Print Thread
#28157 03/04/06 01:02 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Another excellent chapter, Terry! Of course, after reading it, the first thing I must talk about is Karen's homosexuality. (See, I'm calling her Karen, which means your portrayal of her in this chapter didn't make me dislike her!)

Since you had hinted at Karen's homosexuality before, having it confirmed wasn't a shock in any way. But I really, really liked the way you treated this sensitive topic. Karen did not come out like a monster in any way; on the contrary, I could feel for her very much for being made the scapegoat for the murders that had happened during her watch. I loved the way you showed us how much she personally mourned the deaths of Ben and Maria Zimmerman:
Lois noticed Karen rub her face as is she were wiping something out of her eyes when the talking head onscreen described how Ben and Maria had died. It appeared that those two deaths would stay with the Iron Major for a long time to come.
Though I have actually never been really drunk in my life (the things a religious background can do to you) I could certainly sympathize with Karen's wish to drown her sorrows in alcohol. And Lois's choice to stay the night in Karen's quarters - because she still needed to have her "necklace" removed by the Major, and because she might not be let in the following morning by a very hungover Major - would certainly seem suggestive to Karen, particularly if she thought that Lois knew she was gay.

So I loved it that you had Karen voice - tentatively and hesitantly - her hopes for a relationship with Lois. And I loved it even more that Lois was not shocked, scared or disgusted by this. Lois is strong enough in her heterosexuality, sure enough of her right and ability to make her own choices, certain enough of her love for Clark, and sufficiently used to the idea that many people are attracted to her, that she did not feel threatened by Karen's feelings for her.

I very much liked it that Karen found Lois particularly attractive when she, Lois, was angry! That observation actually made me giggle. Isn't that exactly the way Clark feels, too? clap clap clap clap

Ann

P.S. Harpo was always my favorite Marx brother, too, and by far the cutest!

Columnist
Columnist
I just loved this chapter of the story. I felt REALLY bad for Karen that she would be treated that way especially after all she had done to help solve the murders. Yes she was sort of upstaged by Lois, but she did her best under the circumstances. Ahh well. I loved how Lois refused to resign her position as Inspector until Karen took it back. And I really enjoyed the tactful way you handled Karen's admission of her feelings for Lois and Lois' response to them. She wasn't freaked out, or angry by it, but she was firm.

And her response to the kiss...very well done. Great job!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Interesting part. confused

I'll hide first. grumble Not any body can go to space!

Lois put the bags down. “Hope you like Chinese.”

Karen’s eyes bulged. “Chinese? You got Chinese food? Where? How?”

Lois winked at her. “If you close your eyes and think of egg rolls instead of gray and green and blue goop, it’s Chinese.”

“That might require some real imagination.”
:rolleyes: I think NASA have better food for their astronaut.

Karen didn’t look at her. Lois reached out and touched her hand. “Karen, are you trying to tell me you’re – you’re gay?”

Still looking away from her, Karen nodded. “Yes.”

“And you were afraid I’d run away screaming in panic when I found out?”

“Yes.”

“And when I didn’t run away, you thought maybe I was gay too?”

“Yeah, but, um – “ Karen shrugged. “You’re not, are you?”

Lois chuckled. “Sorry, no. Besides, Clark would be very upset if I told him something like that at this stage of the game.”
Why is the purpose of destroying the Karen character and the work she did with this back and forward of being gay? And Karen knew Lois had a relation with Clark.
Before Lois could ask another question, Vukovich spoke again. “You sent several e-mails to a guy named Kent. He your husband, boyfriend, chiropractor, what?”

The major’s abrupt manner made Lois uncharacteristically cautious. “We’re – dating, I guess.”

“Seriously dating?”

Lois shrugged. “I think so. Why?”

If Karen was to be punish for being gay they won't send her to a space station, a desert or an cold place are best as punishment, a space station is a reward.

“Supercargo? But that’s the term for people – who – who don’t – oh, no.“

“Yep. I’m not here on a long-term contract. I’m – “

“You know the editor of the Planet personally.”

“Yes, I – “

“You know the head of the crack research department, that, that Olsen guy.”

“That’s right, I – “

“You’re on a first-name basis with an investigative reporter with the Planet.”

“Karen, let me explain – “
This also doesn’t make sense.

I bet Matt knew Lois was a reporter. Karen knew that Lois met Claude and his profession and also knew that she had contact with the Planet and she had to promises that she'll read everything before is printed. Lois have interviewing everyone around seems she is the space station.

grumble If someone is guilty for the murder of all dose people I'll start for the ones who did the clearing check I'll include the publisher that is responsible for putting all does people at risk by letting a person with out a hint of knowledge work with computer in a space station that runs mostly on computers.

Even Edprad is guilty but is easier getting rid of Karen.

peep I was wishing this was tank story.

MAF wallbash

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Terry, you've given us another brilliant chapter that I absolutely *loved.* This has been such a fantastic ride, and I'm so sad that there's only one more part to go!

Your writing is stellar as always, and (eep, I know Ann's already quoted this, but I just can't help myself — it's too lovely and wonderful and perfect not to mention again) I so so so enjoyed the interaction between Lois and taser-wielding Matt Walker:
She turned to leave, but Walker said, "Ma'am? One more thing before you go."

She turned back. "Yes?"

He stood and came to attention, then gave her a textbook salute. As he released it, he said, "It's been an honor serving with you, ma'am."

Lois was touched. "I'm not in any military, Sergeant, so I can't salute you, but I can do this." She kissed him on the cheek, then smiled warmly. "That's kind of like a civilian salute."

No part of him moved except his eyes, which twinkled, and his mouth, which said, "Yes, ma'am, a real honor."
*hearts* Brilliant.

