Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Okay, I had planned on reading it through and then coming back to comment, but... Oh, God.

*This line*:

She’d been murdered. The only difference was that she was still walking around. A living corpse.
I had to say something before I forgot what it felt like to be kicked in the face. To feel that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'm sure it'd have the same effect on the second read through, but... wow, Wendy. Past tense. She used past tense. *She'd* *been* *murdered*. I'm probably insane for focusing on that, but... dead. She thought she was already dead. That's just... extraordinarily powerful.

I actually have to take a minute to compose myself...

She thought it was a man, but even that could be wrong. Had he been tall? Short? Stocky? Thin? Young? Old?
He was medium build with dark blue brown eyes... okay, so I needed a little comic relief after the zombie line. <g>

And...

And the warning - or was it a promise?

... you’ve got only twenty-four hours to live...
I *love* this line. A warning or a promise. Love the... mixed signals.

Clark’s fingers tightened around hers. “Don’t, Lois.”
And then she does... she loses it... I love that she gives in to the panic, Wendy. Really. And the way you've written it... wow.

A lover. A man who would love her and cherish her and want to be with her. A man she could marry and live the rest of her life with. Someone to belong to.
Okay, I had to point that out... because... I love that you did. How... how *human* is that? When faced with our mortality we just want somewhere to belong. Some*one* to belong to. Even Mad Dog Lane... and... yeah. I really, really love that you've not ignored that in favour of the MDL image, even in her darkest hour, as it may be tempting to do. I love how she breaks down in front of Clark. That she breaks down at all. Loses control... because it isn't a situation she's in control of... and... as sadistic as it sounds, I love that she feels helplessness. Love how... human she is in this. Well done, Wendy. smile

That maybe, just maybe, this might not be the last day of her life.
You're not pulling any punches, are you? <g>

Yes, well... I'm determined that I'm not going to cry or get teary eyed or... have my stomach plummet to my feet... again... this chapter.

There were still things they could do. Still ways his powers could be useful. Speed-reading, for one. Plus searching her apartment for clues the police might not find. And super-speed - sorting through documents, getting around, bringing people and things to places they might need to be.
Oooh! This means a revelation, right?

He's going to tell her... he's *got* to tell her!

Just a couple of days ago, they’d heard that they’d been nominated in the Meriwether Awards for Journalistic Excellence.
Oh... wouldn't that just... I mean... imagine if they won and she wasn't there... oh, boy... there's that sinking feeling and those prickly eyes again. I can't help it. You're killing me, Wendy. You're going to kill me and replace me with a blubbering clone before this is out. <g>

That's just... what a kick in the face that must be. What timing.

Not even Superman would take him away from her today. It didn’t matter what the problem was; others would just have to handle it without his help.
Nice. Very nice. Not just that he's committed himself to her today, but that he's acknowledged, even if he didn't mean to, that Superman takes him away from her.

His luck was in - it was one of his Planet business cards. “Here. Clark Kent. City desk. Any trouble, you can call me.”

The driver took it, barely glancing at it before stashing it in his cup-holder, and Clark hurried to exit the cab and join Lois.
Oooh, I have a feeling that will be important. <g>

And then she saw the shattered window, and the shards of glass on the floor.

“Yes.” The officer obviously saw her looking. “We’re pretty sure that’s where your intruder got in. And the good news is that we got a few high-quality prints from the frame. If he’s got a record, we’ll find him.”
Oooh!!! *pumps his fist in the air* laugh

Time was ticking away. Already nearly five hours had passed. Time she couldn’t afford to waste.
Thanks, again, for the reminder. <g>

Love the subtle little updates instead of a '19 hours remaining' type of thing at the top of each section.

“Depends if she likes being dead more.”
Touché. <g>

All right... comments are a bit more sparse this time, because... I simply *couldn't* stop reading. This whole part was... fantastic. Amazing. Brilliant. I just... there's a heavy feeling in my chest, and I *was* in a good mood earlier, so that says a *lot*.

And Wendy... what do I need to do to get more of this story? I'll do anything! <g>

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Kerth
Kerth
Kiss a lover in a tropical twilight.

A lover. A man who would love her and cherish her and want to be with her. A man she could marry and live the rest of her life with. Someone to belong to.

That was never going to happen. Not now.
Oh, Lois, there's someone right beside you that would be happy to be that person! Find the antidote, then find happiness with Clark.

Wendy, thanks for another section of powerful writing. thumbsup Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Everyone else will gush over the emotions, and the tension. I just want to point out that Clark is obviously heading for a dilemna here.

He doesn't consciously see any problem with his continueing on as he always has been with Lois. He's her partner, and her best friend, and together they will find a way.

But, he is also Superman, and the longer he keeps that fact under wraps the more jeapordy he places Lois in. He has, if off-handedly, noted it himself when he thinks about the taxi ride, rather than flying her back home.

His unconscious tendency to instinctively protect his secret can only cost them time. Time that he could help shorten by the open use of his powers.

And I know that he has sworn that no Superman emergencies will take him away from her, but what happens if he is confronted with a situation where lives will be lost if he doesn't act. It's one thing if he doesn't know about the situation. But a fire at a local orphanage, or a deadly hostage situation. What will he do when other, perhaps several, lives are at risk. The good of the many verses the good of the one sort of thing.

It will be interesting to see how you answer these questions of conscience as the story unfolds.

With Clark's reluctance to share his whole self with Lois cost her too much time, and perhaps her life?

Stay tuned.

Tank (who thinks that he sees a way for Clark to reveal himself to her and in the end still preserve his secret)

Top Banana
Top Banana
OMG! This is awesome! I cannot wait for Lois' dreams to come true with Clark! More soon...PLEASE! hail

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Features Writer
Features Writer
I've got to disagree with Tank on this one. Telling Lois might waste even more precious time. There's an entire package of emotions- anger, betrayal, more anger, that come with the revelation that her partner has been lying to her. Lois needs to be on top of her game, and Clark can't afford to tell her for fear that in her distraction she'll miss something vital. He can't afford to tell her until after the antidote is found.

Columnist
Columnist
WOW!!! This story is just so powerful. Your writing...it's just...amazing. hail I second everything Dave said. And I love how Clark stood up for Lois with the police.

But I'm with Tank. Clark is letting his automatic protection of his secret interfere. It is slowing them down. He needs to finally tell her so she can also use it to her advantage. She may think of things he could do as Superman that he may not come up with himself.

I can't wait for more of this story! I'm on the edge of my seat!

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
Columnist
Columnist
WOW....Another post that is just SO SO powerful. I am completely hooked on this story. I love the angsty ones best and this one has it in spades!!!! thumbsup

She didn’t want to die. Not now. Not yet. She had so much that she wanted to achieve! So many things she’d never experienced.

Kerths to win. Pulitzers. World-shattering events to see, to analyse, to write about. Places she wanted to visit - Paris, Tahiti, the Alps, the Great Barrier Reef.

Things she wanted to do - go deep-sea diving, learn how to parachute, get better at skiing, fly across the Grand Canyon, drive through Death Valley, see Old Faithful erupt, sip retsina in a real Greek taverna. Kiss a lover in a tropical twilight.

I particularly LOVE that little bit because I can say (unfortunately) from personal experiance that THAT is exactly what happens when you think you are going to die. It's incredibly surreal the little things that pop into your head. People you haven't seen in a while, things you were planning to do or haven't done. Everything feels so unfinished and you've captured that brilliantly here.

Waiting ever so patiently for the next post...pretty pretty please make it soon???? laugh

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy

WOW, this is brilliant. smile1

Tricia cool

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Clark tells Lois he's Superman, she'll be so damn mad she'll live in spite of herself.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
WOW Wendy. That's the third chapter and the tension you build hadn't drop a bit from the beginning. Powerful writing. I've swear to myself not to cry this time before begin to read that chapter and I failed. When Lois thought about all she'd be missing, you got me. I've cried in spite of myself.

Clark is wonderful to made all the phone calls and say the horrible story to everybody himself. Lois wouldn't have to do it. I think I hope that he will tell her he's superman, because she deserves to know it before dying (and just a reminder, wendy: I don't want her to die. You have to write an happy ending for the sake of my sanity).

I would like to read the next chapter right now.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow. I'm still blown away by this story. I'm anxious to find out what happens next. Poor Lois! Hhow, just how, are you going to fix this?

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Good part, Wendy!

I loved that Clark started making phone calls while Lois was showering and getting dressed; as poussin says, he's sparing her at least a little bit there, by telling the story for her.

And the things he's thought of so far - lots of research, word on the street and calling in favors, getting Henderson on it right away - are all things that they would often do in the course of getting a good story. But not necessarily right away at the beginning of an investigation... so all that stuff is like calling out the 'big guns' for this investigation.

Should Clark or should he not tell Lois he's Superman? Hmmm. Well, I see good arguments for both options. I'm leaning toward his secret simply not being important to him faced with her imminent death... But as Tank pointed out, he's so used to protecting the secret when he's with her that he isn't even thinking of how he could 'cut corners' by using his superpowers, regardless of whether she witnesses him doing so or not.

If he doesn't tell her, and if she lives dizzy Gee, I hope that scenario isn't that he tells her, and then she dies. (Sorry. Couldn't help it. Blame Tank. /me ducks)

They only have the one clue, don't they, right now? They don't know what the mystery stuff is, so they can't trace it to its source. They're assuming that the threat she remembers is based on something associated with her job, and it certainly sounded like it.

Oh, yeah, and SJH:
Clark tells Lois he's Superman, she'll be so damn mad she'll live in spite of herself.
rotflol

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Actually, Shayne I do see your point and have to say that I agree with much of what you say. Ordinarily the emotional fallout from such a revelation would be counter-productive and time consuming. Neither of which would be a good thing.

In the scheme of the revelation situation, Lois' main points of hurt and anger are a perceveived betrayal of trust, and her own failing to 'see' it sooner. Her anger at herself for not figuring it out will always be there and can't be helped, but her anger at Clark is largely based on the extreme length of time he allowed to pass before he finally 'came clean'. Because of that she is forced to question their relationship as friends and partners. If I read the time frame of this story correctly, this just might be about the right time for Clark to be telling her even if she wasn't in such dire peril.

Lois always made a point of telling Clark that she understood why he couldn't tell her right away, or when she was with Luthor, given him knowing Luthor's true nature. But the fact that he kept it from her when they'd moved on to the acknowledged 'best friends' aspect of their partnership is what hurt her the most. She had gotten to the point where she shared with Clark confidences that she shared with no one else but he obviously didn't feel he could do the same.

But if they were just entering into that phase of their relationship. If they were just coming to that understanding of how deep their friendship really is. Then it would be the perfect time for Clark to reveal his last, and largest secret to her... or not.

I guess it's up to Wendy wink

Tank (who thinks a case could be made for the revealtion being a distraction for Lois, helping take her mind off her own impending doom)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think he should tell her -- no more wasting time in cabs during rush hour, for goodness sake! And I do think Lois would be able to shelve any feelings of betrayal until after the immediate crisis is resolved... she's good at repressing her emotions wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
i love the story can't wait to read along. It is so exciting. Wow.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Wow! Great part. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't know how to quote, so I'm going to have to do this without them.

Great part. You have me on the edge of my seat.

The good Inspector surfaces again smile

I'm with PJ on the wasting time in cabs bit, but I'm sure you know what you're doing.

I love how Clark is so scattered right now that he's forgetting things--just goes to show that where Lois is concerned, he can't possibly be calm. Although, he really needs to pull it together asap.

All these tragic moments are making me whinging

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A wonderful wonderful wonderful part, Wendy!

She turned her head, buried her face against Clark’s shoulder and clung to him. To the tiny, faint shred of hope that, together, the two of them might yet manage to find a solution.

That maybe, just maybe, this might not be the last day of her life.
I love this image of her clinging to him. This story is set in that wonderful time where Lois always tries to maintain that she doesn't need anyone, and this moment she is clinging desperately to hope, which is in the form of Clark. Of the two of them. Stronger together wink as always.

On his first outing as Superman, he’d found her holding a ticking bomb. In his first week in the role, he’d saved her life at least three times...It was different at a time like this, when the threat was hanging over her like a ticking bomb.
Love the parallels here about Lois's fear and ticking bombs... poignant and a perfect metaphor for the situation. Two very different situations, two very different sides of Lois's complex personality, presented with the same imagery... thumbsup nice touch.

Also loved Henderson's comment about the perp not being okay. Perfect Henderson, and a called-for comment, given that this is Lois he's talking about! laugh

So... I'm just dying over here. I'm with these guys, I see that a revelation MUST be coming up somewhere. I mean, he HAS to tell her! Right? Doesn't he? And she really will have no time to react; it'll all have to be filed away. I love the idea that he could tell her and she pretty much would just have to push it back, accept it super quick, witness his super feats in their mutual race against time, and then just deal with it later. Assuming he tells her. HE HAS TO!!! He'll do what is in her best interest, surely, especially since right now he feels that he's done so much wrong. Right??

Also... I just don't think he'd risk that she could die and not know what he'd been hiding from her all that time. If she died and he he never told her, PLUS his secrecy possibly slowed them down, he might as well sit in a vat of liquidized kryptonite... wink

This story is so fascinating to me. But it's killing me at the same time! What I could really go for is to see you write that thing... you know, about the toys. About putting them back together! I could really go for it right about now. wink

Anyway, please post part 4 soon!! please please please??!!! smile

~NICOLE

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What a wonderful dillemma! Do I agree with Tank or Shayne. Hmmm decisions decisions... I see both points. I think I would opt on telling her and dealing with her anger later, but that is just me. Hopefully you will kindly dig us out of this hopeless mess. I have faith in you. Even if you kill her I know you will probably end up bringing her back from the dead with H.G. Wells or some merry little elves who carry her off into the sunset. I am in for the ride no matter what you decide to do. I am strapped in and ready to go. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
Kerth
Good conversations with Perry and Henderson smile

Keep writing wink

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard