Note: I'm going to be posting these last few sections daily so I can wrap up posting before the Christmas holiday for those who want to read it in their entirety while they are on vacation!

Saturday November 22, 2008

Lois awoke slowly to the smell of coffee and the sound of excited voices floating up from downstairs. She opened an eye reluctantly, then smiled when she saw the cup of coffee waiting for her on the nightstand. She sat up and swung her legs over the side of the bed, then stretched and stood. She walked to the bathroom, shivering in the cool morning air.

When she emerged a few minutes later, wearing a warm robe over her pajamas and thick socks on her feet, she retrieved the cup of coffee and took a sip. She pulled her phone off the charger and checked her email, then stuffed it into the pocket of her robe.

A delighted giggle from downstairs caught her attention, and she turned to go see what was so exciting. She was at the bottom of the stairs when JP shrieked again and Mattie shushed him, her voice no quieter than his. “Mom is sleeping!”

“No she’s not,” Clark said, laughing. And she couldn’t help smiling, knowing he said it mostly for her benefit, telling her he’d been waiting eagerly for her wake, listening for her, and knew she was downstairs now.

“No, she’s not,” she echoed, entering the living room.

She stopped abruptly, surprised to find Clark drilling a television wall mount into the living room wall.

“What...are you doing?” she asked, trying to keep her voice light and playful, as she surveyed the room. It didn’t take more than a second to understand exactly what was happening. Her television was laying face down on a blanket on the couch, its mount still attached, while a much larger TV was laying facedown on a blanket on the floor near where Clark was installing a much larger mount.

Every muscle in her body tensed. She did not want a monstrosity of a television in her living room. She hadn’t wanted one ten years ago when they bought this house, and she still didn’t want it. She knew that Clark loved watching games on his TV at his house. And she supposed she should have seen a conversation about this coming. But this wasn’t even a conversation. He’d just done it without even consulting her.

“We’re putting up Daddy’s TV!” JP chirped helpfully. “It’s awesome!”

“It’s...something,” she replied.

“Daddy says we cannot waste one more game day on this tiny television. Midwest is playing Alabama today, and we need a screen big enough to see Nick Saban’s tears when they lose,” Mattie informed her.

Lois burst out laughing despite herself. “Oh, he did, did he?”

Clark glanced over his shoulder and winked at her. She raised her eyebrows at him wordlessly and took a sip of her coffee. He grinned at her sheepishly, and she felt her irritation go from a rolling boil to a soft simmer. It was just a TV. He just wanted to install his TV in their house. Not her house, where he sometimes visited. Not her house, where he now lived with her. His house. Their house. She couldn’t bring herself to stay mad about a television when she finally had him home.

Clark drilled in the last screw, then turned to face her, his brow furrowed. “Hey, guys, why don’t you go get dressed? Put your game day shirts on.”

The kids scurried out of the room and up the stairs, racing to see who could get upstairs first. Clark put down the drill, and walked toward her. She laid her coffee mug on the end table, and waited for him to approach.

“Are you...mad?” he asked. “I know you don’t love big TVs, but I didn’t think you would care. If you really hate it-”

He didn’t get any further before she launched herself into his arms, and covered his lips with her own. He was still for a moment as his brain caught up with her reaction, and then he returned the kiss with enthusiasm.

“What...was that for?” he asked when she pulled away. “I’m not complaining, but that’s definitely not the response I was expecting.”

“I’m less than thrilled about the television,” she admitted. “But I just…I’ve been worried about this transition. This house was ours. And then it was mine. And now it’s ours again. I don’t want you to feel like it’s still my house, like you have to ask my permission to do things, like you’re a guest here. I don’t think I even realized how much I was worried about that until I saw you just...living here. Making this your home. Our home.”

He dipped his head and kissed her gently. “Thanks. I know this isn’t…you,” he said, gesturing vaguely at the television.

She stroked his neck and gazed up him, smiling and thinking of the first home they bought together. “No…. It’s us.”

Clark sighed and cupped her cheek. “How can you make something as decidedly unromantic as installing a tv mount into a romantic moment?”

“I’m just so happy you’re home,” she said softly.

“Happy enough to help me finish installing this thing?” he said with a hopeful grin. “It’s kind of a two person job.”

She laughed and rolled her eyes. “Tell me what to do.”

He handed her the screws and the screwdriver and showed her where to place them, and then he lifted the television and held it in place. She screwed in all four of the screws and then wiggled out from behind the television. Clark tested the mount to make sure it was secure and then hooked up the power and cable.

He tidied up the living room and wrapped the smaller tv in a blanket. “I’m just going to put this in the guest room for now. I’ll take it to my mom’s and install it there tomorrow. I can do it myself since it’s so much smaller.”

He paused and waited for her to nod her assent, but she was frozen, still stuck on him referring to his old house as his mom’s. He smiled at her and cupped her cheek.

“You’re not getting rid of me. It’s official now,” he said, gesturing to the television. She laughed and shoved him playfully. He slid his arms around her waist and nuzzled her neck. “Note to self: see what else you can get away with replacing while Lois is feeling generous.”

“Don’t push your luck,” she said, laughing.

“I need to do some other chores there tomorrow too,” he said when he finally stepped back out of her embrace. “I want to rearrange some stuff for her to make room for her art and make sure it’s clean and ready for when she gets here.”

Lois picked up her coffee and took another sip. “Sounds good. What’s your plan for today?”

“Lunch with Jimmy,” he reminded her, and she nodded. “I’ve promised to fill him in on everything. And then back here for the game. I was thinking of inviting Jimmy to come watch it? He and Claire usually come over to watch the big games.”

“Sure,” Lois said, nodding. “Can you be in charge of the kids for a half hour or so at 3?”

“Of course. What’s up?”

“I just got an email from the mayor. Turns out, despite his complete lack of response to my queries over the last few weeks, he does in fact want to do a follow up interview now that he’s seen a few of the articles. He asked me to call him at three.”

Clark laughed. “That man is terrified of you.”

“He should be. I’m not sure what good he thinks this interview is going to do. The articles are already written. I doubt he’s going to tell me anything substantial that is going to necessitate any more than updating a quote or two. But we’ll see what he has to say.”

Clark laughed and picked up the television. “Sit,” he said. “Drink your coffee. I’ll be right back.”

She settled in the corner of the couch and sipped her coffee while Clark took the TV upstairs to the guest room. When he came back, he slid in beside her and put his arm around her. She put her coffee back on the end table and curled into his side, resting her head on his shoulder. He grabbed the remote and turned on ESPN Game Day.

“You’re going to learn to love this TV,” he promised jokingly.

She lifted her head and looked at him skeptically, then slid her hands into his hair. “I love you,” she countered, pulling him in for a kiss.

She felt him smile against her lips, then he kissed her tenderly, turning toward her to stroke her back. “I am so completely in love with you,” he whispered, kissing her again..

She whimpered and tightened her grip on him, and he deepened the kiss. His tongue traced her lower lip, seeking access, then slid inside, teasing her. Her mind flashed back to last night, his mouth on her body, his tongue and hands everywhere at once, stoking her need for him. Her heart started to race in her chest, and she laughed.

Clark pulled away and raised an eyebrow at her. “Do I even want to know why you’re laughing while I kiss you?”

She laughed harder. “I’m laughing at myself. I want you so bad. We just made love ten hours ago, and I’m ready to drag you back upstairs. I can’t get enough of you. I know I said I don’t want a proposal or a wedding or anything like that, but I do want a honeymoon. Can we arrange that? Because good god, I just want to spend an uninterrupted week in bed with you.”

He laughed, and cupped her cheek. “We can definitely make that happen. Seriously, Lois, the kids are old enough to spend a week with my mom. There’s nothing in the world I want more than a second honeymoon. We should plan something after Christmas.”

She pulled him back down and lost herself in his kiss.

“Where is Game Day this week? Are they at Midwest?” Mattie asked, entering the living room.

“Make her go away,” Clark murmured against her mouth, and Lois laughed, pushing him away.

“This is your fault,” she whispered. “This giant TV lured her in here.”

“I can hear you,” Mattie said, rolling her eyes.

“Good, go play with your brother,” Clark said, dragging Lois back over and kissing her again. “We’re busy.”

“You are ridiculous,” Lois said, laughing again. “Stop it before you traumatize your daughter.”

He kissed the crook of her neck and she giggled.

“Ew,” Mattie said, and Lois laughed harder.

“We could send them to boarding school,” Clark suggested, feathering kisses up her neck.

“Stop,” Lois said, pushing him away, still laughing, her hands stroking his chest.

“You started this,” he countered with a gleam in his eyes. “I was just sitting here minding my own business, watching ESPN.”

“Fine,” she said, smirking as she curled up back in the corner of the couch and picked up her coffee. “Watch your TV. I’ll just be over here behaving myself.”

Mattie rolled her eyes again, but Lois detected a suppressed smile and knew she wasn’t as appalled as she pretended to be. “Seriously, are they at Midwest?”

“Yes,” Clark confirmed. “See the bell tower?”

“What time is the game?” she asked, coming to sit on the other side of him.

“Not until 3:30. Metropolis is playing at noon though. You can watch that while I’m at lunch with Uncle Jimmy.”

“Who else is playing at noon?” she asked.

“Hey!” Lois exclaimed, mock outraged. “Why will you root for Daddy’s alma mater and not mine?”

“Because Daddy’s alma mater actually wins,” she retorted.

Clark laughed and high-fived Mattie.

“Keep laughing, Dr. Kent. They’re your team too now,” Lois said, nudging his thigh with her foot.

He reached down and grabbed her ankle, tickling her behind her knee. “No way. I’ll claim Met U during the week, but I bleed crimson and gold on Saturdays.”

She wrestled her foot away from him, and then stretched both legs over his lap. He slid a hand inside the ankle of her loose pajama pants, stroking her calf gently, sweetly. He glanced over at her, and his gaze was no longer teasing, just full of love and affection. “I love you too,” she mouthed over the rim of her coffee cup. He squeezed her leg, then turned his attention back to the screen, stroking lazily as he watched the commentators lay out their bets for the day’s games. She watched him for another moment, then turned her attention to the television as well, and decided she could get used to it in her living room after all.

Lois dumped the contents of the kids’ lunchboxes, forgotten in the rush to get to Art Night, into the garbage and wiped them down. Then she opened JP’s backpack and pulled out his take home folder, flipping through cut and paste letter sound worksheets and Thanksgiving coloring sheets.

She smiled when she found the construction paper turkey, each colorful feather listing something he was thankful for this year. She laughed when she saw “Mommy, Daddy and Mattie” crammed on one feather while “trick or treating” and “crayons” each got their own feathers. And of course, there was a feather for Superman. She smirked, thinking she’d like to show Superman how thankful she was for him. She glanced at the clock, automatically wondering how much longer until he’d be home, and then shook her head at herself.

Her phone buzzed, and she smiled when she saw his name. “On my way. Jimmy is coming to watch the game. Love you.”

“Ok. Love you too,” she typed quickly, and then went back to looking over JP’s school work. She tossed some, put a few in a stack to be filed later, and put the turkey on the refrigerator with a magnet. She took backpacks and lunchboxes back to the mudroom and tidied up in there, and then returned to the kitchen where she just stood in the middle of the room, unsure what to do next.

A part of her was desperate to know how the conversation had gone at lunch, and another part of her was sick even thinking about it. She tried to tell herself she had nothing to be nervous about. She saw Jimmy everyday in the office. The awkwardness between them had long since faded. Surely he was going to be happy for them, and not remind Clark of all the ways she had trampled his heart. But what if? What if he’d been reserved and cautious and wary instead of congratulatory?

The logical part of her brain told her that not only was that scenario unlikely, but that if Jimmy had reacted that way, Clark would not have invited him into their home five minutes later. Clark loved her. His love would not be swayed by a friend’s skepticism or wariness.

But the part of her heart that still believed she didn’t deserve his love lived in fear that someday he would realize that truth, and whispered that maybe it was the concern of a good friend who had known them at their best and worst that would make him finally see that truth.

“What are you doing?” Mattie asked, entering the kitchen and looking at her quizzically.

Lois cast around the room for some excuse to be in there. “Oh, I was just going to check on the chili.”

Mattie gave her a skeptical look. “Don’t...add anything to it.”

“I’m not going to mess it up,” Lois said defensively. “I was just going to stir it.”

“It doesn’t need to be stirred. It’s in the crock pot. Daddy says-”

“I can handle stirring chili, Mattie. I did manage to feed you and keep you alive for years without your father to cook for us.”

Mattie grimaced and rolled her eyes, and Lois threw her hands in the air and turned to the counter, lifting the lid from the crockpot and giving the chili an entirely unnecessary stir. Mattie ambled back into the living room to watch the final quarter of the Metropolis game, and Lois sighed with relief.

Just then, she heard the garage door, and her heart leapt. She laid the spoon back on the spoon rest and covered the chili, taking a few breaths to try to slow her heart rate before Clark walked in.

A minute later, the door to the mudroom opened and Clark and Jimmy entered, talking animatedly about the impending game. They rounded the corner into the kitchen, and her eyes went to Clark’s immediately and found them twinkling with happiness. He smiled at her, and she felt all the tension drain out, her pulse picking up again, but this time with the joy of being in his presence. She wanted to run to him, but forced herself to stay put and return his smile from a distance. She tore her eyes from his, and turned to Jimmy.

“Hey,” she said. “Come on in. How are you?”

“Good. Thanks for having me.” He glanced around, obviously feeling as awkward as she was. “It’s been a long time. You know.”

“Yeah.”

He laughed and opened his arms to her for a hug. She stepped into the hug, thankful for this chance to repair their friendship. “I’m so happy for both of you,” he whispered in her ear as he hugged her. “So happy.”

She pulled back and smiled at him. “Thank you.”

“Uncle Jimmy!” Mattie said, bounding in. “Come check it out! We put up Daddy’s TV this morning.”

“I heard! Let’s see how it looks!” he said, shooting Lois a quick smile and then following Mattie into the living room.

Clark’s arms were around her immediately,and she tilted her head up for a kiss. “I missed you,” she confessed.

“I missed you too,” he said.

He pulled her in for a hug, and she rested her head on his shoulder. “Lunch went well?”

Clark hesitated, then put his hands on her hips and pushed her back so he could look at her face. “Were you concerned that it might not?”

She shrugged and averted her eyes. “No. I mean, not really. Of course not.”

He shook his head and sighed sadly, then cupped her cheek and tilted her face up until they were making eye contact. “Lois, why?”

“Clark, don’t act like this concern is totally unfounded,” she whispered sharply. “Of everyone, he saw us at our worst. He knows how much I hurt you. He’s been a wonderful friend to you since our divorce, and I’m genuinely grateful for that. But he barely looked me in the eye for two years. It’s not unreasonable to think he might feel less than enthusiastic about you giving me a second chance.”

“Okay, okay,” Clark said softly, holding up a hand. “You’re right. I’m sorry. I’m not trying to be dismissive. I can see why you might be nervous. I wish you’d told me you were concerned though, because I could have told you that he and I have discussed this plenty of times over the last couple of years, and this was not going to come as a huge surprise to him. He knows how much I love you and how winning you back has been the most important thing in my life since the day you told me you wanted a divorce. He’s been nothing but supportive. He doesn't resent you or blame you anymore -- if he ever did -- and he just wants us to be happy. Both of us. Talk to him, Lois. Like you talked to my mom. I’m not the only one who loves you, sweetheart. We all love you. We all want you to be happy.”

She felt her eyes fill with tears, and she blinked them back. He dipped his head and kissed her, tentatively at first, gently, soothing her. Then as he felt her relax, he threaded his fingers through her hair and deepened the kiss. Her senses spun, and a part of her realized he was doing this on purpose, getting her out of her own head. But she didn’t care enough to protest. His lips left hers, and she whimpered in protest. They didn’t go far though, trailing kisses across her cheek, until his lips brushed her ear. “I love you so much,” he whispered.

She stroked his hair, eyes closed, letting her head loll to the side as his lips blazed a fiery trail down her neck, his teeth nipping at the sensitive skin just under the crimson neckline of her t-shirt. The whole world ceased to exist outside of the circle of their arms, and she gasped his name as he pressed her against the cabinets, his mouth working it’s way back up until he found her lips again.

“Oh good. The more things change, the more they stay the same,” Jimmy said with a laugh, as he walked into the kitchen and interrupted their embrace.

She felt her face burn as she tore her lips from Clark’s and buried her face in his chest. She felt the rumble of his laughter as he relaxed his grip on her, untangling his fingers and gently stroking her hair.

“Impeccable timing as always, Jimmy,” he said.

JP burst through the back door. “Mommy! Can I have a- Uncle Jimmy!”

“Can you have an Uncle Jimmy?” Jimmy teased, scooping him up. “Sure! Here I am!”

JP giggled and squirmed back to the floor. “No! A SNACK!”

Lois slid out from between the counter and Clark’s body, smirking at his sudden intake of breath, and opened the refrigerator. “How about some yogurt, buddy?”

She pulled out the container of yogurt and a basket of strawberries, and set them on the counter, reaching for a cutting board.

She felt Clark step behind her and smiled as he brushed her hair back and kissed her gently on the neck. “We’re going to watch the end of this game. Come watch with us when you’re done.”

She nodded, then glanced up at the clock and shook her head. “I need to go make my call. I should be done before kickoff.”

She looked up at Jimmy. “Hey, do you need to talk to the mayor for anything? I’m about to call him. He’s scrambling real hard, trying to point fingers everywhere but at his office. He’s probably going to be overly friendly and accommodating.”

“Seriously? Yes! I’ve been trying to get him on the phone all week to get a quote about the budget shortfall.”

“I’ll come get you when I’m done,” she said, scooping the yogurt into a plastic bowl and slicing the strawberries.

Clark squeezed her hip affectionately and stepped back, walking with Jimmy into the living room. She handed JP the bowl and returned the yogurt and strawberries to the refrigerator. She could hear Clark and Jimmy discussing the Midwest defense and was transported back in time to when it was Mattie she was making snacks for while Clark and Jimmy analyzed plays, and everything in her life seemed golden. She waited for the pain that usually accompanied those sorts of flashbacks, and realized with a smile that it wasn’t coming.

“Okay, buddy. Mommy’s going to go work in her office for just a little bit. When you’re done with your yogurt, put the bowl in the sink. Daddy’s in the living room if you need something.”

She walked through the living room, letting her hand trail across Clark’s shoulder as she passed, and closed herself in her home office.

She looked around, critical of the space suddenly. It had once been their shared office, their desks perpendicular, their diplomas hanging on the walls, and all their awards — both individual and shared — on display in a large case.

So much of their lives revolved around their professional partnership, that their office space had felt almost as intimate as their bedroom. When Clark moved out, he took his desk and his personal items, and it had taken her years to rearrange and be comfortable in there again.

A box with their shared awards and first editions of both their books was hidden in the closet because he couldn’t bear to take them, and she couldn’t bear to keep them on display. The display case now held only the three Kerth statues she’d won on her own before she met him as well as the two additional Kerths she’d won since he left The Daily Planet and her framed and matted Pulitzer certificate.

She sat at her desk and opened her laptop, trying to focus her energy back on her story. She pulled out her phone and dialed the mayor’s cell phone number, smiling as she thought about the fact that he surely regretted ever giving her that number.

“Lois,” he answered immediately. “Thanks for calling.”

And then she was in the zone, her personal life and the blank spaces in the room shoved out of her consciousness, while she handed the mayor just enough rope to hang himself.

Twenty minutes later, she stood and walked from the office into the living room.

“Of course. Thank you for taking time to talk to me on a Saturday,” she said, wrapping up the call.

“Tell Clark I said hello,” he said, and she rolled her eyes at his ingratiating voice.

“I’ll do that,” she said, entering the living room. “I actually have James Olson here and he wanted to ask you a quick question. I’m going to hand the phone over to him. Thanks again!”

She handed the phone to Jimmy before the mayor could object, and nodded her head toward her office. He mouthed a quick thank you as he took the phone and walked briskly out of the room. “This won’t take long,” he promised into the phone as he disappeared into the office.

Clark was seated on one end of the couch and Mattie was sitting next to him, perched on the edge of her seat, ready for kickoff.

Lois stopped behind Clark, placing her hands on his shoulders and then sliding them down his chest, kissing his cheek.

“Come sit,” he said softly.

“I will. I’m going to grab a drink first.”

He lifted a hand to stroke hers, where they still rested on his chest. “What?” he prompted.

“When you go to your mom’s tomorrow,” she whispered, “will you get all your office stuff and bring it home so we can fix the office? I mean, we can deal with the desk later if you don’t want to move it tomorrow. But all your personal stuff; awards and diplomas and whatever?”

Clark leaned back to look at her, then reached a hand up and stroked her cheek and smiled at her.

“Sure,” he said. “I miss that too.” And she knew he meant more than just displaying their accomplishments together.

She kissed him on the cheek again and went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. When she walked back in, Midwest was kicking off and Jimmy was sliding back into his spot in the armchair.

He nodded toward her phone, laying on the end table next to Clark. “Thanks.”

“Of course,” she said.

Lois walked past Clark, intending to sit on the other side of Mattie, but he snagged her hand and pulled her into his lap.

“Clark,” she gasped. “I nearly just wore this whole glass of water.”

He took the water and put it on the end table, then kissed her.

“Oh my god, please stop. Some of us are trying to watch this game,” Mattie complained.

Jimmy burst out laughing. “Get used to it, kid. You’re too young to remember before. Trust me, it’s a lost cause.”

Lois blushed, and tried to pull herself out of Clark’s embrace, but Clark held her firm around her waist. He raised his eyebrows, daring her to try to budge him. She rolled her eyes and laughed.

“Mattie,” Clark said. “Scoot down so I can sit next to your mother, and we’ll behave. I promise.”

Mattie scooted down grudgingly, clearly skeptical of his promise.

Clark loosened his grip and allowed her to slide onto the cushion beside him, resting his hand on her thigh.

“Where is JP?” Lois asked. “Does he know the game has started?”

“He’s in the backyard,” Mattie responded.

Lois figured he’d show up eventually and settled in to watch the game.

The matchup was clearly going to be an offensive showdown. By the end of the first quarter, Alabama was leading 28-20.

“They’ve got to stop running the ball up the middle,” Clark said. “Alabama’s defense is too good, and they know what to expect. We’re not going to win if they keep holding us to field goals.”

“They need to pull Davis and put in Johnson,” Lois replied.

Clark laughed. “That’s your response to everything. Why do you hate Elliott Davis so much? He’s a good quarterback.”

“He’s a decent quarterback,” she countered. “But he gets stuck on this run game. It’s the same play over and over.”

“Marquis Johnson is a true freshman,” Jimmy said skeptically. “You want to put him in against the Alabama defense?”

“At least Davis doesn’t turn the ball over all the time,” Mattie interjected. “Johnson panics and throws it right into traffic.”

“He does need to work on throwing it away when he’s about to be sacked,” Lois conceded. “But if he’s got good blockers, and they give him time to focus, he’s always accurate.”

“That’s a hell of a risk when we’re talking about Alabama’s defense,” Jimmy replied.

“They’re going to have to take a risk if they want touchdowns,” Lois insisted. “He’s got the arm, and our offensive line is strong. They can hold their own.”

Clark’s phone buzzed. He picked up and glanced at the screen, then laughed. “Charlie says: “Tiller needs to stop letting Davis screw us with these hand-offs and put in the kid. He’s a little unpredictable, but at least he knows how to throw.”

“Ha!” Lois crowed. “I’m going to watch the game with Charlie next week.”

JP slammed the back door and appeared suddenly in the living room, running through in his Midwest t-shirt and Superman cape. Lois caught Clark’s eye and smiled at the combination.

Suddenly her eyes narrowed. “Where is your coat?” She asked him. “It’s freezing outside.”

“He had a coat on when I sent him out,” Clark said, eyes still on the television.

“Go back out and get your coat,” Lois said. “Put it in the mud room and leave your shoes in there too. You’re filthy.”

JP zipped back outside chanting, “Go Wildcats!”

On the screen, Davis handed it off to a running back who ran into a solid wall of Alabama defense on third down, and the kicker came in.

“Ok, I’m with Mom,” Mattie said, resigned. “Davis needs to go.”

The back door slammed again, and Lois flinched. “I don’t know how that door manages to stay on the hinges,” she muttered, as JP deposited his coat and shoes in the mud room.

JP ran from the mud room, through the kitchen and into the living room at full tilt, one arm extended in a Superman pose, and attempted to skid to a stop at the couch. His socked feet slipped on the hardwood floor and he slammed into the coffee table, somersaulting over it and landing flat on his back on the floor with a sickening thud.

Lois froze. Clark was on his feet instantly, but JP bounced right back up. “Superman to the rescue!” he cried, taking off again.

Lois let out the breath she had been holding. “That child is going to be the death of me,” she muttered.

Jimmy shook his head in amazement. “He’s so tough. Claire’s nephews are the same age, and I swear they cry if they stub their toe. Someone is always wailing in that house.

Lois studiously avoided looking at Clark and forced herself to laugh. “Where is Claire, anyway?” she asked. “Why didn’t you bring her?”

“She’s at her parents’ house in Raleigh,” he replied. “School’s out already, so she left this morning.

“Are you working all week?” Clark asked, sitting back down and angling his body so Lois could lean back against him. She snuggled back against his chest and his arm wrapped around her chest automatically. She lifted her hands from her lap and stroked his hand, threading her fingers through his.

“No, I’m flying out Wednesday night to join her. I actually have Thursday and Friday off. I requested off months ago and promised I’d work Christmas.” He looked distinctly uncomfortable and started jiggling his leg nervously.

Lois felt Clark sit up straighter. “Ooooh,” he said gleefully. “This is it. You’re finally going to do it.”

“Do what?” Lois asked, twisting to look at him and smiling at his obvious delight.

“He’s had the ring since last Christmas. God knows what he was waiting for,” Clark teased.

“Hey,” Jimmy said defensively. “Just because I didn’t propose after like a week of officially dating-”

Lois burst out laughing.

“Traitor,” Clark whispered, faux outraged.

“He’s not wrong,” Lois said, still laughing. “You could have given me a minute to get used to the idea of dating you before asking for a lifetime commitment.”

“I know a good thing when I see it,” he teased. “I wasn’t taking any chances.”

She squeezed his hand and turned her attention back to Jimmy. “I want to hear everything! Do you have a plan?”

“I know what I want to say, but I don’t have a plan for when. I’m hoping the right time will be obvious. No time like the right time,” he said with a shrug.

“That’s so great!” Mattie said. “Don’t you think it’s great, Mom? Weddings are the best!”

Lois smiled at her enthusiasm. “Yes, sweet girl. Do you think she’s anticipating it this week?” Lois asked Jimmy.

“I think she was really anticipating it at Christmas. And her birthday. And when we moved into the new house. And…” he trailed off with an embarrassed grin. “I’m honestly not sure if she’s anticipating it again or if she’s just given up.”

“Well, either way, I’m sure she’ll be thrilled,” Lois replied.

“That’s one perk to putting it off for years,” Clark said sheepishly. “You’ve got a much better chance of her actually saying yes.”

Mattie’s gaze shifted to Lois, and her eyes narrowed. “Did you say no when Daddy asked you to marry him?”

“I didn’t say no,” Lois clarified. “I said ‘not yet’. I needed some time to get used to the idea. And we needed to work a few things out first.”

Mattie looked at her skeptically.

“Mattie,” Lois said soothingly. “Obviously I said yes eventually. Actually, I asked your Dad to marry me. It just took us a few tries to get it right.”

Clark squeezed her gently.

Mattie looked unconvinced. “But you still didn’t get it right. You got divorced.”

Lois flinched. Mattie’s voice was sad and solemn, not the dismissive or contrary tone she usually used when she pointed out that they were divorced. Not for the first time, Lois wondered if her efforts to shelter the children from parents who fought with each other by splitting their family into two households had done no good at all. Mattie had been spared the cold wars, but she obviously still nursed wounds from their separation.

“Mattie,” Clark said quietly. “We’re still here together. We’re still working on getting it right.”

“But you aren’t married.”

“We’re still a family, Mattie. No matter what a piece of paper says.” Clark’s voice was soft but firm, leaving no room for doubt. But Mattie’s face didn’t look nearly as confident.

Lois reached out with one hand and squeezed Mattie’s hand, her other still intertwined with Clark’s. “Mattie, your dad and I love each other so much.”

“Then why aren’t you going to get remarried? Uncle Jimmy loves Claire, so he’s asking her to marry him! If you two love each other so much, why don’t you want to get married?”

It was all so black and white, so easy, in her innocent little world. Jimmy shot them an apologetic look and then studiously focused his attention on the television.

“We’re not saying no, Mattie,” Clark said gently. “We’re just saying not yet.”

Lois took a slow breath and squeezed his hand hard.

Mattie nodded, placated for the moment but still obviously concerned. She looked back to the TV just in time to see a Midwest receiver catch a perfect pass in the end zone.

“Yes!” she cheered. “That ties it!”

“Was that Davis?” Lois asked skeptically.

Jimmy laughed. “No. Tiller just pulled him and put in Johnson. That was his first play.”

“Huh,” Lois gloated. “Who would have thought?”

Last edited by AnnieM; 12/16/21 10:23 AM.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen