Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I am so happy!!!!! Thank you for posting...

*sniffle*

EDIT - Gee I have to come up with something better to say than that!!! I'll get a coffee and come back.

I'm not good at making snappy subject line - so I'm open to suggestions!

“Congratulations, Mr and Mrs Kent. I hope the two of you will be very happy together.”

He felt Lois flinch against him. Bitterness filled him [. . . ]
Ohhh. So sad.

He let out a slow breath. “So what do you want to do?” The gentleness in his tone told her that he’d do it. For her.

“Let’s get a hotel room.”

“What?”
I love how that was written. I know she's weak, but I still see that Lois spunk. thumbsup

Fear of pain. Fear of not being able to breathe. Fear of being helpless, dependent, begging for aid... The way to avoid that had seemed so obvious, so easy. Clark. Clark was Superman. He had amazing abilities... and all it would take was one dart of heat vision, or a tiny press of his thumb against her throat, or even the power of his freezing breath.

She’d almost asked him.
Wow. I guess I didn't realize how afraid she was. . .

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Powerful stuff, again, Wendy.

Poor Lois, so scared, but I'm proud of her for realizing that she just couldn't ask Clark to even consider euthanasia. The man doesn't kill bad guys, let alone the woman he loves. I'm not surprised she thought of it, mind you, but I'm very glad she didn't say it.

So... maybe they could go through a lightning storm on the way *home* from Las Vegas laugh That would be much more fun than curing her before the wedding, after all...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Taking a deep breath, I plunge in.

This should be the happiest moment of his life. But how could it be, when in a few short hours she’d be ripped from him?
Yeah, this one's going to be sad again...

To remember forever how she’d looked right at this moment - weak, pale, trembling and far from the vibrant, energetic human dynamo that was Lois Lane - but never more beautiful.
Despite the agony of this story, it redeems itself with these beautiful bits that take my breath away.

She was - if she hadn’t sworn never to lose her own identity by taking a man’s surname - Mrs Clark Kent.
Five thumbs up!!!! Oh wait, that means I'm alien. Whatever. You know how I feel on this one goofy .

Well, at least now he’d inherit everything of hers anyway, so he wouldn’t be out of pocket for a ring he’d only wear for a few hours.
Such a practical...and horrible thought.

It would tear him apart - both being asked and having to deny her request.
You already know how I feel about this, but I reiterate--this is just absolutely incredible writing.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
ARGH!!! [Linked Image]

We're still going through this wild storm and still there's no hope in sight!!!

I'm still praying that you're keeping your promise to keep all your toys intact!!! [Linked Image]

Throw us a teeny bone, please!!!

[Linked Image]

Missy [Linked Image]

Kerth
Kerth
That was amazing! Such power in Clark's love for Lois, such heartbreak in the dispair they share faced with four hours left. And Lois' realization of what asking Clark to euthanize her would do to him - so sad! There had better be a happy ending after all of this pain you're putting us through!
Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, Wendy, I was considering staying home from work today so I could do your post any sort of justice, but I decided against it, after all. So I'll have to come back later. But, being Swedish, and considering that last weekend Swedish television was full of this year's Nobel prize ceremonies, with kings and queens and ballet and opera and banquets and what not, I promise you will get my vote for next year's Nobel prize for Lois and Clark fanfiction literature. Uhmm, would that be the Kerth award? smile1 thumbsup

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sigh Ok a am teary again! You're killing me softly. I loved being tortured by you and I am looking forward to more. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Merriwether
Merriwether
whinging

That says it all

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fear of pain. Fear of not being able to breathe. Fear of being helpless, dependent, begging for aid... The way to avoid that had seemed so obvious, so easy. Clark. Clark was Superman. He had amazing abilities... and all it would take was one dart of heat vision, or a tiny press of his thumb against her throat, or even the power of his freezing breath.

She’d almost asked him.
Okay, I don't think I really started to cry until maybe here. But Jesus. You really know how to whip out that angst knife and shred us up!

JD
whinging

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
TWENTY-ONE?!?!?!?! whinging whinging whinging See now I'm really scared. Please don't let her die, I just couldn't take it.

Haven't you tortured us enough??? I think this is the most *gut-wrenching* thing I have ever read in my *life* and yet you consistently have me eagerly coming back for more! You've turned all of us into pleading masicists(sp?)!!

My theory ... 24 hours ... 24 *parts!* It's only fair that way. So either you'd better come up with a miracle in those upcoming two *VERY LONG* parts ... or for the sake of anal-retentives like myself just make the title match the story and post *24* parts!!!!! notworthy hail

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
Columnist
Columnist
I am waiting ever so anxiously for the next two parts! It just gets better and better! The wedding was so incredibly sad and sweet. I hope when the toys are fixed (*shakes fist-they had better be*) that they get to have a more public wedding with friends and family around smile More soon!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This story just gets richer and richer with every chapter. The way the bounds are being pushed; the way each one of them sacrifices for one another. Fantastic.

And I love the repeated use of "his wife."

Ah, Wendy, thank you for this amazing tale. As Nicole said in the previous chapter, "It's about life, IMO, and how fragile it is, how quickly you can lose everything, and how you shouldn't waste a day or ignore the messages in your heart, because that day wasted could have been the day you got everything you ever wanted!"

I don't have words for how much I'm loving this fic.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Kerth
Kerth
It's my imagination... or this part was short wink

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Wendy, you have me thinking of your story instead of my final exams! Grr! And I actually need to read for those instead of this!

That said, I'm dying for more! Please, pretty please post more soon so that I can avoid finals more! mecry Clark's musings on being a widower are painful. You're killing us, Wendy!!

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like everybody said - the sadness and poignancy and beauty of this is almost beyond words. Who can comment on this in such a way that the comment brings out more meaning than Wendy's masterful prose is already giving to us?

But at least I must call attention to some things that make me draw my breath again and again as this marvellous story enfolds itself before my eyes. I stand in awe at the way Clark almost can't say "I do" in the chapel because of the terrible words about him and Lois that he can't bear thinking about:
If he allowed himself to concentrate on what he was doing, then saying the vows, promising to love her until death parted them, would finally tear his heart into tiny pieces.
And the way he can't kiss Lois right away after the ceremony, because he needs to just look at her first:
He let go of her hand and brought his palms up to cradle her face, then paused. He needed to look at her. Needed a minute just to look at his wife.

His wife.

He needed to imprint her features on his brain. To remember forever how she'd looked right at this moment - weak, pale, trembling and far from the vibrant, energetic human dynamo that was Lois Lane - but never more beautiful.
And then, the way he actually kisses her:

Slowly, almost reverently, he lowered his head and captured her lips with his own. She trembled beneath his hold, but slid her arms around him, parting her lips and inviting him to kiss her properly.

Closing his eyes, he leaned into her, tasting her, feeling her, learning her. Memorising her.

Engraving the essence of her on his soul.
And the way he refines the desperation he feels within himself into love beyond words or measure for his wife:

If only this was like the fairy-tale, where the kiss from the handsome prince would awaken the beautiful princess and make her well again.

If only.

He was Superman, and he hadn't been able to do a damn thing to save her.

All he could do now was show her, with his lips, with his hands, with everything he was, how much he loved her.
And the way Clark's unhappiness makes Lois want to comfort him:
His eyes were so sad. If only there was a way she could take that away for him... but there was nothing she could do.
And the way she realises what it will mean to Clark if she doesn't let her parents know about her dying:

"Lois, no matter what, you can't not tell them!" he exclaimed. "How do you think they'd feel just finding out... after? Getting a phone call from the hospital - or more likely me! - telling them their daughter's dead? And realising that we'd known all today that it was probably going to happen?"

He was right. As her husband, he'd have to be the one to call her parents. How could she do that to him? On top of everything else he was being dumped with!

"I'm sorry, Clark." The words emerged as little more than a whisper. "This... marriage idea of mine... it's going to leave you with a whole lot of hassle."
And the way Clark gets the chance to say, again, that there is nothing he wouldn't do for her:

"You think I care about that, Lois? Sure, being your... widower is going to mean I get to do all sorts of fun stuff. Stuff that's going to tear me apart little by little, more painfully than Kryptonite can. But do you think that for one second I mind doing anything for you? That there's anything I wouldn't do for you?"
And then his final declaration of endless love:

"Lois... if there was any way... anything I could do..." He took a harsh, shuddering breath. "If I could swap places with you, I'd do it in a heartbeat."
And after this, Lois gives her ultimate gift of love to Clark. The gift of not asking him to kill her. People, have you considered Lois's situation, of what it would mean to see and feel your body fall apart on you like that? A friend of my mother's was feeling tired so she saw her doctor, and was told that she had a very aggressive form of cancer of the pancreas, and that she had exactly one week to live. I have often wondered what that week must have been like for her. What did she think every night as she went to bed? What did she think as she woke up each new morning, yet another day gone from what had been a week to live? What new pains and fears assaulted her every day? How much worse did she feel each morning than she had the night before, and how much worse was the end of each day compared with the beginning of it?

My mother's friend had to suffer through the systematic break-down of her body in one week. In Wendy's story, Lois has to watch and feel the same thing happen to her body in twenty-four hours. How scared would you be if that happened to you? In Wendy's story, Lois thinks to herself that she is afraid of the pain, and she is afraid of not being able to breathe. That was what my father said, when he was so ill after his heart attack, that nothing scared him more than not being able to breathe.

But when Lois has given up, when she has nothing but four unspeakably horrible hours of complete bodily anguish and breakdown to look forward to, and when she knows that Clark could spare her this inhuman horror by using his superpowers to kill her so quickly and gently, then she gives him the ultimate gift of her love, the gift not only of not asking him to kill her, but also the gift of not telling him that she really wants him to do this. Because nothing, nothing could be more horrible for him than knowing that Lois's last wish would be that he should kill her.

Ahh, Wendy. I don't think we have ever seen Clark and Lois's love for one another portrayed so heartbreakingly beautifully before. You have crammed what seems like a lifetime of choices and emotions into twenty-four short hours - well, really only twenty so far! And in the three last parts or so, Lois and Clark have had more than a lifetime's share of epiphanies, and they have learnt more about life, death, hope, despair, fear, grief, joy and love than many of us can can ever hope to come by in a lifetime. Your story is about the human condition, enacted by two fallible people whose courage and love shines a thin beam of light and warmth even into the shadow of the valley of death. Even if their fight is useless, even if the darkness must claim at least one of them very, very soon, they will keep trying. For each other. Beacuse they love.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
whinging

I read your post just before leaving the library: this will teach me! I cry all my tears (again!) so my face was a mess, and I hadn't my trousse for make-up emergencies! whinging

She’d be useless. Practically paralysed and in too much pain to focus.

Pain. How much pain?
"pain" again. This is a clear clue of what is coming!

She’d almost asked him.
"Fear" and "pain": not the usual words you can read after a wedding scene! Poor poor Lois and Clark! whinging
Do you really want leave these two alone and test Lois' resolve to not ask him ? eek
I'm hoping you'll hurry to fix this unbearable situation! What is Dr. Sutton doing? I think Griffin is not the only guilty part here!What is this so misterious poison? Lois's symptoms gave me a couple of ideas, but they involve, although indirectly, Luthor and illegal weapons! Oh, I don't know! confused

Simona smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Just post 20! peep

What do you think I am?

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
rotflol

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Features Writer
Features Writer
wow... this is great i haven't cried this much since reading
shoot i can't think of it right now. whinging whinging frown mecry

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard