Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Onaleia Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I really like Mayson as you've written her here. Your writing provides such a clear picture of how Mayson really cares about Clark. I found myself reflecting on Clark's and Lois' relationship; especially the part where Lois won't let herself care about Clark (yet) but Mayson genuinely does. Very interesting perspective to ponder.

I would like to understand Mayson's feelings about/toward Superman as well, and how Clark came to the conclusion that Mayson/Superman would be impossible.

I found a lot more food for thought than I ever expected here. You've done an outstanding job with this piece. Keep up the good work.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like Onaleia said, this chapter offers so much food for thought. I am, obviously, one of those who absolutely don't want to see Clark and Mayson together, but after reading this, I found my mind churning with a million questions:

Does Clark normally meet his male sources over lunch or dinner to discuss cases? If not, what does it mean that he wants to meet Mayson this way?

Is Clark only being an old-fashioned gentleman? Is he being polite to Mayson as a woman? Is he somehow assuming that a woman wants to be shown little courtesies, such as being treated to lunch?

Is Clark serious about wanting to have Mayson as a friend? If so, what does he think this friendship will imply?

Could it be that Clark just finds it relaxing and gratifying to spend time with a smart and beautiful woman who likes him as Clark Kent? Or does he truly appreciate her as a person? Does he like her integrity and drive?

Or is it even possible that he could actually be dreaming of more than that? Could he possibly be thinking of a future for himself and Mayson? Or could he be dreaming of a little flirt, a little fling with her?

But has he asked himself what any of this would do to Mayson? She and Clark are both singles. With his super-senses, he should be able to tell that Mayson seems to become physically affected around him. Shouldn't he be able to guess that she is in love with him?

Hasn't he thought that he may be hurting her? Treating her inconsiderately?

But then again... Mayson is a DA. Clark really does need to talk to her from time to time. Is it his fault that she is in love with him? Should he avoid seeing her just because of her feelings for him? How considerate does he have to be?

And... Clark is not a saint. What if he is, on some level at least, slightly interested in Mayson? Perhaps he isn't quite sure that he and Lois are meant to be? (Okay, Clark, if it's up to me, you'd better be sure of that, but....) Would that make it so wrong to spend some time with Mayson, trying to explore what they could possibly have together?

Let's toy with the idea that Clark is so grateful to Mayson for liking him as Clark that he decides that a relationship with her would be worth it. Of course, Mayson doesn't like Superman. But then again, given time, maybe she'd get over her suspicions of Superman? But if she doesn't - seeing how Clark lied to Lois about his double identity for two years, would he be similarly willing to lie to Mayson?

Could Clark possibly court Mayson without telling her he is Superman? Could he marry her without telling her about Superman? Could he make love to her without telling her?

Suppose he married Mayson while pretending he was just plain old Clark Kent. And suppose Mayson decided that she wanted children, so that she stopped using birth control. And suppose she got pregnant with Superman's child. What would she say when she found out?

Hmm.... Interesting questions, these. Well, I hope no one decides to write the story where Mayson really does marry Clark and has his child, so that we can find out what her reactions to the true paternity of her child would be!

As I said, I hope nobody will write that story. Does that mean that I don't like this story, either? Don't take it like that. The Clark/Mayson relationship, whatever there was to it, was definitely a part of the ABC TV show. And, God knows, it's not as if Clark has never looked at another woman in the comics. Your story is not only legitimate, but it is exploring some extremely interesting aspects of Clark Kent (forgive me for being slightly less interested in the Mayson angle). I'm so curious about whether you will answer any of the questions I have posed here, Angelic!

Ann

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Oh tish,tish. Ms Drake is a brazen little surfer. There are "Lois Lane's private property. Keep Out" signs hanging all over Mr. Kent that she chose to ignore. So she trespasses and gets her feelings hurt.Maybe you cant help who you fall in love with, but you can help what you do about it. So...In your dreams, Blondie. In your dreams.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great story but I just cannot do Clark and Mayson together. peep

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh! Forever unrequited, Miss Drake continues to go after her dream-man. She knows that Clark's smitten with Lois, but, as Clark is to her, Lois is oblivious.

WOE!!

Another great piece.

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I don't think Clark was all that oblivious in the way Mayson was to his feelings for her unless of course the implication of a weekend in the cabin she mentioned 'The Eyes Have It' completely escaped him.

There are "Lois Lane's private property. Keep Out" signs hanging all over Mr. Kent that she chose to ignore.
I agree! Maybe Lois doesn't let it be known that she cares for Clark at least in the presence of others, but Clark knows that Lois cares for him and if Mayson really cared for him she'd shouldn't have pursued him the way she did and accept the fact that Clark's heart belongs to Lois. I really hate the fact that she cut in on Clark and Lois' dance in CoM, but I really liked how Lois stepped aside for Mayson even though Clark was reluctant to dance with Mayson.

Back to the topic though and I really like your story I think your really providing insight into Mayson and I'd really like to see what makes her so anti-Superman. However, for me it's Lois and Clark and not Mayson and Clark.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great piece. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Again, I have to say I'm blown away by the feedback here — you guys are amazing. Thank you for reading, and for all your comments. As I've said in a previous response to feedback, I know we're all here to read about Clark and Lois. There won't be much of a reciprocation from Clark, if any. Our two beloved intrepid reporters belong together, and I never intend to mess with that; I've just always been so drawn to Mayson and the whole unrequited love theme.

Onaleia, thank you for your kind words — I'm delighted you've found more in this story than you expected! When I first started writing it, I thought it was a one-off and there'd be nothing else to explore. Was I ever wrong. And, I do plan on tying in an explanation for Mayon's dislike of Superman in the next chapter! smile1

Ann, as usual, your in-depth FDK just leaves me amazed. The nuances you catch and the things you infer ... oh, wow. A lot of your questions hadn't even *consciously* crossed my mind, and then I go back and read my story and realize, !!! Ann's read so much more into that than I ever intended on the surface — she's seen layers where I hadn't even thought they existed! So then, naturally, I have to try and answer said questions in the next chapter! Seriously, Ann, thank you. Oh, and you don't have to worry about the whole Mayson-gets-pregnant storyline, at least from me. I'm more than happy to leave Lois and Clark to their happiness, and Mayson forever lingering in an angst-filled kind of half-existence, forever lovelorn. Which is admittedly mean, because I do love her as a character, but still. She and Clark just aren't meant to be.

SJH, thanks for reading, and for your comments. You're right — Clark and Lois are together (well, eventually, anyway, if not in this immediate storyline). So any potential relationship with Clark is definitely only in Mayson's dreams.

Shelia, thanks for reading! And no worries — I can't do a story where Lois and Clark aren't ultimately together, either. I just wanted to take Mayson's character to a different place than we've normally seen her.

Catherine, thank you so much for your comments! I'm so glad you're enjoying this. (I'm such a huge sucker for the woe factor, too!)

Crazy_Babe, thanks for the comments and your kind words! And yes, for me, it's definitely about Clark and Lois, not Clark and Mayson. I'm still brainstorming a bit, but I think Lois will be incorporated much more in future posts. Also, hopefully the next chapter will shine some light on Mayson's hostility toward Superman.

Maria, thank you for reading, even though you're not a fan of Mayson's! I appreciate the lovely feedback and your patience with this story. smile

Again, I hope I'm not sounding like the proverbial broken record when I say thank you all for reading, and for all your comments. It's what makes posting on these boards so fulfilling and inspiring.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard