They say that all good things must come to an end. But... Well, since this isn’t a good thing (in fact, it’s a galactically stupid thing), I figure it can go on for a little while longer.

This is a fanfic based on the television show, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. No copyright infringement is intended. I’m borrowing these characters for a little fun and not for any profit. For a complete disclaimer, go to: http://www.thompsonlawoffice.ca/Disclaimer.htm

Galactically Stupid - Part Five
By: ML Thompson
March 2006

Lois and Clark walked hand in hand through the park, heading, without any real thought, towards the fountain.

“Sometimes,” Clark said, “you think you’re immortal. And you start to think the people around you are, too. It just takes a second to realize how wrong you are about everything.” He stopped, directing her to take a seat on the edge of the fountain. “What I’m trying to say is,” he said when she was finally seated, “I almost lost you, Lois, and I’m... ashamed.”

“Ashamed? Why?”

“I kept pushing you away - even when I promised to stop. And if you died not knowing why, I’d never be able to forgive myself. Because I love you, Lois, and...”

Thunder cracked overhead and lightning lit up the darkened sky. The universe took that moment to open up and rain began coming down.

“Oh, come on, give me a break!” Clark yelled at the heavens.

“Do you want to go back?”

“If the Earth opened up at my feet, I wouldn’t move ‘til I’d finished saying this...” He took a deep breath. “Lois...” He dropped to one knee in front of her, pulling a small velvet box from his pocket and opening it. “...will you marry me?”

She stared at the ring for a long moment before looking back at him. She leaned forward, almost as if she would kiss him. Her lips only inches from his. Then she pulled back. “My god, Clark! I can’t believe you.”

“Lois?”

“Okay,” she continued, rising to her feet to begin pacing in the rain. “Maybe I did jump the gun a little bit in figuring out that you were Superman. But really, Clark, you left it too long! Asking me to marry you before telling me about Superman?”

He stared at her in stunned disbelief. “Lois, I...”

“Oh, come on, Clark. You know that I know. But you still had to tell me. That was the way the script goes, isn’t it?”

“Actually, according to the script, I ask you to marry me and you answer: ‘Who’s asking? Clark... or Superman?’”

“That’s not the point!”

“So I take it you’re mad?”

“Mad doesn’t even begin to cover it, Clark. I...”

“You’re still going to follow the script though?”

“Why should I? Why not just tell everyone that I’ve known all along? Prove that I’m not galactically stupid. I’m not sure why I played along this long.”

“Lois, you can’t!”

“Just watch me, Clark!”

“No, I mean... the love story. The triangle. If people know you knew from the beginning, there will be no unique love triangle.”

She opened her mouth before closing it again. He was right. And if she did this... She was so close to getting what she wanted. She looked at him; even soaking wet, he was easily the most gorgeous man she’d ever seen. And soon now... Oh, yeah. She might be furious with him at the moment, but... if playing this by the rules just a little while longer would get her what she wanted... Fine. Besides, even going by the script, she got to make him pay for proposing before telling her about Superman. So really... was she really giving anything up? “Okay, we’ll play this your way. So... who’s asking? Clark... or Superman?”

The End

By the way, did I mention that this is a deleted scene from And The Answer Is...?

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane