Meet Sam Wayne, Part 6
By: C. Leuch

The east lawn of Wayne manor was abuzz with activity, the caterers and organizers moving about, setting up a vast field of round tables for the party that would be starting in less than an hour. The lawn had already been transformed, with the addition of a small stage on one end and expensive-looking statuary and plants around the perimeter of the clearing. Near the stage, a semi-circle of chairs and music stands had been placed, and the musicians that comprised the small orchestra were already beginning to arrive and set up. It would be a party the likes of which CJ had only heard about, a black tie event for the rich, famous, and politically connected. It was out there on that lawn, under the discerning eyes of the crème of society, that Sam Wayne would be introduced to the world.

“Nervous?” Bruce Wayne asked, drawing CJ out of his reverie. CJ had been planted in front of the parlor window for quite a while, staring absently out toward the lawn, lost in thought. Looking over his shoulder, he noticed Bruce standing just inside the door to the room, already mostly dressed for the party. CJ gave him a small smile.

“If I said no, would you believe me?” CJ said, taking a few steps away from the window. It had been a late night, and the eastern horizon had already started to lighten with the first shades of morning when he had finally returned. It had been harder than he had thought to leave Jenny asleep in the apartment, to return to Wayne Manor and an empty bed. Sheer exhaustion had lulled him to sleep, and he'd been glad to see that he had managed to pass the better part of the day in bed. That meant less time to think about tonight, to imagine the dozens of ways that he could end up blowing his new identity before it was even established.

Bruce studied him for a moment, then looked down and fiddled with a cufflink. “No, I don’t think so,” he said dryly. It was sometimes maddening to talk with Bruce, CJ thought as his smile grew slightly wider. His life had been all about hiding, and not just his identities. CJ suspected that Bruce had never really been close to anybody, that he had probably deliberately shied away from people, afraid of what would happen if he let anyone inside his defenses. Would being close to someone change him, make him forget his purpose in life? Would it lead to fate taking them away? The thought process was one that was somewhat foreign to CJ, but that didn’t mean that he couldn’t understand it. Beneath Bruce’s tough exterior was someone who was lonely, someone who had a lot more compassion than he let himself exhibit, and CJ knew it. Maybe one of these days he would coax Bruce out of his shell, but until then, he didn’t let himself get flustered by Bruce’s gruff, seemingly uncaring persona.

CJ grabbed a nearby chair, turned it around, and sat down. “Why should I be nervous?” he asked.

Bruce looked toward him slowly, apparently caught off balance for a moment. He raised one of his eyebrows, the barest hint of amusement in his features. “People seem to get all flustered around the rich and famous. Personally, I’ve never been able to understand it, but….”

CJ shook his head gently. “Look who I’m related to. Celebrity isn’t something that really bothers me. Strike one.”

Bruce straightened up and crossed his arms across his chest. The look in his eyes became sly, his smile morphing into a more knowing one. “Okay. You’re a college kid who’s made a career out of going to rowdy parties and keggers, who’s social and popular and can tell that joke about two guys walking into a bar better than anyone. Problem is, at this party the guy who can chug the most beer isn’t going to be a hero. Here, a sense of humor consists of witty jabs at politicians, if you can even call that humor, and the people who you might end up offending are in control of a large percentage of this country’s gross domestic product and can very easily make your life misery. Throw in a four thousand dollar suit and hors d’oeuvres that are all the rage but taste like something that’s been rotting in the hot sun for a few weeks, and you have a potential recipe for disaster. Is that a little closer?”

CJ stared at Bruce for a moment, his eyes wide, his mouth slightly open. “Uh, that sounds a little closer,” he said, shaking his head lightly. He’d never been under the illusion that tonight’s soiree would resemble the parties that he was used to, but when Bruce put it like that, it cast everything in a different light.

“Look, Clark,” Bruce said, taking a couple of steps forward. “I’ve been around these people my whole life. Trust me, they might wield a lot of power, but that doesn’t make them any more or less complicated than any other human being. Besides, you will wield a lot of power yourself now – they’ll be as cautious of you as you will be of them. You have plenty of natural charm; use it to your advantage.”

CJ’s smile was almost shy. “It’s the power and influence thing that probably bugs me most,” he said quietly. Bruce’s expression softened as he closed the gap between the two of them and rested his hand on CJ’s shoulder.

“You don’t have any yet, so don’t worry,” he said, the quip passing without so much as a smile from him. “Now, don’t you think it’s about time to start getting ready?” he asked, looking toward CJ’s hair, which still needed to be cut. The expensive Italian suit that he had been fitted for a week or so earlier also awaited him in his room, along with expensive cuff links, tie, tie tack, and cologne. He might not be much different, personality-wise, from the college kid who supposedly died on that airplane, but today he was going to look every bit the son of one of the most expensive men in the country.

CJ nodded and stood as Bruce pulled his hand away from his shoulder. CJ reached up and tousled his hair, giving a sideways grin. “I hate playing barber,” he said, “but darned if I’m not good at it.” He took a couple steps toward the door, then stopped and looked back toward Bruce. “Thanks,” he said simply.

“For what?”

CJ gawked at him for a moment, then held out his arm and pointed toward the window. “For this, for everything. It’s almost overwhelming. You’ve been so generous, and I feel like a bit of a jerk for, well…for being a little reluctant in accepting it all.”

Bruce looked down, then turned his gaze toward the window. “I can understand the reluctance,” he said, his features pained, his eyes distant. “But I understand pain, too. Sometimes it can become so overwhelming that it can threaten to eat away at the very core of your being. You find yourself doing things that you wouldn’t just to try and make it go away, but sometimes the harder you try, the worse it gets.” Bruce looked toward CJ, his eyes dark. “I could never let someone go through something like that alone if I can help it. It doesn’t matter that your family was wrenched away from you because of circumstance, it’s still a tragedy. You have so much life in you, Clark; it would be a shame to have that spark go out just for the sake of protecting your identity and the identity of a good friend of mine.” Bruce shrugged. “It was the least I could do.”

CJ nodded, giving Bruce the barest of smiles. He tried not to dwell on pain, tried not to let himself obsess over wild scenarios of what could have been. Life was too short to spend being worried all the time. But after the plane crash, he caught himself sinking into the abyss from time to time, succumbing to the dark thoughts and doubts. He’d wondered about who he’d become when it was all over with, and he supposed he still worried about that, but because of Bruce, he didn’t have to face a future without a name or identity. He knew he was lucky to have such a great friend. So why did he still feel somewhat hollow about what was about to happen?

“It’s just….” CJ began, then sighed. He’d talked to his father on the phone earlier, and they had discussed all the outstanding issues that had been looming over CJ’s new life. Jon had been right, their dad hadn’t been angry or upset over the fact that Bruce was going to step in and play the part of CJ’s father now. But CJ just couldn’t bring himself to think of Bruce as his dad, no matter how generous Mr. Wayne was. “Will you be too upset if I don’t call you ‘Dad’ tonight?” CJ asked, wincing a little at how blunt the question sounded.

Bruce didn’t seem too surprised or upset at the question. “You have a father, one who’s probably a thousand times the dad that I could even pretend to be.” Bruce’s smile was warm, and CJ felt himself relaxing. “I don’t expect you to forget about him just because of this. Without your family, you have nothing. Believe me, I respect that.”

“And for that, I thank you,” CJ said with a nod. “You are my family now, too.” He held out his right hand, and Bruce shook it gently. Without any further words, CJ took a step back, turned on his heel, and exited the room. It was time to get ready, and then to face the rest of his life. At least he could do it now without any lingering doubts or worries.

As CJ made his way down the long corridor toward his room, he actually found himself looking forward to the party. If nothing else, he could look forward to falling in love at first sight again.

Jenny handed her embossed invitation to the man at the gate, grabbed the arm of Lisa, her coworker at Gotham Magazine and “date” for the night, and walked through the floral arch and onto the east lawn of Wayne Manor. The building loomed over the far side of the lawn, its Gothic limestone façade imposing, its darkened windows giving it a lonely feel. The soft strains of an orchestra filled the air, rising above the ambient chatter of the assembled guests. Trees and bushes ringed the clearing, their lush, green color making the large space almost cozy. At first glance, it appeared to be a gathering indistinguishable from any other, but as Jenny looked closer, she could see the signs of wealth and excess that she knew would be present. Most of the women were wearing designer dresses and expensive jewelry, their rings containing stones large enough to finance a small third world country. The tables scattered throughout the clearing were covered with cloth-of-gold tablecloths and topped with large, colorful floral arrangements. Marble statues dotted the edge of the lawn, most unique and beautiful. It was enough to make Jenny almost feel self-conscious, her new, modest dress advertising her status as a member of a substantially lower class. She pulled her purse closer to her, unconsciously shrinking in on herself.

Lisa gave a low whistle as she looked around. “My compliments,” she said, turning toward Jenny. “I can’t believe you actually managed to score an invitation to a famous Wayne charity party.”

Jenny smiled lightly. “Bruce Wayne’s a friend of my husband’s family. He attended our wedding,” she said. “When he told me that he had something big to announce tonight, I asked for a scoop, so here we are.” She scanned the crowd, looking for a familiar face among the strangers, and not immediately finding any.

“Well, my old boss once told me that connections were at least as important in journalism as actual writing talent,” Lisa said.

“I don’t know about that. Besides, I can think of dozens of things I’d rather do than exploit this particular connection for a spot as a society reporter.”

“Don’t knock it,” Lisa said. “There are single guys at these things, single guys with money. You need to throw your hat back into the dating ring, and this is a great place to start.”

She didn’t know the half of it, Jenny thought with a smile. Lisa was the principal photographer for the magazine, and was technically here on assignment with Jenny. She was also Jenny’s best friend at the office, someone who was more than willing to offer a friendly ear and a little bit of usually outrageous advice. Lisa knew about CJ’s death, and was sympathetic to Jenny’s position, but that didn’t stop her from pointing out cute available men at every available opportunity. That was part of the reason that Jenny had insisted on bringing her to this event, even though they had never actually worked together on any stories yet. Lisa wouldn’t be able to resist pointing out Sam Wayne, and for once, Jenny wouldn’t be able to say no. Now all they had to do was wait for the big announcement, meet the new celebrity, and the rest would be history. Until the big event happened, though, it would be best to act like reporters, and see if they could find anything newsworthy.

“Why don’t we fan out?” Jenny said to Lisa, gesturing to the south side of the clearing. Lisa nodded and gave her a smile, then began to make her way toward the area where Jenny had indicated. Jenny went in the opposite direction, stopping every now and then to chat with the partygoers. After a few minutes, the orchestra went noticeably quiet, and a group of people began to gather near the stage. Jenny rooted around in her purse, pulling out a small tape recorder and switching it on just as Bruce Wayne climbed the steps and approached the microphone, flanked by a man in a handsome suit.

“Hello everybody, and thank you for coming to tonight’s Wayne Charities ball. The generous contributions from each and every one of you will be a great asset in the fight against poverty here in Gotham City.” A light smattering of applause swelled up and quickly died down. Bruce smiled and glanced to his side before addressing the crowd again. The man next to Bruce was grinning confidently, his posture relaxed, and his face strangely familiar. Glasses obscured his eyes, the rapidly setting sun casting a slight glare off them that almost made him hard to look at, but Jenny found that she couldn’t look away. She’d never been able to look away from that face, she thought with a smile, shaking her head a little as she contemplated the complete transformation that had to have taken place over the last day to turn her husband into the man that she saw up there on that stage.

“I have an ulterior motive in coming up here tonight, though,” Bruce said, his voice congenial. “About a month ago, a young man came knocking on my door, and before I could shoo him away, he told me an interesting story about a woman whom I met a quarter century ago.” Bruce took a quick breath, his demeanor almost nervous now. “It seems that not long after the woman and I parted company, she gave birth to a son who she raised in solitude, far away from Gotham City.” The crowd grew very quiet, and all eyes eagerly looked toward the stage, although they now seemed trained on the man next to Bruce. “She died quietly a couple of months ago, telling her son shortly before passing away of the circumstances that lead to his birth. She also told him for the first time that his father was…me.

“Naturally, I was a little skeptical of this stranger and his claims, but after getting to know him a little, and enlisting the services of a credible DNA lab,” Bruce said, flashing his teeth and drawing a small chuckle from the audience, “I have embraced him as my son. So tonight, I would like to introduce you all to this remarkable young man, Sam Wayne.” He gestured toward CJ, who held up a hand in greeting. The crowd applauded thunderously, although a decided murmur seemed to carry through the audience. After a moment, Bruce turned toward CJ and extended his right hand, which CJ shook briefly before stepping forward and embracing Bruce in a quick hug. As they separated, Bruce gestured toward the microphone, which CJ, Sam Wayne, approached almost hesitantly.

Flashes from camera bulbs lit up the stage, and Sam Wayne opened and closed his mouth a couple of times, his eyes scanning the audience, before he finally spoke. “I, uh, look forward to meeting all of you. Bruce has made me feel very welcome here, and even though this is a whole different world from the one I was raised in, it’s beginning to feel like home.” CJ glanced sideways, giving Bruce a smile. “Thank you,” he said, then turned back toward the crowd and nodded before stepping away from the podium.

The speech had seemed somewhat awkward, and Jenny wasn’t sure whether that was natural or by design. CJ hadn’t exactly been thrust into any situations that required speaking in front of large crowds except for his proposal to her, so she had nothing to gauge his reactions by. It seemed real enough, though. In fact, the whole situation seemed very real, and nobody should have any reason to question what they had just seen. CJ even looked a little bit like Bruce when seen from a distance. Jenny was impressed, and she caught herself smiling a little bit.
As CJ was shepherded across the stage and toward the steps, he scanned the crowd, his eyes quickly finding her. Jenny barely raised her hand, her smile widening, and he grinned in response, giving her a small nod. The next moment, he descended the steps and disappeared amongst the crowd. Jenny sighed and clicked her recorder off. Step one was complete. Step two would require seeking him out for an “interview,” although she suspected that might be easier said than done. A small mob had formed near the stairway, each person no doubt wanting a piece of the newest member of the Wayne family. Jenny didn’t especially want to join them, and she knew full well that CJ would seek her out at his earliest opportunity.

The orchestra started playing again a few moments later, and the party continued as if the little interruption had never occurred. Jenny wandered around the clearing, periodically glancing toward to mob around CJ. After a while, she met up with Lisa again.

“Did you see him?” Lisa asked breathlessly, gesturing toward the stage area.

“See who?” Jenny asked innocently. At Lisa’s incredulous look, Jenny smiled. “Sam Wayne, you mean?”

“Yes! I was up close to the stage when he was introduced and…holy cow. Why are the rich ones always so darn good looking?”

Jenny shrugged. “Guess I didn’t notice.”

Lisa opened her mouth to say something, then smiled and pointed at Jenny. “You’re pulling my chain, right? I mean, you might be a widow, but you certainly aren’t dead.”

“I was pretty far away,” Jenny said defensively. “Besides, I can look all I want, but why would someone like Sam Wayne look back? Seems to me that he can have any girl he wants.” It was fun to play devil’s advocate, Jenny decided, noting how her friend’s expression seemed to soften.

“Sure, he might be dancing with other girls right now, but that doesn’t mean anything. All you have to do is step right up there and….”

“He’s dancing with other girls?” Jenny asked, looking back where the mob had been and noticing it had dissipated.

Lisa laughed. “Oh yeah, you noticed him,” she said. She took a step forward, wrapped her arm around Jenny’s shoulder, and steered her toward the snack table. “Come on, let’s mooch off these guys for a little while. It’ll take your mind off things. Then maybe you can locate prince charming and get your exclusive…and a date.”

With a smirk, Jenny let Lisa lead her toward the food. They indulged themselves for a while before wandering back toward the crowd, each chatting with people and gathering information. After a few minutes Lisa sat down at one of the tables, but Jenny didn’t join her. Instead she decided to remain standing and scan the crowd again, hoping to catch sight of her husband without any luck.

Jenny sighed and looked longingly toward a nearby chair. After standing for the better part of an hour, her feet were beginning to cry out for mercy. Maybe after a short break, she could start to actively pursue her big interview with the newest Mr. Wayne. In the meantime, though….

“Excuse me, I couldn’t help but notice that you looked a little lonely. “ The familiar voice came from just behind her, causing a seductive smile to play across Jenny’s lips. A few feet away, Lisa’s head swung around, her eyes going wide as she looked just behind Jenny.

“Lonely is a state of mind,” Jenny said, not turning around. Behind her, the familiar stranger took a couple steps forward, and she could almost feel his breath on her neck. It was all she could do to stop herself from leaning into him, but the fixed gaze of her coworker reminded her of the situation, and forced her to keep her poise.

“I guess a state of mind is a terrible thing to waste,” the stranger said, a hint of amusement in his voice. “All the same, I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind having this dance, miss...?”

Jenny turned around slowly, her smile faltering a little as she caught of her stranger, Sam Wayne. Although she had easily been able to see him during the announcement, thanks in part to her newly enhanced vision, the finer details had been lost. Up close, though, she could appreciate all that went into his transformation. It was amazing to see her husband standing there looking very much like the man he was supposed to be portraying, a man who was worth a billion dollars. With the exception of their wedding day and a few semi-formal gatherings during college, CJ never dressed up. His unique body proportions made it almost impossible to find a well-fitting suit, and they had certainly never had the kind of money to shell over for something custom made. Now, though.... Jenny knew that she had always had a thing for well-dressed men. Even though she had thought that her relationship with CJ had revealed that particular crush to be nothing but fantasy, seeing him in front of her now in an expensive, perfectly cut suit, a very nice haircut and stylish adornments, she almost felt weak-kneed. Even the glasses didn’t seem too out-of-place or awkward on him.

“Missus. Kent, Jenny Kent,” she said after a moment, her voice raspy, as she extended her left hand toward him.

His disappointment was almost comically exaggerated. He looked down and grasped her extended hand, noticing the rings, before groaning slightly. “Oh, I knew she looked too good to be true. The beautiful ones are always married.” He gently leaned over and planted a light kiss on the back of her hand.

Jenny beamed at him, her cheeks feeling a little warm. Their eyes met, and she could see the playful spark in his, urging her to play along. “I’m widowed, actually,” she said, coaxing a softer expression from him.

“Then I was right. You are lonely.”

“I am,” she said softly.

He closed the gap between them, putting his arm around her waist. “Then let me help you chase away that loneliness.”

“I’d like that,” she said with a smile, and together they walked toward the dance floor. Quite a few couples had taken the opportunity to dance, and Jenny couldn’t help but notice a few people looking at her rather pointedly as she and CJ took their places among them. Gently, they started swaying to the music, the gap between them thinner than would be expected between two strangers. Jenny suspected that their intimate stance was part of the reason for the stares, but she couldn’t discount the obvious class difference between them, or the fact that she was now dancing with the big celebrity of the party.

“So that lonely line…I bet it works on all the girls,” she said with a teasing half-smile, aware that they had an audience.

“She questions my intentions,” he said to nobody in particular, adding a sigh for effect. After a moment, he turned back to her. “I’ll have you know that if I had something funny planned, I’d use a much cheaper line than that.”

“Like…?”

“Oh, pick one. Bruce has a million. How about, ‘Are you a parking ticket? Because you have fine written all over you.’”

Jenny chuckled. The fact that he managed to say the line with a straight face was impressive. She wondered if he really had used a similar line back in his bachelor days, but decided that she was happier not knowing. “Wow, that one is definitely cheap.”

“See? I went the extra mile, just for you.”

“I almost feel bad asking you why. I’m not exactly like all those high-society women around here.” A few of the surrounding couples seemed to crowd in a little closer as she spoke, their heads tilted as if listening for an answer.

“Do I need a reason?” CJ asked, his eyes twinkling. Jenny raised an eyebrow in challenge, hoping to coax more out of him. “You don’t need to be wearing jewels or a designer dress to be the most beautiful woman at this shindig. You are far and away the most attractive person here, and don’t let anyone tell you any differently.”

