Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Oh interesting premis. I like it so far. More soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is absolutely fascinating, Susan! What an original idea, to revisit the Smart Kids a few years later. And, yes, Philip always did seem less convinced than the others, less willing to slip back into a normal life.

He has such a different perspective on Clark/Superman, too. It's perfectly understandable given what he's been through, though. My heart went out to him when I read this:

Phillip soured at the thought of Clark Kent, the man who people in this city practically worshipped. He had been one of them three years ago. What child wouldn’t look up to a flying superhero and believe everything he said? Superman had made a noble speech to him about how it felt to be different, never quite fitting in. He had pretended concern, convincing Phillip to give up the drug and go back to being a kid. Nothing special. Phillip had grabbed onto Superman’s words as if he were a son reaching out to his father. Well, that analogy had proven all too true.

Just as his real father had abandoned him, Phillip hadn’t seen Clark Kent since that incident three years ago. No letter, no phone call, no e-mail, no visit; no contact of any kind. Kent had gotten his story and moved on to the next while Phillip was trapped in his meaningless existence. The man in disguise was no better. Superman routinely did charity work for groups around the city, but hadn’t once come to support Beckworth. Each year he played Santa for orphans at Christmas time, but never for the ones at Beckworth. Phillip brushed the beginning of an angry tear from his eye.
What a superb insight from the mind of a minor, forgotten character!

So, more??

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Interesting. thumbsup

Let see more.

MAF thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, what a great idea!! I really love this. smile smile

Love how you've captured Mindy! Very accurate. I LOL'ed reading this:

“All my toys are broken.” Mindy Church pouted.

It was all Superman’s fault.
I can just picture it! smile1

~NICOLE

Top Banana
Top Banana
Great to see you posting, Susan. Some insights in this story about Clark Kent that I haven't read elsewhere. smile And the kids' voices sound like kids' voices. laugh

c

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Susan

A very interesting and original premise! smile1 I'm enjoying it immensely.

Tricia cool

Kerth
Kerth
Thank you all for taking the time to read my story and share your feedback. I know "Smart Kids" wasn't exactly everyone's favorite episode (okay, okay, it's in many people's top 5 worst), but I felt the opportunity was there to develop the former Smart Kids into real people with real problems. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story. smile Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I've been itching to catch up with this for ages and, boy, am I glad I finally did!

This is absolutely wonderful, Susan. Like many other FoLCs, SK isn't one of my favourite episodes. Although, like all episodes it manages to have it's moments. But I do love stories which revisit some of them more minor characters in the show, and this one does that beautifully. Philip, Mindy and the other smart kids are fleshed out marvellously, and their introspection is a treat to read. Your dialogue is a real treat, too, very natural.

This, in particular, had me laughing out loud:

‘Who cares?’ From Mindy’s point of view, rich criminals were the best men to marry - they tended to die or get thrown in jail.
Mindy always was a great character and you've nailed her perfectly here.

thumbsup

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard