Happy Halloween! wink

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Clark was picking Martha up at the airport and would meet them at her house shortly. It was entirely normal for them to be celebrating the holiday jointly with the kids, but nothing felt normal anymore.

AWWWWWWW and I know she’s nervous as all heck about Martha...

She had no idea how she was going to mask her feelings for him while they spent the evening with their children and his mother.

His mother. That was a whole separate issue. If she’d been nervous before about seeing Martha Kent, now she was a plain old hot mess.

LOL yep, pretty much!

She found herself caught between wanting to avoid her completely, hiding for the duration of her visit, and wanting to play the part of the perfect daughter in law in a desperate attempt to convince her that she was worthy of another chance with her son.

GAHHH mecry I’m so nervous for her!!

Lois’ heart clenched at the greeting. During her marriage, she’d always rolled her eyes and ranted when people who didn’t know her well addressed her as Mrs. Kent. She’d chosen not to take Clark’s last name when they married because her name was a part of her identity and she couldn’t imagine giving it up, not to mention the nightmare it would have been professionally.

Clark had loved to tease her about it when it happened, and she enjoyed their back and forth sparring about the patriarchy and its expectations. But secretly, it had always thrilled her to hear it. She was his, and he was hers, and the whole world knew it whether she took his name legally or not. Hearing it now made her feel melancholy and wistful, like she was grieving something she’d never even had.

Oh wow, a whole lot of feelings up in here... I love all the things!

The cheap, polyester costume with the padded chest was unlikely to impress the woman who designed and sewed the original.

LMAO!!!!

her desire to see Clark had less to do with her ache for him and more to do with being ready to foist his children off on him.

LOL! *His* children. It’s always that way, isn’t it? lol

seconds later, strong hands slid around her waist and whispered, “I figure we have somewhere between two and three minutes-”

He didn’t get any further before her mouth was on his. When they pulled apart, breathless, she clung to him, hands stroking his neck and playing with the collar of the blue and white dress shirt that poked up from under his charcoal sweater. “I missed you so much. I’ve been thinking about you all day. I have no idea how I’m going to make it through this evening without making a fool of myself.”

GAHH LOVE THIS!

He laughed, and her heart soared at the naked joy on his face. After so many years of hurting him, nothing felt better than making him happy.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

“Yes, I want to fly with you. I don’t care where we go.”

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.
Clark turned and smiled at her. “It’s just a stir fry. Quick and easy, and I don’t need any help.”

“Good, that’s what I was banking on,” she replied, stepping back into his arms and raising her lips to his.

Heeee heeee! I absolutely adore this!

And for a moment Lois truly could not breathe. He looked so much like his father that she wasn’t sure if she was going to cry or be sick. He was both the most precious thing she’d ever seen and utterly terrifying.

This is AMAZING. The juxtaposition if fantastic!

“Breathe,” he whispered. “It’s going to be okay.”

“I should have listened to you. I’m sorry. This was a terrible idea. We should have said no,” she whispered, trying to control her trembling.

“No, you were right. It was smart not to turn it into a battle. He’s adorable. No one else is going to be looking at him like you are. No one else is going to see what you see.”

“Clark, he looks just like you. I can’t breathe.”

Oh, I love this reversal of roles, too!
Lois turned shakily. “Clark wanted to forbid this, and I talked him out of it. I said it would be more suspicious if JP made a big fuss to his friends and teachers because we wouldn’t allow it. I’m an idiot. Why does he listen to me?”

“People see what they expect to see,” Martha said gently. “He’s going to walk around this neighborhood looking for all the world like a little boy who looks just like his Daddy wearing a silly child’s costume. You were right not to make a big deal of it. You’re a good mother, Lois. Trust your instincts.”

OH MARTHA! I love Martha so much. She’s the most amazing woman, really.

Tears pricked her eyes, threatening to spill over.

“Oh, honey. You do know that, right? You’re such a good mother. I know I’m biased, but those children are wonderful, and that’s as much you as it is Clark. Lord knows, Clark never stops singing your praises.”

GAHHHHHHHH!!!! mecry And if they weren’t so estranged, she’d be getting a Martha hung right now. whinging

“What happened? Is this about the costume?”

“Yes. No. Sort of,” Lois responded shakily.

“Well, that was very informative,” Clark joked gently. “Thanks for clearing that up.”

LOL love it!
“Why would that surprise you or make you cry?” he asked, pulling back and cradling her cheek in his hand. “Of course my mom thinks you’re a good mother. She adores you.”

“I thought she hated me,” Lois confessed quietly.

“Lois,” Clark struggled to find a response. “You need to talk to my mother. Have a real conversation with her while she’s here this week. She loves you. She asks about you every single time I see her. She misses you a lot.”

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. whinging I knew Martha wasn’t holding grudges, but... oh wow. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. mecry

He dipped his head and kissed her gently, and she felt her heart flutter in her chest. He pulled away just enough to rub the tip of his nose to hers playfully. “It’s been a crazy week. But I love you so much. And we’re going to have fun tonight. Stop worrying and come play with us. Also I’m pretty sure the “special drinks” Kate brought are for grown ups only. Let’s see if you can keep your hands off me after a drink or two,” he teased.

“Doubtful,” she laughed. “I can barely manage it stone cold sober.”

1. GAH! He’s so freaking sweet... and hot... GAH
2. LOL at the special drinks and the teasing!!
3. Oh no... I think they might get found out tonight! LOL Well... Kate already knows, I’m SURE that Martha at the very least suspects if not right out guessed it... and I guess the kids will be super distracted. <g>

She ran her hands up his chest and around his neck, and laughed at the twinkle in his eye. “I adore you,” she said finally “Let’s go take our babies trick or treating.”

LOVE!!!!!!
Lois laughed, allowing herself to see him without the cloud of fear. He was absolutely precious. She watched as he ran to Clark, who scooped him up and ran with him, through the culdesac, holding him aloft, and her heart nearly exploded with love.

OH WOW... I think my heart explode too! So sweet!

“Oh,” Kate said, before she could say anything more. A wide grin settled across her face. “Oh. It’s not just that, is it? You finally figured it out.”

“Figured what out?”

“That fact that you are completely, hopelessly in love with him.”

HAHA!!! Kate is like another Martha, LOL!

“I wasn’t avoiding you,” Lois said quickly, turning to her. “I just don’t know what to say. I don’t know how to talk about it yet.”

“But you’re happy?”

“So unbearably, unbelievably happy.”

Kate put an arm around Lois and squeezed her in a half hug. “Then I’m so happy for you.”

LOVE this!!
Lois blushed and laughed and felt a warmth spread across her chest that might have been the cider, but felt more like her life settling into place.

OMG that last bit stole my breath. I freaking love it.

Clark’s arms were raised, sliding his sweater over his head. He held it out to her, wordlessly and she smiled gratefully at him.

Heeee! Bonus that it’s pre-warmed and smells like him! love

She slipped the soft, warm sweater over her head, taking an unsteady breath as his scent enveloped her, and her world tilted a little.

Awwww, I love that phrase at the end!!!

the smug grin he gave her was all the confirmation she needed to know her desire for him was written all over her face.

Heee heeee!!!

Clark had scooted their chairs closer so their armrests were touching.

Awwwww!

“I’ve been meaning to ask… One of my seniors is a DREAMer who has written a couple pieces for me about immigration. Profiles of undocumented workers, mainly. He’s really talented, but I don’t think he’s interested in making reporting a career. He wants to do something in the nonprofit sector, some sort of immigration activism. If you have any ideas or contacts for him, I’d love to connect you.”

“I’d love to talk to him,” Kate said immediately. “Remind me before I leave and I’ll get you a few business cards with all my office contact info.”

Awwww, sweet smile

She hesitated, her heart thumping as she thought about the people all around them. Then she slipped her hand into his, threading their fingers together and was rewarded with a gentle squeeze and a flash of a grin so quick she nearly missed it.

LOVE THIS!!!

“Oh, I bet Clark was a terror at that age,” Kate teased. “Tell us!”

Lois laughed. “You’re delusional. Clark has been practically perfect since birth.”

LOL! Love the playful conversation between all the adults!

“Forget JP’s age,” Kate said, waving a hand dismissively and raising her eyebrows. “I want the real dirt. What was he like as a teenager?”

“Well, I can’t help you with any dirt there,” Martha said. “By that point he really was practically perfect.”

Clark sat back and threaded his fingers behind his neck, preening. “I can’t help it. Someone has to be perfect.”

Lois rolled her eyes at him. “Oh, please.”
LMAO!!!! (Though the bit of sad truth behind it is that he had to be so wary of his powers... in addition to naturally being a goody-two-shoes.)

Clark leaned in close, stroking his hair. “Sometimes I look at them, and I still can’t believe we made them.”

“I know,” she agreed.

LOVE

“I want to kiss you so badly,” he whispered, resting his forehead against hers.

“I know. Me too.”

I mean... you’re already touching foreheads... anyone looking is already gonna know. <g>

“I hate this,” he said quietly, loathing in his voice.

She looked up, surprised by his tone. “Leaving?”

“Taking him from you. I hate when he falls asleep in your arms, and I have to take him. I feel like a monster, prying your baby out of your arms.”
GAHHHHHH

She inhaled sharply and reached for him, resting a hand on his cheek. “Clark. That’s not… I never… I love when he falls asleep in my arms and you take him from me. That’s when he feels most like ours. When we share him.

GAHHHH even more!!!

“Here,” she said. She shifted him in her arms, getting a better grip. Then she lifted him and placed him in Clark’s outstretched arms. “You didn’t take him from me. I gave him to you.”

OH I LOVE THAT!!!

And then his lips were on hers, and she didn’t care who saw.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Ouf... I was worried I would have some whams to deal with and some crying, but now I think I might die from the waffs! GAH. More please!

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I have some follow-up questions:

Why is Kate so awesome?? And can I have one??

Why is Clark so awesome and sexy?? And can I have one??

Why is Martha so incredibly awesome?? And can I have one??

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Originally Posted by KSaraSara

They are definitely one of a kind aren’t they?

JP and Mattie sound so precious here. I wonder if the estrangement from Martha is more to do with Lois’ nervousness?

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 11/23/21 05:14 AM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Columnist
Columnist
Well damn that was adorable. I love that Martha isn't holding any grudges and her panic over the costume. Great chapter!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This:

Lois blushed and laughed and felt a warmth spread across her chest that might have been the cider, but felt more like her life settling into place.

And this:

“You didn’t take him from me. I gave him to you.”

Wow. Good wow.

These honest sentiments are, all at once, both beautiful and poignant. But they feel like a resolution. I'm sure many readers would love fifteen more chapters of love, love, self-awareness, love, epiphany, love, love, re-commitment, love, reconciliation, love, and more love. I don't think that's what's in store for these two. We'll see more pain, more heartache, more speed bumps and potholes on the road to the second wedding. Got to be.

And that's not a critique, it's a plaudit. Any two people who have had a close relationship ripped asunder have issues which require resolution, especially if they both want to reconcile. Lois is making excellent progress, as is Clark, but this can't be the whole of it. There will be conflict, there will be sharp disagreements, there will be hard choices to make, there will be a difficult path to follow. All that they've done so far is take the first steps along a long and winding road to mutual happiness.

I'm eager to see how you bring them to this conclusion, Annie. You're doing a wonderful job. You've captured Lois' emotional baggage and made her deal with it honestly and openly. Her understanding that she was the main driver in the divorce - not the only one, mind you, but the one with her pedal to the metal - is a huge reveal. Now she and Clark have to work past all the residual hurt and dueling expectations for their new level of relationship. It's good that they're being honest with each other.

I wonder how long it will be until one of them suggests something - an activity, a change in their relationship, a discussion of some truth with Mattie - that the other doesn't want to address just yet. Will they be able to work through that disagreement, or will the volatile emotions take over again and threaten to break them again? I understand the passion in their relationship, especially since they've been living separately and alone for so many years, but it's very possible that the level of intimacy will be a disadvantage because it can mask underlying issues neither wants to deal with.

I'm confident that you'll bring them through all the trauma you plan to inflict on them. I have my popcorn ready.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Originally Posted by KSaraSara

If you figure it out, let me know. I'd very much like to order one of each. (Seriously, I'm extra glad that people are loving Kate. I don't often add original characters to stories, and I love Kate so much. I'm glad everyone else is loving her too.)

And Martha will be here all week, so I promise lots more Martha scenes are coming up.

Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
These honest sentiments are, all at once, both beautiful and poignant. But they feel like a resolution. I'm sure many readers would love fifteen more chapters of love, love, self-awareness, love, epiphany, love, love, re-commitment, love, reconciliation, love, and more love. I don't think that's what's in store for these two. We'll see more pain, more heartache, more speed bumps and potholes on the road to the second wedding. Got to be.

Well, there are definitely going to be speed bumps and hard discussions about the past and the future, and sub-plots that bring up new issues. We definitely aren't to the resolution yet. But I wouldn't say a pattern of "love, love, self-awareness, love, epiphany, love, love, re-commitment, love, reconciliation, love, and more love" is TOO far off in terms of characterizing the tone. Part of my goal with writing this was a showcase their ability to work through hard things maturely with healthy boundaries and open communication -- without creating unnecessary angst and drama just for the sake of angst and drama. We'll see if I accomplished that. wink

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois couldn’t help but smile at that. The cheap, polyester costume with the padded chest was unlikely to impress the woman who designed and sewed the original.

LOL! JP is a sweet kid, but its true. After much trial and error she is probably not going to be impressed by the knock off...even if her grandson is wearing it.

Seriously, excited to read the upcoming conversation between Lois and Martha. These are two of the most important women in Clark's life and he loves them deeply. Yet the divorce has altered their relationship drastically. Martha must have been so hurt to see the end of their marriage, especially on the heels of her own beloved husband's death. Annie, this story is so wonderfully written! I'm taking my time reading it!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard