Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Fall From Grace - Tim Weaver

Turned out I hadn't exhausted all of Tim's books after all. This one didn't disappoint. I swear, each book gets better than the last. And as this one ended with Raker being asked to take on the case I've been wanting a resolution to since the very first book, I can't wait for the next in the series.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I had a nonfiction and a few fiction books going concurrently so these are in the order that I started them.

The Millionaire Mind by Thomas J. Stanley
Most millionaires don't fit the stereotypical image of a wealthy person. Most are first-generation wealthy and
did not receive any type of inheritance or jump start in their wealth building. This book examines how they became wealthy.

Recommended. Reread this one and recently purchased a copy to share.

Home Run: Learn God's Game Plan for Life and Leadership by Kevin Myers and John C. Maxwell
We all want to have personal success, connect with our community and have the kind of character we can be proud
of. God wants this for us too. Using a baseball analogy, God is at home plate, our character is first, our
community is second and our personal success is third. Unfortunately, we often run the bases in the wrong order
and for the wrong reasons.

While I found the format/organization used for the book a little annoying I would highly recommend it.

Star Trek DS9: The 34th Rule by Armin Shimmerman and David R. George III
The Grand Nagus has a Bajoran Orb and has decided to auction it off to the highest bidder. The Bajorans are
outraged, but join the negotiations. Things really go south when they get kicked out of the auction. Quark has
just made the deal of his life when Ferengis are barred from Bajor and their assets siezed.

Robot Visions by Isaac Asimov
Robot Visions is a compilation of short stories and essays about robots. The stories are good (honestly, I can't think of any "bad" Asimov stories) and the essays are almost as ejoyable and thought provoking.

I got thinking about one of the stories in particular and ended up rereading the entire book.

Rockets, Redheads & Revolution by James P. Hogan
Also a mixture of short stories and essays. In most cases there is an essay and then a story based on that
essay. Of note, Boom and Slump in Space is a (unfortunately) eerily accurate analysis of the American
space program and of predictable the effects of government intervention in general.

James P. Hogan has joined Herbert, Heinlein, Niven with a place on the shelf in my library. Whether or not you
are interested in getting this book then please read Boom and Slump in Space .

The Multiplex Man by James P Hogan
Robert Jarrow wakes up in an Atlanta hotel room with a cryptic note as his only clue to explain how he got there. He looks in a mirror and finds a strange face looking back at him. He travels home to Minneapolis and to his further confusion he finds that he died 8 months earlier.

The book was an interesting take on a SF mystery but the plot required a significant number of flashbacks. I enjoyed the story but found it a little hard to follow.

Shallowford
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Run - Blake Crouch

A middling PA novel by Crouch. I would have liked it better if I'd found the family who were at the heart of it more interesting and, at times, less irksome. It - and they - got better as we progressed but although I don't feel my time was wasted, this isn't Crouch at his best imo.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 12/30/14 04:09 PM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#58 City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Second in the Mortal Instrument series. My daughter loves this series and keeps insisting that I read it. It's an interesting premise with young Shadow Hunters with Angel blood, warewolves, vampires, and other magical creatures, set in current day New York City. This installment deals with the stealing of the second mortal instrument.

(You can tell I haven't taught a class all year!)

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 01/02/15 11:09 AM.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard