Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Cherryh's book was pretty much universally hailed as an abomination when it came out. I was doubly disappointed because Cherryh's Chronicles of Morgaine is one of my favourite fantasy series. But it was as though she'd never even watched the show. What most LNC fans didn't want in a novel was Lois and Clark on separate sides of the world for most of it! goofy

And then there were the weird details which were totally contradicted in LNC. Been a long time since I read it but I think one of those was Clark bemoaning that his Kryptonian body chemistry meant he couldn't wear a watch because they stopped working after only a few hours.

It had a couple of really nice moments - when Clark and Lois finally made it to the same room, but for the most part it singularly failed to capture any of the show's romance or wit. Would have made a good Superman novel, perhaps, but it had little to do with LNC apart from Teri and Dean on the cover.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Basement - Stephen Leather

An entertaining little thriller in very much two halves. I enjoyed the scenes with Marvin and his cat and mouse game with the police. I found the alternating scenes with the killer as he abused his victim somewhat disturbing and uncomfortable reading - but then I imagine I was supposed to and these scenes were thankfully light on gory details, more suggestive than graphic. And I never saw the ending coming at all. Very well done.

The Tinkerer's Daughter - James Sedgwick

I enjoyed this charming YA fantasy. Breeze made for a delightful heroine. There were few surprises and the Mary Sue element did tend to take over somewhat once the action got going but a good read all the same.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/22/14 12:34 PM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
37. Fearless Fourteen, by Janet Evanovich

Stephanie Plum provides security for an aging music star while trying to figure out what happened to the nine million dollars stolen by the brother of one of her skips ten years ago.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#25 Deadline by Mira Grant Second book in the Newsflesh Trilogy

We learn more about the evolution of the Kellis-Amberlee virus and about how the government has been handling/mishandling the situation. Lots of action. Really ends with a bang - though I've got to pick up the final book to see if this development really makes sense.

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Birthdays of a Princess - Helga Zeiner

I couldn't put this one down. After a shocking act of violence, a diligent psychiatrist and an increasingly sympathetic cop try to discover why a teenager would attack a stranger so viciously, hampered by the attacker being unable to remember either attack or motivation. But as the pieces of her memory are recovered what dread secrets will be revealed?

I don't think I've ever hated a character so much (Gracie) or wanted to slap one so hard (Melissa). I definitely need to check out more from this author.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/25/14 06:34 AM.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie.
Miss Marple saves the day when poison-pen letters lead to a murder.

Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie.
The first Agatha Christie I ever read. I was blown away by the way she plotted herself out of a seemingly airtight murder. Hercule Poirot reveals the defendant to be innocent and another person (someone you would never think of!) to be the murderer.

Top Banana
Top Banana
38. The Trial of Mary Lou, by Ron Carter

A short, humorous novella, set in 1931, about a 17-year-old Idaho girl put on trial for attempted murder after she shoots the boat of a local ne'er-do-well full of holes and causes it to sink. The jury has only six members (one of whom brings five of her fifteen children with her, and nurses the youngest during the trial), because the guy appointed as judge (who has no idea what he's doing) can't find any more people who aren't busy. The prosecutor is an uptight, young, Harvard-educated lawyer who finds himself falling in love with the defendant, so they spend much of the trial making eyes at each other. Volume 1 of the Settlement trilogy. I'll read the others if I ever find them (this one came from a used bookstore; I paid $1.08 for it and don't feel like spending more for the others).

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Dust - Arthur Slade

I was captivated by this horror novella, reminiscent of the best of Stephen King's early work. Like King, Slade deftly weaves an atmosphere of brooding, almost stifling menace creeping over a sleepy, rural community in Depression-era America and our young hero, Robert, valiently resisting the evil seducing the adults in his town, is a wonderful character we can root for. My only complaint? Too short! But definitely a keeper and I really need to read more from this author.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#26 Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

I wasn't sure how a sequel to a book written in the 70s would hold up. It follows Danny Torance as an adult. I enjoyed it.

Joan

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
39) Supervolcano: Eruption by Harry Turtledove
40) Supervolcano: All Fall Down by Harry Turtledove

These were the first books I've read by Harry Turtledove and I enjoyed them. The volcano is very much a very deep background item after the initial eruption. These are people oriented novels. My only complaint is that they should have been tightened up and made into one novel. I'll be looking for more of his novels.

Top Banana
Top Banana
39. Finger-Lickin' Fifteen, by Janet Evanovich

Stephanie Plum has to track down the people who murdered a famous chef while helping Ranger figure out who is burglarizing people with Rangeman accounts. Note: This book should not be read when you're hungry -- not with so many barbecue descriptions, however weird they turn out.

40. Bad Monkey, by Carl Hiaasen

A former police officer demoted to restaurant inspector after very publically attacking his girlfriend's obnoxious husband investigates a gruesome murder in an effort to get his job back. There's a bizarre twist on the murder that I didn't see coming. Oh, and the eponymous bad monkey winds up being one of the heroes.

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Dune - Frank Herbert

By imperial decree Duke Leto Atreides has been given governorship of the desert planet Arrakis, the sole source of the geriatric spice melange. The move has the potential for fantastic riches since the spice is also addictive so regardless of anything else "the spice must flow" and they know there is an traitor in their midst. As a result Paul Atreides, his son, is thrown into commercial, political, religious, cultural, environmental and genetic intrigue. Not to mention the sworn blood feud with Baron Harkonnen and his clan.

Dune was the first non-Asimov SF novel I ever read. I was 13 and by page 30 I was completely hooked. Dune could qualify as a "coming of age" but I think the main draw that first time was how quickly the action progressed in the book. Rereading, I am surprised at how much depth Herbert was able to give the political, cultural, technological and ecological themes in the book while keeping the plot interesting and engaging. (I've heard that Dune compares well to the Lord of the Rings but I've never been able to fight my way through LOTR's introduction so I can't venture an opinion.)

Shallowford
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#27 Black Out by Mira Grant

Last in the Newsflesh trilogy. Book 2 ended with a shocker that I didn't think the author could explain. I was pleased to find she addressed that issue. Some of the plot didn't hold together as well but it was enjoyable to read.

Joan

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
The Best Science Fiction Novellas of the Year #2 - Edited by Terry Carr

Enemy Mine by Barry Longyear. Yes, there was a movie that was pretty true to the story but the printed story is more satisfying.

The Moon Goddess and the Son by Donald Kingsbury. Diana is 6 when she learns that she is named for the moon goddess, Diana. She's 13 when she runs away from her abusive father to pursue a life on the moon. Now, how to get there?

Palely Loitering by Christopher Priest. Mykle lives in a post-technological rural society. Technology still exists, but life is simpler in a life circa 1880. One byproduct of the interstellar space program that he enjoys is Flux Channel Park, where the yesterday, today and tomorrow bridges cross the time flux fluid originally used to launch the spacecraft. He disobeys and finds himself 32 years out of his time and despite his discomfort at being lost he spies the most beautiful girl he has ever seen.

Songhouse by Orson Scott Card. Esste charges herself with finding the Emperor a songbird, a rare individual trained to vocal musical perfection. She believes Ansset has the ability but unless he can overcome his past he will never succeed.

Ker-Plop by Fred Reynolds. Cotter Orren is a "checker", responsible for inspecting incoming ships at Randar 13. The inspection process ensures that records, both ship and historical, are updated when each ship arrives. This process has not changed since before civilization almost broke down in the 'Tween Times 60 millennia ago. Most importantly, it neutralizes ship's power until the government determines if the ship or its occupants present a threat. The isolation of space travel is notorious for unleashing latent mental instabilities so Cotter's position is a delicate balance of technical skill, hazard avoidance and diplomacy. Cotter is the unfortunate soul on duty when a gigantic Anarchate ship completes its 300,000 year round trip to the Lesser Magellanic Cloud.

This book is proof of Asimov's statement that the best science fiction is about people. The science and technology plays a role but the characters take the lead in each one of these stories. I read this book the first time in August 1983 while taking part in a field exercise at the Army's National Training Center (i.e. Death Valley). What a miserable trip--one week of expected daytime temps of 130°F and nights of 60°F and then three weeks of rain and 50°F. Let me put it this way, I had popcorn in my duffel bag with plans to pop it in my mess kit but I never got the chance because it had sprouted. I can't really remember anything else I read in the Army but this book was a breath of fresh air at the time. Highly recommended if you spot a copy.

Shallowford
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What She Saw - Sheila Lowe

This was an entertaining little thriller lite/mystery. It suffered a little from being utterly implausible at times, but when you have interesting characters and an intriguing plot you can forgive that in a thriller.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#28 Masterminds & Wingmen by Rosalind Wiseman

This author got a lot of attention for her books on girls. I've read a few of those types of books so I thought it would be interesting to read about the guy's POV. Most of what she wrote seemed pretty obvious. And her scripted "conversations" to have with your child were really stiff.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#29 Toxic Parents by Susan Forward

I have a great relationship with my parents so I was reading this more for someone else who is close to me. I thought this writer was dead on and had some very helpful suggestions.

Joan

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One Shot by Lee Child
"Six shots. Five dead. One heartland city thrown into a state of terror. But within hours the cops have it solved: a slam-dunk case. Except for one thing. The accused man says: You got the wrong guy. Then he says: Get Reacher for me.

And sure enough, ex–military investigator Jack Reacher is coming. He knows this shooter—a trained military sniper who never should have missed a shot. Reacher is certain something is not right—and soon the slam-dunk case explodes.

Now Reacher is teamed with a beautiful young defense lawyer, moving closer to the unseen enemy who is pulling the strings. Reacher knows that no two opponents are created equal. This one has come to the heartland from his own kind of hell. And Reacher knows that the only way to take him down is to match his ruthlessness and cunning—and then beat him shot for shot."

Excellent thriller. Lee Child is reliable as ever.

The Hard Way by Lee Child
"Jack Reacher was alone, the way he liked it, soaking up the hot, electric New York City night, watching a man cross the street to a parked Mercedes and drive it away. The car contained one million dollars in ransom money because Edward Lane, the man who paid it, would do anything to get his family back.

Lane runs a highly illegal soldiers-for-hire operation. He will use any tool to find his beautiful wife and child. And Jack Reacher is the best manhunter in the world.

On the trail of vicious kidnappers, Reacher learns the chilling secrets of his employer’s past . . . and of a horrific drama in the heart of a nasty little war. He knows that Edward Lane is hiding something. Something dirty. Something big. But Reacher also knows this: He’s already in way too deep to stop now. And if he has to do it the hard way, he will."

It's never the villain you thought it was! Lee Child throws in plot twists and turns galore and comes to a satisfying ending.

Top Banana
Top Banana
41. Circle of Light, by Nancy Cane

I was looking for brain candy, so I picked up this sci-fi romance novel. Unfortunately, it was more like brain mush than brain candy -- the plot was dumb, the heroine unbelievable, the hero obnoxious, and the non-sci-fi bits poorly researched. razz

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#30 Trans/Human by Ben Bova

Ben Bova usually does a great job with speculative science fiction and this is another example of it. He takes our understanding of telomers and aging and builds from there. A scientist cures his granddaughter's brain cancer and also manages to prolong aging in himself. My only objection is that the pace of these discoveries, along with any difficulties, isn't represented realistically. Though I guess that makes a more entertaining story.

Joan

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard