From Part 1

Lois looked down at the last sentence she wrote; I hope if it’s not that way for you… How could she wrap this up? Lois scratched her head with the tip of the pen and then placed it back to the paper.

I really just hope it’s not. You will never see this letter so what does it matter? Why do I even bother?

Then it dawns on me, I bother because I care and love you. I love you more than all the stars in heaven and all the little grains of sand on the shore. I will love you till the deserts fill with water and the snowy mountains melt away. I will love you till the end, no matter what.

Thanks for being my best friend.

Thanks for filling my life with a light I never thought I would see.

Thanks for being Clark.

I love you.

Forever and for Always,

Lois

She read it over. She read it over for what seemed like a thousand times and then quickly capped the pen, switched off the desk light, and retreated to her room. She slumped into bed and started to cry. At first, her tears were soft and her voice quiet but soon that erupted into strong sobs and labored breathing. The last thing she could remember was hugging a pillow close to her chest, whispering, “I’m loving in vain, I’m truly loving in vain.”

End of Part 1

Part 2

Clark Kent arrived at about 8:30 the next morning to Lois’ apartment door. After several knocks and no answer, his investigative skills took over and Clark pulled out the spare key Lois had given him for her apartment. A couple twists later, Clark was standing in the middle of the living room. With no sign of Lois ready or even up yet, Clark decided to investigate further.

He saw nothing unusual about the set up of her home. Everything was in order except the desk. The desk looked like someone was rummaging through it in the dark. The only things on it that had been used were a pen, a few pieces of paper and a glass of water that was half full.

Clark looked closer at the paper. There was a lot of cursive on it that matched Lois’ hand writing. He was trying to fight off his instincts to read it, knowing Lois valued her privacy but it was too late. The first lines caught Clark’s attention.

I am one of the best writers in Metropolis and words fail me when I think of you Your smile, your eyes and disarming personality put me into a place which I can’t describe. It’s beyond love and joy, its heaven. You put me in such a peaceful state and mind set I don’t know now what I would do without you.

I love you Clark.’

Clark could barely breathe, he could barley move. What ever possessed her to write this? How long had she harbored this secret from him? Clark’s heart was now in full control. He picked up the rest of the papers and began to read. He read every line like they unlocked secrets leading to the ultimate treasure. As Clark kept on reading, he was taken back when he read the line,

If it weren’t for that unconditional kindness and tolerance for me, I don’t think I would have it for you and your excuses lately. However, I know you are much more than that.

Superman, Clark thought grimly to himself. That was the one thing that was really keeping them apart. Clark knew that telling Lois would be wonderful and would get a load off his chest. But if Lois really knew, could she handle the truth? Clark shook his head and kept reading. His emotions were kept in check pretty well until the line,

I love you more than all the stars in heaven and all the little grains of sand on the shore. I will love you till the deserts fill with water and the snowy mountains melt away. I will love you till the end, no matter what.

At this, Clark’s bravo broke and he let his tears fall freely. As he wept softly he noticed dry tear marks next to his fresh ones. Lois had been crying to.

“Oh Lois,” he whispered aloud. Clark finished the letter quickly and placed it back on the desk in the same order Lois had left it in. “I wasn’t suppose to read you,” he scolded.

At that moment, Clark hated himself. He was always keeping secrets from Lois. She was in such emotional turmoil and he was determined not to do this to her anymore. He loved her too much to hide the truth. Lois had to know. Everything.

Just then, Clark’s super hearing kicked in and at first he thought his secret identity was going to make him run away once more. Clark listened harder and realized it was a soft murmur. It was coming from Lois in the bedroom. Clark sighed and peaked in. Lois’ lower body was lost in a tangle of sheets but her upper body, wearing his t-shirt, could be clearly seen. Her soft, brown hair was slightly unruly and her cheeks were tinted red and engraved with dry tear marks. It seemed like it had taken Lois a long time to fall asleep by her appearance and the letter. Clark felt very guilty. He sat on the edge of her bed and extended his hand to cup her cheek. He gently stroked her face and pushed some hair out of her closed eyes. Lois was not in that deep of a sleep for Clark’s sudden touch made her stir.

