This is another answer to Queen of the Capes Inside Out Challenge. My muse kept nagging me to write that scene. Hope you enjoy.

Inside Lois Lane

It should have been the happiest day of her life. Only it wasn’t. Lois Lane was standing in front of the mirror in her wedding gown. She was struggling with her decision to marry Lex Luthor. Was she really doing the right thing? Outwardly, only the tears streaming down her face indicated the turmoil inside her head. But let’s sneak a peek inside…

Fear was pacing the Headquarters, muttering to herself. “This is wrong, this is wrong.”

Sadness was standing at the control panel. Now and then, she pushed a button to withdraw another one of the long term memories. Pictures of Clark appeared on the screen, smiling at Lois, kissing her, dumping her in the garbage and sending her on a wild goose chase for a Godzilla doll. Each memory turned blue. And just as Sadness was about to get yet another memory, Joy rushed to her side.

“What the hell are you doing here?” she asked. “Lois is about to marry Lex Luthor. What business do you have bringing back all those memories of Clark? Lois should be happy!” She tried to push Sadness aside, but the emotion wouldn’t budge.

“Lois is making a mistake, if she’s marrying Luthor,” Sadness said, firmly standing her ground. “Clark loves her. And you know exactly that she loves him, too.” She flinched as Disgust materialized next to her, seemingly out of nowhere.

“Oh, does he?” Disgust raised her brows. “Need I remind you that he also told her in no uncertain terms that there was no future for a relationship? Not to mention this impossible remark about her nightgown.”

Anger fumed. “The next time I see him, I’m going to kill him for that.”

Disgust rolled her eyes. “Really? Using what? He’s Superman, for Heaven’s sake!”

Anger tore at her hair. “I’ll find a way. How was that stuff called again? Kryptonite?”

Sadness shook her head. “Keep your shirt on. All he had was a bleeding finger.”

Disgust rolled her eyes. “Can we please concentrate on the problem at hand? If Clark loves her so much, why didn’t he finally reveal that he’s Superman?”

Sadness huffed. “I know he’s not ideal, either. But at least he’s…”

“Another creep,” Disgust supplied helpfully.

She pointed at a collection of photos that were painful reminders of the warped formations that had been Lois’ former relationship islands. Five pairs of eyes involuntarily looked at the current island that symbolized Lois’ relationship with Lex Luthor. It didn’t look any better than the previous ones.

Disgust shrugged. “At least he’s a wealthy creep.”

Joy shook her head. “Are we really being that shallow? And I don’t think that Clark is a creep. Maybe he’s just afraid to reveal himself in front of Lois. We should give him a chance. Maybe even make her see the truth.”

Fear shuddered. “You mean hitting the epiphany button? Are you insane? Last time we did that, Lois stayed in bed for three days straight.”

The other four emotions flinched with the memory. “Oh, yes, Claude,” Joy said, embarrassed.

Anger grabbed her collar. “Don’t say that name!”

“So, what are we going to do?” Sadness asked. “We could at least make her realize that she loves Clark.”

Joy nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

Fear started to tremble. “But what about the wedding? We can’t go back now. What will all the people think?” She turned violet with embarrassment.

Joy snorted. “Don’t worry. We’ll just take off the wedding dress, walk out of this room and everything will be fine.”

Fear turned from violet to white in an instant. “What? Undress in front of all those people? Have you completely lost your freakin’ mind?” The other emotions looked puzzled. But then Fear pointed at the screen. “Hello, Duh! In case you didn’t notice – we’re already standing in front of Lex and the arch bishop. And he’s just about to address Lois.”

The four other emotions stared at the screen in shock.

Disgust was the first one who managed to compose herself. She sat down on her chair, leaning back and watching the show. “Like I said, don’t worry girls. At least he’s a creep with enough money to last us a lifetime.”

“And what about love?” Sadness and Joy said in unison. “We need to abort this wedding.” They shared a quick glance with Anger and Fear.

Anger just gave a non-committal grunt. “If you must do it, go ahead. But if anyone says ‘I told you so’ don’t even think about stopping me, when I kill them.”

Sadness and Joy smirked. Then they turned to Fear.

“You’re in on this, too?” Joy asked.

Fear covered her eyes with her hands and crouched herself into a fetal position. Then she nodded.

Sadness and Joy both heaved a sigh of relief. Then they pushed the button just as the bishop looked at Lois expectantly. He was obviously waiting for her answer.

Lois voice was raspy. “I…I can’t.”

The relationship island started breaking apart. All five emotions watched the crumbling debris.

“Okay, girls,” Disgust heaved a sigh. “Let’s take a picture of that island as well, before it’s too late. It should fit well with the other ones on our wall of federal disasters.”

The End

Last edited by bakasi; 10/31/21 04:50 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool