You know how it is. Sometimes you get stupid and just can’t snap out of it. As a result, I dedicate this story to my stupidity. (By the way, you really won’t understand this story if you haven’t read the first two)

This is a fanfic based on the television show, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. No copyright infringement is intended. I’m borrowing these characters for a little fun and not for any profit. For a complete disclaimer, go to: http://www.thompsonlawoffice.ca/Disclaimer.htm

Galactically Stupid - Part Three
By: ML Thompson
March 2006

Lex and Clark moved in on each other, eyes locked, looking like two stags, circling each other as they waited to attack. Lois watched, wondering if she should put herself between them before things got seriously out of control. They had to find a way to defeat the terrorists now holding them hostage at the Daily Planet. And that wasn’t going to happen if they spent their time fighting one another.

After all, half of their fight was over her. She knew that. And it wasn’t as if she minded. Driving Clark up the wall was half the reason she was dating Lex. If he wasn’t so stubborn, insisting that they do things ‘by the rules,’ they could have gotten together months ago. But ‘that wasn’t the way things were supposed to go.’ How many times had she heard that now? Okay, so maybe only twice. But it was two times too many. So now he could just suffer - wondering what her feelings for Lex really were.

“Then what do you suggest, Mr. Kent?” Luthor asked. “That we just sit here, let them do whatever they want. Then wait for them to kill us?”

“I have no choice! If I try to get to the bomb, one of the others might kill any one of you. And if that’s a hair trigger under his finger, it could go off faster than I could stop it. I can’t take that risk.”

Lois’ eyebrows rose as she stared at Clark. In her peripheral vision, she could tell that everyone else was looking as stunned as she. Oh, she knew of course what her next line was supposed to be. But try as she might, she couldn’t quite bring herself to say it. Regardless of the eventual payoff, she couldn’t quite bring herself to look that galactically stupid.

“Clark, take it easy,” Perry said when she didn’t respond. “You’re not Superman.”

“I know, but even...”

“Oh for crying out loud,” Lois interrupted. “Look at him!” She turned towards the others in the room. “Are you all galactically stupid? Now, I could understand Jimmy not figuring it out or Jack here, but, Chief... You’re the editor of the world’s greatest paper. How is it that you don’t know? Think about the number of story meetings he’s suddenly disappeared from. How is it that you didn’t notice? And you, Lex... How is it that you haven’t figured it out?”

“Loisss,” Clark hissed behind her.

But she was on a roll now. “Come on, Lex. You’ve been looking for a way to destroy Superman since he first came on the scene. And yet it never once occurred to you to wonder what Superman did when he wasn’t wearing the suit?”

“Well, after I saw the messages from the globe... I did sort of wonder.”

“And it never occurred to you to look right under your nose?”

“He does sort of look like Superman,” Perry said.

“Yeah, but...” Lex began, examining Kent closely.

“Hey, I’m not Superman,” Clark objected, giving Lois a look that instantly silenced her. “It’s just...” He fiddled with his glasses. “A passing resemblance, maybe. A thing I do at parties.”

“Yeah, that makes sense,” Lex said.

“Don’t worry, son,” Perry added. “We didn’t really believe you were Superman. So...” He looked at the others. “How do we get out of here?”

Lois shook her head as she watched them continue to cling to their denial. She’d done everything she could do to prove her point. If they were too galactically stupid to see, that wasn’t her fault.

She looked back at Clark who was giving her an amused grin, and rolled her eyes. Some days things just seemed so weird.

The End

By the way, did I mention that this is a deleted scene from Fly Hard?

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane