Next Thread
Print Thread
#28289 03/08/06 02:44 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
I’d like to thank everyone who’s commented on this story, whether you liked all of it or not. I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank my beta readers (in alphabetical order) Chris, Ray, and Tricia, who gave me some excellent feedback and helped make this story what it is.

I’d also like to apologize to any of you who might have been offended by anything in this story. Please believe me when I say that being an offense to anyone was the farthest thing from my mind. I realize that one of the underlying themes of this narrative was sex, and that’s always a touchy subject to discuss when you have more than one person in a room. But it’s also a subject which many FOLCS have tackled in the past, so I really didn’t feel like I was breaking new ground.

“Oh, really? What about that kiss between Lois and Karen?” Well, I guess you have a valid point. In my defense, Lois didn’t really do any kissing in that scene. She was the kissee, not the kisser. If she’d responded to Karen’s advances, or later wished that she’d responded, that would have been a completely different kettle of fish. But she didn’t. And I don’t think that one moment of inappropriate action would destroy a budding friendship, assuming the other party agreed that the inappropriate behavior would not be repeated.

As far as my personal views on homosexuality, you would be justified in wondering what they were, given the characters of Karen and Andre. I do not believe that the gay lifestyle is a positive one, nor do I believe that it is an acceptable alternative lifestyle. But I also don’t believe in demonizing gays, or treating them as if they carry some sort of “gay virus” we straights might catch if we let them get too close to us. If I want to have an honest dialogue with a gay person about radically changing his or her lifestyle, my words won’t be heard if all I speak is condemnation. After all, nobody’s perfect.

To those of you who thought Karen should have known Lois was a reporter, the chain of events leading up to the “revelation” was intended to be a mirror to Lois learning that Clark was also Superman. Karen didn’t read Lois’s emails, she read a copy of a computerized scan of those emails which looked for key words like “Claude.” And in my own life, I’ve found that once I decide a certain thing is so, especially if I don’t bump up against it from moment to moment, it’s difficult for me to see that my first impression was mistaken. Besides, it made for some pretty interesting and intense situations when the truth finally came out.

To those of you who expressed a wish to see more of Clark, I tried to involve him, I really did! That’s why Dr. Billie Jo Parker, physicist from LSU, was introduced into the story via e-mail. I had originally intended to flip between Prometheus and the Planet newsroom, with intense investigation and personal activity going on in both places, and maybe have Billie Jo flirt with Clark a little. Her positive Cajun character would have balanced Monica’s. But Clark didn’t cooperate. He just smiled, stepped back, and said, “No, this is Lois’s story. You just focus on her this time. I’ll catch the next one.”

So this became a near-solo Lois adventure. Remember, neither Lois nor Clark will disappear into the other. They are stronger together than either one is alone, but they will still retain their individual identities despite being totally committed to each other. Lois was an award-winning investigator before Clark and before Superman, and there’s no reason to make her less than that simply because she’s in love with a really great guy.

I do find it interesting that the comments which protested the “lesbian love scene” didn’t voice any protests of Ben and Maria, or of Lana O’Meara’s casual attitude towards sex. (Doesn’t mean there weren’t any protests, just means no one wrote them down.) To my mind, Lana’s lifestyle is as inappropriate as Karen’s, and perhaps even more so because Lana attaches so little importance to it. Sex, in and of itself, isn’t evil. Our human perversions of sex, both straight and otherwise, are the evil. At least Karen isn’t into one-night stands and multiple casual partners.

I still hope you’ve enjoyed the story, at least for the most part. I don’t plan any sequels, and I certainly don’t plan to write any gay scenes for Clark. But if a gay man whom Clark respected made a pass at him, I’d hope that Clark would rebuff him gently and not reject him as a friend for one mistake.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful feedback. I treat all your comments as valid, and I assure you that I’ve read each and every one of them. I also hope that I haven’t scared anyone away from any future offerings I might post. I can’t make any rock-hard assurances, but I can tell you that the subject matter in this story won’t be a constant in my future writings.

And yes, Labrat, I’m sending it to the Archive!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, Terry, here I thought I would be commenting on the closing part of your story. And, okay, I will, so let's do that now, before I comment on what is really fascinating here, namely your own final comment and analysis of your story.

First, though, chapter 10 out of 10. "Sic transit gloria mundi" - "Så förgår denna världens härlighet" - "So ends the glory of this world"! (Well, I couldn't resist the opportunity to teach everybody a little Swedish.) All good things must end, and so Terry's fantastic story is no more. It is an ex-parrot. Fortunately it will be stuffed and preserved and kept safe, a jewel for posterity, in the Archive.

Part ten out of ten is a nice wrapup rather than a final explosion, though. Well, that's certainly fine with me. There were many things I liked, for example, Lois's rather lovely interaction with the young twin girls. I've always wanted Lois to have Clark's child or children eventually, so I like it when I see her interact with kids in a positive way. (But hey, Lois and Terry, it isn't quite true that craters can remain unchanged over time; in fact, craters get "degraded" after a number of million years, and astronomers use the sharpness of the rims, or lack of it, to judge the age of them. Certainly this decay happens more slowly on places like the moon than on the Earth, but it happens inexorably just the same. Let me quote a favorite poem of mine, "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley:

Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
stand in the desert
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies,
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of kings:
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

A statue will eventually become an ex-statue, so that the last trace of king Ozymandias disappears. But it is similarly true that eventually, inexorably, a mighty crater will also sink into the sand and disappear!

Ah, well. Me, the space buff, loved it when you had Lois and Karen watch the moon slide past the window of the shuttle Pegasus. Lois says:
"That looks so pretty."

Karen looked over her shoulder as the space shuttle slowly rotated along its longitudinal axis. "I think the Earth is prettier, especially from this angle."
Oh yes, you bet the Earth is prettier, Karen and Terry! That's one of the (few) things I envy people who get to fly on space shuttles, that they get to see the Earth from space. Wow, you know. And believe me, the more you learn about space, the more you marvel at the incredible miracle that is the planet Earth.

Ah, well. You had Lois and Karen exchange several jokes, and this time I understood all of them, which was certainly nice! "How have you been sleeping?" - "With my eyes closed." Got to remember that one. And why will the restaurant on the moon have to close down? Because the food is great, but there's just no atmosphere. I actually saw that coming, Terry! But it's no joke that Lois gets to keep the badge that Karen gave her. Go, Lois, Inspector Lane! thumbsup

And then Lois returns to Clark. Well, I guess that is one of my two complaints about this story, that you killed my favorite couple, Ben and Maria, and that there wasn't enough Lois/Clark interaction. So this passage between Lois and Clark was my favorite part of chapter ten:
He cupped her face with his hand. "I didn't get to see your hair before you left for the station. It looks nice. I like it."

"Good, because I think I'm going to keep it this length. You can't imagine how much easier it is to get ready in the morning."

"I'd like to see that sometime."

Lois checked the impulse to banter back at him and looked into his eyes.

Then she kissed him like there was no one else in the spaceport.
Okay, Terry, I'm going to take that as a promise that Clark won't have to wait too long before he can see Lois getting ready in the morning! wink

My second favorite part of this chapter must be the way Lois greets Perry and Jimmy:
She moved from Clark and hugged her rugged boss. "You old softy, you! I'm glad to see you, too." Then she embraced Jimmy. "I'm even glad to see you, you young scamp!"

"Young scamp?" Jimmy goggled at her. "Lois, are you okay?"

She pushed his shoulder playfully and chuckled. "Yes. But don't get used to it. Mad Dog Lane will be back tomorrow morning, bright and early."
This is just lovely! I love your way of writing Lois here, Terry! jump

Finally, though, Karen. I thought she went a little overboard this time, Terry. I was actually a little offended that she kissed Clark just to joke with Lois. And this has nothing to do with homosexuality or otherwise, but rather with respect, or the lack of it, for people whom you don't love or want anyway. Kisses are too serious to plaster on people whom you don't actually want to kiss, and who don't want to be kissed by you. Karen had better get her act together, now that she is going to be stationed in Germany, where people may not always appreciate her sense of humour. Here in Europe there is a joke which says that hell is a place where the English cook the food and the Germans tell the jokes.... Sorry, all you German people here, Germany is a lovely country with nice people, and Karen made a great choice when she asked to be stationed with you! So bring her up a little for me, hmm?

(Then again... maybe I'm being too prickly and sensitive here. Maybe Karen knew that Lois and Clark wouldn't be offended, and maybe she was just trying to be - what was it that you had somebody call it? - an equal opportunity lecher?)

Okay! Now on to your own comments on your story. I love it that you told us this:
To those of you who thought that Karen should have known Lois was a reporter, the chain of events leading up to the "revelation" was intended to be a mirror to Lois learning that Clark was also Superman.
Yes, of course!!! Why didn't I see that? Stupid... (insert "bash forehead icon")

I think the most important thing you said about your story, however, was this:
I realize that one of the underlying themes of this narrative was sex
Indeed it was, Terry. And maybe that was one of the things that made your story, and all your fantastic original characters, so fascinating. You managed to tell us hugely interesting things about these people's love lives, and their approach to sex and to other people, without ever actually describing people having sex. Now that you pointed that out, I'm even more impressed with your story, while at the same time I understand at least one aspect of its fascination even better. Because there are so extremely few things about us people which are so intensely personal as our approach to sex. You managed to shed such enormously fascinating light on the people of the space station by letting us see their sexual mores, habits and preferences, but you did so in a way which showed these people as humans, not as sex exhibits.

Of course, it was inevitable that you had to say something about your own general feelings about homosexuality. I loved it that you said this:
if a gay man whom Clark respected made a pass at him, I'd hope that Clark would rebuff him gently and not reject him as a friend for one mistake.
Bravo, Terry! I couldn't have put it better myself. (Which does not mean that I have any particular wish whatsoever to read a story where a gay man makes a pass at Clark. I'm here to read about Lois and Clark, not Lewis and Clark.)

This, however, is something I approve of even more:
Sex, in and of itself, isn't evil. Our human perversions of sex, both straight and otherwise, are the evil.
I couldn't agree more.

I was actually a little uncomfortable that you saw the need to tell everybody here that you are not gay. Frankly, I don't think that kind of thing is any of our business. Because if it is our business, what does that mean? As far as I can see, that means we demand the right to be not only our brother's keeper, but to be his sex inspector as well, the one who watches what he does in the bedroom so that we can punish him if we don't like what we see. I don't know about you, but I find that thought very, very scary, indeed.

Personally, I hate all kinds of sexual abuse and exploitation. I think we should always, always be very careful of people who are weaker than ourselves. We must always - always -regard children as off limits, but the same goes for other people who can't really defend themselves against us. A teacher must never touch his or her own student, not even if the student is an adult. A doctor must never touch his or her own patient. You know what I mean.

So, exploitation and abuse is always wrong. I don't much like great promiscuity either, Lana O'Meara style. But I will say this much. I will never - and I mean never - condemn a homosexual couple who live in a faithful, loving relationship. So, Terry, I was a little uncomfortable when you wrote this:
If I want to have an honest dialogue with a gay person about radically changing his or her lifestyle, my words won't be heard if all I speak is condemnation.
It seems to me that you are at least hinting that anyone who is gay should be persuaded to change his or her lifestyle. I certainly agree that those homosexuals who are extremely promiscuous should be persuaded to change their lifestyle, for all our sakes. As we have seen in the case of AIDS, such people spread venereal diseases very efficiently. I also agree that confused youngsters who try out homosexuality just out of curiosity, not out of any sort of natural need, should be dissuaded from that. But if a person is truly gay and lives a responsible life, why should we try to change him or her?

I said before that a person's sexuality is an intensely personal thing. It is also an absolutely huge part of everybody's personality. Let's not be so cruel that we condemn other people's sexuality just because it is not the same as our own. Let's be gentle with one another. Let's try not to hurt one another. And let us respect each other's humanity.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great story. drool
thumbsup That was a happy man.

After a few seconds, Karen released him and drew in a dramatic breath. As Clark struggled to keep his eyes in their sockets, she stepped back and said, “You were right, Lois. He is wonderfully delicious. Hey, if you’re not using him right now, can I borrow him for a while?”

Lois’s mouth flopped around of its own accord. “Ah – Karen, I – but you – I thought – you said you – but – “

“Oh, I did, Lois, I did say that.” Karen gave Clark a conspiratorial wink, then she grinned at Lois and nudged her with an elbow. “But for a guy this gorgeous, girlfriend, I’ll risk it.”
thumbsup

Great story, congratulation! thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Terry,

This is a nice lighthearted wrap up of a very tense story.

I did miss Clark's 'air time', but you are right, Lois was a very good investigator and award winning reporter. It's perfectly plausible that both Lois and Clark would work alone when the occasion demanded.

I have to say, I was a little taken aback by Karen kissing Clark. I wasn't upset by it, anymore than I was at her gayness, but I did find it a bit strange and felt it wasn't really needed in the story.

However, that's my only nitpick in a story which I very much enjoyed and I'm sad that it is over.

Look forward to reading more stories from you, Terry. smile

Yours Jenni

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, Terry, I got completely carried away in my first post here. So let me just thank you for this brilliant, wonderful story. The extremely few issues I've had with it doesn't change the fact that I've enjoyed it so immensely. So, once again: Thank you!

clap notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
Really great story. Loved every part of it. It was funny, scary, waffy... everything a story needs.

Hope to read more from you soon. Great style. Wow.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Dashing to class but wanted to leave some cheers! This was a great story, and I really enjoyed reading it.

JD
dance

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Terry, I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to give you proper feedback sooner — I've just read this last chapter and it was fantastic. Thanks so much for the brilliant ride; your story was so engaging and original and just all-around terrific.

And thanks for this — I laughed out loud:
“This is Jimmy Olsen, head of our crack research department.”

Karen tried to hide a grin but failed. “Hi, Jimmy. Good to meet you, too. You did good with the research end of this assignment. Lois and I were glad to get all of the information you sent up. Say, you aren’t up past your bedtime, are you?”

Jimmy’s smile faded to confusion for a moment, then he nodded in comprehension. “Oh, like, no way, Major, like, my mom is, like, Lois’s best friend. They went to high school together, way, way back before, like, all the dinosaurs died.”
Seriously, it was such a lovely wrap-up, Terry! I'm just kind of sorry there's no more installments to look forward to. But, the point is: Thanks for sharing this with us on the boards. notworthy

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard