Moving toward the theatrical climax!!!! Thanks again to so many people who continually provide support, especially my incredible BR, Laswa.

From Part 18

“But not before this,” Clark told her and turned her around. He pulled her toward him and captured her lips in a quick kiss. “Thank you,” he whispered and kissed her again. He gently pushed her through the door and closed it.

Lois leaned against the back flat after she exited the door. She took a deep breath and then reached up and touched her lips. The brief kisses had only left her wanting more. She closed her eyes. When she opened them, Richard was standing there looking at her.

Now for Part 19

Smallville, Kansas
Friday,
February 25, 1994
10:25 p.m. CST

Martha Kent, sitting at the back of the auditorium, laughed loudly along with the rest of the audience as Mr. Witherspoon/Perry paused at the foot of the stairs, considered “charging the blockhouse”, shook his head slowly and then walked sedately up the stairs toward Teddy/Donald Botts’ room.

The director was pleased with Perry’s handling of the scene. She had been so right to ask Beatrice for her help in order to coerce the Principal into joining the cast.

The four other actors on stage looked away from the stairs and then back to each other.

Aunt Martha/Miss Libby: Well, Mortimer, now that we’re moving, this house really is yours.

Aunt Abby/Beatrice: Yes dear, we want you to live here now.

Mortimer/Clark: No, Aunt Abby, this house is too full of memories.

Aunt Martha/Miss Libby: But you’ll need a home when you and Elaine are married.

Mortimer/Clark: Darlings, that’s very indefinite.

Elaine/Lois: [Rises and crosses to the left of Mortimer/Clark.] It’s nothing of the kind--we’re going to be married right away.

Lois put her hand on Clark’s arm as directed by Martha and gazed sweetly up at him. She had been playing with Clark, torturing him and teasing him all evening. The character of Elaine had allowed her to do that. But for every step forward she took, she would take another step--step and a half back, pulling away from him, hurting him.

Lois noticed a glint of pain beneath his usually warm and inviting brown eyes. How had they let this happen to them? Was there a chance that he...that they...? <Concentrate!> she practically yelled at herself. You simply can’t let him hurt you again. You’re in charge now. Toy with him--but don’t let him get to you, don’t let him make you want him.

Aunt Abby/Beatrice: Mortimer--Mortimer, we’re really very worried about something.

Clark tore his eyes away from Lois’ and took a couple of steps away from her toward “the aunts.”

Mortimer/Clark: Now darlings, you’re going to love it at Happy Dale.

Aunt Martha/Miss Libby: Oh, yes, we’re very happy about the whole thing. That’s just it--we don’t want anything to go wrong.

Miss Abby/Beatrice: Will they investigate those signatures?

Mortimer/Clark: Don’t worry, they’re not going to look up Dr. Einstein.

Aunt Martha/Miss Libby: It’s not his signature, dear, it’s yours.

Miss Abby/Beatrice: You see, you signed as next of kin.

Mortimer/Clark: Of course. Why not?

Aunt Martha/Miss Libby: Well, dear, it’s something we never wanted to tell you. But now you’re a man--and it’s something Elaine should know too. You see, dear--you’re not really a Brewster.

[Mortimer/Clark stares at the aunts as does Elaine/Lois.]

Aunt Abby/Beatrice: Your mother came to us as a cook--and you were born about three months afterward. But she was such a sweet woman--and such a good cook we didn’t want to lose her--so brother married her.

Mortimer/Clark: I’m--not--really--a--Brewster?

Aunt Martha/Miss Libby: Now, don’t feel bad about it, dear.

Aunt Abby/Beatrice: And Elaine, it won’t make any difference to you?

Mortimer/Clark: [Turning slowly to face Elaine/Lois, his voice rising.] Elaine! Did you hear? Do you understand? I’m a bastard!

[Elaine/Lois leaps into his arms, and as redirected by Martha during their last rehearsal, kisses him. The two aunts watch them as they kiss, glancing at each other now and then.]

Clark’s kiss was supposed to be simple, sweet and brief; but as soon as Lois’ lips touched his, he was swept away. All evening she had been taunting him, seducing him--yet keeping him just out of reach. The kisses had been great, but he desperately needed more. He quickly raised his hand, cupped the side of her face and deepened the kiss.

Lois knew she should pull back once again, but she couldn’t. She sighed urgently into his warm, inviting kiss and instantly and completely matched his ardor, causing the aunts to look at each other.

Lois had missed him--his touch, his scent, his taste. All of her senses grabbed hold of the moment and hung on for dear life. This time it wasn’t a dream and she needed this. She needed him. Lois had been living a cold, vacuous existence. There was no life without him there, wanting her, loving her.

Clark loved and needed her so much. Holding her in his arms like this made him complete. He had, all of his life, constantly grappled with thoughts of a far distant planet and of a people he never knew. Why was he sent here? What was his destiny? It was Lois who pointed him toward the answers to those questions. It was Lois who made him realize who he was and how he could make a difference.

Libby started to say her next line, which would have interrupted them, but Beatrice’s hand came up to stop her. Miss Libby smiled at Beatrice and nodded. After a few more seconds of allowing them to kiss, “Aunt Martha” sighed and said her line.

Aunt Martha/Miss Libby: Well, now I really must see about breakfast.

As Lois didn’t respond with her following line, Miss Libby coughed and ad-libbed.

“Mortimer...uh...Elaine? We hate to interrupt, but...but....”

Lois and Clark didn’t seem to know where they were. The play was just a fantasy, the play was unreal. It wasn’t 1938 and they weren’t in a Victorian house owned by two charming innocent ladies who populate their cellar with the remains of lonely old roomers. There wasn’t a brother who looked like Frankenstein or another brother who thought he was Teddy Roosevelt. There wasn’t a Richard and there wasn’t a Veronica. The only real thing was the two of them hungrily devouring each other.

Out in the audience, the Smallville Players’ director smiled to herself. Normally she abhorred it when actors took it upon themselves to adlib unless another actor had gone up on their lines or hadn’t arrived for their entrance. But during this evening’s performance, adlibbing had been the rule rather than the exception. It had been needed to cover for each other and she *had* been grateful to Lois for helping out when Clark wasn’t there. She should be angry at their changing everything when it wasn’t necessary.

And yet this time, once again, Martha Kent inwardly applauded the adlibbing and thanked the two older women for giving Clark and Lois the chance to see that they really loved each other and that nothing should interfere with that love. They were too young to realize how quickly the years go by, how precious time is and how important having someone to share that time becomes.

Martha watched the two older women move about the stage and her face saddened. She was so grateful for Jonathan, Clark and her life. Libby was facing death and Beatrice was facing life alone. No one should be wasting the precious moments given them, least of all Lois and Clark who were meant for each other. No one should look back at a life of regret, a life of what ifs.

The director of the Smallville Players thought back on her life--no regrets, none-- not really. She had taken a little time to accept Jonathan’s proposal of marriage, but that was definitely the right choice as had been taking home that bundle they had found in Shuster’s field--the baby wrapped in a blue blanket that had become their joy. She sometimes believed that her inability to have her own child, provided her with the opportunity to be there for Clark. Now it was Lois’ turn. Clark had only to make it happen.

On stage, Lois and Clark had pulled apart as Libby’s urging finally got through to the two younger actors.

As the unreal world of the stage became real again, Lois grasped the inconsistency of the moment. Clark obviously desired her but he didn’t want her. He needed her to share his life but not be part of it. He wanted to hold her close but needed her to keep her distance.

“I really do need to see about breakfast, Elaine,” Miss Libby repeated, as Lois stared blankly at Clark.

Lois realizing that it was her line and that she needed to get back into character, took Clark’s hand once more and turned to Miss Libby.

Elaine/Lois: [Leading Mortimer to the door at the right side of the stage and opening it.] Mortimer’s coming over to my house. Father’s gone to Philadelphia, and Mortimer and I are going to have breakfast together.

Mortimer/Clark: Yes, I need some coffee--I’ve had quite a night.

Aunt Abby/Beatrice: In that case I should think you’d want to get to bed.

Mortimer/Clark: [With a sidelong glance at Elaine/Lois.] I do.

Lois and Clark exited off stage with Clark’s arm around Lois’ waist as originally blocked. On stage the two aunts smiled as they saw Elaine and Mortimer leave and then turned to see Richard in the part of Jonathan Brewster pulled from the kitchen back into the living room, the police officers at his side. While Richard finished delivering his final lines, Clark turned Lois around.

“Lois, I...,” he whispered and cupped her cheek once again.

“No,” she said softly and put her hands up on his chest to push him away.

“No?” Clark asked, whispering again. He stared at her, not wanting her to move him away, to shut him out again. He closed his eyes and pleaded silently that the last two and a half weeks hadn’t happened. He would give anything if he hadn’t broken their engagement just to safeguard her. His over-protectiveness and righteousness had finally gotten in the way. Why couldn’t he have trusted that Lois and he could conquer anything--that they would be there for each other? He opened his eyes as Lois retreated out of his embrace.

“Clark,” she said, pulling him toward the dressing room area and watching behind him for Richard’s final exit. “I’m sorry about that kiss on stage. I know that I started it--that I began teasing you during the whole show. I...I don’t know why I let it happen,” she told him, walking toward the dressing room door. “I guess I needed to get back at you,” she said turning once more to face him. “Because remember it was *you* who broke up with me--you who hurt me.”

“I know, but I need to be with you,” Clark interjected quickly, fearfully knowing where this conversation was leading. He began to cross toward her.

“Until the next time you decide to break my heart for my own good,” Lois responded, tears in her eyes, as he once more stood so close to her, his dark eyes searching hers. She closed her eyes and then mustering up all of her courage, looked up at him, the tears no longer there. Instead, there was a sense of resolve, a sense of purpose.

She breathed a deep sigh. “I survived it this time,” she said emphatically. “I don’t think I would again,” she added, turning her eyes back to the stage.

“And Richard?” he asked.

“Richard...I don’t know. He says he’s in love with me.”

“Lois, I have to tell you. Richard is...”

“I don’t care if Richard is...is the monster he is portraying on stage. I’m not running *to* him, I’m running *away* from you. Maybe you *do* love me, but love doesn’t mean you can define me. I define me.”

“Lois, I’m completely in lo...”

“No! Don’t!”

“Don’t what?” Richard asked, coming up to the two of them.

“Don’t...don’t move. We have to line up for curtain call,” Lois responded taking Richard’s hand and guiding him to their spots on stage right where Clark’s father and Keith were already waiting in position.

Clark leaned against the door of the dressing room, his eyes to the heavens. He took a deep breath. He had to regain his composure, as he was the designated person to give the curtain speech--a very important speech that he and his mother had worked on carefully.

Donald Botts, Jimmy, Wayne Irig, Dan and Dr. Mock came from the dressing room and moved to stage left. Clark took another deep breath and joined them.

The actors on both sides watched as the concluding lines were spoken.

Mr. Witherspoon/Perry: You don’t see much elderberry wine nowadays--I thought I’d had my last glass of it.

Aunt Abby/Beatrice: Oh, no----

Aunt Martha/Miss Libby [Handing him a glass of wine.] No, have some of this.

[Mr. Witherspoon/Perry toasts the ladies and lifts the glass to his lips, but the curtain falls before he sips.]

The audience applauded loudly as behind the curtain, Perry and Miss Libby moved to join those off stage right while Beatrice came to stand beside Clark behind the proscenium.

“We did it,” Beatrice said attempting a smile as tears welled up in her eyes. “Thank you so much, Clark.”

Clark leaned down and gave Beatrice a kiss on the cheek.

The curtain opened again as Jimmy, Dr. Mock, and Dan entered from stage left while Keith, Perry and Jonathan Kent entered from stage right. When they met in the middle they all bowed and took a step back.

Donald Botts and Wayne Irig walked in from stage left as Richard came from stage right to stand between them. Donald and Wayne bowed and then Richard bowed, applause swelling proportionately.

Lois entered from stage right and Clark moved to meet her center stage. He took her hand and they walked forward and bowed, as the audience acknowledged their performances warmly.

Beatrice and Libby walked on stage amidst increased applause and joining hands moved forward for a final bow. They separated and Clark walked up to stand between them as Lois moved back to join Richard, taking his hand.

Clark raised his arms to quiet the audience down. He waited politely and looking over to where his mother would be standing, nodded and then began to speak. “We want to thank all of you for your applause,” he said smiling and then looked out at all their friends and neighbors with a more somber look.

“This year our community of Smallville and especially our theatre group has suffered the loss of some very special people,” he paused. “We want to dedicate our performances to them.”

The audience applauded graciously.

“The Smallville Players,” Clark continued, “has been the recipient of a magnanimous donation--an incredibly generous amount that we have decided to donate to the Aids Clinic in the name of our departed friends, Bill Saxon, Barb Friskin and Mayson Drake,” he said squeezing Beatrice’s hand.

Richard stiffened as he began to realize the enormity of what was about to happen. They were all imbeciles. Imagine giving away $100,000. They were a struggling group --a small community theatre in a small town--and they gave away $100,000. Ludicrous!

Lois noticed the change in Richard’s posture. She dropped his hand and stared at him. He appeared disconcerted by the announcement. Well, it was a surprise to her as well, but a nice one. The look on Richard’s face was repellent. But chalking it up to it being the monstrous make-up still masking what must be Richard’s true feelings, Lois relaxed a bit and realized that he just couldn’t be upset by the Players’ wonderful gesture.

Lex Luthor shook off the incredulousness he harbored for these back woods dolts and attempted to get back into character. Richard Thurston would be sympathetic, bolstering, and shouting the praises of such a colossal, albeit moronic, overture of goodness.

Richard took Lois’ hand once again and smiled at her. “Wonderful inspiration,” he whispered to her, and leaned down to kiss the top of her head.

“The Aids Clinic is just really getting underway and has somehow lost most of its funding source,” Clark went on. “So, we have decided to take it on as an ongoing charity. The Aids Clinic will be renamed Cherry Orchard Clinic and three cherry trees will be planted in memory of our three friends,” he explained, looking over at Beatrice who, once again, had tears in her eyes.

Lois watched Clark as he spoke. Her eyes also glistened with tears as she heard Clark’s words and felt his commitment. He was an incredible man and she was reminded of the respect and admiration she had for him.

She looked back at Richard. Comparing the two had begun to be an ongoing occupation. But how could she compare them? Clark was Superman. No! That wasn’t the point. She had long ago given up thinking of Superman *as* a man. He was an idea, a hope, a guardian to us all. Clark was the man--an extraordinary man, even if he never was a Superman. He was kind, intelligent, gentle, strong, compassionate--obstinate, stubborn, bull-headed, contumacious and every other synonym she could possibly think of--after all she was an English teacher. Oh! And one more! Of course, the word that seemed to describe him perfectly -- Lunkhead!!!!

“But our donation is only a start,” Clark continued. “The Clinic needs more. So, we are asking all of you to help us. Coming down the aisles on your left is Catherine Grant and Cindy Brady, both members of the Smallville Players and on your right is Sarah Goodwin, the new High School Counselor and Psychological Consultant to the Aids Clinic. With her is Dr. Bernard Klein, Medical Consultant to the Clinic. They are carrying buckets that will be passed out among you, so please, everyone,” Clark said, radiating that wonderful smile of his, “dig down deep and be as generous as I know all of you are. Again the cast and crew thank you for being here and for supporting us.”

The cast walked off the stage amidst loud applause. Clark watched Lois and Richard move away together as pain gripped his stomach. He had only felt pain like this once before, when he had been exposed to Kryptonite. <So that’s what heartache feels like> he mused bitterly.

In the woman’s dressing room, Lois finished removing her make-up. She had a few minutes as it would take Richard quite some time to remove his. Lois gathered the many flowers that were on the table that were addressed to her. She had roses from Perry, Jimmy, Beatrice and Libby and a very sweet bouquet from Jonathan Kent. There was also a small box with a note attached. “To Elaine from M,” the envelope read and Lois smiled. Martha was just so wonderful. Always very appreciative of the work that the cast put into a play. She invariably presented each actor with a gift commemorating the show in some way--perhaps inside the box was a lace handkerchief or a small jar of elderberry preserves.

Lois went over to hug Beatrice and Libby, and then left the dressing room. Beatrice scurried out after her. “Lois,” Beatrice began. “I’m so glad you supported me and that we went on with the play. Thank you for doing that for me.”

“You’re welcome,” Lois said, giving her another hug.

“I want to do something for you,” Beatrice told her.

“You don’t have to.”

“I do!” Beatrice exclaimed

“Remember on stage, when I quoted Thoreau?” she asked Lois.

“Yes. I do.”

“I know you are a fan of his words and so am I. Listen to his words, Lois,” Beatrice implored. “He said: ‘Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.’ Wake up Lois. You know what your dreams are!”

“Lois,” a determined voice called out. “We have to go.”

Lois shook her head. “I can’t, Beatrice,” Lois told her and turned to walk out with Richard.

Back in the dressing room, Libby Barton felt the pain shoot through her. She reached for her bag and taking out a small vial of pills, quickly swallowed two. The pills were having less and less an affect on the deep down center of the pain, but still helped to take some of the edge off. Libby realized that the end was drawing nearer and that it wouldn’t be pleasant. She took a deep breath and willed herself to deal with the pain. There were things that were left unfinished. Not just the second night of the play, but...

“Are you all right, Miss Libby?” Cindy asked as she came into the dressing room to put away the make-up things and to hurry and catch up with Keith and some of their other friends.

“Yes, Cindy. I’m just a little tired. See you tomorrow.”

Cindy closed the make up kits and returned them to their cupboards. “See you tomorrow,” she echoed.

The well-wishers, family and friends of the various cast members had taken their respective actors out to celebrate and Martha waved them all off, congratulating them. She smiled as she saw Libby and Beatrice leave together. It was nice that they could lean on each other during what, for them, must be a trying time.

Martha looked over at Jonathan Kent as he was adjusting levers on the light board, closing everything down. She sighed. Jonathan was a wonderful husband--supporting her, nurturing her, loving her. She turned and saw her son standing alone.

It can’t be this way. Clark deserved more than this. Most of his life he gave to everyone, helped everyone. She had feared that he would wind up alone, but the moment she met Lois, she knew otherwise. It would be otherwise, if she had to move heaven and earth it would!

Out in the parking lot, several of the actors were congratulating each other again and making plans for after the show.

“Miss Lane!” Keith called out. “Why don’t you and Mr. Thurston join us?”

“No!” Richard said sharply. “We have plans,” he explained, toning his voice down a bit as he saw Lois’ reaction. Richard took her arm gently and escorted her toward his car.

“*We’ll* come with you,” a shrill voice yelled out, as Veronica Kipling ran over to the group.”

Lois turned to see Veronica clinging not on Clark’s arm, but on Dan Scardino’s.

“Danny and I would *love* to come with you. Wouldn’t we Danny?”

“Aren’t you here with Clark?” Jimmy asked joining the circle of actors, with his date, Sarah Goodwin.

“No,” Veronica responded petulantly. “He said he had to do something with his mother. I didn’t realize he was that kind.”

Richard opened the car door as Lois continued to be distracted by what the group was saying. “Lois?” Richard asked. “I do have a reservation at Pompeii’s.”

“Can you just take me home, Richard. I’m really tired.”

Martha walked over to Clark who was leaning against the back of the proscenium. She reached up to stroke her son’s face. “You look tired and we have an incredibly busy day tomorrow,” she told her son. “And remember, we’re planning a very early start. I know you don’t need much rest, but tonight you should at least try to...”

“I’ve really lost her, mom. And it’s my fault. All my life I’ve lived with not knowing where I’m from. But without Lois, I don’t know where I’m going.”

“Clark. From the day I first held you in my arms, I knew where you were going and what you were going to be. And the day I first met Lois, I knew that she was going to be a very important part of your life. Trust in yourself and most of all trust in her.”

Smallville, Kansas
Wednesday,
May 18, 1966
10:30 p.m. CST

“Well, Martha?” Jonathan asked? “I guess we’ve finally got what we always prayed for.”

“He’s beautiful,” Martha said, holding the sleeping infant in her arms.

The baby stirred, opened his big brown eyes and looked up at his new parents.

“Clark Jerome Kent,” his mother said softly.

“We’re not sure where he came from,” Jonathan told his wife as he reached out with his finger and watched his son grab on to it and smile up at him. “But one thing I do know. He’s going to be loved, and he will be something incredibly special, just because *you* are his mother.”

Smallville, Kansas
Friday,
February 25, 1994
11:10 p.m. CST

Lois watched Richard drive away. She took a deep breath and shut the front door. She took off her coat, throwing it on the back of the couch, grabbed a vase from the kitchen counter and arranged the roses and wildflowers. She carried them to her dining room table and placed them there. She picked up her coat to hang it up in the closet, and felt the box she had placed there on her way out of the theatre.

She took the small box out of her coat pocket and looked at the envelope attached. ‘To Elaine from M.’. Lois opened the note. ‘Things do not change, we change--Henry David Thoreau’, the note read.

Lois opened the box. Inside was a beautifully simple charm bracelet. The charms dangling from the silver link chain were a schoolhouse, a book with the letters HDT engraved on it, an ear of Kansas corn, the initial ‘L’, and the masks of comedy and tragedy.

Martha could really be so kind, Lois appreciated. Each charm individually selected were so representative of Lois’ life here in Smallville. The last two charms, however, were puzzling. They were a hay wagon and a small piece of pink quartz rock. She, of course, understood them--but Martha?

Lois looked at the note again. ‘To Elaine from M.’ she read one more time. Oh...oh...of course, Mortimer, she realized, not Martha. The gift was from Clark. Now it made all the sense in the world. Only Clark would... Lois held the bracelet delicately in her hand. Her other hand went up to her neck to feel the expensive diamond necklace. Lois looked at Clark’s gift and then put the bracelet down on the table.

Back stage at the Smallville High School auditorium, Martha took her son’s hand. “Have some faith, dear.”

Clark bent down and gave his mother a kiss. “I love you, mom.”

“I know,” Martha told him. “Now let’s talk tomorrow’s changes.”

Rachel Harris left the high school auditorium after the play and went straight to her office. She picked up the phone and dialed a long distance number. She realized that it would be after midnight at the other end--it would be tomorrow.

Beatrice Drake took the roses she had been given by several cast members and placed them in a vase. She carried the vase and set it in front of a picture of Mayson she had on her living room bookcase that contained most of her favorite things. “Tonight was for you,” she whispered, kissing her fingers and touching the silver framed portrait. “And tomorrow.....”

Libby Barton entered the house at 417 Maple where the ghosts of the past used to haunt her every day. Somehow, tonight, they seemed far away in some remote recesses of the past. Another stab of pain coursed through her body. She sank down on the sofa. Jinx number five jumped into her lap. <Please,> she prayed, stroking the cat. <if there is a god out there, let me get through tomorrow.>

Lex Luthor smiled as entered his bedroom. From the look on Clark Kent’s face when he and Lois had departed, Luthor had won that battle--but there was more of the war to come.

Jaxon Luthor watched his father close his bedroom door and he looked at his watch. Twenty-four more hours and Lex Luthor alias Richard Thurston will take his final bow. Now if he could just wait until tomorrow.

‘...we change’, the note had read. Both of Lois’ hands went around her neck where she unclasped the necklace and set it on the table next to the bracelet. Eyeing both of them, she gently picked up Clark’s gift, his perfect gift and put in around her wrist. She touched the pink quartz and looked back at the necklace on the table. What should she do? “Tomorrow, I’ll decide tomorrow.”

tbc.