It was hard to fight the almost overpowering desire to kiss him. Although she knew that they were supposed to be acting out parts, there was a fair amount of their real thoughts and feelings coming through in their words. Their banter was natural, and although vague, there was nothing phony about it. Likewise, his expression told her that his last statement was one hundred percent true, that his words mirrored his actual feelings. Jenny felt herself leaning in toward him, certain that nobody would blame her for giving him a peck on the cheek after a compliment like that, but she stopped herself. Maybe it would be more appropriate if CJ made the first move.

Jenny straightened up, then smiled slyly. “You look pretty stunning yourself, Mr. Wayne. But then again, an Italian suit and a few billion dollars would look good on anyone.”

“I’ve been told I clean up pretty well,” he said, then smiled wickedly and leaned in toward her until his lips were barely an inch from her ear. Unconsciously, Jenny pressed into him as his body met hers. “If you think this suit looks good on me, you should see how it looks off me.”

Jenny laughed, drawing curious stares from surrounding guests, who already seemed somewhat scandalized by her close contact with him. “I’d love to, believe me,” she said quietly, meeting her cheek to his. They danced in silence for a few moments, then pulled apart as the song ended. Jenny felt disappointed that they would be forced to go their separate ways, but then remembered that she still hadn’t accomplished her mission for the night. As CJ attempted to step away, she kept her hand firmly behind his back, nodding fractionally as he looked at her in surprise.

“You said such flattering things to me, I thought that one more dance might be appropriate, even if I end up having to chase off the other women with a stick.” They both looked toward the perimeter of the dance floor, and noted a few women in rather revealing dresses looking their way, each with varying expressions of anger or disappointment.

As CJ looked back at Jenny, his smile was warm. “Let them wait. I chose to dance with you. And, might I add, I meant every word I said.”

“I’m sure you did,” Jenny said. “Part of the reason I’m sticking around is to wait and see what you say next. I mean, first comes the flattery, which tends to be followed by the expressions of undying love and the quick marriage proposal.”

CJ arched his eyebrows. “I suppose you could say that I love you as much as a man could love a woman he just met five minutes earlier,” he said nonchalantly. A woman nearby started to cough as he finished, causing his smile to broaden. “But unless you’re the silly type who believes in love at first sight, I guess that doesn’t mean much,” he continued. As he spoke his eyes wandered to her left hand, which he clasped in his right. “Besides, you seem to have a lingering affection for your late husband. That might be a problem.”

Her smile became crooked. “Maybe I do believe in love at first sight. As for my husband, I won’t tell him if you won’t.” She cocked her head and studied his face for a second. “You do look a lot like him, though, except for the glasses.”

CJ used to regularly tease his dad and brother about their glasses, using the occasion to brag about the fact that he didn’t need to disguise himself or look like the nerd that he secretly was. Jenny doubted that she was the first one to point out the irony of his position, although the blush that rose in his cheeks told her that she had hit a nerve. “Glasses make a man look distinguished,” CJ said defensively.

Jenny nodded and suppressed a giggle. He was cute when he was uncomfortable, and making him squirm was one of her favorite guilty pleasures. “Or nerdy. But I’m not knocking it,” she said, drawing a sideways glance and a sigh from him. Yes, it was certainly fun to turn the tables on him from time to time.

They swayed to the music for a few moments in companionable silence. Jenny tried to eavesdrop on some of the surrounding conversations, and couldn’t help but smile as she overheard some interesting things. Apparently the ruse was working, but they were also garnering quite a bit more attention than she had assumed. Maybe it was time to move along with the plan and arrange for a more private meeting. “So, uh, Mr. Wayne…Sam….”

“That is the name my mother gave me,” he said with amusement. Jenny knew that his parents hadn’t especially cared for the name, although CJ was rather neutral about it. He had referred to himself as “Clark,” his middle name, more out of habit than anything else. It felt strange to call him by his real first name, his new name, and apparently he felt the same.

“I’d love to hear all about your transformation into Gotham’s newest gold-plated bachelor, perhaps in a more private place.” She looked pointedly at the gathering crowd, which he responded to with a smile and a slight nod.

“Why do I get the feeling that you’re trying to interview me?” he asked, his voice teasing. He’d probably been waiting to use that line all night.

“It could be because I AM trying to interview you. I work for Gotham Magazine.”

“A reporter? Oh man, I should’ve known. Beautiful and cunning.”

“And on a deadline. How about dinner tomorrow?”

CJ’s eyebrows knit together in mock confusion. “Hold on a second. I thought it was the rich bachelor who asked the beautiful woman out and not vice versa.”

Jenny unclasped is hand, and started playing with his tie. “Maybe back in the dark ages. Besides, we’re not talking about a social meeting, it would be entirely business. So what do you say?”

“It’s a date,” CJ said with a smile, his hand on her back shifting lower. Jenny gave his a seductive smile, but didn’t say anything further as they danced to the music for a few moments. As the song reached a crescendo, Jenny saw someone slide in behind CJ and tap him on the shoulder. Surprised, CJ turned around, and was greeted by Bruce Wayne.

“May I cut in?” Bruce asked, and CJ stepped away, waving an arm toward Jenny.

“Be my guest,” CJ said. “Just watch out, she’s with the press.”

Bruce stepped in and put his arm around Jenny’s back. As the two started dancing, he looked back toward CJ. “The devil is a woman in a red dress, son.”

Jenny couldn’t hide her amusement as Bruce gave her his attention. “Fortunately, my dress is blue,” she said.

Bruce actually smiled gently, something that she didn’t see very often but which suited him well. “Then I guess we have nothing to worry about.” They looked at each other for a moment, gently swaying to the music, before he spoke again. “So, I see you met Sam.”

“I did.”

“You two seemed to hit it off pretty well.” Whereas CJ’s eyes seemed to twinkle with mischief as they spoke in code for their eager audience, Bruce’s features didn’t betray anything. He was probably much more used to ruse, to the double speak. Jenny suspected that she would get used to it after a while, too.

“It was like we’d known each other our whole lives.”

“And your story?”

Jenny’s smile grew. “Thanks for the tip and the invite. I think it’s definitely something the readers will be interested in. I, uh, would like to interview you, if that’s okay.”

Bruce nodded. “I expected nothing less. If you’d like to stop by, maybe tomorrow….”

Jenny made a face. “Well, your son seems to think we have a date tomorrow.”

With a quick motion, Bruce spun her around and dipped her backward, then pulled her up again. Jenny giggled. “You can make it afterwards, then.” At that moment, the music ended, and Bruce stepped away. “Until tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow,” Jenny said with a nod, then turned away and left the dance floor. It seemed like all the eyes were on her as she walked toward Lisa, and she couldn’t help but put a slight swagger in her step.

Lisa’s expression could only be classified as shock as Jenny approached the table and sat down. Jenny tried to act nonchalant, but with each passing second it became harder and harder to suppress a laugh. After a few moments of wide-eyed, gape-jawed silence, Lisa finally found her voice.

“You and Sam Wayne looked very good together,” Lisa said, her surprise morphing into a sly smile.

“You think?” Jenny asked.

Lisa tapped on her camera. “I have the pictures to prove it.”

Jenny smiled at her. “Well he seems to think that there’s something between us.” She shrugged and waved her hand. “Typical playboy flattery. But it takes more than a few smooth words and a pretty face to fool me.”

Lisa’s hand clamped onto Jenny’s arm. “Honey, there are a billion reasons to get pulled into that net, let me tell you.” After a moment her head cocked to the side and her eyes narrowed. “You seemed very into it, though. All laughs and smiles, and the way you danced….”

Jenny looked to the left and right, and leaned in toward Lisa, who was suddenly eager. “If you take the money and the smooth lines out of the equation, he is definitely someone worth getting to know a little better, I’ll admit that.”

“So…?”

“So I have an interview with father and son tomorrow.” Jenny sat up and smiled triumphantly. Lisa’s smile was so wide, Jenny’s face almost hurt just looking at it.

“Way to go, girl.”

“Come on,” Jenny said. She grabbed her purse and rose from her chair. “I don’t think that there’s any more reason to be here.”

Lisa nodded, reached for her camera and stood up. As the two walked toward the exit, Jenny took one last look over her shoulder, easily finding CJ among the crowd. She pursed her lips, gave him a wink, waited a second for the look of shock and longing before bringing her attention in front of her again.

“About those pictures,” she said to Lisa as they reached the gate. “You think I could get some copies?”

To thine own self be true.