I wasn't surprised when Karen told Lois about her sexuality. You wrote it in wonderfully, and Lois' reaction to the kiss was so appropriately tactful.

Again, you've woven a terrific story, Terry — I can't wait to read your wrap-up, and to see what happens when Lois gets back to The Planet and to Clark!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story, Terry, I'm looking forward to the wrap up!

Ok, I'm gonna edit my post just throw a quick two cents in. As far as Karen is concerned, that whole scene doesn't bother me at all. And I don't know if it's just because I have quite the entertaining round of homosexual friends, so it's like an old hat to me if a situation like that comes up. As far as the kiss goes, if Karen kept it up or tried anything else, then of course I would expect Lois to get extremely put off, keeping in mind that that's exactly what happened to a couple of friends of mine last year. As it is, Lois just seems weirded out, which is the way I would totally feel if one of my girl friends kissed me spur of the moment, no matter if I had just met them or if I was friends with them for five years. If it was a guy that had done it...well, most guys I know have a bullseye drawn in the bedroom, but I don't think that was Karen's intention, and I sort of think Lois would know that here. So the fact that she isn't irate doesn't bother me. Personally, I don't think one quick kiss by anybody is enough to label it nfic, but that's just me. Maybe just a warning at the top in case there are people bothered by these types of situations? But no matter what happens, I thought it was a well-written scene, and it did a pretty balanced job of handling the situation.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Terry,

I'm sorry I'm slow with commenting on this chapter. It was lack of time and not lack of enjoyment.

You've created a very interesting world on a space station with its diverse and sometimes very odd characters, and yet everyone was believable.

I felt for Karen and her hopeless attraction for Lois. I think she always knew Lois was out of her reach, and you wrote her very sympathetically.

I also enjoyed this Lois. She's still fiesty and courageous, but perhaps a little more thoughtful than she once was when we met her in Season 1.

I have so loved the exciting ride you have taken us on with this story. I too will be sorry to see it end, and can only hope you'll give us some more of the same wonderful exciting A-plots in the future, but perhaps next time with a little more of Clark. smile

Yours Jenni

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ooh, another great plot twist! Although, as others have said, you did hint at Karen's sexual orientation in earlier parts. I love how you handled it - no cliches (thank god), and no stereotypes (thank god again!) Just plain, good writing w/ a lot of care for and understanding of the characters. goofy But of course in this, she'll forever be that season 1 Clark, because Clark gets to keep Lois!! And I have to smile at that (not that I don't want Karen to have some OTHER kind of happy ending of her own - I really care about her now!!) wink

Terry, this continues to be a fast-moving, well-told story and I really do love it smile I'm sorry my posting fdk has been so erratic - RL is quite busy at the moment!

But I cannot WAIT for the conclusion to this~

Nicole smile

R
Ray Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
I agree with everyone here, Terry's story is excellent and very well written. However, and you knew there had to be one, am I the only one who felt uncomfortable with the introduction of lesbianism into this story?

I have to say that I feel the kiss, and the resulting conversation, were totally gratuitous to the story. Nothing positive for the plot was gained by the addition, at least in my opinion I feel that Karen and Lois were friends, nothing more, and Lois spent the night in Karen’s room because she wanted to keep an eye on her friend. As such I feel that Karen stepped over the line when she decided to inject sexual tension into the mix. These two had only known each other for two weeks, that’s certainly not long enough to allow the kind of liberties Karen took with Lois. I wonder what changed Lois for that matter. If it was a man who kissed her after only two weeks of knowing each other I seriously doubt she’d behave in the same manner. I doubt she’d have taken it so calmly and I feel the offender would have had a close encounter with her hand and his cheek.

While this may be considered “stretching” the characters I wonder if this isn’t going over the line, at least on the G—PG side. I wouldn’t want some guy coming on to Clark and kissing him in a moment of weakness and I’m not comfortable with this exchange either. Can’t we keep sexual issues out of our fantasy world? If an author wants to experiment with homosexuality for Lois or Clark then I ask you to please do so on the nfic side so I can avoid the issue if I so choose.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with Maria and Ray. I'm following this story since the beginning and liking it, but this chapter seemed disjointed. frown I couldn't imagine Lois in this part. The dialogue and scenes don't fit her. For me, it was totally out of her character. razz How couldn't she see Lois was a reporter? confused She read Lois's emails. Lois knew everybody in The Planet. She made direct contact with Perry and Clark. It was obvious she was a reporter! sad

Andreia peep

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Top Banana
Top Banana
While this may be considered “stretching” the characters I wonder if this isn’t going over the line, at least on the G—PG side. I wouldn’t want some guy coming on to Clark and kissing him in a moment of weakness and I’m not comfortable with this exchange either. Can’t we keep sexual issues out of our fantasy world? If an author wants to experiment with homosexuality for Lois or Clark then I ask you to please do so on the nfic side so I can avoid the issue if I so choose.
Stepping in before this becomes an issue. What Terry wrote is perfectly within the PG13 guidelines as far as this forum is concerned. Kisses are considered PG and don't have to be on the nfic side (the fact that they're between two women is irrelevant).

Kaethel smile
Fanfic Forum Moderator

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey!

I'm been reading this story from the beginning, though I think it's the first time I comment. At first I thought I'd skim through it, as I tend to get bored with stories that are pretty much only A-Plot, but this one is so well-written, that it just kept me wanting to read on (and skimming was out of the question; I couldn't do it!)

As for Karen, I was seing that coming. I probably hadn't imagined that she'd go as far as kissing Lois,but I certainly don't feel that this part of the story came out of the blue, and I didn't feel uncomfortable with it.

Dying to see how you wrap it up smile

Cris

Cris

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard