Hey all here is the long awaited Part 2. I apologize that it has taken so long. My goal is to post a part a week, but I can not guarantee this, as I am going to school and just writting this for fun during any spare time I have. Hope that I have not lost any of those who took interest in this story and I thank those who have been supportive and patient with me. Sit back and enjoy.

Disclaimers: Lois and Clark (and all other main characters) are characters of Warner Brothers and ABC, although this Halloween story is mine, for the time being. Some plot twists later on maybe taken from the show or from other Superman media; I will address this accordingly as the story unfolds.

Special Thanks: To my good friend Mike for helping me bounce ideas back and forth, it has really helped me in devloping this story. As well thanks goes out to him for editting my story thus far.

Outside the Daily Planet:
A few minutes later

Clark and Lois hailed a cab, while talking about the new assignment they had just been given. The conversation was not that energetic, but it was better then what Clark was expecting ‘all things considered; at least Lois is responsive,’ Clark thought to himself. They entered the cab.

“To Hal’s,” Lois said to the cabby. The tone in her voice was rather dull.

Hal’s was a specialty store, specializing in everything and anything that was Halloween related. Coincidently the store was owned by a guy named Hal. He was a sweet guy, a retiree from the navy, who ran the store just for the fun of it.

The entire ride to Hal’s was pretty quiet. For the most part Lois spent the ride mumbling under her breath and whining about the fact that she was unable to avoid another year of Halloween.

In an attempt to break the silence Clark said “Ah Lois, it won’t be that bad.”

Lois said nothing.

“I was thinking that we could go to this party as one of the greatest couples,” Clark suggested.

“I don’t think so.”

“Well do you have a better idea? It would be something easy to put together, and seeing as we are partners I think it is something we could pull off.”

“It could also be too obvious, and a little too risky, are cover could easily be blown,” Lois argued.

Clark dropped the issue for the time being. ‘If worse came to worse they could use the idea as a backup; if they found nothing in Hal’s, or if Lois chickened out of the costume thing they could pull it together last minute,’ Clark considered to himself.

At Hal’s:
11:12AM

As Clark finished his thought, they arrived at Hal’s. The cabby pulled alongside the curb, they paid and headed for the door. Clark opened it letting Lois enter first.

“You’re welcome, Lois.”

“Hmm…what Clark?”

“Never mind,” he grinned to himself. Somewhere deep down inside, Lois really did appreciate what he did for her, or so he wanted to believe.

They browsed the entire store, working their way up and down each aisle. Nothing seemed to impress Lois; she had some sort of criticism for each outfit that Clark suggested.

“How about this one?” Clark pointed to an outfit made mostly of chiffon. It resembled the gypsy outfit she had worn when she had done the dance of the seven vales for him.

“Very funny Clark, but NO!”

“Lois you have refused everything that I have suggested. ‘This one is too sparkly, this one too frilly’”, he mocked, “…just pick one already!” he hated raising his tone with Lois, but he needed to get her motivated, or they would not be getting out of there.

“Well Clark, I have not seen you look at one thing. What are you waiting for?” she questioned.

“Fine Lois, if I promise to try something on will you promise to pick something so we can get out of here?” Little did Lois know, but Clark had his costume already picked out and awaiting him at home. Just to make things interesting he let Lois pick out the outfit. Lois did not really care, so she grabbed the first thing off the rack that resembled a costume. Coincidently, it was a Superman costume, or a sad version of it.

‘Oh no, what am I going to do…? If she sees me in the costume she is going to put two and two together…’ Clark panicked. Suddenly he heard a young child’s cry for help. “Saved by the bell,’ he thought.

“Uh Lois I have to go. I just remembered that I have to pick up some dry cleaning.”
“Sure thing Clark you go ahead. I will meet you at the party later.”

“Should I pick you up…say around seven?”

“No Clark it is ok, I will meet you there.”

“OK, but don’t skip out on me!” he looked into her eyes to reassure that she was not lying and would really meet him there.

“Of course not Clark. I will be there I promise,” Lois so wished she was lying, but she knew she had to be there. Knowing that Superman was going was the only thing preventing her from skipping out on Clark. She only prayed that Perry was not sending them out on another ‘fluff’ piece.

In an Alley Situated at the Back of Hal’s Store

Grabbing his tie to loosen it, Clark ran for the alley behind Hal’s store. Before spinning into the Superman suit he looked to see if anyone was around, ‘the coast looks clear’, he thought to himself. He ripped open his shirt and spun in circles. There was a blur of brown and grey that instantly changed into the familiar red and blue. Once in the Superman suit, Clark reached out and flew off into the sky.

Back at Hal’s

Lois headed to the counter to purchase what she had picked out.

“That will be forty-five dollars and ninety-nine cents,” said the nerdy teenager at the counter.

“Forty-five dollars! What do you think I am a millionaire? This is highway robbery! Who is your manager?” Lois was outraged at the price. She hated Halloween and was not prepared or willing to pay that much for an outfit she would only wear once.

“Ma’am I am sorry he is not here at the moment,” the young man’s voice trembled, he was nervous. It was his first day on the job and with his luck he had come face to face with the most irate woman in Metropolis.

Hal the owner of the store overheard all the commotion. From the backroom he yelled, “What’s going on?”

“The lady here refuses to pay for her costume,” the cashier was now acting like a three-year-old tattle-tailing on his kid brother.

“Thought you said he was not here,” she whispered in an angry tone.

Hal walks in from the backroom muttering, “what la…,” he cuts himself off realizing that it is Lois Lane, his good friend Sam Lane’s daughter. ‘My she has grown up a lot since I last saw her, definitely a good improvement,’ he chuckled to himself. “Lo Lo, that you? Wow you certainly have grown up, what has it been ten years since I last saw you?” Hal kept talking not letting Lois have a word in edge wise, “I tell ya what, you go out and put that outfit on for your uncle Hal, and I’ll give it to ya for free.”

Lois pondered for a moment, ‘A free costume that I'll only wear once is better than a forty-five dollar one.’ Lois headed into the changing room and after a few minutes returned wearing the costume.

Hal looks at her, “Lo Lo you go out in that and the guys’ll be killing for ya.”

Lois blushed with modesty. As she looked into the mirror she thought, ‘He could be right, but there is only one man I hope notices me tonight and that man’s Superman.” Lois headed back into the changing room and got out of the costume.

When she returned Hal took the costume for her, “Here lemme wrap that up for ya hunny.” He wrapped it up in some tissue paper and then stuck it in a brown paper bag. Lois thanked him and was on her way, doing her best to keep the bag as discrete as possible.

In the Sky:
Overlooking Metropolis

Using his super hearing to guide him he headed to where the trouble was. It sounded like the cries were coming from the Metropolis department store. ‘That’s weird…,’ Clark thought to himself. Rarely if ever, since Superman’s arrival in Metropolis had there been trouble at the department store. Now knowing where the commotion was coming from he decided to get into full gear.

Suddenly there was a streak of red and blue the shape of rocket heading in the direction of the department store. Superman landed just outside of the building. Of course there was the usual excitement from any bystanders, “Hey look its Superman,” one person said “Superman I love you,” another shouted. Clark had no time for publicity right now and at super speed he went into the building.

Inside Metropolis’ Department Store

From inside everything looked fine. There were the usual shoppers buying goodies for Halloween and kids trying on costumes with the assistant of their parents. ‘So what were the cries for help I was hearing?’ Clark pondered in his mind. Just to make sure everything was fine he used X-Ray vision on everything. Nothing looked out of place and everyone looked safe. As Clark was leaving he spotted a security guard.

The security guard in return noticed Superman. While walking towards the man of steel the guard asked, “Is there anything I can help you with Superman? Buying a little candy for the little ones are we?” the man joked.

“No,” Clark said in his authoritative voice, “I heard some cries for help and they sounded like they were coming from here. Has anything happened within the last 20 minutes?”

“Not that I have noticed. Everything seems to be fine, but I will be sure to keep an extra careful lookout.”

The man seemed rather sincere and reassuring, yet Clark did not trust this guy. It was as if he was overdoing his sincerity, but why. Clark did not want to lead the guard on to his suspicions so very casually and as naturally as he possibly could he said, “Thanks and if there is any trouble be sure to call for me.”

“Of course Superman I will,” as they continued their conversation the guard walked Superman to the door. “Well if that’s all for now I better get back to doing my job,” the man said.

“Yes and I am sorry again for the trouble.”

“Not a problem at all. It is good to know that you are spending extra time scanning the streets. At this time of year things can get rather crazy and even dangerous, wouldn’t want to see anything happen to those innocent kids who are just enjoying the holiday fun.” With those final words the security guard’s eyes seemed to glaze over; almost change to a fiery red colour, and he gave Clark an evil smirk. This sent chills up Clark’s spine.

Clark left, immediately flying back up to the sky he headed for his apartment. On the way home Clark contemplated all scenarios and replayed the happenings over and over in his mind. He was puzzled by everything that had just happened. ‘Maybe I imagined the evil glare of the security guard…maybe he is a trustworthy guy…after all there was no sign of trouble once I arrived, so I could’ve easily imagined that too.’ The smarter side of Clark doubted that his mind was playing tricks with himself, ‘…was this connected to the story Perry was sending Lois and himself on? Is Lex involved?’ More then ever Clark had plenty of questions and still no answers.’

Thanks, Judy