Author's note: Forgive me, it's been awhile since I've done this, so this might get a little legnthy. I know those of you who remember me probably never thought you'd see me posting a new story, and I'm sure there are plenty more of you who have no earthly idea who I am. <G>

I've been busy writing other things over the past few years, but I've been really creatively blocked the past few months as I've been trying to work on an original novel. I decided that what I needed was a chance to write something just for fun. And then I heard a song on the radio that reminded me of a story I had plotted but abandoned years ago and I decided what I really needed was to revist some old friends.

This story was inspired by a poll, posted by Jose about 2.5 years ago. The original thread is here and asked whether Lois would read Clark's diary if she found it. The song that inspired the story is What a Beautiful Day by Chris Cagle.

I hadn't originally meant to make this a Christmas story, it just worked out that way. So consider this my late Christmas gift to all of you. I hope you don't want to exchange it for something else. <G>

This is the fifth story in the Playing series, and I can't imagine that you'll enjoy this story at will without at least a basic knowledge of those stories. They can be found on the archive:

Playing the Part
Playing to Win
Playing for Keeps
Playing by Heart

Enjoy!

December 24, 2005

“You have GOT to be kidding me!”

“Lois, it’s an EARTHQUAKE! What do you want me to do?”

“It’s always something, Clark.” Lois could hear her voice shifting from agitated to shrill, but couldn’t seem to stop herself. “Do you have any idea what I had to do to get these reservations?”

“Can we please do this when I get back?” Clark asked, resignation heavy in his voice. Although dressed in his signature blue and red uniform, he looked anything but heroic. His shoulders slumped and one hand kneaded the back of his neck.

“Whatever,” Lois muttered, turning her back on him and stalking toward their bedroom, the clicking of her high heels echoing in her wake. She paused in the doorway to their bedroom, then sighed when she heard the tell-tale sonic boom that indicated her husband’s departure.

“Fantastic. Just fantastic.” Lois kicked her shoes off, letting them lay where they fall. A string of profanities fell from her lips as she removed her jewelry and slammed it on her dressing table.

“Mommy?” Lois cringed, hoping she wouldn’t be hearing any of the words she’d just uttered come from the mouth of her five year old in the near future. “When’s Aunt Lucy coming?”

Lois took a deep breath and counted silently to ten, reminding herself not to take her frustration out on her daughter. “I don’t know, Nadia. It looks like she might not come after all.”

“But you said she was coming soon! I thought you were going out with Daddy!”

“So did I!” Lois snapped, immediately regretting it.

Nadia was still for a moment, as if deciding whether or not it was worth her while to burst into tears. In the end, she opted for defiance instead. “You’re so mean! You never let us have any fun!” she yelled, fleeing in the direction of her bedroom.

“Right. So mean. That’s what you said at the zoo yesterday.”

She reached around and unzipped her dress, letting it puddle on the ground before gathering it and hanging it back on a padded hanger. “A week’s salary. Maybe I can save it and wear it to the Kerths.”

Still in her slip, she perched on the edge of her bed and was in the process of removing her stockings when the phone rang. A quick glance at the caller-ID and she pressed the answer button. “Hey, Luce.”

“I saw the news. I’m guessing my babysitting services won’t be required after all…” The trepidation in her voice was apparent. Not that Lois could blame her -- she’d been on the receiving end of more than a few tirades lately. Having Lucy in on their secret had relieved a huge burden; gone were the days of making up ridiculous excuses for Clark to dash out in the middle of dinner. But Lois sometimes wondered if, for Lucy, ignorance hadn’t been bliss.

“Good guess,” Lois muttered, throwing her stockings in the direction of the laundry basket and collapsing onto the bed. “It looks like I’ll be spending my tenth anniversary eating takeout and playing Candyland. Thank GOD we didn’t go away for the weekend. If I was stuck alone in a hotel room right now, I’d be plotting a murder.”

“Do you want me to come over anyway? I could pick up takeout on the way.”

“Nah, go to that party you’ve been talking about. I’m not fit for company tonight. I pity the girls. With the mood I’m in, I’m sure they’d rather have you.”

“You want to talk about it?”

“What is there to say? I know this is important. But it’s ALWAYS important. I know he’s cut back a lot...but why do these things always have to have such bad timing?”

“I know. It sucks.”

“And then of course I can’t just shut up and let him go. I know he’s as disappointed as I am, but I have to yell at him about our reservations. And then I’m the bad guy, even though he’s the one who broke the plans, because I should be more understanding. And it’s true. Because how can I ask him to ignore people who need him because I want to have a romantic dinner? God. Ugh. I hate how selfish he makes me feel.”

“You’re not selfish. And I’m sure he doesn’t think you are. He hates having to leave too.”

“I know he does. And that just makes me feel worse. It’s not like he planned this.” Lois sighed. “Look, I’m obviously not a great mood right now. I’ll spare you the drama. I’m going to play with the girls for bit, then after they go to bed I’m going to take a nice long bath and try to relax.”

“That sounds like a good plan. If you need me, call. I’ll have my cell.”

“Thanks, Luce.”

Lois waited for Lucy’s goodbye, then hung up the phone. A quick call to the restaurant canceled their reservation, then she dragged herself to her feet and replaced on the phone on the receiver. After a quick trade, pajamas for her slip, and a trip to the bathroom to wash off her makeup, she headed down the hallway.

A quiet, relaxing evening with her girls wasn’t her first choice for the evening, but it would go a ways to soothe her wounded spirits.

“Give it back! It’s mine! MOMMY!”

Quiet. Relaxing. Evening.

“MOMMY!”

Lois took a deep breath and entered the bedroom. “What is the problem?”

“Anya has my book! I need it so I can read it to my class.” Lois followed her gesture and cringed as she saw every doll and stuffed animal the little girl owned lined up on the floor.

“Didn’t I just put those back in your toy box?”

“MOM. It’s my CLASS. How can I be a teacher without any students?”

“Right. Of course. Silly me,” Lois muttered.

“Give it, Anya!”

“MINE!”

Lois rolled her eyes. The toddler was learning new words daily. Apparently this one had been acquired in the last batch.

“All right, simmer down. How about we forget about the book and go play a game?”

“I don’t want a game! I want my book!”

“MINE!”

Lois took a deep breath and forced aside a visual of herself banging her head against the wall.

“We could color.”

“Book!”

“MINE!”

“Or watch a movie.”

Nadia opened her mouth to protest, then hesitated. “With popcorn?”

“With popcorn,” Lois confirmed.

“I’ll do it!” Nadia took off running for the kitchen, her burning desire for the book forgotten in her rush to show off her microwave popcorn skills.

“All right. You too, Anya. Let’s go.”

The little girl toddled over and lifted her arms. Lois obliged happily, lifting her close and snuggling, the lingering scent of sweet baby shampoo filling her senses. A chubby hand patted her on the cheek. “Mama. Mine mama.”

The lump that suddenly appeared in her throat made it hard to speak, so instead she silently kissed the baby on her head. After so many years of waiting and praying and hoping and trying, there had been many days when she thought she’d never hear those words. On days like this, when the girls bickered incessantly and made one mess after another, it was easy to forget how lucky she was. They might be monsters, but they were her monsters. “Yes, I’m your mama,” Lois finally replied. “And you’re my Anya.”

“Popcorn?”

Lois couldn’t help but laugh, the tender moment shattered. “Yeah, yeah. Popcorn. Let’s go check on your sister.”

Three hours later, Lois tiptoed past the girl’s bedroom, checking on them one last time before retiring to her own room. A giant bowl of popcorn and a Disney movie had tamed the wild beasts. By the end of the movie, both of them had to be carried to their beds, though Nadia had mumbled something incoherent about wanting to wait up for Santa.

Lois walked through her bedroom to the adjoining bath and started the hot water, adding a generous squirt of her nicest bubble bath. Back in her bedroom, she flipped on LNN just long enough to watch a few minutes of the earthquake coverage. A familiar streak of blue and red could be seen ferrying survivors from the rubble to waiting medical personnel.

She found a hanger and reached for Clark’s suit, still draped across the back of an armchair where he laid it after changing into his uniform only minutes before they were supposed to leave for dinner. As she settled the jacket on the hanger, something thumped to the floor. Surprised, Lois hung the suit, then crouched to retrieve the item.

The small leather-bound book had obviously seen better days, but Lois couldn’t recall ever having seen it before. Without a second thought, she flipped it open to the first page.

Day One: I know that’s not the traditional way to start a journal. I should probably mark the date. But I can’t help but feel that it is fitting, since today marked the beginning of a whole new life. Years of traveling, restlessly seeking something for which I had no name resulted in nothing. And now I’ve found it. My home.

Unbelievably, I’ve managed to secure a position writing for the best newspaper in the world. My professional dream, which seemed so unattainable a few short months ago as I penned an article on the mating habits of knob-tailed geckos, achieved so suddenly. At the Daily Planet, I’ll be able to learn and grow as a writer and a journalist. I’ll have opportunities to cover stories I’d only be reading about otherwise.

And I’ll have the chance to work with the most incredible woman I’ve ever met. Lois Lane. I’ve known of her for years, of course. Professionally, she’s something of an idol. But I didn’t expect her to be so young, so full of energy...or so beautiful. She burst into my interview without a second glance at me -- no surprise there really -- and if I didn’t believe in love at first sight before that moment, all it took was her passionate display to make me change my mind.

I know I barely know her. But somehow I know: I’m meant to be here -- not just because of the professional opportunities, but because of her.

A diary. There was no mistaking it. Clearly this was Clark’s personal diary. And obviously she should respect his privacy and put it aside. Absolutely under no circumstances should she continue to read.

Day Fourteen: Amazing how much can change in two weeks. I found a real apartment, no more living in that rat-trap motel. I was partnered on an amazing story with Lois - who seems to be tolerating me. She acts like she hates me, but it’s just an act. I think. I hope. The other day we were sitting at our desks, working late and eating and she looked and me and said, “Don’t fall for me, Farmboy.”

Too late. I know I don’t really stand a chance with her, but I can’t help but hope that if she gets to know me better... Not that it really matters, anyway. It’s not like I can do the normal dating thing. I have to be careful not to let anyone find out my secret. But maybe... I don’t know. Maybe now it will be different.

That brings me to my other news: Lois unknowingly sparked the greatest idea I’ve ever had. After I slipped away to save someone trapped underground and came back covered in dirt, she told me I should bring a change of clothes to work. I can’t believe it never occurred to me wear a disguise. Mom thinks the idea is brilliant (though I think maybe she just liked an excuse to get out her old sewing machine), but Dad is really worried I’ll be discovered. If he knew I was writing this in my journal, he’d have a heart attack. I know it’s dangerous. The disguise isn’t that great. I’m honestly surprised no one has figured it out already. But I guess you see what you want to see. Who would believe that the bespectacled Kansas farm kid was a superhero? Lois has dubbed my alter ego “Superman” which sounds strange and a bit ridiculous. But what can I do? I guess the more outrageous my superhero persona, the less anyone will associate him with the real me.

Day 36: She is the smartest woman I’ve ever met, but sometimes... God! How can she be so blind? How can she go out on a date with that…that…scum. That no good, lying, cheating, manipulative scum. I know she really wants to get the exclusive, but I can’t believe she would have dinner with him. All dressed in that dress, and... ugh. I can’t stand the thought of him touching her. If he hurts her, I swear I’ll... I don’t know what I’ll do, but he’ll regret the day he so much as looked at her.

Day 85: What a week. Apparently I’m not as invulnerable as I thought. Kryptonite, Lois is calling it. Funny how she always seems to be the one to name things having to do with Superman. Whatever it is, I never want to see it again. And I never want to see Trask and his cronies again either.

“They’ll dissect you like a frog.”

How many times did Dad tell me that growing up? But I never really believed him, because I thought I was invincible. If I was discovered, I’d just fly away or bust my way out of any jail. But apparently that is easier said than done, because with the help of this kryptonite, it seems not only possible, but quite likely that they could do just that I know I should think about that possibility and try to prepare, but I can’t even begin to imagine how I would do so and thinking about it just makes me a nervous wreck.

Of course this discovery only increases Lois’ interest in Superman. I am still amazed that she hasn’t discovered the truth, and now I am beginning to develop a new fear. If she does discover the truth, I no longer fear a front-page expose well. (Well, you never know with Lois. But I don’t THINK she would do that.) But I know it would destroy our budding friendship. This time with her in Smallville was so much more fun than I thought it would be. She was horrified at the prospect of going at first, but once we got there, she seemed to really enjoy it. I’ll never forget dancing with her at the carnival or winning her that stuffed bear. My parents adore her, especially my mother, who nearly caused me to die of embarrassment by asking if we wanted to share a bedroom. And I feel like we’re really starting to become friends. If she discovers that I’ve been lying to her this whole time, our friendship will be destroyed.

But I can’t tell her. She’s developed this weird crush on Superman and as flattering as that is, that’s not the real me. And I don’t know if she would be angry that I “tricked” her into flirting with me or if she’d try to transfer that crush to me. But either way it’s not good. Even though there are times I think (okay, fantasize) about that second option, I know that’s not fair. It’s not fair to her because she’s in love with someone who doesn’t exist. And it’s not fair to myself to try to substitute that for real feelings.

Lois closed the book abruptly. This was wrong. Very wrong. Reading her husbands personal thoughts, especially about their relationship, was an egregious violation of his privacy. He would never dream of reading her diary. The diary that she kept in plain sight on her bedside table.

Her eyes narrowed. If Clark trusted her, why would he hide his diary? Why wouldn’t he leave it in out in the open like she did with hers? Was he hiding something? Was there something he was afraid she would discover? They claimed not to have any secrets from one another. If that was the case, then he should have no objections to her reading this, right?

That logic sounded weak even to her own ears, but she opened the diary anyway. She skimmed past a few more entries, smiling at his wide-eyed optimism and humorous descriptions of some of their early interactions. The entries about his duties as Superman, the immense pressure he was under suddenly and the guilt he felt when he failed made her ache for the days when he had no one to come home to after a particularly tough incident.

She stopped suddenly, rereading the first sentence of the next entry. Her heart twisted in her chest as she was flung back to that time.

Day 231: I can’t believe she’s going to marry him. I keep waiting to wake up from this nightmare, but apparently my fears have become reality.

I told her how I feel about her. I know I shouldn’t have done it. She’s engaged and clearly doesn’t return my feelings, but I couldn’t let her go without telling her. Without taking the chance that she might possibly return my feelings. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I told her how much I loved her, how I wanted to spend my life with her.

I could see the pity in her eyes as she told me she loved me like a brother. Like a brother. I want to spend the rest of my life with her; I spend every moment of every day thinking about her, fantasizing about her. And she feels sisterly towards me. Who was I kidding? Did I really ever think that she could fall in love with me?

And how can I possibly sit there and watch her pledge to spend her life with that monster? The truth of the matter is that it wouldn’t matter if he was good incarnate, I’d be devastated at the thought of losing her. In the last nine months, she’s gone from a crush and an idol to my best friend. Being with her, talking to her, teasing her, holding her when she falls asleep during our late-night movie sessions…these are the best things in my life. And I know that once she marries someone else - anyone else - there is a level of emotional intimacy that we are going to lose. She’ll have someone else to hold her, someone else to rush to with exciting news or a funny story, someone else to waste time with on a Saturday. But I like to think that if it were anyone else, I could be strong for her. I could sit in the pew at their wedding and smile and afterwards tell them how happy I was for them and really mean it.

But I just can’t. Not him. He doesn’t love her. He doesn’t appreciate her. She’s just one more priceless possession for him to collect. He doesn’t want to love her, he wants to own her. He’ll wind up controlling her and keeping her from being the person she really is. Already she’s driving around in fancy cars and talking about taking a job at LNN. Three weeks ago she spent 45 minutes ranting about how disgusting broadcast news is and how viewers are more interested in hairstyles and chitchat than actual news and she would rather die than smile and read sound bites from a cue card. If she can change so much in under a month, what will happen in a year? How long will it take before my best friend is completely unrecognizable? And how am I ever going to live without her?

Enough. She had to stop. This abuse of her husband’s trust had gone on long enough. Lois closed the book and laid in on top of their dresser. Before she could change her mind, she spun on her heel and headed for the bathroom. The water in the bathtub had reached the correct level, so she twisted the handles to stop the water and shed her robe, sliding into the hot, sudsy water.

She lay back, resting her head against the side of the tub, and closed her eyes, trying to relax. But in the silence of the bathroom, her thoughts echoed loudly in her head. How had he survived her debacle of a wedding? What had possessed him to later take back his feelings for her?

It didn’t matter. Because she was NOT reading any more. She slid under the water, soaking her hair and attempting to muffle the nagging voice that begged to read just one more entry. To no avail.

As she lathered her hair and body, she couldn’t wash away the burning desire to read just a little more . She knew it was wrong. Knew she should leave it. Knew she’d done enough damage to her husband’s trust. She rinsed her hair and rose from the still-hot water, wrapping herself in a towel.

Pacing the length of the bathroom, she reminded herself of all the reasons she shouldn’t read any more. Besides the obvious fact that it was wrong, wrong, wrong, and that doing so could shatter her husband’s trust in her, she knew that reading this diary was the equivalent of opening Pandora’s Box. Who knew what she would read and how she would feel about it. What if he had written things in anger that would hurt her deeply? Once she read it, there could be no taking it back. It was more than just wrong, it was dangerous.

Finally, pausing only long enough to throw on her robe and wrap her dripping hair in a towel, she flung open the bathroom door, stalked across the bedroom and plucked the diary from the dresser.

“I’m sorry, Clark. I just can’t help myself,” she whispered, opening the diary and searching for her place as she walked blindly to the chair, curling up and making herself comfortable.

Day 245: I know I should be sorry for the loss of a human life, because all life is precious. But I’m not. He chose to leap rather than face the consequences for his greed, and if I hadn’t been so weakened from the kryptonite HE exposed me to, I would have been strong enough to save him. While I might mourn for the loss of what he COULD have been, I cannot bring myself to mourn for the monster he was.

Lois was devastated and humiliated of course. I’ve tried to be there for her, but it was a non-stop string of police interviews and journalists shouting for interviews. It was a sobering reminder of what we do and how we, as a profession, need to approach our job responsibly and empathetically.

I am hopeful that things will get back on track now though. She’s going to have a lot of stuff to work through - even knowing how evil Lex was, watching the man you were supposed marry swan dive from the top of a building has to be traumatic. But I’ll be there for her. And she’ll have her work, which has always helped her in the past. She probably needs that more than she needs me. She can focus on the reopening of the Planet and the rebuilding of the paper’s reputation and prestige.

Today, after we learned that the Planet would reopen, we took a walk together. My confession was on both of our minds’ and I convinced her to let me speak first. I told her that I didn’t really mean it. That I loved her like a friend, but that was all. That I would have done anything to keep her from marrying Lex. I hated to lie to her, but our friendship is so tenuous, so fragile right now. She needs me as a friend to comfort her right now and she can’t lean on me the way she needs to if she’s worried about hurting my feelings or giving me the wrong impression.

After I spoke, she looked almost... disappointed. I can’t imagine what she was going to say. But there was nothing that she could have said that I wanted to hear. Either she would reinforce her sisterly affection for me, reminding me once again of what I cannot have. Or she’d tell me that she wanted to explore the possibility of romance -- a possibility that could end in nothing but disaster right now. She’s in no place emotionally to be thinking about romance. And I don’t want to throw away our friendship for a rebound relationship that has no chance of lasting more than a few weeks. Right now I’m just going to focus on being the friend she needs and if it’s meant to be (and I still, despite all evidence to the contrary, believe it is) then it will all work out eventually.

“What did I ever do to deserve you?” Lois whispered. Reliving the humiliation and confusion of that time was more painful than ever, knowing his reasons for acting the way he did. Sometimes she was amazed that two intelligent adults could so utterly bumble a relationship. It was a miracle they ever managed to get on the same page.

She read the next few entries quickly, smiling as the entries grew more and more conflicted. His feelings for her were becoming harder and harder to hide and her actions suggested that she was feeling some of the same conflict, even if it was only subconsciously.

Suddenly her face broke into a wide grin. “Ooh, this should be good.”

Day 398: I have a date with Lois. Okay, it’s just a pretend date, but still I’m so nervous I feel like I have an entire swarm of butterflies in my stomach. Apparently Lois ran into the jerk she dated in college a couple of nights ago and he provoked her until she agreed to have dinner with him and their respective significant others. Only this boyfriend of Lois’ doesn’t exist, obviously. I could see how much it cost her to admit she needed my help and explain why, but it was all I could do not to jump up and down. Dinner at a romantic restaurant with not just her permission, but her blessing to pretend we are on a real date. It doesn’t get much better than that. Well, except for dinner at a romantic restaurant when it really IS a date, of course.

I’m picking her up in a half hour and I feel like I’m sixteen and getting ready for the prom. Except I wasn’t nearly this nervous about going out with Rachel.

I want to bring her flowers, but I have no idea if that will come across as sweet or strange. And I hope she likes my new suit.

This guy is the one who caused the feud between her and Linda King. I can only imagine that he’s incredibly good looking. He’s also a successful journalist dating one of the nation’s “sexiest people”. I hope I don’t come off as a total hick next to him. I think I’ve finally been making some progress with Lois lately. There are times I swear she feels the chemistry between us. But what if she looks at me next to this dream guy of hers and … This is ridiculous. I’ve got to stop this worrying. She’s nervous enough for the both of us. I just need to stay calm and collected.

And I need to bring her flowers.

I’ll pick them up on the way.

Day 340: I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Last night was incredible. Talk about emotional highs and lows. One minute we’re dealing with arguably the most obnoxious couple I’ve ever met, the next we’re dancing and holding each other close, the next she’s pouring her heart out telling me about how badly he treated her so many years ago. Then...then I’m telling her that I love her.

I don’t know what came over me. She just looked so sad and lost and... I just wanted her to know that someone loves her. She acts so tough most of the time, but I know she’s a closet romantic. And not just a romantic, but she’s sensitive, her hard exterior is just a shield to protect her tender heart. And when she opened up to me and allowed me to see her so vulnerable, I didn’t even think, I just reacted. After I blurted it out, there was a moment of silence and I really had no idea what she was going to say or do. And then she told me that she loves me too...as a friend. Of course. Back to that again.

It’s so frustrating sometimes. I love her, I really do. And I know that she has a long of history to work through. But how can she not see what is right in front of her. How can she not know how I feel about her? If she really, truly doesn’t love me as anything more than a friend, why doesn’t she stop sending me mixed signals. If she only wants to be friends, why is always in my arms? Why am I the one she comes to when she needs a pretend boyfriend? And why does she care if I date Mayson (or any other blonde for that matter)?

Anyway, I think I managed not to let my disappointment show. I dropped her off at home afterwards and asked her to go to dinner with me, just as friends. Then I went to kiss her goodnight -- on the cheek -- and suddenly I found myself kissing her. Really kissing her. She turned her head at the last second and... I’ve kissed her before, but never like this. It was chaste and over almost before it began, but it was REAL. It wasn’t a cover story or a ruse. It was just her kissing me. Because she wanted to. And it was the best kiss of my life. And it was worth every moment of frustration.

I just hope she doesn’t panic and push me away now.

Oh, how well he knew me, Lois thought to herself with a grimace. Even eleven years later, she could remember the awkward “morning after”; the way she avoided looking at him on Monday, refusing to reply to anything he said on the topic of the weekend, babbling about anything and everything under the sun in order to prevent him from getting a word in edgewise.

Of course, there was no avoiding it because Perry had sentenced them to a week in DC at the annual SPJ conference. And, because fate was cruel, who else would be in attendance, but Paul. When she’d seen him, standing there in the hotel lobby, she’d wanted nothing more than to die, to just curl up and whither away. She’d thought it was the worst possible thing that could happen to them, having to either admit the truth and see the scorn in Paul’s eyes or continue the subterfuge. She hadn’t been sure which option was more horrifying.

But if he hadn’t been there, if Perry hadn’t forced her to attend in spite of her vehement protests, how long would it have taken for her to come to her senses? How much longer would she and Clark have stumbled blindly through their friendship, both wanting more and neither knowing how to attain it. In retrospect, it seems so fortuitous.

Smiling now, she soaked in Clark’s descriptions of their early fumbling attempts at romance. Her heart leapt as she read his version of their tour of the monuments and their moonlit dinner cruise down the Potomac. She laughed at his embarrassment over her surprise post-shower appearance, and snickered at his colorful, scathing comments about Paul’s behavior.

The entries turned serious as they returned home and Clark agonized over his decision to tell her his secret. She stomach churned as she read the blatant terror woven throughout his words describing the idea of losing everything just as he was on the verge of having the one thing he’d wanted for so long. There was nothing for a few days and Lois knew it as likely because he was too scared to put his fear into words, afraid that analyzing the idea would make it real.

When he wrote again, it was with elation. She knew the truth and still loved him. The entries were sparse but happy for a few months and Lois knew Clark had simply been to busy settling into their relationship to spend much time writing in his diary. Their whirlwind courtship culminated in a romantic Christmas proposal, and Lois let herself drift back to that snowy week in Kansas as she read Clark’s entry.

Day 408: It’s nearly impossible to believe that three months ago I was regularly penning entries about how frustrated and confused I was about my relationship with Lois. I really believed at that point that things between us would never be resolved. I had condemned myself to a life of unrequited love.

And now here I am, engaged. Engaged and madly in love. Lois is happy in a way I’ve never seen her before. And I don’t even have words for how happy I am.

This was easily the best Christmas of my entire life. I hadn’t even intended to propose, but it was all just so perfect and I wanted to know that it would always be like this. After it was out, I worried for a moment that it was too much too soon. But once Lois got over the shock, it was clear that she was just as happy as I was.

She was worried that mom and dad might be apprehensive, but before we could even break the news they were screaming and hugging us. Well, the screaming was just mom. I am so lucky to have such wonderful parents. I wish Lois had been as lucky. But I know she’s going to be a wonderful mother to our children. Our children. Wow. She has doubts about her abilities, but we talked about that this weekend and even though she has fears, she wants to work through them so we can have children.

Six months ago, I would have said that I would probably spend my life alone and I certainly would never have children. Amazing. Of course, I don’t even know if we can have children. The whole human-kryptonian physiology thing is an uncharted frontier. But I have no doubt that we will find a way. God knows Lois is capable of doing anything she puts her mind do. If she decides we can have a baby, a baby will be made.

Lois snickered at Clark’s description of her legendary tenaciousness, but it was tinged with sadness knowing the long battle they would fight to have children. It was true: eventually they would make it happen, but the road was long and paved with many doubts and disappointments.

The next few entries were filled with the reactions of family and friends to their engagement along with the wedding plans as they began to unfold, interrupted only by their first real fight as a couple. Strange that something that seemed so important at the time could seem so silly in retrospect.

Finally, she reached the day of their wedding.

Day 769: When we decided on a Christmas wedding, it sounded romantic and it sounded practical given how briefly we dated before my proposal. A year-long engagement would give us plenty of time to settle into our relationship and prepare for marriage.

It still sounds good in theory, but the last six months have been torturous. So many times I wished that we had just eloped. I knew Lois wanted a traditional wedding, and I did too…I just want more to be married. Even though we spent most nights together, it wasn’t enough, it wasn’t the same. I wanted to make a home together. There were many times I thought I’d go crazy waiting for this day to come.

But here it is. I’m sitting in my apartment -- that’s the last time I’ll say that, “my apartment”, from now on it will be “our apartment” -- dressed in my tuxedo, waiting for the limo to arrive. Lois is already at the church, I assume. I have been barred from arriving until she is entrenched somewhere with her entourage, lest I accidentally see her dress. Dad, Jimmy, Perry and Pete are here. Lois has her mother, Lucy, my mother and Lana. It’s funny to me to see the friendship that Lana and Lois have forged over the past year, but I’m glad for it. I want Lois to feel at home in Smallville the way that I do.

I’m nervous about the ceremony today. I want everything to be perfect. I’m worried that Lois’ mother will drive Lois insane. I’m worried that someone will forget something. I’m worried that I’ll hear cries for help during the ceremony. I’ve already promised Lois that I won’t leave, no matter what I hear. And I won’t. Because this day is too important to ruin, and I could never explain to the guests why I had to dash out for dry cleaning in the middle of our wedding ceremony. But I know that if I hear something and don’t respond, I’m going to have to live with that guilt. I hope I will be so focused that I don’t hear anything. Or that, just once, all will be peaceful long enough for me to make it through this evening without a disturbance.
My dad asked me earlier if I had cold feet. And I thought for a minute about all of my concerns and worries. But I realized none of them are important. Even if our ceremony is an utter disaster, it won’t stop us from having a great marriage. And I really believe we will. Not just because we love each other, but because we are so committed to making this work. This last year has been such a lesson in compromise and working out our problems. And I know we still have much more to learn on that front. But I believe we can make it. I believe that someday I’ll be standing in my father’s place having this conversation with my own child.

I really can’t wait to see what life has in store for us. I know that’s cheesy, but I can’t help it. I’m so excited about the life we are going to have together. I can’t wait for it to start.

The limo is here! Here we go...

Lois felt her eyes mist up as she remembered how young and eager they had been on their wedding day. She’d had all the same worries as Clark, but she hadn’t had his unwavering faith to help her deal with them. Her mother’s constant harping about her father’s decision to bring a date to the wedding hadn’t helped matters, and by the time she was set to walk down the aisle, she was a bundle of nerves, so tightly wound she considered escaping through the bathroom window. But Martha’s pep talk played like a broken record in her mind, reminding her how much she had to look forward to in her life with Clark. And when the doors opened and she saw him standing at the altar, all her doubts melted away.

The ceremony was beautiful with personalized vows that brought tears to both of their eyes. And when they’d turned to face the guests after being pronounced husband and wife, she’d seen that most of them were wiping their eyes as well.

They’d had the reception at the Lexor hotel ballroom, where every penny they’d spent had been worth it to see Perry on a table serenading Jimmy with an Elvis tune. The young photographer had been mortified, but a few more drinks and he had joined Perry on the table.

Afterwards, they had spent the night in the honeymoon suite where they had once posed as newlyweds. After stopping by Smallville for a traditional Christmas morning, Clark had whisked her off to their mystery honeymoon. He’d told her only that she should pack lightly because clothing would be optional. Her skepticism had turned to delight when he sat them down on an uncharted island, hidden away in the South Pacific. It was obvious he had been there to prepare, as a rustic hut was outfitted with all the necessities they might need over the course of the next week.

Lois sighed, a smile curling at the corners of her lips as she remembered that week. Aside from a few quick errands, they hadn’t left the island. And clothing had indeed been optional.

Dragging herself back to reality, she continued reading.

Day 778: How in the world are we supposed to fit all this furniture into one apartment? And clothes! This woman has more clothes than an entire village in Africa. Maybe I can “lose” some of these things I know I’ve never seen her wear.

“I KNEW it! I knew I didn’t misplace those boxes! No wonder you forgave me so quickly when I ‘accidentally’ donated all those science fiction books to the library.”

Lois skimmed the next few years worth of entries, laughing at the growing pains as they tried to merge their lives. Eventually things settled down and the entries focused more on various rescue situations and the daily grind along with other important moments in their lives: their first Pulitzer nomination, buying their first home, and attending Jimmy’s wedding.

Then suddenly the entries came closer together again as Clark poured out his emotions on their toughest challenge yet, their inability to get pregnant. For years they tried charting her cycle and using every home remedy and old wives tale they could find. Visiting a specialist was out of the question, since they couldn’t know what any tests done on Clark’s blood or sperm would reveal. Finally, Clark had decided that Superman should talk to Dr. Klein and see if there was any advice that the doctor could give them.

Day: 2603: It’s official, we can’t have children. Not that it comes as any surprise after nearly three years of trying. But last week Dr. Klein sat me (well, Superman) down and told him there was absolutely no foreseeable way the sperm of a Kryptonian could impregnate a human woman.

I really expected to feel worse than I do. Instead I feel almost...energized. I feel like once this became official, it gave us the push we need to really look into adoption. And that’s exactly what we’ve been doing this week.

It’s amazing how RIGHT the decision to adopt feels. I don’t know why we put it off for so long. Of course we can love a child who is not biologically related to either of us. We talked briefly about the possibility of using donor sperm so that we could still experience the pregnancy and the baby would at least be biologically tied to Lois. And while I was okay with that, it just seems strange to me to go to such lengths to conceive a child when there are so many in the world who desperately need homes.

I was once a child like that, a child without a home. And my parents gave me more love than any child could hope for. I want to do that for a child. I want to give them that unconditional love. And I love the idea of finding a child already in this world, one who wants a family as much as we do.

Lois feels the same way. We have said so many times over this week that we’re glad it turned out this way. That it feels so right. I think maybe even if we could have children of our own, this would have been the right decision for us.

We’ve chosen the agency we want to go through. They specialize in adoptions from China, Guatemala and Russia. There will be months and months of paperwork and home studies and interviews before we are matched with a child. And then we’ll have to wait even longer before our baby can come home. Now that the decision is made, we are so eager, so impatient. It’s so hard to know that our baby is out there somewhere right now. But soon, soon our baby will be home.

Yes, Lois thought, adoption had been the perfect option for them. She’d never had a burning desire to be pregnant or give birth. She’d just wanted to add to their family. They wanted a child to love, and it didn’t matter to her whether that child was biologically related to either or both of them.

She read through the next six months worth of entries, understanding for the first time, how terrified Clark had truly been that this rigorous application and interviewing process would result in the discovery of his secret identity. He had voiced that fear only once, in passing, and she had assumed at the time that he wasn’t really worried about it, when in fact his diary proved that it was a major concern of his for months.

And then finally, the constant barrage of worries and fear were replaced with joy.

Day 2724: I’ve seen our daughter! We got a call this morning from the agency saying they had a match for us. A little girl named Nadia. She’s eleven months old and lives in an orphanage in Siberia. The told us they were forwarding her dossier and a photo, so Lois and I immediately rushed to the computer.

She’s beautiful. She has huge brown eyes and dark blonde hair. I know it’s crazy, but as soon as I saw the picture, I felt such a connection with her. I just knew she was meant to be our daughter.

Later, I was able to find the orphanage. I hovered above her for an hour, just watching her play and sleep. She looked so lonely in her little crib. It was so hard not to swoop in and take her away, but I know we have to follow the procedures or risk losing her altogether.

It will be months until the paperwork is ready, and then we will have to go to Russia twice, once to sign the papers and meet her, and a second time a few weeks later to bring her home. It’s tempting to fly Superman Express in order to save money and time, but I’m scared to do anything that might tip someone off. It would be so terrible to come this far and then have it all ruined.

It still doesn’t feel real. I don’t feel like a father yet. This weekend we are going to go shopping for nursery furniture and start decorating. Lois has already chosen the paint and she insists that we paint it together - at normal speed. It’s a bonding exercise, she insists. The last time she attempted a home improvement project we wound up having to replace the kitchen cabinets. Let’s hope this isn’t a repeat performance.

“That roomed turned out perfectly, I’ll have you know,” Lois muttered. True, it had taken an extra two coats to look even and the trim work was less than ideal, but overall the end result was charming. Clark had wanted pink at first, but Lois refused to let overwhelm their daughter with frills and bows. Instead they had settled on a pale green, which made the room look sunny and happy.

Their friends had been so thrilled that baby gifts had poured in from every direction. For three months they had been overwhelmed with baby showers and decorating and shopping and preparing.

In the meantime, they had fought bitterly over a name. It seemed like every name under the sun had been suggested and rejected. They went through dozens of baby names books highlighting and crossing out. For awhile, she worried their daughter would go through life nameless. And then the decision that seemed so hard suddenly became so simple.

“Maybe we should just let her keep the name Nadia,” Clark had suggested.

It was perfect somehow. No other name could fit her so flawlessly. And when Lois flipped through one of the plethora of books and discovered that her name meant “hope”, it seemed rather fitting.

So it was decided, Nadia Lane Kent.

And then nothing. They waited and waited. The delay had seemed intolerable. And then finally the phone call had come. Some hasty travel arrangements were made and then they were halfway around the world, holding their daughter for the first time. It was the most amazing moment of her life and when she had turned to hand their daughter to Clark, she’d seen the tears in his eyes and she’d started to sob.

Leaving her at the orphanage and coming back to Metropolis to wait for the final papers to be processed, had been the hardest things she’d ever done. The weeks had crawled as she waited and worried about her daughter.

Finally the appointed day arrived and they departed once again for Russia. And this time when they left the orphanage, they did so with their daughter in their arms.

The first night in the hotel had been difficult. She was a happy baby, but confused and in a strange place with strange people. Lois and Clark were thrilled to have her, but slightly out of their depth trying to interpret her cries and fill her needs.

Two weeks of bureaucracy and red tape, and then they held their breath as a judge signed the final papers. And it was official. Nadia Lane Kent. Their daughter.

A sixteen-hour flight, and two interminable layovers later, they were back in Metropolis. Martha and Jonathan were supposed to meet them at the airport, but as they descended the escalator, they were surprised to see all of their friends and family members waiting with signs and balloons and flowers.

Lois had been speechless as Perry explained that he couldn’t let the newest member of his family arrive without a warm welcome. Then everyone crowded around oohing and ahhing at the sweet little girl who, tuckered out from hours of crying on the plane, slept through her entire party.

The transition from to parenthood had not been without its pitfalls. Nothing was ever as easy as it seemed. But the joy they both found in their daughter convinced them even on their worst days that it had been the right decision.

The entries became sporadic for awhile as Clark tried to balance his already busy schedule with the demands of a baby. But the few entries that he made were full of joy and love, listing Nadia’s newest accomplishments and discoveries.

Lois shut the book for a moment, her finger still marking her place, and closed her eyes. For a moment she let herself relive that crazy time of firsts -- first diaper change, first bath, first step, first birthday, first word. It had all happened so quickly. For a moment she was tempted to go down the hall and wake her daughter just to hug her. Then she remembered what a bear she could be when wakened before she was ready and decided to wait the hug until morning.

When she reopened the book and began reading, her stomach began to church. She was entering, she knew, the darkest part of their marriage thus far.

Day 3199: I don’t know who this guy is, but if he doesn’t keep his hands - and eyes - off my wife, he’s going to regret the day he was ever hired at The Daily Planet. He thinks that just because he’s won the Pulitzer for his coverage of 9/11 that he is the best reporter of this generation. It’s ridiculous and disgusting the way he expects people to fawn all over him.

Lois is obsessed with him lately, always asking his advice on stories. I can’t stand that doe-eyed look she gives him. I haven’t seen her so...so...smitten since Superman. You’d think by now she would have learned her lesson about men not always being what they appear to be, but no, of course not.

God, I wish he would have taken that job offer he’s always bragging about, working as a war correspondent in Afghanistan for the New York Times.

I know he wants her, I can see it in his eyes when he looks at her and doesn’t think anyone is watching him. Doesn’t he know that she’s married? That she’s a mother?

Day 3221: I spied on them tonight. I know it’s wrong. I know I promised Lois that I would never do anything like this. I’m sorry. And I do trust her, I just don’t trust him.

I got back from a rescue only to hear that Perry had partnered them on a breaking news story. Of course that story was the rescue I had just finished -- a standoff involving a man with a gun at a local nursing home. I had seen Lois at the scene, had given her an interview, and she hadn’t said a word about being partnered with that jerk.

I got back just in time to polish the piece I had been working on earlier and turn it in. But Lois was locked away in a conference room with Mr. Pulitzer and wouldn’t be ready to go for quite awhile. So I pretended to leave and go get Nadia, but instead I went upstairs, off the roof and hovered just out of sight, watching them.

She was just working, but he kept creeping closer and closer, putting his hand on her shoulder as he leaned over her to read what she’d written, whispering suggestions in her ear.

I was so angry, it took all I had not to burst in and tear him away from her. But she seemed not to mind at all, as if this was totally acceptable behavior. I kept waiting for her to push him away, to use her infamous martial arts skills to twist the offending arm behind his back. But nothing.

Eventually I had to leave, but all evening as I played with Nadia and got her ready for bed, all I could think about was the way his hand rested on her shoulder, the comfortable way she leaned closer to hear his whispered suggestions.

It’s eating me alive and yet I can’t confront her about it without revealing the fact that I spied on her. I wish I had never seen it.

Day 3267: I can’t stop myself. I’m obsessed with spying on them. Perry has partnered them more and more lately. Apparently he thinks they make a good team. WE are a good team. We’ve been a team for nearly nine years and now suddenly he wants to pair Lois with someone else?

Now every time they are together I find myself wondering what they are doing, whether he’s touching her, whether he’s laying the groundwork to seduce her.

I know I’m crazy. She’s my wife and I trust her. But we’ve been fighting like crazy lately and I just can’t help but wonder if she’s pushing me away because she’s found someone new. She’s complaining about all the time I’m spending as Superman, and I can’t help but wonder if she isn’t thinking about how much easier it would be to be married to someone who only has to juggle one identity.

Day 3301: Lois is spending the night at Lucy’s. We had a huge fight, a knock-down, drag-out, screaming fight. I accused her of being attracted to The Jerk and flirting with him. She accused me of not trusting her. And then I screwed up and said something I couldn’t have known without spying on her. And then she was silent. And the silence was much scarier than the yelling.

Finally she just looked at me with these sad, pitying eyes and said, “I can’t believe you’d spy on me.”

And then she was gone. Lucy called later to let me know that Lois and Nadia were spending the night there. I offered to let them come back here, told her I’d go somewhere else if she didn’t want to see me. But Lucy said Lois didn’t want to be here right now, didn’t want to speak to me, and that I should respect her wishes and wait for her to call me.

I want more than anything to fly over there, to try to apologize and explain. Or at least see for myself that they are okay. But that would be the worst thing I could do right now, I think. So instead I’m stuck here waiting.

Day 3303: She finally agreed to come home, but only if I’m not there. So for tonight at least I’m staying with my parents, whose disappointment in me shows every time they ask how I’m doing or if I’ve heard from Lois.

She has agreed to sit down with me tomorrow and talk this out. Lucy has agreed to watch Nadia. I don’t even know what to say. I know it was wrong, but I just felt so powerless. I was so afraid that she was going to be wooed by him and forget about me. And I don’t know how to tell her that without hurting her worse than I already have.

Lois stopped reading for a minute, trying to stem the flow of memories that were assaulting her. That conversation had been one of the hardest of her life. Knowing that her husband didn’t trust her enough to take her at her word when she said there was nothing going on between her and ‘Mr. Pulitzer’ had been devastating. After nearly seven years of marriage, after all they’d been through when he’d told her the truth about his secret identity, she’d hoped never to have to have a conversation like the one they had that day.

Eventually they had worked things out, but it had taken months to heal. And it had taken a great deal of work; a conscious effort by both of them to be more open about their feelings and to reconnect. Clark had promised to cut down on the time he spent as Superman, and Lois had promised to spend more time focusing on their relationship as a couple and not just as parents. They had even gone away for a long weekend together, leaving Nadia with his parents.

When they returned, things were much better. The settled back into their lives together, happy once again. And a year later, they’d decided to start the paperwork to adopt another baby, completing their family. They went through the same agency, updating all their information and submitting themselves to the home visits once again. The decided to adopt from the same orphanage and that this time they would take Nadia back with them on the first visit so that she could see where she spent the first year of her life.

Again they were matched with a little girl, one who looked so much like her big sister the could have easily been biological siblings. And once again they’d decided to let her keep her birth name, Anastasia.

Nadia, who remembered nothing of her life in Russia, had been fascinated with the strange, cold land. But she’d been far more fascinated with the baby whose name she mangled until her parents suggested she call her Anya. She had been devastated when they weren’t allowed to bring Anya home immediately and spent the entire next two weeks at home asking what Anya was doing and when she would arrive.

Luckily having Grandma and Grandpa Kent all to herself while her parents were taking their fourth trip to Russia distracted her slightly. But still each night when they called home to check on her, she asked about her baby sister. And when she greeted them at the airport, she’d brought along a stuffed dog she’d selected herself.

The following year had been a growing experience for all them, most of all Nadia who, though she adored her little sister, had to learn to share both her toys and the attention of her parents. And unlike most children who are introduced their siblings and have a year of getting used to their presence before they become too much of a pain, Nadia’s little sister arrived almost fully mobile, crawling and getting into everything.

It had been an exciting year and a fulfilling one, watching their daughters grow together. She’d worried first that they should adopt a boy the second time around. She didn’t want Clark to regret having a son the way her father had. But to her surprise, Clark had insisted he’d rather have another daughter. Nadia was certainly Daddy’s little girl, and he longed for that relationship with his second child as well.

And neither of them had regretted that decision. Anya fit so perfectly into their family that they couldn’t have chosen a baby more perfect for them. Finally they felt that their family was complete.

Lois glanced at the book in her hand and felt her stomach drop.

And now she’d risked it all.

After years of healing and repairing their trust in one another, she’d thrown it all away for her curiosity’s sake. How could he ever forgive her for reading his personal diary as if it were a cheap paperback novel?

Disgusted with herself she threw the book back on the dresser. She walked back to the bathroom and shed her robe, exchanging it for comfortable flannel pajama pants and a t-shirt. She ran a comb through her mostly-dry hair and sighed deeply before turning off the lights and crawling into the bed.

As she lay there, her mind raced, imaging what Clark would say when she confessed. For a second she considered hiding the book back in the coat and pretending she'd never found it, but she knew she needed to be straight with him. Lying would only compound her error. She could picture so vividly the wounded look in her eyes. Her tears felt warm on her cheeks she finally fell asleep.

She awoke to strong arms slipping around and a warm weight pressing against her back. She stirred, still groggy, her eyes scratchy from crying herself to sleep. A quick glance at the bedside clock told her it was just before dawn.

“I’ll make it up to you, I promise.”

His whispered words tore at her heart and once again tears began to fall.

“Lois?”

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to. It was just there, and I was so curious, and I knew I shouldn’t and I tried to stop myself but then it was too late and I just thought, well, I didn’t think obviously, because if I had been thinking at all, I would have realized-”

“Lois. Lois, stop. What are you talking about?” Clark had untangled his arms from around her body and managed to sit up.

She too sat up, turning to face him. She took a deep breath, reminding herself that she’d committed herself to tell him the truth. She gestured to the small leather book on the dresser. “Your diary. I found it. It was in your suit coat, and when I went to hang it up, it fell on the floor. I picked it up and I know that once I realized what it was, I should have put it aside and not read it. And I tried, I really did. But I just...couldn’t help myself. I’m so so sorry.”

She hung her head, unable to meet his gaze.

“Lois.” His voice didn’t hold the disgust or disappointment she’d expected to hear. Instead, he sounded almost amused. Confused, she looked up and saw that he was smiling. “You didn’t read all of it, did you?”

“Yes, I-” she stopped for a second, considering. “No, I guess I didn’t. I read up until about two years ago.”

He got up and retrieved the book, then crawled back into bed and handed it to her. “Finish it.”

“No!” she protest. “I don’t want to. I know it was wrong, it’s bad enough-”

“Lois, just trust me. Finish it.”

She looked at him skeptically, but urged on by his relaxed demeanor, she turned and switched on her bedside lamp, then flipped through the pages until she found the spot where she left off.

She read his version of their reconciliation, then his memories of their second adoption. She smiled as he described the joy of watching their daughters play together. Then suddenly she looked up, startled. Clark smiled and nodded at the book. “Read it.”

Day 4422: Dear Lois,

I can’t tell you how sorry I am that I am about to ruin our date tonight. I’ve been looking forward to this day for so long. I know you’re angry, and you have every right to be, but I wouldn’t be the man you married if I let people suffer while I sat through a fancy dinner. I’ll make it up to you, I promise.

In the meantime, I’ve left you this book to read. It’s not a fancy gift, but it was the only way I knew to show you just how much you’ve changed my life, and how thankful I am for your love. You have been the most wonderful thing in my life, not just for the past ten years, but for the past 4422 days.

I hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Our journey wasn’t always easy, but I would relive any part of it again, just to be with you.
I love you more than anything.

Love, Clark

She looked up, tears in her eyes.

“I didn’t mean to upset you. It never occurred to me that you wouldn’t finish it.”

“What made you so sure I would read it at all?”

Clark cocked an eyebrow. “Are we talking about the same woman here? Because no way would my wife find something so intriguing and just sit it on the dresser without reading it. Your curiosity and tenaciousness are two of the things I love most about you, Lois. They always have been.”

“You’re really not angry that I read it?”

“I’m really not angry. I’m sorry you thought I would be. I should have put the note on top. It didn’t even occur to me. And I thought it would be fun, to let you think that you ‘found’ it, only to discover at the end that I left it for you.”

“Pretty tricky, Farmboy.”

Clark opened his arms and she rushed forward, grateful to be in his embrace. “I love you, Lois.”

“I love you too, Clark.”

The pulled apart just far enough to look at each other, and Clark’s hand slid up to cup her cheek. Their lips met gently, familiar after so many years of kisses. Still, Lois felt her heart race as Clark deepened the kiss, time making her feelings grow only deeper.

“Mama? Daddy?”

The pulled apart and found both girls standing in their doorway, clad in their matching red and white pajamas.

“Did he come yet?”

Lois looked at Clark, who nodded. “He sure did,” Clark said with a grin. “I heard sleigh bells just a bit ago.”

“SANTA CLAUS!” Nadia shouted, turning on her heel and bolting toward the living room.

“SANNA CAUS!” Anya repeated, taking off after her sister.

“We’d better catch them before they rip open everything,” Lois said sliding out of bed.

Clark did the same, reaching the doorway first, diary still in his hand after picking it up off the bed. He stopped, and turned back to face Lois, tossing her the book.

She caught it reflexively, but looked at him confusedly waiting for an explanation.

“Check out the last page.”

She opened the book, flipping through and looking for where she’d left off.

“No, the very last page.”

She looked at him strangely, but followed his request.

Day 19032: Our 50th Anniversary! What a beautiful day -- I can’t wait to write this entry.

Lois couldn’t stop the grin that spread across her face. She looked up and found her husband smiling too. “Merry Christmas, Lois.”

“Merry Christmas, Clark.”

“MOM! DAD! Come look what Santa brought us!”

Lois rolled her eyes and set the book back on the dresser before taking Clark’s outstretched hand and allowing him to lead her down the hall to join their daughters at the Christmas tree.

The End

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen