Go With Me On This One 3/4

From Part 2

“Go for me Lois and if things get out of hand, we’ll leave. Just tell me. I’m dying to see you in that black gown.” Clark smiled jokingly but meant every word.

“Well, okay then...but if I say...”

“Then we’ll exit. I’ve gotta go, honey.” Absentmindedly, Clark sweetly kissed Lois on the lips and ran out. He left Lois standing there with her hand on her lips. “Wow,” was all she could say.

When Clark got to the elevator, he realized what he had just done and thought that maybe he had crossed the line. It was wonderful while it lasted and she did respond. He’d just have to wear his bulletproof jacket home. He smiled to himself.

And Now Part 3

Later that evening Lois and Clark were at home getting ready for the dance. Matt had already gone with some of the guys. Lois was wearing a black evening gown with thin straps and Clark donned a black tux. After adoring Lois from afar as she stared at herself in the full-length mirror Clark came up behind her to place her pearls. Then he said in almost a whisper, “You are so beautiful.” Lois could feel his breath on the nape of her neck right at the lobe of her ear. Clark’s hands gently lingered on her shoulders for a few seconds. Just before he retreated he lightly kissed Lois on her shoulder.

Lois turned to face her handsome partner with a fresh sheet of tears forming and simply replied, “Thank you.” Then after gaining her composure she said, “You are just so handsome in that tux. I’m glad that I’ll be the woman on your arm tonight.” Lois smiled. “Linda will really show her claws tonight. She’ll probably want to chew off one of her paws when she sees you.”

“It’s not Linda that I want to be with.”

Lois stiffened and stared Clark right in the eyes. His mind was saying to him, “Uh ooo...splat!”

In an attempt to redeem himself, Clark stuck out his arm and said, “Ready?”

“Yeah, let’s go.”

The dance was uneventful for the most part. Perry and Jimmy and the entire Planet staff were there. But it wasn’t long before the resident feline appeared.

“Well, hello, Mrs. Kent and Clarkie.”

“Hi.” Clark started to pull Lois away to the dance floor.

“Oh, Lois, mind if I cut in?”

“Linda, I mind,” Clark interjected.

“Fine!” Linda said as she stormed off.

Clark and Lois danced with Clark holding her close, his fingers mindlessly wandering over her soft bare back. Lois laid her head on his chest. Clark seemed in deep thought but then finally started to speak.

“You’re so beautiful...you’ve taken my breath away...a few times tonight. You don’t ever have to worry about losing me to Linda...or anybody for that matter. I love you. You’re the only woman that I want to be with.” There, he’d said it.

Lois’s rational mind shouted, “Danger!” But she tried to remain calm. She snuggled closer to Clark and just breathed in his scent. She didn’t quite know what to say. After all, he didn’t really feel that way. It was all a part of the grand charade.

“Um...Clark...I’ve got to go to the ladies room.”

“Okay...You okay?”

“Yeah, sweetheart, I’m fine.” Lois stood on her tiptoes and kissed Clark on the lips. “Stay put, Kent.” He just smiled.

Clark’s was praying that he didn’t scare Lois off... again...with that declaration. But for some reason it came tumbling out and he needed her to know how he felt. It may be to his advantage if she thought the declaration to be a part of the grand charade. Suddenly his super hearing picked up on Lois in the bathroom. Oh no! Linda King in the bathroom, with Lois, alone! God he hoped that Lois wouldn’t let Linda get to her.

Lois entered the bathroom and there sitting fixing her makeup was none other than Linda King. Linda turned in the direction of Lois’s footsteps. Before she could say anything, Lois spoke through clinched teeth.

“Don’t start with me Linda! I’m going to use the ladies room and then I’m leaving.”

Then tears ran down Linda’s face. Lois looked up to the heavens and mumbled ‘I know I’m gonna regret asking this.’

“What’s wrong Linda?”

“Paul...I just caught him in the vestibule with Sam, the weather girl from the STAR. They weren’t just making out Lois. He had her gown up around her waist and he was...”

“Linda, I’m sorry, but think about how you got him.”

“Yeah, you’re right and I’m sorry for that.”

“You did me a favour because otherwise, I probably wouldn’t be with Clark.”

“Oh, yeah, Clark. Face it Lois, I’m the one who should be with Clark. I’m blonde and blue, you know rocky road and you’re brown and brown, you know, vanilla...plain.”

“It’s not the outside Linda. It’s what’s in here,” Lois said as she placed her hand on her chest. Clark knows me better than I know myself sometimes. He is my partner and he still loves me. Obviously with Paul it’s all about...” Lois wandered off with the wave of her hand.

“You think Clark and I could go out as friends sometimes? I mean, if he turns me down then you’ve proven your point, but he wont. He’d have to be dead or gay...or Superm...no Superman couldn’t even resist me.”

“Listen to yourself! You’re doing the same damn thing! Stay away from Clark! He’s my husband and I’m more in love with him than I’ve ever been in love with Paul or anybody else. And he’s in love with me. Don’t you dare! He would never be interested in you anyway.”

“How can you be so sure Lois?’ Linda giggled facetiously to herself.

“Because he doesn’t lie down with stray dogs. He’s afraid of catching fleas. Now I’m going to pee and then I’m leaving. I wish you and Paul well. You deserve each other.”

Clark had heard the ladies room conversation and smiled to himself. Lois had said that she was in love with him. Could it be real or was it a part of the façade? He didn’t want to get his hopes up. Mad Dog Lane...er...Kent...had handled things with Linda without allowing Linda to get to her. And Paul...that oxygen thief...had problems. Clark headed towards the ladies room.

Lois walked past Linda and just shook her head as she exited the ladies room. When Lois opened the door she ran right into Clark.

“Clark, sweetheart, can we go home?”

“Sure honey.” Clark placed his arm around Lois’s waist and guided her out, heading for home. He was so proud of her. At that moment, he realized something that he didn’t think possible. He loved Lois more.

As they left the dance, Clark having his arm possessively around Lois, started talking. “I heard you and Linda in the ladies...or should I say cat room...” He pointed to his ear briefly. Lois understood the gesture.

“I know. Can you believe her...?”

tbc...

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.