in the world again.”

Lois smiled, and rested her head on Clark’s shoulder. Jimmy and Claire twirled off, giving them some space, and Clark squeezed her happily and then went back to gently stroking the bare skin of her back. She sighed happily, then laughed.

“Why are you laughing when I’m dancing with you? I swear you’re going to give me a complex,” he teased.

“I’m not laughing at you. I’m just happy.” She paused. “And I’m a little bit laughing at you refusing to let Jimmy cut in.”

He laughed too. “You can dance with anyone you want later. I’m just not ready to let you out of my arms yet. We just got here.”

She lifted her hand from his shoulder and stroked his cheek. “I don’t want to dance with anyone else. I was actually thinking I wish I’d been that bold years ago. Do you remember the charity ball when Mayson cut in while we were dancing?”

“Mayson?” Clark’s brow furrowed. “Mayson Drake? God, I haven’t thought about her in ages. She cut in while we were dancing?”

“Yes. You don’t remember?”

He paused. “I remember that ball. It was the urban renewal ball or something, right? Your Uncle Mike catered it. It was when we were first investigating Intergang. I remember that dress you wore. You were stunning. I remember dancing with you.” He raised his eyebrows and smiled. “You were smiling at me and… oh yeah, I do remember that. She asked to cut in and you let her. You danced with Perry instead.”

“I was eaten alive with jealousy, though I never would have admitted it at the time,” she said, stroking the back of his neck. “I was a wreck that whole week. Sulking in Perry’s office about how much I hated her, and how she was going to steal you from me.”

He rolled his eyes and smiled. This wasn’t the first time he’d heard her confess her jealousy over his attention toward Mayson back before they were officially dating. She knew it made him laugh, the idea that she could have ever believed she could lose him, when he had been so clearly head over heels for her, and she had been the one dragging her feet.

“I should have told her no. Go find someone else to dance with.”

Clark laughed, his eyes twinkling. “That would not have been very nice.”

“I wanted to dance with you so badly that night. I was dying of jealousy. You danced with her so many times.”

He bent his head to hers, lowering his voice. “But I didn’t come to her apartment later that night and show her real dancing.”

She pulled him down for a kiss, unable to resist. “You should have come to me as Clark,” she whispered. “Or told me the truth. Instead you came and whisked me off my feet and confused me all over again. I was home longing for my partner, jealous that I didn’t get to finish my dance with him, dreaming about that dance, and then you float through my window…”

“I know, but I couldn’t help it,” he confessed. “You were so beautiful. You left before I could dance with you again. I just wanted to see you. I only meant to stay for a moment. You were the one who asked me to dance.”

“And you were the one who told me that what we were doing wasn’t dancing,” she teased.

“Do you wish I hadn’t?” he asked, seriously. “Should I have stayed away? Or refused to dance? Do you think it set us back?”

She smiled softly and shook her head, running her fingers through his hair. “No. Maybe we weren’t ready yet for anything else. Maybe it was part of our journey. And that night, at that point in my life, that was the most romantic night of my life. When you closed the window and dipped me and then pulled me back into your arms...I thought I could die happy.” She laughed at her younger self.

“It was the most romantic night of my life too,” he said, smiling at her sweetly. “The way you looked at me… It was a dream come true. It was a little bittersweet at the time, because…” He trailed off and she nodded, understanding.

“It probably wasn’t the wisest idea,” she said. “But in retrospect, I’m glad we have that memory. I don’t regret it.”

He kissed her again, sweet and chaste. “I’ll dance with you when we get home,” he promised, and she stroked his neck and gazed at him adoringly

They danced a few more songs and then made their way off the dance floor to socialize. They found Jimmy and Claire, and finally got to hear the whole story of the proposal. The moonlit stroll around the pond near her parent’s home. The whispered words of love. Jimmy, finally, down on one knee with the ring.

“He said all the right things?” Clark asked Claire, and Lois leaned back against his chest, smiling as he wrapped his arms around her. She stroked his arms gently, fingertips tracing the lines of his muscles through the soft fabric of his shirt.

Claire nodded, blushing again. “It was beautiful.”

“There are perks to marrying a writer,” Lois said with a soft chuckle. “They always find the most beautiful things to say. They write the most beautiful love letters.”

Clark tightened his arms around her and rested his cheek against hers, and she signed happily.

“I want to hear more about the wedding,” Claire said. “You really just decided and went to the courthouse the next day?”

“I would have gone the same day, but Clark’s mom was coming the next day anyway so we decided to wait for her.”

“You didn’t want even a small ceremony?” she asked.

Lois shook her head. “We already had a perfect wedding. This was just a chance for us to make things right legally. What about you? Have you thought about what kind of ceremony you want? How many guests you want? Where you’ll have it? When?”

Lois felt the rumble of Clark’s laughter. “Don't interrogate the poor girl.”

Claire laughed and gave Jimmy an impish grin. “Oh, don’t worry. I’ve had plenty of time to think, so I have lots of plans.”

Lois laughed, and then glanced up to see Gavin approaching. She felt Clark’s arm tighten reflexively, and she rested a hand on his.

Gavin shook Jimmy’s hand and kissed Claire on the cheek, offering his congratulations. Then he turned to face her. “Lois, I’m so glad you made it this year,” he said with a nod. “I don’t seem to recall you attending in the past.”

“It’s been a few years,” she agreed. “I don’t think you’ve met my husband.”

Clark released her and extended his right hand. “Clark Kent.”

“Of course,” Gavin said, smiling. “Your reputation precedes you. You know, if you ever decide to come back to reporting, there’s always a spot for you here. Reuniting the Lane and Kent team would be quite a coup for The Daily Planet.”

Clark smiled, and Lois could feel him relaxing. “I’m pretty happy at the University. But I appreciate that.”

“I read your book,” Gavin continued. “The new one. It was excellent. It gave me a lot to think about as I steer our coverage. In fact, I’ve been thinking about creating a full-time position for an ombudsman. I don’t suppose that’s something that would interest you.”

“I’m flattered,” Clark said, and Lois smiled at his surprise. “I truly don’t see myself leaving my position at the University. But I’d be happy to sit down with you sometime to discuss the position — what you might expect in terms of duties, what to look for in a candidate, that sort of thing. If you’d be interested in that.”

“I’d like that very much,” Gavin said enthusiastically. “Let’s set something up early in the new year.”

Clark nodded in agreement, and Gavin shook his hand again. “All right, enough shop talk. I’ll let you go. I’m sure you’d rather be dancing with your wife right now than talking to me. It was nice to meet you. Lois,” he said, taking her hand and kissing it. “Delightful as always.” She rolled her eyes, and he smiled and turned to continue making his rounds.

She turned to face Clark, her hands sliding up to his neck, her head cocked expectantly, a playful smile on her lips. His arms circled her waist, and he shook his head and laughed ruefully. “You win. He’s a nice guy.”

“If anyone should be jealous, it’s me,” she said with a laugh. “Clearly he’s your biggest fan.”

“I thought you were my biggest fan,” he teased.

“Goes without saying,” she said softly.

He cupped her cheek and smiled at her sweetly. “I’ll tell you my favorite part of that exchange,” he said conspiratorially. “It was when you introduced me as your husband. I never get tired of hearing that.”

‘Mmm. Me too,” she said, laughing with delight. “I love saying it. Maybe I should take you around the room and approach everyone I know. ‘Have you met my husband?’ ‘You remember my husband?’ ‘Let me introduce you to my husband.’”

He threw his head back and laughed, and her heart soared.

“Come dance with me again,” he requested, stepping toward the dance floor, tugging her with him. She nodded and followed, sliding into his arms.

Her heart swelled as she allowed him to lead her around the floor, content in his arms as she had been so many times over the years. Her mind drifted back over memories of so many balls past: their first as a married couple; the year they’d only just discovered she was pregnant with Mattie; the last time, when she was carrying JP, bittersweet without Perry.

She rested her head on his shoulder and drifted further back, to that ball she’d mentioned earlier, when she had stepped aside and left him on the dance floor. And suddenly she remembered her words to Perry when he’d asked if she was okay.

“I think you’re right,” she had told him. “I could never lose Clark.”

She’d had no idea then how much was in store for them, how many challenges and how great. But she’d known that she could trust him, and she’d known that their futures were tied together. She had known that he was special to her, that she needed him in a way she’d never needed anyone. She’d known that somehow things would work out, and they would find their way to each other.

And now, in his arms, with his ring back on her finger where it belonged, she felt that again. That overwhelming sense of rightness as she looked back on her life and saw him beside her at every important moment.

She reached to stroke his cheek, overwhelmed by her love for him, and in his eyes she saw her past, her present, and her future.

They were bound together despite, or perhaps because of, their long winding road to happiness.

And they had made it back to where they belonged to start again.

The End

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen