Warning: In this story Clark Kent/Superman has been missing presumed
dead for ten years. Not seen again after the Nightfall Asteroid
incident.
-------------------------------------------
aftermath 3/?

from part 1
Centennial Park, 2004, Late afternoon

"That scum", it wouldn't have seemed possible but Lane's' tone was colder than before. Rachel seemed taken aback. "Scum?" "Aah not a word I would associate with Clark Kent".
--------------------------------------------------------------

Lois licked her dry lips, and cleared her throat "You grew up with Clark Kent?"

Rachel nodded, "I was born and raised in Smallville, I can safely say the only people who knew him better than I would be his parents."

They were interrupted by the arrival of the boy Lois had waved at.

"Problem Mom? I thought we had till 5:00?"

Lane's smile at the boy lit up her entire face, "No problem, but my discussion with Rachel might distract me a bit, so stay in sight and make sure you have my attention if you need to go anywhere."

"OK" and he shot off the way he came. From his reaction it was clearly a routine warning.

Lois sat back down and gestured for Rachel to do the same. "So Agent Harris, did your good friend Clark ask you to feel out the lay of the land? Or do you have another agenda?"

Rachel Harris sat down while staring at Lois Lane. <How could she not know? I knew the very first time I saw Superman on the news, how was it that this woman, who had given birth to his son could not know that Clark Kent was Superman?>

<I can't believe Clark would have sex with her without telling her about himself>

Aloud "Ms. Lane, I'm having trouble reconciling the Clark Kent I knew with the quote "scum" unquote you knew."

A lopsided smile and a large sigh, "I know, doesn't sound like the big boyscout I knew either"

"I didn't blame him for running the first couple of years, but ten years, ten years! You'd think at some point he'd at least be willing to see him. Jon is his son, a boy needs to know his father. My father was never there for me but I knew it was work and that he'd wanted a son, not two daughters and anyways he finally got a grandson and he's done a much better job of being a grandfather than he ever did of being a father and what do I tell Jon about his father or his father's family or where his father is or why he left or how he feels about him. Every year it gets a little harder i don't want my son to wall himself off from the wall but the hurt in his eyes when father's day comes or the various father son events at school, you know I have all Clark's books and sooner or later Jon will see that he looks like Clark and what do I tell him? Your father can't stay in one place more than a few months and he never meant to get me pregnant if that pheromone had worn off in the morning instead of the afternoon I'd never have broken Clark and we would never have had sex and you wouldn't exist, not that I'd ever give up Jon for anything but chasing your partner around the bedroom till he gives in and has sex with you isn't quite the story you want to tell your son about his conception. Do you know I did the dance of the seven veils twice for him and he still didn't give in? Talk about self control, I mean he was sweating and clearly interested, anyone could see that but that man had iron no steel self control. Most men would have had me in bed in ten seconds or less Clark held me off for two full days and I went through several very sexy outfits and did everything I could to get him into bed and it took waking up next to him to get him to go to bed with me. So I never blamed him for freaking out when he found out I was pregnant and after all the nightfall asteroid was coming and everything was crazy and at the time maybe he believed the baby was Lex's after all I was dating the man but of course that was before we all knew that he was a criminal, a murder and and worse. Of course Clark never did like Lex and I tended to write that off to misplaced jealousy and in a way that was kind of flattering at the time but later after he'd had a few months to get used to idea I hoped Clark would want to meet his son have some part in his life but no nothing I wrote him dozens of letters just asking him to talk with me. Nothing not one reply and than he drops out of site completely clearly he changed his name to avoid me, I must have purchased every travel book on the market over the next couple of years hoping to recognize his style but no luck and..."

She stopped speaking as Rachel opened her cell phone.

"Martha, its Rachel Harris, you and Jonathan need to come to Metropolis"

Framework4