Hi all,

It's Friday morning and time for another Chapter. I hope you enjoy. smile

Chapter Nine

In The Name Of The Father

One week after the momentous meeting in the Kent family home, Matthew 'Jor-El' Kent strode back and forth in one of the boardrooms on the top floor of The Daily Planet. On this occasion, Perry White had appropriated the room for his own personal use, and woe betide any uninitiated or wayward employee who dared to interrupt the Chief's private space. Lois Lane, however, was neither uninitiated nor wayward.

Lois stepped from the elevator, her high-heeled shoes clicking on the hardwood flooring as she hurried down the corridor, checking her watch. She was late. Why was it that the Planet's lawyers always chose the most inopportune moments to knock on her office door? As usual, they'd spent more time than was necessary explaining that a story could not be published in quite the way Lois had edited it; not if she wanted to keep the Planet's owners out of a court of law.

Of course, Lois found any visit from the firm's lawyers inopportune, but, on this particular morning, their appearance was extra galling. She had no time nor energy to waste, and she'd astounded her visitors by quickly caving into their demands. Her mind was currently focused on an evolving story; one the media and the public would be talking about for days to come.

She tapped lightly on the door and grinned slightly as she heard a voice.

“Who's there?” The whispered voice asked, but Lois had no difficulty in recognizing Perry's drawl. Clearly, he was taking no chances that the clandestine actions taking place inside would be discovered.

“It's Lois!” She was tempted to giggle hysterically at the cloak and dagger approach, but realized she had to remain calm for the sake of her son.

Perry unlocked the door and opened it just wide enough to allow Lois access and she slipped inside, paying little attention to Perry re-engaging the lock. The lighting in the long room was more muted than usual. Someone had drawn the blinds over the long windows, keeping out the brightly shining sun and the attention of any would-be spies. At this point in time, she thought the precautions unnecessary. Perry might have made the arrangements for the press conference, but he'd kept these actions low key and made it clear he was acting on behalf of another party. The media and the public were not yet aware they had anything to spy upon.

However, her intuition that Matthew would need her to project a sense of composure had been spot on. Before her, a youthful superhero marched up and down while his grandmother followed him, trying, with difficulty, to arrange the fall of the blue cape.

“I'm sorry I'm late. Collins and his minions talked on and on,” Lois explained, walking up to the head of the long table. “I have no idea why they couldn't understand I was agreeing to their proposals. I swear I was at the point of throwing them out.”

That brought a grin to Perry's face. “They probably thought they'd been transported to the twilight zone. No doubt old Collins' blood pressure almost hit the roof. He's not used to Lois Lane backing down without a fight.”

“I have no time to argue with stuffy old lawyers today.” Lois' hands rested on the back of a chair as she watched her son pause to give her a silent nod of recognition, before resuming his march, his fingers seeming to count off unspoken thoughts. “Matt, stand still for a moment to allow Grandma to put the finishing touches to your cape. We don't want the stitches coming apart in front of the cameras.”

“According to you, Mom, my aura's supposed to protect it.” Matt came to an abrupt halt. “Wait a minute. That never happened to Dad, did it?” he asked, his nerves stretched as tight as a Stradivarius.

“No, dear,” Martha answered soothingly, stopping just short of crashing into her grandson's back. She was quite unruffled by his anxieties, and not fooled by Lois' collected manner either. “Though, if any part of his suit did get damaged, it was the cape, but usually just the edges.”

“Unless you count the time he lost his complete uniform during the Nightfall incident. I was told some homeless man found him naked in a crater.” Lois believed a little distraction might be in order, but schooled her mouth into a straight line at the look of consternation on Matthew's face. Oh dear, that had not been the best Superman anecdote to use as a diversion. She had to learn to stop her tongue from disengaging from her brain. At her age, she really ought to know better... but then she was feeling a little stressed.

“How come I'm only just hearing these horror stories now?” Matt demanded. As the appointed time for press conference drew nearer, he was beginning to be overwhelmed by second thoughts about whether he was ready for this next huge step.

“Oh, there are lots of stories you haven't heard about, but the Nightfall Asteroid was probably one of the biggest catastrophes your Dad ever faced. It's not like those disasters come along everyday, thank goodness.” Lois quickly sought to reassure Matt. “But this is exactly why I want you to start your superhero career off in a small way.”

Matthew sighed audibly. “Mom, it's a bit late now for laying down more rules.”

Lois hurried to her son, taking his hands in her own. “I'm not... really I'm not. These aren't new rules, just emphasizing the earlier ones.” She spread his arms and looked him up and down, her sight growing misty. In the gloom, she was transported back in time to the newsroom when Clark had worn that suit. “Forgive me, Matt, I didn't mean to sound discouraging. It's just that seeing you in the suit makes everything seem so real. My son the superhero.” She brought their clasped hands together again. “The black suit is inspiring. You look... good... so good.” Lois wanted to say beautiful, but felt that description wouldn't sit well with Matt. “And I'm so proud of you. You'll do a wonderful job. I don't doubt that.”

“I'm not so sure, Mom. I'm just beginning to think you might have been right when you said I was too young.”

“Don't you worry yourself about that, Matt,” Martha advised, snipping off the final stitch and smoothing down the silky folds of the cape. “There, now it's flowing just right,” she said after standing back to view her work. “Your second thoughts are due to first day butterflies... like you got when you were little and started kindergarten....”

“Yeah, but back then Dad was there to give me moral support. I remember how he hung about for a long time after I went inside. I could see him through the window.”

The occupants of the room shared a poignant smile.

“Yes, and he was back waiting outside for an hour before the kindergarten finished,” Lois said. “He was so anxious for you. I think his butterflies were a lot bigger than yours, and when you breezed out without a care in the world, he was so upset. I remember the look on his face. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.”

“Clark always did have the softest, kindest heart of any of my employees.” Perry slid thankfully into a seat at the opposite end of the table, laying down his cane and removing his handkerchief from his pocket. “Your mom's right, Matt. You might not be wearing the red and blue, but you sure are bringing back memories... good memories, so don't you go worrying about that either.” The Chief blew his nose, noisily. “Now come on, ladies, enough of the ' hearts and flowers' stuff. We've got less than an hour to prepare for the press conference and having three old fogies crying over bygone days isn't helping Matt, at all.”

“Speak for yourself, Perry. I am not old!” Lois declared, pretending annoyance. “And Martha isn't crying... much. But you're correct. We're here to help Matt, not scare him witless.”

Matt gave a sound that was somewhere between a laugh and a grimace. “You're not to blame, Mom. I'm managing to do that all by myself.”

For a fleeting moment, Lois was tempted to take advantage of Matthew's beginner's nerves. With a few sympathetic words of agreement, she could keep him safe from the perils of guarding the world for a few more months, perhaps even years. But they'd come too far.... In her heart of hearts, she recognized her son was ready to fulfill his destiny. What he needed from her now was encouragement to take that first step.

“Matthew, look at me,” Lois said, turning her son's face to hers. “I know you're going to do just fine. You have all the superpowers you need to be a hero and you're definitely clever enough to figure out the complicated rescues. But most important of all....” Lois' hand came to rest on the crest of Matthew's suit. “You have a kind heart. You care about what happens to people. Those were the qualities that helped your Dad become a superman, and they'll do the same for you. You just have to trust your instincts....”

“Your mom's right, Matt. Listen to your heart, and you won't go far wrong.” Martha's words of wisdom followed those of Lois, but as always, she was there with practical help too. “And if you find yourself unsure, or in trouble you have Bernard's tracker, so someone will always be close at hand.”

“I guess,” Matthew said a little doubtfully. “Mom, I just wish you and Grandma could be at the press conference... or that it could be held outside the Daily Planet.”

“Matt, we've already discussed this,” Perry chimed in again. “The first human your dad met during his debut as Superman was Lois Lane, the Planet's top reporter. It was understandable that he'd give his exclusive interview to her, and that he'd continue to have a connection to her and the paper she worked for. But even that caused problems now and then. This is your first contact with the media. We can explain away the fact that you contacted the Planet to arrange the press conference because of their link to Superman, but you don't want to emphasise that connection. Believe me, it's a less risky idea to hold the press conference outside City Hall.”

“I know... I know. And you're sure Uncle Jimmy will be there to start the ball rolling with the questions we've rehearsed?” It was clear Matt's stress levels were rising with every passing moment.

Perry checked his watch. “He'll already be heading over to City Hall, and I'll be there too. If you feel you need to see a friendly face, you just look out for either one of us.”

“Perry, I'm still not sure your presence is a good move. You haven't covered any stories in years,” Lois said, her hands smoothing Matt's sleeve.

“Honey, I might only work part time and I know you do a lot of the hard work these days, but I am still Editor in Chief of the Daily Planet and this is the biggest story to hit the public in years. Jimmy can write the headlines, but I was a firm supporter of Superman in his day and I think that entitles me to write an op-ed piece for the Sunday supplement on the arrival of his son. Besides, I'm an old man and it won't matter so much if endorsing a superhero makes me into a target....”

“Perry, I don't want anyone to become a target.”

“Mom, if you can't be there, I'd like Uncle Perry to be,” Matt interrupted, disentangling his mother's tense fingers from his arm. “You're creasing the suit, Mom. I can't appear in public for the first time with a wrinkled suit!”

“Sorry,” Lois mumbled, moving away lest she couldn't resist the temptation to continue her nervous stroking. She had to start thinking more positively. “So, Matt, do you remember what you have to say?”

“Mom, we've been through this a thousand times....”

“I think that's a little over the top, but you have to know your lines. The media can be like vultures if you falter.”

“Mom, I'm lived with you my whole life. I think I know about the press.”

“Just don't tell them you've made Metropolis your home. Your dad did that and every crime boss in the city went gunning for him.”

“Right!”

“Keep them guessing son,” Perry advised, leaning back in his chair and adding his words of experience. “If anyone asks where you're based, you tell them you'll go wherever and whenever you're needed.”

“Except on school days....”

“Matt, I've already made it clear I don't want you missing classes,” Lois said, adamantly.

“Don't you think someone might notice that, Mom?”

Again Perry came to Lois' defense. “Son, that's the benefit of being vague. If you're not around in Metropolis, people will just assume your working elsewhere.”

“But won't the public wonder why there are no reports by the foreign press?” Matt had tried to push the envelope on his mother's rules and regulations before without success, but he saw no reason why he shouldn't try again at this late date.

Lois folded her arms, echoing her husband's pose and well aware of her son's intentions. “But there will be reports. Now you have Uncle Bernie's gizmos, I'm not too worried about you going to overseas' rescues in your free time. Just make sure you let one of us know where you are and how you're doing at all times. I'm trusting you, Matt, to stick to the rules we've agreed.”

“OK, Mom, I guess I can live with that until you decide I'm old enough to look after myself.”

“No one is ever too old to accept help from others, Matt. There's no shame in that, as you'll find out.” Perry said, levering himself from his seat. “Even your dad realized he needed help now and then. Time's a wasting and I really do need to go.” He leaned heavily on his cane while he limped his way to the door. “Good luck, son!”

“Thanks, I'll need it,” Matthew whispered, watching the door close behind the man who'd often stood in place of the father he'd lost.

Sadly, Perry White had ignored his own sons when they were growing up in favour of his profession, but he'd jumped wholeheartedly at the second chance to mentor the Kent kids after Clark's disappearance. Sometimes old hound dogs did learn new tricks.

“OK, let's get this cowl and mask in place and see how it looks,” Martha suggested, breaking into the heavy silence that had descended on the room after Perry's exit. “We don't have much time left.”

“You're right, Martha. Do you need a hand?” Lois asked, anxiety still leaking a little through her enforced calm.

“Don't you think I should try to do this myself? After all, I'm going to have to learn how to dress myself in this suit at superspeed.” Matt's tiny smile took the edge off his impatient tone as he looked from his grandmother to mother.

“Yes, dear, but this is the first time you'll wear the suit in public and we want to make sure you look your best,” Martha said. “You'll have plenty of time to practice later.”

Martha's even temper steadied the younger members of her family while her clever fingers went to work with the one piece hood and mask. Within minutes her task was complete and both she and Lois stood back to view the result. Again there was silence.

“Well, what's the verdict?” Matthew demanded, his nerves getting the better of him once more. “I look totally dorky, don't I?”

“No, no!” Lois gasped, one of her hands coming up to her mouth. “You look... super!

“Your mom's right. It works, Matthew. You look every inch the superhero.”

“Come on. There's a restroom over here.” Lois grabbed her son's arm and started dragging him to the end of the room, while Martha followed behind. “You can judge for yourself.”

Seconds later Matthew was staring at his image in the full length mirror. “Oh, boy,” he ground out breathlessly, turning this way and that. “I don't even recognize myself.” Slowly, he pulled his shoulders back and firmed his chin, instinctively adopting his father's stance.

Actually, Lois understood exactly what he meant. If she hadn't been in on the secret, she would never have believed the imposing figure in the glass was her sixteen year old son. Of course, the suit and the mask helped with the tranformation. Like every other teenage boy, Matt's preferred attire was jeans and T-shirt, or perhaps sweats. He only owned one dress suit, and he'd got that under protest.

But it wasn't only the clothes. Before her eyes, she watched him morph into the superman persona. She suspected that the transformation wouldn't last. There would be times in the future, when he'd come home from a rescue, which hadn't gone quite as well as he planned, feeling traumatized and confused. A sixteen year old boy trying to do a super man's job, who needed her understanding and her support. And she would be there for him. No matter how many painful memories it invoked. It would seem that was one of her roles in life -- to sustain the father and now the son. She prayed to god she would never have to mourn her son.

“The mask part isn't too bad, but the hood seems a bit tight, Grandma.” Matthew was stretching his neck from side to side.

“Aerodynamics, sweetie. Cuts down on wind resistance.” Martha gave the standard answer... just as she had to Clark. “Besides, I wanted it to feel like a second skin.”

“Yes, Matt. You're dad told me that the more he wore the suit the more comfortable it became. I'm sure it will be the same for you.” Lois stepped closer and started rearranging the cape. “You'll grow into it in no time.” Her hands waved towards the mirror. “Look at you! You already look the part.”

“As much as Dad did?” Matt asked, betraying his biggest fear that he could never live up to Superman's reputation.

“Matt, you said yourself you didn't want to be a carbon copy of Superman. You wanted to be your own kind of hero... and you will. The black suit is so... cool, I think is what your sisters would say. Now you don't have much time left and I think it would be a good idea if you went flying for a bit before going to City Hall. Let yourself get more at ease in the suit before you tackle the media.”

As with Clark, Lois was aware Matthew enjoyed flying the most of all his powers. A short flight would help ease his nerves and maybe he'd even manage to do a small rescue before arriving at the conference. A rescue would give Matt an extra boost of confidence... as long as nothing went wrong. Oh, dwelling on negative thoughts wasn't good. She had to stop acting like a clingy mother and send her son off with a smile.

Lois pulled Matthew into a tight hug, then quickly released him, smiling into his face. “Go on, Matt. Go be Jor-El. The public needs another superhero, and we're all so proud of you.”

Matt started to move, but at the last moment he tugged his mother and then his grandmother into his arms. “I'll try not to let you down,” he said, so softly that both women had to strain to hear.

“Matt, you could never let us down. We love you.... No matter what happens, remember that.” Lois kissed her son's cheek just below the silk of the mask. “And wherever your father is... I know he would be proud too....” A sob threatened to cut off her breath and she mentally shook herself. “Now get out of here, Jor-El. Go and do super things!”

“Yes, Mom.” Matt gave a laugh as he stepped back. “Grandma, did you boss Superman about like this?”

“Of course I did, sweetie!” Martha joined in his laughter and soon Lois was laughing too.

Then the boy in the black and blue suit was gone, a slight gust of wind following in his wake. The Kent women collapsed into each other's arms. Neither quite knew whether they were laughing or crying... but both of them felt the presence of a ghost in the room. Clark would have so loved his boy.

Next morning, the banner headline of the Daily Planet read 'In The Name Of The Father'. Excited Metropolitans rushed to the news-stands to buy their copies, avidly devouring the information heralding the advent of another superhero. Across the United States and round the globe, newspapers picked up the story. Online media sites covering the news were inundated with so many hits that the high-powered web failed for the first time in years, as technology struggled to cope with the deluge, while images of Jor-El filled TV screens in almost every home in the free-world.

Lois' and the family's assumption that the public would welcome another superhero into their midst proved to be correct. It seemed that the years spent without Superman had taught the World's population to appreciate his great gifts, and they were ecstatic to learn that someone else would be there to watch over them again. Such was the collective elation, that, for the moment, conspiracy theorists, zenophobics and organized crime bosses, whom Lois had fretted so much about, didn't dare to raise their hands against the son of Superman.

Jor-El was the people of Earth's new hero and, as the weeks and months passed by, their first flush of adulation settled into a feeling of kinship and respect. Matthew Kent was aware that he owed his easy acceptance to his father, yet he wouldn't have wished it any other way.

tbc