Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Very cute, Nicole!! You managed to pack a decent amount of emotion into a small space. I'm actually going to keep myself from quoting lines because... I really would quote the whole thing and I'm also supposed to be doing homework. razz But lovely job on this!! clap

I love your writing, Nicole, so it was a real treat to have something short enough to read while I've been so busy.

Keep writing!! smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aww, that was really sweet, Nicole! (No pun intended.)

Great twist on a key moment. clap

Thanks for sharing! smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Clark!!! Didn't your Mom tell you it's not polite to listen in on girls' conversation? If you hear something you don't like, it serves you right for poking your super-ears where they don't belong.

And Sara? Have we met? Hi. I'm Ann. So, I was just wondering, were you asking Lois something? No, no reason, I was just wondering. Well, hrrmm - I'm sort of interested in Lois's love life, in trying to get her hooked up with the right guy, if you know what I mean blush - but don't tell her I said so. Well, gotta fly, see you later, maybe (if Nicole brings you back here...)
...me sneaks off, munching my favorite chocolate.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not to be punny, but that was really very sweet smile And bite-sized! goofy

Trouble is, of course, that one is left wanting more...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Enjoyed this. That part has always bugged me somewhat. It always seemed to me that, despite her confusion, Lois would have stood up for Clark more instead of just taking at face value some unknown character's assessment of the situation.

I'm glad in your story she realised chocolate was better anyway smile Nice job with this piece.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Kerth
Kerth
Sweet! smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That satisfied my sweet tooth...

Okay bad pun but you get the idea, cute story...

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a lovely vignette!

"You obviously don't know how much I love chocolate. Always have." ... "Always will."
*hearts*

Fabulous piece -- thanks for sharing it, Nicole.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm glad everyone else gets it. I'm sorry, but I don't. I don't have any context for this vignette, so I can't tell just what you're trying to say here.

Please don't take this as negative feedback. I'm merely confessing my ignorance. If you could let me know what has gone on just before this scene, I'm sure I'd be better able to appreciate it. As it stands, though, I really can't make heads or tails of it.

I'm sure it's my fault, or my lack of knowledge. Can anybody help this poor schlemeel?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Terry, you shouldn't feel ignorant by any means! I didn't make this connection until the second time I read through this vignette (at least, I'm hoping this is what we were supposed to infer) between Dan Scardino (i.e., Rocky Road) and Clark (i.e., chocolate).

Wow. For someone who pretends she has a good grasp of the English language, I've completely bungled that sentence. Apologies.

The point is — and I don't remember exactly which second-season episode it references, sorry — Lois was waffling between Dan and Clark and the ice cream analogy with Rocky Road and chocolate was definitely used. I thought Nicole's piece was a brilliant play on that.

And ... I'm rambling. Hope I've helped in some small measure, at least!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Well, I'll be darned! I tried going the scripts to answer your question, Terry, but I found another instance of the script not matching the episode.

Anyway, Sarah is a character from the episode "Target: Jimmy Olsen." She's a psychology major and likes to butt her nose into everyone's business, trying to analyse them. This is also an episode in which Lois is trying to decide between Dan Scardino and Clark. Sarah gives her the analogy - Clark is chocolate, dependable; he'll always be there. Dan is rocky road. There's a bit of excitement there, something different. Sarah suggests that Lois try something different because you never know until you try it.

Sarah says, "I'm telling you, Lois, chocolate will always be there." Then she walks off, leaving a pondering Lois behind.

Lois says to herself wistfully, "Not necessarily. I think I'd really miss chocolate if I couldn't have it."

So Nicole's little vignette is a little twist on this scene. Cleverly, IMO, told from Clark's POV.

And since I took the time to look it up goofy , the script actually has the boat/capsizing analogy in it rather than the ice cream analogy that made it to the screen. Personally, I'm glad they changed it. laugh

SARAH (CONT'D)
Lois, it's classic. Psych 101.
Look, Clark's a terrific guy,
anyone could see that. But he's
kind of like a rowboat.

LOIS
Rowboat?

SARAH
Yeah. You feel secure, you know
you'll get across the lake safely,
but it's not an exciting trip.
Scardino, on the other hand, is a
speedboat. Fast, sleek, a wild
ride.
(a cautionary finger)
But, there's also a better chance
of capsizing.
Hope that helps, Terry! smile

EDIT: I see angelic beat me to it, but I figure more info couldn't hurt. :p

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Kerth
Kerth
I'm really glad they changed the analogy from boats to chocolate! (Not that I'm biased...wait - stay out of my cabinets!) I loved that scene in T:JO. But this was also a fabulous ending line for that scene. I love your writing, Nicole!

Susan (who's jealous that you had the time to be creative at work...all I was inspired to do today was yell at an 8th grader who was nearing suspiciously close to another student's hair, "Put the scissors down!")

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
So cute!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
You know, I didn't quite get it at the beginning either, but then I realized what it was all about.

Cute little piece. Keep up the good work.
See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanks, everyone, I get it now. And I echo the comments everyone has made about how touching and tender this piece is. I even like Clark's cliff-edge emotional state. I've felt like that a few times, and usually it's been because of a person of the female persuasion.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thank you, all smile smile smile I have to say that I enjoyed each and every non-pun and sweeeeeet comment goofy You all are lovely!

I am so sorry for the confusion for Terry, Ann and anyone else on who Sarah was and what my vignette here stemmed from. I felt so bad when I realized this, like I assume everyone has seen EVERY episode and memorized every line. I wasn't sure if in a story like this the author should begin with a note about what has preceded this moment. Soooo... I do apologize for that. I wasn't sure what the general protocol was blush

But thanks again for all the nice comments about the little story. You do know how to make a girl extremely happy!!! laugh

And Pam, as for being left wanting more, first off THANK YOU, and *maybe*... you'll get a bite-sized treat for it. I'll, of course, have to think of a premise first wink We'll seeee...

~NICOLE!!!!!

ps- I wasn't sure about the title when I posted the story... and now I really am not sure. Did anyone hate it or think it was awful? Or did you think it fit? I can't make up my mind!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Nicole

This is a wonderful vignette. smile1 I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I somehow missed this when it came up on the boards, but I caught it in the latest archive update and was just 'awwww'ing by the time I reached the end. What an excellent, excellent little piece, Nicole. I absolutely LOVED Lois' reply. You've left me with a grin on my face, and for that, I thank you.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard