Warning: In this story Clark Kent/Superman has been missing presumed dead for ten years. Not seen again after the Nightfall Asteroid incident.
-------------------------------------------
aftermath

Centennial Park, 2004, Late afternoon

----------------------------------------------------------
She spotted her sitting on a bench watching the children at play.

"Ms.Lane?"
The brunette nodded and stood, "Agent Harris?"

"Rachel, please"

They both sat. Rachel looked around, took in the children, the noise, the swirl of people.
"Unusual place to meet Ms. Lane."

Lois half smiled "I'm a single parent, you learn to multitask. I'm not about to make my son give up time with his friends for a conversation I don't really want to have."

"Since the Nightfall expose was published I've spent more time with more Government Agents than I have with him. And I'm done humoring the Government."

"I won't name my sources and I'm not frighted by threats and reciting the "National Security" mantra won't get you anywhere. So say your bit and than leave me and mine alone!" The ice in her tone emphasized the meaning of her words.

Rachel sighed. "Ms. Lane that's not my purpose in coming to see you. I can't say I was pleased to learn that Superman didn't die a hero but the victim of some paranoids who were willing to kill hundreds of thousands of people just to insure the death of Superman. And I am puzzled by how certain you are that Superman is dead, but no I came here to talk to you about Clark Kent."

"That scum", it wouldn't have seemed possible but Lane's' tone was colder than before.

Rachel seemed taken aback. "Scum?" "Aah not a word I would associate with Clark Kent".

Lois glared at her. "Than you never knew the man. Excuse me, we're done." She stood, looked out at the children and shouted "Johnny". One of the boys waved and she gestured at him to come.

Rachel followed her gaze "No I didn't at least not the way you did clearly. Did you name your son after his grandfather?"

Lois wheeled around "What?"

Rachel laughed. "Ms Lane I grew up with Clark Kent" a snort "I want to prom with Clark Kent. Your son looks just like him at that age."

Framework4