Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
This bothers me.

"I suppose that's true," the doctor grudgingly agreed. "How are you feeling otherwise?"

"So far, since that one attack, I've been feeling okay. Like my usual self, to be honest. The worst part has been forcing myself to not use my powers."

Maybe I'm reading something in here that isn't intended, but I always look for "bad guy" angles any time Clark can't be Superman for a while. And I can't escape the feeling that this is exactly what some really, really evil genius has come up with to keep Superman out of his hair. The fact that it's also deflecting the best team of investigative reporters on the East Coast is just a bonus.

Anyway, I think this is an original and very interesting tale. And don't worry about this chapter moving a little slower. You can't run a distance race at top speed or you'll crash and burn. I'm sure you're saving enough for a finishing kick. Loved the Ellen stuff, too. "Of course you married an alien." Translated, that may mean, "Lois, you never liked any of the young men I suggested to you, the ones with excellent breeding and well-established families and lots of old money."

You're posting the next part when?

Terry,

I agree that this part bothered me also. I recently finished "Lonely is the Man" and it covers the story of Clark at age 250 finding his next love. One of the points of the story was that everyone thought the original Clark had died (the remainder of his and Lois's offspring and their offspring had died) due to his being very frail the last time anyone saw him (doing a heroic thing) and he disappeared. Well he actually had just quit being Superman and without the strain and the help of plenty of sun he basically rejuvenated back to his late 20's. This reference in this chapter keeps me wondering (back to that regeneration thing) that if he just kept himself under control for a period of time wouldn't the heart repair itself. Now we know how hard that would be for him, in the referenced story he had offspring to keep up the heroic stuff while he just went into retirement.

It continues to be part of this story that just doesn't fit for me.

Mike

I was angling for this: (and I may need to spell it out better in the fic)

The damage Deathstroke (coupled with whatever his body was doing after the youth sucking machine) was immediate and permanent - like it killed off heart cells, so there was no chance to recover from the damage. That added additional stress onto the living cells, which broke them down too.

Also, plot gods?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
I shouldn't read this story when I'm feeling depressed. I read chapter 3 when I was already down, and it was so sad!!!!!!!! I think I almost cried.

I read this chapter when I was in a much better mood.

I'm glad that Lois and Clark have a better support system now that Dr. Klein and the Lanes are in on the secret. Something that confused me as I read, though, is that at the beginning of the conversation I assumed that Jonathan and Martha didn't know about his heart, but by the end it seemed like they had already known. I guess that they would have called when they found out that Superman had collapsed after the bridge collapse, but they wouldn't necessarily have known about the results of the tests that Dr. Klein ran. It would have been less confusing if there was a mention of having talked to Clark's parents before the Lanes came over.

You're doing a great job of capturing the characters' emotions, especially how distraught Lois and Clark conflicting with their joy about their baby.

Thanks so much! smile

I meant for this:

Jonathan and Martha shifted uncomfortably in their seats. Clark and Lois had both spoken to them at length about letting Sam and Ellen in on the secret, the two of them having dropped everything to take a red-eye flight to Metropolis the day before. Clark had wanted to fly them in himself, but Dr. Klein's warning about using his powers had rung in his ears and chilled him to his very soul. To use his powers, especially in some grand fashion, would put even more stress on his heart, which could very well be fatal.

to show that Lois and Clark had told J&M everything. But, I may need to make it more clear when prepping it for the archive.

Um...there's some not so happy stuff coming. That's all the warning I can give you.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

The damage Deathstroke (coupled with whatever his body was doing after the youth sucking machine) was immediate and permanent - like it killed off heart cells, so there was no chance to recover from the damage. That added additional stress onto the living cells, which broke them down too.

Also, plot gods?

Actually it is the plot gods concept and of course your excellent story telling that has kept me in this thing rather than just dropping our due to my reservations about your story premise. I keep thinking I will just stop then the next chapter comes, I read it, and get back hooked again.

Your true evilness is spinning a good tale, even one I really don't want to read.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Also, plot gods?

Actually it is the plot gods concept and of course your excellent story telling that has kept me in this thing rather than just dropping our due to my reservations about your story premise. I keep thinking I will just stop then the next chapter comes, I read it, and get back hooked again.

Your true evilness is spinning a good tale, even one I really don't want to read.

Mike

rotflol clap Well, I'll take that as the highest compliment! devil

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beverly's interpretation of Ellen Lane has always bothered me ...until now! What a great scene!

Now that the Lanes and Dr. Klein are onboard, where do we go from here?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Morgana
Beverly's interpretation of Ellen Lane has always bothered me ...until now! What a great scene!

Now that the Lanes and Dr. Klein are onboard, where do we go from here?

Thanks, Morgana! Glad you enjoyed my take on Ellen. Where do we go from here? Down the path of evilness, of course!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Um...there's some not so happy stuff coming. That's all the warning I can give you.
I appreciate knowing at the outset that things won't go well. Sometimes I'm in a mood where I can handle sad stories and enjoy them, and other times I just want some happy fluff. Despite being apprehensive about what's going to happen, you've written a compelling story that I'm enjoying, and I look forward to reading the rest of it.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
I appreciate knowing at the outset that things won't go well. Sometimes I'm in a mood where I can handle sad stories and enjoy them, and other times I just want some happy fluff. Despite being apprehensive about what's going to happen, you've written a compelling story that I'm enjoying, and I look forward to reading the rest of it.

Thanks for the compliment. smile I do hope that, despite the unhappy stuff to come, you find the ending satisfying. (At least, I *think* I will appease people with it.)

I'm with you. Sometimes I really only want WAFFy stuff, other times, you can hit me with the darkest fics you can find. Depends on my mood.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cardiac stem cell transplants? smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by IolantheAlias

From the fetus! Excellent idea!! However will the Evil evil Queen let it work???

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Interesting theory, but I don't think stem cell research was that advanced in 1998.

Sorry, guys! evil

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Top Banana
Top Banana

Interesting theory, but I don't think stem cell research was that advanced in 1998.

Sorry, guys! evil

Yeah but neither was time travel smirk

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Sorry, guys! evil

Yeah but neither was time travel smirk

Mike

rotflol True!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I've got it! Maybe they could clone Clark's heart from of the healthy cells still in it so he could be his own heart donor. I know the notes for cloning had been destroyed, but with Clark's eidetic memory, he'd be able to recreate them. Assuming, of course, that he actually really did see them in TOGoM, and assuming that the process would also work on Kryptonians.

I see that part five has dropped. I'm half looking forward to, and half dreading, reading it...

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I've got it! Maybe they could clone Clark's heart from of the healthy cells still in it so he could be his own heart donor. I know the notes for cloning had been destroyed, but with Clark's eidetic memory, he'd be able to recreate them. Assuming, of course, that he actually really did see them in TOGoM, and assuming that the process would also work on Kryptonians.

I see that part five has dropped. I'm half looking forward to, and half dreading, reading it...

Joy,
Lynn

rotflol That would be interesting indeed! I always did assume that Clark really *did* read the notes in TOGoM. How else could he fool Dr. Hamilton?

Part five actually dropped in error. For a little while last night, I was convinced it was already Thursday. blush

Last edited by Deadly Chakram; 05/22/14 11:56 AM.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Part five actually dropped in error. For a little while last night, I was convinced it was already Thursday. blush

Don't worry; we'll forgive you. wink

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Top Banana
Top Banana

Here I was thinking you were speeding up the update process because of all of the interest grin .

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Here I was thinking you were speeding up the update process because of all of the interest grin .

Mike

laugh Nope! I am just that evil.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard