Go With Me On This One 2/4

From Part 1

“Lois, you’re my best friend and I should have told you this sooner, especially after…but…well…I’m Superman. I thought you should know just in case I have to leave during the night…with you right beside me…well…”

“Clark? How could you? Why did you wait so long to tell me? Did you trust me that little? Did you think I‘d make a headline out of it?”

“I’ve never told anyone, Lois. Only my parents know. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t know if you would still accept me or think I was repulsive, or…and I didn’t want anyone hurting you to get to me. I’m an alien, Lois. I…please don’t be too angry with me.”

Clark had decided that it was best to leave out the part about wanting Lois to fall in love with him…Clark…and not the super hero.

“Clark…we don’t have time for me to be angry with you right now. We’ll sort it out later. Matt will be here soon. All those lame excuses…”

Clark took the gift horse and galloped away on it. He knew that Lois’s wrath was much worse than his could ever be.

And Now Part 2

Soon Matt was knocking at the door. Clark reached out for Lois’s hand and she took it.

“Are you ready?”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

Clark answered the door and invited Matt in. They did the male embrace while shaking hands thing. Matt was a tall good-looking brown-headed guy. He was buff, but not as buff as Clark. They had obviously played football together. Matt had blue eyes and a nice smile as well.

“Matt, this is my wife, Lois. Lois…Matt Young.”

“Nice to meet you Matt,” Lois said smiling.

“Nice to meet you, too, Lois…Lane? Lane and Kent?”

“Yes.”

“Kent, you’ve been holding out on me man. You never told me that you had a wife or that she was so beautiful,” Matt continued as he kissed Lois on the cheek.

“She is beautiful, isn’t she?” Clark gently glided his fingers through Lois’s silky hair and looked in her eyes.

Lois just smiled. Clark always knew exactly what to say to make her feel…loved?

“Well, Matt, make yourself at home. It’s not much, but…it’s enough for the two of us right now.”

“You guys gonna start trying to have kids soon?”

“It depends on Lois. We haven’t really talked about it yet. And besides, we’ve only been married for a couple of months.”

“It’s just that a kid would get so much love from you two. You have so much love for each other. Stevie Wonder…anyone can see that. I mean I’m an adult and I’m feeling loved just being around you two.” Matt giggled.

“Maybe, we’ll see.” Clark laughed in spite of himself. Was he that obvious?

Matt, Clark and Lois talked for a while as Clark made and served dinner. He whipped up one of his pasta dishes that was one of Lois’s favorites. Most of the time Lois just listened as Clark and Matt played catch-up.

“Clark, I’ll clear the dishes. You and Matt go and have some male bonding time.” Lois kissed Clark on the cheek as she walked by him with an armful of dishes after they were done.

“Honey, you sure? I can take care of them...”

“Go! You cooked.”

Clark did as he was told. Lois was taking to this wife part pretty quickly which was much to his satisfaction. He just didn’t want her to explode on him later for feeling stereotyped.

Before long Matt was dozing off and they all decided that they should call it a night. Clark brought out covers and an extra pillow for Matt. He was actually allowing Lois time to get comfortable. Shortly thereafter, Clark returned to the bedroom. Matt was already sound asleep. His snoring was very audible.

Clark stood on the side of the bed closest to the doorway in his sleeper shorts and a tee shirt. He wasn’t wearing his glasses. He wasn’t hiding from Lois anymore. Lois stood on the opposite side. They were both sort of suspended in animation. Neither was looking at the other. Finally after what seemed like an eternity, Clark got Lois to look at him and silently asked Lois if she was sure about this. She in turn reached out her hand to him. Clark came around to Lois’s side of the bed and pulled back the covers. Lois got in with her silky white gown on. Clark then pulled the covers up to her chest and then squatted beside her.

“Lois, are you sure? It’s not too late to change your mind, you know.”

Lois grasped Clark’s hand and kissed it. Then she answered simply, “I know. Yes, I’m sure.”

Clark went around to his side of the bed and climbed in. He was very nervous about this. It was going to be a long night with Lois sleeping right next to him. All of his senses were on edge. She was nervous too. He could hear her heart racing.

They laid there in the dark for a few minutes in silence. Clark was on his side of the bed and Lois on hers. One was not touching the other. Clark knew that Lois wasn’t asleep. He could tell by her breathing and her still rapid heart rate.

“Lois, honey...” Clark whispered. He rolled over towards Lois and gently touched her shoulder.

“If this makes you uncomfortable...”

Lois turned to face Clark and get closer to him. He responded by cuddling her with both arms. Lois then replied, “No, just...perfect. Clark...”

“Yes.”

“You’ve called me honey a few times when nobody was around...”

“I’m sorry. I’ll try to be more careful...”

“No. It’s okay. I just wanted to tell you that you’ve gone above and beyond, already and you don’t have to do that. I know that this is just for a few days.”

“I know. Now get some sleep.” Clark held Lois in both arms, cocooned facing him. He kissed her on the forehead and said goodnight.

Lois slept more restfully that night than she had in a long time. She awakened briefly once when Superman made a departure. She even got to see Clark spin right before her eyes for the first time. She couldn’t get comfortable again until he returned. He simply said, “Robbery,” as he climbed back into bed, gathered Lois in his arms again and went back off to sleep.

Lois awakened in the morning disoriented. She was engulfed in a warm soft pillow against her back. As her eyes came into focus, she remembered being in Clark’s bed therefore the pillow must be Clark. It just felt so right. He seemed to awaken at the same time.

Clark awakened with Lois in his arms. This felt so right. He breathed in the scent of her hair and it made him almost high. He lay there for a moment, not wanting to wake Lois, not wanting the moment to end. But, too soon later, she stirred.

They got up, somewhat awkwardly and got ready for work. Matt was already gone. He’d wanted to meet some of the guys for breakfast.

After Lois and Clark dressed and ate breakfast, they headed on in to the Planet.

The first full day at the Planet of Lois and Clark being ‘married’ went like any other normal day in the lives of Lane and Kent. Nothing seemed different to the average onlooker. But Perry on the other hand could tell that a major breakthrough had happened with Lois.

Clark had been designated between the two to attend the conference, for a couple of reasons. First, so that Lois didn’t have to deal with Linda and Paul and second, no one would miss him when Superman was needed. Earlier on Lois had covered for a Superman departure. It almost came naturally. Clark was surprised...that Lois’s excuses were far better than his.

Tuesday night Matt was out late partying with the crowd. Lois and Clark went home but promised everyone that they would attend the dance on Wednesday night.

All of Wednesday, Lois had been trying to find reasons not to attend the dance. Clark noticed that she seemed fidgety and nervous. On one of his breaks from the conference, when he returned to the newsroom, he took Lois by the hand and led her to one of the vacant conference rooms.

“Sweetheart, what’s wrong? Why don’t you want to go? I mean we don’t have to but...I’d like to show you off.” Clark smiled.

“Oh, I don’t know. Those dances are just so juvenile. Everyone will be drunk and belligerent. I’m just not...”

“Paul and Linda will be there and probably try to hurt you or embarrass you...let me know if I’m getting warm here.”

“Oh, Clark...I just...”

“Go for me Lois and if things get out of hand, we’ll leave. Just tell me. I’m dying to see you in that black gown.” Clark smiled jokingly but meant every word.

“Well, okay then...but if I say...”

“Then we’ll exit. I’ve gotta go, honey.” Absentmindedly, Clark sweetly kissed Lois on the lips and ran out. He left Lois standing there with her hand on her lips. “Wow,” was all she could say.

When Clark got to the elevator, he realized what he had just done and thought that maybe he had crossed the line. It was wonderful while it lasted and she did respond. He’d just have to wear his bulletproof jacket home. He smiled to himself.

tbc...

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.