Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25214 11/08/05 12:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Yet another totally engrossing chapter, Wendy. I liked the touches about Lois getting a lump in her throat when Perry spoke to her, and also her ruminations about Henderson. I liked how she was very resistant to the idea of her phone being bugged despite the fact that it might help catch the person who did this. The reporter is an inalienable part of Lois.

A hand touched her shoulder, squeezing gently. She didn’t need to glance back to know that it was Clark.
Loved that.

“Why did you call Kent? Why not yell for Superman?”

“Oh!” Lois frowned. Why hadn’t she? “I don’t know,” she said slowly. “I guess... Well, I was barely conscious. I think I just acted on instinct.”

And that said a lot. That she would think of Clark first, not Superman, when she was operating on auto-pilot?
And that, too.

Eagerly awaiting the next part!

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
#25215 11/08/05 12:08 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Ok, Henderson is helping... Are you sure you'll be able to finish this for the deadline? wink

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#25216 11/08/05 12:12 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This whole "dragging it out until they scream" thing is making me feel a little devil

And that said a lot. That she would think of Clark first, not Superman, when she was operating on auto-pilot?
Although I'm sure it will be quoted by many, it is still too great to not comment on. Hm, why DID you, Lois? Huh?

It wasn’t surprising; after all, the minutes and hours were ticking away. It was now almost ten. Nearly seven hours of the twenty-four gone already
You, Jorge Isaacs and the time thing, Wendy...

He loved her so much... surely he should have known that she needed him?
In typical Clark fashion, he is once again blaming himself for things he had no control over. Seriously, of the two, he's far more of a control freak than she is sometimes.

“Take care of Lois, okay? She... We might not always show it, but she means a lot to us here.”
Aw, sweet.

He changed course, feeling guilty relief that he didn’t have to rejoin Lois just yet.
Good insight.

What can I say except I'm waiting for more.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#25217 11/08/05 12:14 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
eep! <whimper>

More!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#25218 11/08/05 01:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. drool
A hand touched her shoulder, squeezing gently. She didn’t need to glance back to know that it was Clark.
Love it! blush

“So a guy like that isn’t content to believe that you’re suffering. He wants to know it. That means he’s probably watching you.”

True. That much she’d already figured out. She nodded. In her peripheral vision, she noticed Perry and Clark nodding slowly.

“And he’ll want you to know that he knows. So at some point today he’s going to call you. That’s the way a guy like this works.
confused Did you know what pass through my mind?

eek The "Resurrection pill"
confused Do they really want her kill or make believe she is dead?

“CK.” The tension in Jimmy’s voice made him pause, and he glanced back at the younger man.

“Yeah?”

“Take care of Lois, okay? She... We might not always show it, but she means a lot to us here.”

“I know.” And he had to struggle to keep his voice even.
blush That is sweet!

As he turned to go back to the conference room, one of Henderson’s men beckoned him over. He changed course, feeling guilty relief that he didn’t have to rejoin Lois just yet.
eek Hey! I want to know.

Get back Her! hyper

Get back Her! hyper

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#25219 11/08/05 05:04 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good ol Bill Henderson! I am glad he is tapping her phone. Poor Lois! Poor Clark! I am looking forward to seeing how they get out of this mess. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#25220 11/08/05 05:05 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yet another awesome segment. Again...I wish you'd just post what you have written! evil

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#25221 11/08/05 07:32 PM
Columnist
Columnist
This was great! It seems like their best bet is if the guy calls. You did a good job at making it all seem hopeless, if you intended to or not. Way too many files to look through and not enough information at this point. Love the emotions and insights of ALL the characters. You're doing a fabulous job! smile

Small nit-pick that I could be totally offbase for anyway. For this part:
Right now, though, there wasn’t a cop in the city she’d prefer to have on her side.
Shouldn't it have something like "there wasn't another cop in the city..." It seems like it's saying she doesn't want any cops on her side. That would make it specific to Henderson. But then again, it's late. I could just be looking at it wrong.

Anyway, I cannot wait for the next part. I hope you don't keep us waiting too long. grumble

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
#25222 11/08/05 07:38 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Thank you for the nice welcome Wendy! I have been lurking for quite a while, but this story almost demands to be commented upon.

I agree with the others and love the part where Lois instinctively calls Clark when she is in trouble rather than Superman.

And this part:

Short of flying around the city searching for some guy in a Donald Duck outfit carrying an empty syringe, he was out of ideas
Was very well placed. It allows for a bit of comic relief but it still fits in with the tension of the rest of the section.

This part:

As he turned to go back to the conference room, one of Henderson’s men beckoned him over. He changed course, feeling guilty relief that he didn’t have to rejoin Lois just yet.
Was simply great. It shows the stress that Clark is under. He is the most powerful man on the planet, but right now he feels powerless to save her.

As I mentioned before, I can't wait to see how this turns out. There are so many possibilities. Since it seems to take place in late 1st season, perhaps we will see some Luthor, either as friend or foe (or both.)

Can't wait to read and find out what happens in the upcoming sections.

-Em

"But my experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all."

-Oscar Wilde, "Lady Windermere's Fan"
#25223 11/08/05 10:35 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I just ADORE this story more and more with every new addition. Simply amazing! I loved the characterization of Henderson...right on the mark. I always liked him in the series and felt he was a bit underused. Loved how Lois refuses to allow the phone tap-it's so completely her. And how Clark is perfectly willing to-whatever the cost, it doesn't matter to him. All he wants is her safe...so completely Clark. And then there's Perry...stuck in the middle...wanting to do whatever it takes to catch the guy, but not wanting to compromise the paper's sources or Lois for that matter to do it...very Perry. Great job on all fronts....MORE PLEASE! hyper

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
#25224 11/08/05 10:56 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
eep! <whimper>

More!
Ditto!

And I think the entire story thus far can be summed up in these two well-juxtaposed lines:
Did it, just possibly, say something about how she felt about him? About Clark?

But that wasn’t important now. Saving Lois’s life was what mattered.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#25225 11/09/05 03:49 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Poor, poor, poor Lois. help

Andreia mecry

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#25226 11/09/05 05:47 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, wow. A lot of emotion shown here, and a lot of support. I love how everyone is coming together to help Lois. And even Henderson is pulling out all the stops. I just hope it works. *bites nails*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#25227 11/09/05 03:47 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I actually get a nervous feeling in my stomach reading this! It is so unbelievably intense. I love the scene in the conference room, from Lois's POV. I love how when anyone talks, you write:

Clark again.
Perry again.
It shows the state of her mind so well! She is not looking directly at these people, I imagine, but staring ahead, trying to make sense out of the chaos. This feels like she is trying to grasp understanding of everything, of what is going on, and pulling it out bit by bit. Clark again. Perry again. In two words, we're invited into her chaotic flow of thoughts as she tries to be there with them, and focus on the task.

Not sure if I made any sense, but I really liked it how you chose to drive her perspective during that conversation smile

There was so much here to just love! I too, loved Henderson's question about why she called Clark and not Superman. Clark's guilt is palpable! I just love it!

Now w/ all those files to go through, wouldn't he take them somewhere private and speed read through them??? confused Even if he doesn't have time for revelations at this point, he doesn't have TIME period. He needs to get going and be super already to speed this process up! laugh

Anyway, another fantastic part, Wendy! This is killing me! MORE PLEASE!!! smile

~NICOLE

#25228 11/11/05 09:48 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy

WOW, WOW, WOW! mecry Henderson's charaterisation is excellent. Every moment is so important to Lois! As a reader I can sense this.

I can't wait to see what happens next. eek Please post more soon.

Tricia cool

#25229 11/11/05 11:17 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Wendy,

I just caught up on this story and I have to say that if there was ever any doubt, you are by far and away the Queen of Agony. This story is so painful and heartbreaking to read, but so well written and engrossing that it is impossible NOT to read. wave

I heart Clark Kent.
#25230 11/12/05 09:38 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Like your description of the others' POV in such a situation. Clark's guilty relief at the delay in getting back to Lois was very believable and plausible.

~Ankit wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#25231 11/12/05 10:26 AM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Okay, it's not quite 6am yet, so... ignore anything that's... a bit loopy. (Well, loopier than normal - and hey, talking to the characters? Completely normal).

Also, I haven't read through the comments folder, so, while I'm sure you wouldn't mind hearing anything twice, sorry for any repetition. smile

And now, on with the show...

She resisted the urge to cling to Clark as the elevator ascended.
I wonder... do you go back and edit these after you've decided where to cut the file into parts, or do you write them thinking 'Man... that would be a *great* opening line!' and then go back and cut there? Because... once again. Fantastic opener. It puts us right back in the frame of mind... reminds us exactly how Lois is feeling and what's hapening and yes... it's perfection in twelve words. <g>

And, even though she had no idea what anyone in the newsroom had been told, she had no intention of letting anyone else see how this was affecting her.
And we're back to the 'Lois and Clark v. The World.' I really love that. smile

But no-one was going to be able to say that Lois Lane went out cowering and whimpering like a coward.
Except Clark... who probably wouldn't anyway. Maybe. <eg>

Oooh, Wendy! All that build up, all those nerves, and then:

Nobody noticed her.
I simply *love* that.

A lump had appeared out of nowhere and settled itself in her throat. Again. And her eyes were stinging. Again.

She wasn’t going to cry!
Dammit, Wendy. *swallows roughly. again*

Hold in there, Lois! Be strong!

Adore the repetition of 'Again.' - very, very powerful.

“I called Bobby Bigmouth - he hasn’t heard a thing. Not even a whisper of a rumour that anyone wanted me - or any reporter - dead. And that’s really unusual.”
Ah, yes. Bobby Bigmouth - fountain of all that is knowledgeable. <g>

It wasn’t that Bill Henderson was a bad cop. He wasn’t lazy or stupid. He was probably the least corrupt cop she knew, too.
Ah, and there's a bit of Wendy shinning through. <g> Don't get me wrong, it works for Lois as well, but I wonder...

She shouldn’t be taking out her frustration on him. He was here to help. “Okay. Where do we start?”
Okay... phew. She isn't doing the "be nice... and say your goodbyes," thing yet. Had me worried there! wink

Her eyes widened. When Henderson got serious, he really pulled out all the stops!
No kidding!

Wow, Wendy - you either watch a lot of Law and Order, or we've got Police FoLC I don't know about somewhere, because... oh yeah, I'm buying into that. <g>

“I wouldn’t rule out anyone in jail.” Clark spoke for the first time since Henderson had arrived. “After all, the guy who broke into Lois’s apartment could just be the messenger.”
Oooh, clever thinking 99! That never would have occurred to me. I love little tidbits like that - things that make this story so much more. <g>

I'm almost positive this would have been quoted before, but...

“Why did you call Kent? Why not yell for Superman?”

“Oh!” Lois frowned. Why hadn’t she? “I don’t know,” she said slowly. “I guess... Well, I was barely conscious. I think I just acted on instinct.”
Awww! *grunts* wink

It was now almost ten. Nearly seven hours of the twenty-four gone already, and they were no further forward.
See, that's what I love about you, Wendy. Functional and informative. <bg>

Clark picked up the files, remembering just in time to act as if the oversized bundle was heavy.
Okay, I *know* he still needs to protect his secret, but... I'm going to hit that boy!

Okay... My response to this chapter can be summed into one word... Gah. This was really, really well done, Wendy. Really fantastic. Ordinarily, I'd be clammouring for another post. Waving my fist and hollering for more, but... <vbg>

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#25232 11/12/05 01:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know, I've just re-read these comments in preparation for replying to them, and you've left me speechless. I just cannot find the words to thank you enough for all the wonderful things you're saying about this story. I'm touched. blush

Dave, my so-expressive test reader...

I wonder... do you go back and edit these after you've decided where to cut the file into parts, or do you write them thinking 'Man... that would be a *great* opening line!' and then go back and cut there? Because... once again. Fantastic opener. It puts us right back in the frame of mind... reminds us exactly how Lois is feeling and what's hapening and yes... it's perfection in twelve words.
LOL! goofy

José asks:
Are you sure you'll be able to finish this for the deadline?
Oh, now, there's something I'm very happy to answer. Yes, it'll definitely be finished before the end of the month. Since the start of NaFinWipsMo I've written over 20,000 words and 70 pages, so I have every confidence that this'll be finished pretty soon. I think I'm more than 3/4 done now.

But I'm still going to stick to a twice-weekly posting schedule - for one thing, I need to give my BRs a chance to keep up with me, and for another, you guys need time to read! goofy

Thank you all so very much again. Part 6 coming soon.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard