I put 12 with a ? mark because I am honestly not very motivated to finish this up the way I wanted too. It's a little upseting to see only two comments from two people in 2 weeks. frown

I understand it's Kerth time and many people read and don't place feedback. I must admit I am kind of a feedback junkie. This means the more I get from you, the faster these parts come and the more motivated I am to write.

I know I haven't been around and commenting myself so I have placed the link to the reasons why and a link to the table of contents of this story. Just in case you want to start on this story or catch up. smile

Again, please let me know what you think and if there is anything you want or that could be better. I take all comments as constructive. Really, I don't bite. wink

Enough of my babble, time for the story! Enjoy! smile

Reasons For Leaving/ Not Posting

Table of Contents for What Is True?

From Part 5

“What am I suppose to do? Let people die just because I am having an intimate discussion with my girlfriend?” Clark yelled. He was breathing heavily and he felt angry tears prick the back of his eyes. He thought she was ready to discuss this logically. How come all she could do was fire accusations at him?

“Clark, I…” Lois was interrupted by the sound of a small explosion in the distance. She didn’t need super vision to see that a nearby farmhouse had caught on fire. Suddenly the argument was forgotten and Lois was looking deep into Clark’s eyes, begging him to see what needed to be done.

“Go” she whispered.

“Lois, I can hear the fire department on the way, its okay.”

“No it’s not. I know that if you don’t go over right now to see if you are needed, you’ll never forgive yourself. Please, go.”

“Wake my mom and dad up. It’s the Irigs home. They might need some help getting all the animals to safety.” With one quick turn, Clark was Superman. He looked at Lois one last time, almost with a sense of pride, and bolted toward the blazing house.

Part 6

Only the back of the Irig house was on fire when Superman arrived at the scene. Wayne and his wife were already safely outside the home but the animals were a different story. The center of the blaze seemed to be coming from the barn. Hot pieces of it were on fire, flying in the gusty night air like volcanic ash. Clark new he had to cool off some of the blaze before he could help whatever animals were left inside.

Acting quickly, he used super breath on the sides of the barn to avoid a collapse. The roof was already too far gone to salvage so Superman did his best minimize the fire. When the fire department showed up, Clark knew it was a losing battle, so he let the firemen hose off the barn, while he ran inside. Hot ash and flames licked his cape, forcing the hero to quickly remove it. With his cape gone, Superman ran deeper in the barn searching for any possible sign off life. What he saw sickened him. There were dead animal corpuses, strewn out all over the barn floor. He tried desperately to hear a heart beat of any kind over the roaring fire but he knew he was too late. To some, they would just be animals but to Superman, they were still living beings and had just as much right to be saved as any human.

Superman exited the now smoking barn. The firemen had put out the back of house and most of the barn flames. He nodded to the firemen who nodded back, not asking what Superman was doing in Smallville. This next part was what Clark hated the most about his Superman duties, telling someone about a loss of any kind. It pained him to see the look of despair on people’s faces and trying not to look lost himself. It would even be harder tonight with Lois and his parents standing by the Irigs. As Superman approached the group, he noticed that Wayne and his wife were covered in his mother’s quilts and sipping some sort of liquid.

Going right up to Wayne, looking like hell, Superman told him that all the animals had been lost and that it didn’t look like the barn was worth repairing. Wayne simply nodded and pulled his wife close to him. She sobbed against her husband’s chest muttering ‘why, why?’ over and over. Clark couldn’t bear to be there anymore. To see his neighbors like this was more traumatic than any rescue he had performed so far. He walked over to his parents and Lois, to give the Irigs a moment to compose them selves. Jonathan approached Clark first.

“Superman? What happened?”

“I wasn’t able to save them, any of them. They were all just…”Clark shook his head, trying to put on his Superman face. The same tears that clouded his eyes during his fight with Lois were back. This time they were sad tears and he could feel a strong lump forming in his throat. He looked down to compose himself and when he looked up, Lois was there.

“It is okay, Superman. You did what you could.” A little lower she whispered “We are very proud of you.”

That line was enough to stabilize Clark. He gave Lois a half smile which was more in Clark character than in Superman character. At that moment the Irigs approached the circle, Wayne looking tired and lost with Mrs. Irig still tucked under his arm.

“Superman, I don’t know what you doing here in this town, but thanks all the same. Also to you as well Martha and Jonathan.”

“Wayne, we’ll help you rebuild” offered Jonathan.

“If you need a place to stay…” Martha asked.

“The fire men say the house is safe, despite the back porch blaze, and really thanks to Superman. We will be thankful to lie in our own bed again tonight.” Wayne shook Clark’s hand and then he and his wife went over to the fire chief to assess the barn damage. The four stared at the charred barn for what seemed like hours before slowly, and quietly leaving the Irig property.

It was now three in the morning and sleep still failed Clark. His parents went back to bed and he had showered to get the smell of smoke and raw animal off his skin. When he went into his bedroom to change, Clark expected Lois to be asleep in his bed again. Instead, the bed covers were wrinkled but there was no Lois in site. After putting on boxers and a t-shirt, he went downstairs and found Lois, sprawled out over the couch. He knew she took it so he could get some rest on a nice bed but Clark wasn’t tired, wasn’t awake, wasn’t anything. He was just blank inside, void of all emotion, all feeling. He felt like crap before going into the fire and he came back out in much worse shape. Now Clark was sitting on the front porch stair, staring at the dark shadow that was once the Irig barn.

That farm was always so full of life. The calves were born there every spring; the horses and goats would come out and graze. It was such a happy place. Clark loved it as a child because the Irig’s raised chickens for their meat and not their eggs so he got to see the little babies hatch. Just the memory of holding that soft, little, yellow chick brought tears to his eyes. If he hadn’t been so lost in his thoughts, Lois’ sudden presence would not have startled him.

“Sorry.” Lois spoke softly. “Are you okay? I was really worried about you back there.”
Clark glared at Lois and didn’t care what he looked like to her anymore. Hero or weakling, he felt so low right now, nothing mattered. “No, I’m not.”

Lois surprised him by sitting down next to him and gently rubbing his back “Do you want to talk?”

Clark turned away, “Lois, I am in no mood to continue our previous discussion in any way, shape…”

Lois placed two fingers on his lips. “I came here to ask if you want to talk about tonight.” She took her fingers off his lips and stroked his check. “Tonight, just be true and talk to me.”

Clark looked down at his hands and was silent. When he came back up to face Lois, tears were streaming down his face. Without a word, Lois pulled Clark into her arms and he buried his face into her hair and neck. Clark’s quiet tears soon became ragged sobs that shook Lois to tears. She felt upset too because Clark was hurting before he went into the fire and after what he saw in that barn; Lois shuddered at the thought, making Clark sit up to look at her. He saw a gentle tear roll down her face and he brushed it with his thumb.

“I think I should ask if you’re okay.” Clark sniffed.

Lois looked at him for a second. She wasn’t going to lie to Clark anymore about her feelings. If they cried, they would be their true, vulnerable selves together. Lois then spoke in the smallest voice that Clark was sure only a man like him could hear.

“Cry with me.”

Clark didn’t need to be asked twice. He pulled Lois close to his body and she curled into his chest. Lois brought Clark’s head back to the cradle of her neck. Once in that secure position, holding on to each other, they gave in. Lois and Clark sobbed for their fight earlier, for the Irig’s and their loss but mostly for each other. Neither one could stand to see the other in pain so all they could do was cry. The tears didn’t seem to stop and Lois and Clark were not letting go.

To Be Continued...

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."