Lois moaned and her eyes fluttered open. She was surprised to see Clark sitting by her side, all ready for work. Her surprise then changed into incredible sadness. Lois was still vulnerable in her sleepy state and began to cry.

“Clark,” she sobbed, “Oh God…I…I…”

Clark, understanding the shape she was in, immediately took Lois into his arms and held her close. Lois cried softly, burring herself into his sports jacket. Clark stroked her hair and rubbed her back.

“Shhh…it’s okay. I’m here for you.”

“For how long till you have to runaway again?” Lois jabbed.

Those words stung Clark like no Kryptonite ever could. Lois was right. It always seemed in her time of need, the rest of the world needed him to. The only trouble was that Lois didn’t know why Clark was leaving her. It didn’t help that his excuses were getting weaker and more obvious by the day.

“I won’t leave you now. You need me.”

This line didn’t comfort Lois, but only made her cry harder. Clark pulled Lois into his lap in order to hold her closer. Her sobs shook him and made Clark see that most of the pain Lois was going through right now was his fault.

“I’m sorry Lois,” was all Clark could think of to say “I truly am sorry.”

Lois cried until there were no tears left inside her. The only things she could do were utter stifled sobs and heart wrenching tugs on Clark’s shirt. When she was quiet, Clark spoke again.

“I never mean to leave.”

“Why do you?” Lois whispered

Clark took a big breath and began to speak. “I leave because I get called away to something. I have a job to do that sometimes helps those in need. I wasn’t going to tell you about this for awhile yet but…” Clark sighed, it’s now or never Kent.

“Lois I read your letter. I know I was never supposed to see it but not only did it help me focus on feelings I already had for you but it helped me to understand your right to know who I, Clark, really am.”

Lois looked up. “You read my letter?”

“I’m sorry I invaded your privacy. Since I found out about your secrets, it’s only fair I tell my biggest two.”

Lois eyes went wide.He’s going to tell me that he’s married, or he’s been parading around as a secret agent at night, or he’s a Martha Stewart fan.

“I’m in love with you but I’m not the only one. The other part of me is in love with you as well.”

Lois was puzzled by Clark’s second statement. “What do you mean ‘the other part of you’? What, do you have a dual identity or something?”

Clark looked very grim at her last statement. His body tightened up and he looked away. Lois knew something was wrong with Clark but was afraid to find out.

“Clark, why are you telling me all this now at 9:00 a.m.? Don’t feel you have to say or tell me something about yourself just because I poured my heart out into a letter.”

“Lois, you deserve an explanation,” Clark argued. “You deserve no more excuses. You deserve the truth which I haven’t been to keen on sharing with you until now. Your letter just made me see and understand things better. I have always had these secrets. I have always been in love with you. Your letter didn’t make me think those things up. Lois, your letter made me appreciate those things that I had been hiding for so long.”

Lois, who thought she had run out of tears, found fresh one clouding up her vision. “Oh, Clark, I don’t know what to say.”

“Don’t say anything, Lois. I have to go now.” Clark could hear a huge traffic accident on the freeway. The authorities were having a hard time getting to all the victims in the pile up. “Please, I beg you, don’t be mad. Just let it go one last time.” He gently removed Lois from his lap and placed her back in bed.

“Leave and see what happens Kent.” Lois growled. She had gone from touched to angry in about four seconds flat.

“Lois I have to but before I go, I’ll change.” Clark suddenly started to spin around and around until he was no longer dressed like Clark He was dressed exactly like…

“Superman? Clark…oh my God!”

“Lois we will talk when I get back, I just didn’t want to lie anymore. I’m sorry.” With that statement, Superman was gone in a flash leaving Lois more confused and emotionally drained than she had been the night before.

To Be Continued...

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."