Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27998 02/21/06 01:38 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I haven't written anything in months, but two weeks ago, this idea popped into my head... and when I finally got a chance to sit down and start writing, the whole thing came pouring out.

I hope you enjoy smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#27999 02/21/06 02:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Pam, you gave me two shocks with this story. My first thought at reading your title was that you might quit writing altogether, then only seconds after this one was temporarily forgotten you wham'ed me again with Lois and Clark breaking up.

In the end you came through for your readers with a happy ending - a new concept by getting both of them secret identities though wink

Thanks for posting this.

#28000 02/21/06 03:29 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, Pam, what a wonderfully lovely, WaFFy wrap-up! (Or continuation, as I hope you continue this series!) I really enjoyed reading the three earlier installments as well.

I have to admit, this one had me a little worried at first:
I'd had such high hopes.

I glance sideways at Clark, who's sitting nearby, looking at his hands. He's wearing his Superman suit and his Superman face; no wayward emotions will be breaking through. He's not really happy with this decision -- I'm not really that happy with it myself -- but he'll back me up.
But then we find it's all a ruse (thank goodness!) and then there's this:
"You can marry anyone you like," he says, trying not to grin. "As long as it's me."

I laugh. "Fair enough." We haven't seriously talked about marriage, but it's looking like a foregone conclusion, and that's okay by me.
Thanks for sharing this, Pam — such a great read, and I hope there'll be more in the future!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
#28001 02/21/06 08:12 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ugh, I totally thought they were breaking up. thumbsup

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#28002 02/21/06 10:13 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have to agree with everyone else, and particularly with Bettina. You scared me! First I thought you were telling us that you were retiring as an LNC writer yourself, then I thought that it was Lois Lane who was retiring and breaking up with Clark Kent. What a relief that neither was true!

And what an enjoyable story! I was alternately holding my breath and giggling. This little snippet appealed to me immensely:
I'm careful not to touch my face, or even move much. My hair's been styled meticulously, and I've got a microphone attached to my collar with a wire running down to the concealed power pack at my waist.
Wow, Pam, reading this I could just see the too-perfectly-styled for words TV people, and especially the elegant TV women, who have been so sprayed and touched up and reined in and wrapped up and almost-enough-to-make-the-breasts-tumble-out unbuttoned that they can hardly make the slightest movement at all without making their carefully applied facade crack all open. What a relief it was to see Lois regaining herself and the use of her body as she slipped out of that TV studio to meet Clark waiting outside:
I takes a while to extract myself from the studio. I promise to call Molly sometime soon -- and apologize for the deception. Skipping the dressing room, I head for the bathroom, where I scrub off my make-up, change clothes, put my hair up in a pony-tail and put on a baseball cap. Now that's over, I feel fairly cheerful.
Wow! I felt so relieved reading this, as if Lois was making a most well-deserved jail-break as she scrubbed and peeled off the TV makeup as well as her by now sadly constricting Lois Lane persona. And now she is free to find a new life for herself with her loved one:

He pulls me close and murmurs, "Going up." Before he's done saying it, we're at cloud height.
Wow! And now listen to this delightful, waff-inducing dialogue:
He looks at me for a moment, then kisses me until I can't think straight. Finally he pulls back and says, "I love you. Whatever your name is."

"I love you, too. Whatever your name is. What is it, by the way?"

"I decided to go with Joe Spencer." He grins. "It seemed very... ordinary. I'll go get the fake ID later, after you sign the lease on your new place."

"Yeah, you 'd better get legal," I tease. "When Lyn's green card expires, she might need to get married in order to stay in the country."

"You can marry anyone you like," he says, trying not to grin. "As long as it's me."
How sweet, Pam! And how beautifully written. You put a smile on my face. Now I'm looking forward to more stories from you! clap

Ann

#28003 02/22/06 06:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok, so they are going to ride off into the sunset...But, they are going to need a base of operations. Clark,er, Joe, just can't give up helping people!

There needs to be another story!!!!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#28004 02/22/06 07:19 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I liked all four of your stories. I like how you write them in first person. In the first story, I didn't realize at first that Lyn was Lois, so I wasn't quite happy that she convinced Clark to go to dinner with her, but I liked her way of checking to see if Clark was an obsessed nut or not.

As for this particular story, you had me going initially, thinking that Lois was leaving Clark, but I'm glad they are both happy together.

I too am wondering where you'll go with this, because it is in Clark's nature to help, so will they stay in Metropolis? Will they report under there new names? - If so, won't people recognize their writing styles and put two and two together?
Unless Lois changes her look again, won't she be recognized on the street?

On the other hand, if they leave Metropolis and Superman leaves too, won't people just see who's new where he pops up again?

Thanks for writing!

Cheryl

#28005 02/22/06 09:24 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I thought it was just me! I, too, thought you were done writing altogether! But, alas... you are not laugh

Okay and I see angelic_editor beat me to this, but this was just the best line, I had to quote it:

I laugh. "Fair enough." We haven't seriously talked about marriage, but it's looking like a foregone conclusion, and that's okay by me.
I loved this series, and this was a great way to end it - with that evil ruse that had me worried, followed by a nice happily ever after!! thumbsup

So you must prove to all of us you haven't quit writing (even though we immediately realized it was not the case) and write more SOON! wink

~NICOLE smile

#28006 02/22/06 10:00 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
clap

#28007 02/22/06 10:36 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
When I first heard the title yesterday, I went, "uh oh, that sounds ominous." I should know by now that you would have a happy ending.

Lovely story and a fitting ending to the quadrilogy. smile

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#28008 02/22/06 02:29 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Cute story but sad. thumbsup

MAF

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#28009 02/22/06 03:14 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I had a little bit more faith in you than some as far as the story went, but I will admit I first did wonder if the big goodbye was some sort of "farewell to the troops". Thank goodness it wasn't.

Great story. I often wondered at the end of the third segment how that relationship would really work out with them so in the public eye. I like the wrap up. Sad as it is to see Clark Kent and Lois Lane cease to exist, they are, after all, just names.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#28010 02/22/06 04:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really, really liked this, Pam! It's just what Lois and Clark needed. They have to have a life away from the public eye, and this will give it to them. Really nicely done, and the perfect ending. I just loved this line:

Perfect! thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#28011 02/22/06 10:08 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Pam

I love this series and this is an excellent addition. smile1 I love it.

Tricia cool

#28012 02/23/06 04:46 AM
SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Pam,

Your id name suits you.

I bow to the chief for another wonderful story.

I hope that you will consider graciusly doing a follow up on the lives of Lyn and Joe.

Regards,

SNL

#28013 02/24/06 07:13 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Thought Lois would really leave Metropolis and Superman behind
But then remembered all the WAFF there was in all your previous stuff
And I realized, you wouldn't ruin this happy sight
Oh I was right
So very right
The show was over and then Lyn and Joe could go on with their lives
I was so happy that they did
I was so very happy, indeed
Forward I look, to another segment in this book...

Sorry, the first couple of lines just sprang to my mind and wouldn't leave until I finished my fdk in this fashion blush

See ya + keep up the good work!
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#28014 02/25/06 01:14 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL, Anna, I like your new lyrics to the song. Oh-oh, now I'll keep humming it, all day! laugh

Pam, this was a great solution for our AltClark and his Lois Lane. A whole new start. Knowing those two, they will make it everywhere! thumbsup

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#28015 02/25/06 04:27 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Wow, such a nice response! I've been smiling for days now smile

I'm sorry to have scared you with the idea that I had stopped writing -- it never even occurred to me that anyone might think that. For the record, I don't do big flouncy farewells. It's too embarrassing, later, when you change your mind. Sometimes I go for long periods without being inspired for L&C fic, but I never know when I'll get interested again.

On the other hand, I meant to scare you with the idea that Lois was leaving Clark goofy I'm glad you like the first person present-tense POV -- it's unusual and some people hate it, but it does give a "you are there" feeling that you can't get otherwise. It's also quite useful in tricking the reader wink

Thanks for posting, Onaleia. It may not look like much but it's definitely better than nothing, and I appreciate that. smile

When I first heard the title yesterday, I went, "uh oh, that sounds ominous." I should know by now that you would have a happy ending.
Yes, Roger, you should know that by now! But that's okay; I worked hard to worry you.

Cute story but sad.
Maria, glad you found it cute, sorry you found it sad... but it's an alt-universe fic, and they're kind of sad by definition, since Clark's life was so entirely re-arranged.

I often wondered at the end of the third segment how that relationship would really work out with them so in the public eye. I like the wrap up. Sad as it is to see Clark Kent and Lois Lane cease to exist, they are, after all, just names.
Yeah, Rachel -- like Lois, I'd hoped it would work out, but such is life. Err, fiction.

Thanks, Wendy, for taking time out of your busy vacation schedule to read and post! smile Hope you and the gang are having a fabulous time!

Tricia, I *love* getting comments from you, since you're so encouraging. Thanks!

SNL, the "chief" part actually was a play on "chief editor," way back when, but I'm glad you think it still applies! laugh And I'm not ruling out another story, but nothing's clicking for me yet.

Sorry, the first couple of lines just sprang to my mind and wouldn't leave until I finished my fdk in this fashion
ROFL, Anna -- I think that's the most creative feedback I've ever gotten! And thanks for the kind words/lyrics!

Pam, this was a great solution for our AltClark and his Lois Lane. A whole new start. Knowing those two, they will make it everywhere!
That's what I figured, Ursie. This is a Lois with some experience at the "secret identity" thing, after all. And I like being different... there for a while, I didn't see any point in continuing this series, when Nan was doing such a good job with her alt-universe stories. So I was happy to think of a new direction to go in.

Thanks again to all of you for commenting; it's reassuring to know I can still please a crowd smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#28016 02/25/06 04:45 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Pam, you know as well as I do that in this fandom there are a lot of similar story lines -- but the stories come out completely differently. People want to see what happens to your Alt-Lois and Clark as much or more as they want to see what happens to mine. There is no end to the entertainment value of the things that can happen. I hope you continue this particular set of characters. It would be a shame not to see them get to the ultimate happy ending.

Now, back to struggling with my latest ...

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#28017 02/25/06 06:52 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yeah, I know that, Nan... just for a while there, I couldn't come up with any plot ideas that seemed fresh enough to work with.

Did you know, btw, that I wrote the first one after reading your Christmas vacation story? You were doing a great job having alt-Clark explain all that she'd missed to alt-Lois, but then I wondered, what if he didn't *have* to explain much, because she's been watching him from afar? So then I was off and running.

Consider yourself nagged on your latest story, btw, no matter which one it is wink

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard