Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It's great that you keep posting so frequently and give us such long parts. I must confess, though, that this is not quite as much up my alley as the first two parts were - I'm not that much into this creepy stuff. So I won't do any quoting this time, except for one thing:
"Nuts! How come the guys on the TV cop shows get better results than I do with you?"

"Because they have more equipment, more external evidence, and better-paid writers."

"Not funny, Doc."
Not funny??? Terry, on a comedy scale from one to ten, that one sure gets a score of eleven! rotflol

Apart from that, most of this part is ominous and creepy. And we definitely have a suspect here. Major Vukovich. She is the one who interferes as soon as Lois starts yelling at Claude in part two, right after he has tried to tell her something important. When Vukovich interferes, Claude immediately backs off, saying, "I will see both of you later, perhaps", thereby implying that not only Lois is important to him, but quite possibly Vukovich, too. And she immediately identifies him as the station's resident Casanova, adding:
I also know that he thinks he's Earth's gift to all spacewomen.
Note that she said all spacewomen. Wouldn't that include herself? Doesn't it seem likely that Claude might have made a pass at her? And she, possibly not the most attractive of women, might have been flattered and taken him up on his offer, but then things might have turned sour. We may suspect they often do when Claude is involved.

And now consider. Vukovich might have had her heart broken by Claude. She wants to kill him, pure and simple. And lo and behold, Lois Lane makes her entrance and starts hurling death threats at Claude in public. So what have we got here, if not another irate female whom Major Vukovich can blame for Claude's death?

And consider what Vukovich says about possible suspects:
Right now, I can't rule out anyone but myself.
No? How convienient that you can rule out yourself, though, Major Vukovich. Wouldn't all murderers like to be able to do that?

And then Vukovich places a chain around Lois's neck to prevent her from leaving the space station. She reads all her e-mails and makes sure she can't write any uncensored messages to anyone on Earth again, certainly not to Clark.

We should note, too, that Claude didn't struggle when someone put that noose around his neck and tied his arms with duct tape. The only reasonable explanation is that this tying-up thing was part of a sex game, and we know that Claude had had sex - with a woman - before he died. Sorry for being so gross here, but maybe that female doctor, Dr. Fujima, should be checking out Major Vukovich's body for traces of Claude's sperm?

Like I said, Terry, this is borderline too creepy for me. Suddenly I wish there weren't so many parts left. Remember those two intolerable rollercoaster rides I told you about - are you planning to make us go through something equally bad, I wonder?

Ann

P.S. Guess there is one other possible suspect. That other female "crater" - the other one apart from Lois, that is - what was her name, Becky? At least she would have duct tape to spare. But she seemed too nice and easy-going to kill anybody, didn't she?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I love how Lois and Clark are still the perfect team, even when one of them is aboard a spaceship! thumbsup

--- As you say, Major Vukovich. Please have Lois respond as soon as possible. I’ll be waiting beside my computer until then.

Lois nodded to herself and clicked the ‘reply’ button.

--- Clark, this is Lois. There’s been a murder aboard the Prometheus, the first one ever, according to Major Vukovich. The victim is Claude Guilliot, and yes, he’s THAT Claude. We’re almost completely certain it isn’t suicide, but we don’t have much more yet. Claude was posing as a computer tech, and we need you to find out why he was up here in the first place. There has to be money behind it. We’ll send more information as soon as we can verify it.
Very creative and very clever! I like it! smile smile

Lois lifted her eyebrows again. “I thought you were a rookie at this, Karen.”

“I’m not fully trained but I’m also not stupid. As soon as we realized Claude was dead, we sealed his room and put a sergeant inside to fully examine the contents.” She took a big swig and swallowed. “One note in the station’s favor is that we didn’t have to wait for a search warrant.”

“And you found what?” Lois prompted.

“It looked like he’d had a party in there the night before. There was evidence of a female guest on the sheets and his clothes were all there.
Oooh... a female guest!!! If he treated her anything like he treated Lois, we might have the prime suspect would-be-murderer on our hands finally!!! RIGHT??!?!? Also, I really enjoyed getting to know Karen more in this part and the developing relationship between her and Lois. Hmm... but maybe SHE'S the killer.... and she's just pretending to uncover clues. Maybe SHE was the female guest!!!! Ooh, this is just like playing CLUE! laugh

More soon please smile

~NICOLE

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Terry, I've just got to come back here and comment on the title of your story, because I've just realized how brilliant it is! In 1980, when I was twenty-five, I read Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff. It's about America's first seven astronauts ever, who were the heroes of the so-called Project Mercury and who were sent into space - really only Earth orbit - in the very early sixties. What I seem to remember of that book - which isn't much - is that the astronauts felt a constant need to prove how tough and indestructible they were. I believe Tom Wolfe said that one way they did this was by drinking heavily and making a point of how unaffected they were by all this alcohol! With my religious background, where alcohol was a definite no-no, I was shocked. (Ah, but being able to hold their liquor was certainly only one of the requirements these astronauts had to meet. They had to be less than 40 years old, less than 5 feet 11 inches tall and they had to be in excellent physical condition. They had to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent, be a test-pilot school graduate, have a minimum of 1,500 hours flying time, and be a qualified jet pilot. The right stuff, you know.)

Now consider Lois! Less than 40 years old - check. Less than 5 feet 11 inches - check. Excellent physical condition - check. But a bachelor's degree in engineering? Test-pilot school graduate? A minimum of 1,500 hours flying time? A qualified jet pilot? No, no, no and no. But she is a most excellent reporter. A tough and brave astronaut reporter - the write stuff! Brilliant, Terry!

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
Oh this just gets more interesting. I love mysteries (as my Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie collection can attest) and you are plotting this one wonderfully.

I am not going to attempt to guess the killer (though others have done so wonderfully) because I like the surprise. I don't like to figure it out before it's revealed...takes the fun out. I will say that the Major is looking slightly suspicious though wink

Anyway, I am really enjoying this fic. Keep those updated coming! thumbsup

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

The mystery deepens. wink

My first thought was a sex-crime, and I'm thinking that was perhaps how Claude was lured into a false sense of security. Yet, I don't think that was the motive.

Claude was on the space station undercover, so I'd say he was after a story, and I still remember that he whispered something to Lois which she was too shocked to understand. Did Claude try to warn Lois not to blow his cover?

And is the fact that Lois' occupation was mis-typed really just an inconsequential error?
Maybe it's a good thing. It might keep her safe for the moment.

I have lots of questions and I hope you're going to give us answers. Can't wait for the next part.

Yours Jenni

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. grumble Lois need Superman to check the crime scene.

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard