Print Thread
#28882 03/31/06 09:48 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Snave, I'm so glad to see you post this!

To the rest of you on these boards, I've sent Snave a few private - and not altogether complimentary - emails about his story East Of the Garden. If you look up that story and then read just a little bit of my recent ranting and raving about deathfic and death-of-Lois fic, I'm sure you'll understand exactly what my objections to EOTG were... even though Lois doesn't stay dead in Snave's story.

But I just love Snave's first story, Cherub. If some of you haven't read that story already, please do it now! (Okay, I'll not ask Wendy and a few others to read it, since their views on kidfic are well known! wink But if you are the least bit interested in what it might be like to be five or six years old, to have recently discovered you have some very unusual abilities, and to find out it's up to you to try to rescue a big heavy adult man from drowning, you can't miss Cherub.)

And this new story is about what happens when Lois and Clark find out about their daughter's first super-rescue. As for the WHAM warning you include, Snave, let me just say that the WHAM in this story is the kind I can't get enough of! wink (By the way, thanks for teaching me a new English word, newel-post.) I just love the image of Emma falling-flying down the stairs!

And I love how Emma has been keeping her powers a secret from her parents. And I can so totally identify with her reason for doing it, too:
"Please don't be mad at me." She took a deep breath, and then it all began to tumble out. "When you told me you was Superman, you said that when I grew up and got your powers, that I'd hafta be Superman too." A tear began to trickle down one cheek. "An'nen, when I learned to fly, I was scared I'd hafta be Superman right then." She took a deep, quavering breath, and stared at her father with an earnest expression. "Daddy, I didn't know *how* to be Superman!"
Let me tell you, Snave, that if I had ever been a superpowered child, I would have reacted and reasoned exactly like Emma does here!

Of course, Clark and Lois understand their daughter so perfectly, and can give her all the reassurance that she needs. I completely love the waffiness here!

I love Emma's little-girl way of speaking, too. "You was", "I'd hafta", "an' nen", "he would 'a drownded if I didn't". And of course, her misunderstanding of the word "Superman", too! And I love it that Lois sees it as her duty to correct her daughter and make her speak grammatically correct English. And I totally love Emma's response to Lois's corrections:
"You're *always* making me say things right!" Emma glanced at her dad, and then back to Lois. "First you want me to be Superman, an' now you want me to be a reporter, too?"
I love it, Snave! Love it, love it. Thank you so much for this story. And - just so the rest of you on these boards know it too - I've been nagging Snave to write a sort of Super-Family story, seeing that the (to me) irksome "East of the Garden" ended with Lois getting superpowers. Wouldn't it just be so much fun to read a Snave story about Superman, Ultra Woman and little Superlady Emma, with even littler Gracie lady waiting in the wings?

Ann

#28883 04/01/06 12:10 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Nice story, Snave! I loved Cherub, and it was nice to see this 'missing scene'.

I have to tell you, though... While I have no problem with deathfics, I was wondering what your WHAM warning was all about. So when I reached the end and saw your April Fool message, I thought, 'so it didn't end with anybody dead, it was just a joke!' I had to look again to notice the last line. Silly me. :rolleyes:

Great story, Snave! Keep writing!
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#28884 04/01/06 06:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Love it! drool

"Actually, Lois, that's why I'm calling. Your father just dropped in, and he's asking if he can take me out to dinner. I told him I was tending Gracie, and he wants to take her along too."

Lois held out the phone and stared at it. She returned it to her ear. "Okay, who are you people, and what have you done with my parents?"

There was a startled gasp at the other end of the line. "Lois, what... Are you trying to be funny at my expense?"
clap

MAF clap

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#28885 04/02/06 04:57 PM
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Darn.

Drat.

Curses.

[Other unsavory epithets].

It looks like nobody noticed (or more likely, didn't think it was worth mentioning) the main joke in this piece:

WHAM Warning: This story contains an extended WHAM.
...Lois perceived all of this in a single Wrenching, Heart-stopping, Agonizing Moment -- a moment which seemed to extend on and on...
Ah, well. There's always next April Fool's... frown Maybe I'll just take my revenge by posting this to the Archive...

#28886 04/02/06 05:52 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Darn! (Smacks forehead! Bashes forehead! wallbash )

Well, I totally believe in all the stupid things people say to me on April the first. Also, I miss all the clever jokes.

I guess I'm just dense. (But boy, once I think I've figured something out, do I hang on to it!!!)

Anyway, Snave. You sure got me there!

Ann

#28887 04/03/06 05:32 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute story...nice addition to the previous piece.

And yes, I would have missed the joke if I didn't cheat and read the comment threads first...
devil
James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#28888 04/03/06 07:16 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, this genre isn't usually to my tastes, but there have always been exceptions to that and Snave you're definitely in the exceptions category for me.

This was beautifully cute and your heroine is just delightful. And as someone not prone to falling for the charms of little kids, you have to know that's a huge compliment. laugh

And LOL on the extended WHAM. (Yes, I read the comments folder first)

Oh, and I'll expect you to send this to the Archive anyway, revenge or not. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#28889 04/07/06 01:49 PM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
you little booger! that "wham" really had me worried! LOL! that was cute; Emma is adorable and the wham was a great homage to the date wink

#28890 04/08/06 09:03 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Snave

This is wonderful. smile1 I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard