Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story! I just caught up with it. I also forgot he had super-hearing, so that was a nice touch. goofy

JD
thumbsup

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks Seme and JD smile

JD wrote:
I also forgot he had super-hearing, so that was a nice touch. goofy
Pam said the same thing! I'm wondering if it's not clear... or if I could add a line that would make it clearer, like when she saw him looking at her, it was "almost like he could hear her"... or is that too obvious? And then Wendy wrote that when they started whispering, she was waiting for the sign that Clark heard, so she was looking for it... I am not sure what the overall take was, though... Hmm...

Seme wrote:
Is there a possibility there might be a sequel? hyper
I hadn't thought about a sequel actually. I'll keep it in mind, if anyone would want to read a continuation. The downfall of Luthor, most likely wink

Thanks again, everyone! Glad you enjoyed the story!

~NICOLE

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nicole, I would leave it as it is. Those who remember about Clark's hearing will have fun guessing whether or not he'll hear, and those who temporarily forget will realise as soon as he interrupts Lois and Luthor at the altar.

And anyone who doesn't figure it out then has the reminder later, in the section where you switch to Clark's point of view. It's all made clear there:

He’d made it all the way to the door.

And then…

He heard her voice. Her quiet whisper – almost like a plea – saying she did not want to get married.

He felt like his heart had stopped. And she continued.
I think adding in any reminder earlier would feel too obvious, as if you think readers couldn't possibly work it out for themselves. Whether we get it at the time or later, it still works. smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks, Wendy

It was what I was thinking too, because the addition of the line kind of looked glaring, like a hit on the head. And I do not want to do that to anyone. It's true, since it's in the middle of Lois's POV, it might not be completely obvious immediately to everyone, but it does all get explained later in Clark's.

~NICOLE smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Nicole, I really enjoyed this little story, but I, too, didn't realize Clark would hear Lois's whisper at the altar--not because I forgot he had super hearing but because he seemed so totally involved in his own despair that I didn't think he could notice anything else. What I ended out thinking was that Clark had made the decision to stop the wedding on his own, and I was feeling disgusted because Lois hadn't had any real part in saving herself. The person who has to make the biggest change (Lois, in this story) is the one who has to make the grand gesture for the ending to be satisfying, and I was feeling cheated for Clark--until the story finally switched to his POV and I realized that he had actually heard her attempt to stop the wedding.

Anyway, what I was thinking you might do is put a brief line in this last section from Clark's POV:
He tried. He did. But his shaking legs would not support him and in the end, he leaned forward, resting his hands on the pew in front of him. He couldn’t stand. He couldn’t look. He couldn’t even be there. But… there was nowhere for him to go now.
Possibly insert it after "He couldn't look," and put something about trying not to listen, but not being able to block out the sound of the doors opening and taffeta swishing as she started down the aisle toward … him.

While I understand Wendy's point, I think this would be a fairly seamless way to remind readers who had temporarily forgotten about Clark's abilities and to reassure those who think he's temporarily deafened by his thoughts.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Features Writer
Features Writer
say nicole, I have the prefect trailer for u. but my computer is not that much up to date. but it this song call (Listen to your Heart). it goes great with the story. but i don,t know who sings it. is there a way u can do it or ask someone who can. thumbsup

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey! Sorry; I've been out of commission for a bit! Getting caught up on reading and whatnot now.

Sheila .... thank you for your suggestion about the hearing dilemma. It gives me food for thought. If anything, I will try to find a way to keep it about the same, so some people can have the fun of guessing and others can be pleasantly surprised when the POV switches. I've sent it to a GE, but I will brainstorm with her about it. Thanks for reading the story, and for your feedback smile

Lovesuper97, thanks for your comments too! I am not too familiar with trailers actually, but I do know the song you're talking about. It's a great song by Roxette. The group DHT recently made a techno remix of it as well. So I'm not sure which version you're thinking about. Most likely the original. Anyone who would want to do a trailer for this story is more than welcome to do so; I'd be so interested to see it! And I agree that this song works really well with this story. I AM actually interested in the whole music video aspect of all of this, but am not sure I have the means to do it; I wouldn't know how to begin to get my clips onto the computer. Is that what a trailer is? A music video? blush I'm lost!

~NICOLE

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nicole! You've never seen a fanfic trailer? Wow! You don't know what you're missing! goofy

Here's where you'll find all the fanfic trailers made to date. Enjoy!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Features Writer
Features Writer
i heard the slow version of it cool huh cool cool thumbsup

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
say nicole, I have the prefect trailer for u. but my computer is not that much up to date. but it this song call (Listen to your Heart).
Actually, a little bird on irc told me recently that someone might be working on this one, even as we speak. Although as a music vid, I believe, rather than a trailer. No promises - never count your trailers/music vids until they post wink - but keep an eye out in FoLC Productions and you might just get your wish.

And even if someone posts it as a music vid, that's no good reason why it can't be used as a trailer for a specific story.

Nicole, I haven't read the story but I've got enough data from this thread to understand your dilemma and, for what it's worth, I have to say that I agree with Wendy. I'm a big fan of not necessarily having to tell the reader everything they need to know right there and then and so, for me, if the information that's needed is there at some point in the story, before the end, that's good enough for me. I prefer that to having everything spelled out for me, upfront.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Okay, so I've just spent hours (since my computer is a super slow wink connection) becoming familiar with the wonderful world of trailers! These are great! So many of my favorite stories are up there! And a few I hadn't read, but will now that the trailer's hooked me! What a great idea. Thanks for the link, Wendy. Someone had even done a trailer for my story Have A Little Faith in Me, I coudln't believe I hadn't heard about all of this earlier!!

Lovesuper97, yeah the original/slow version by Roxette is the best one!! I'd be interested to see a trailer or something with this song; I just couldn't do it myself. I honestly wouldn't know where to begin. How do people get the clips onto the computer? I am technologically illiterate!! blush I have the utmost respect for those who aren't!

Thanks for your imput, LabRat, about the hearing thing; I am thinking the same thing because every time I DO try to add even just one more line, it feels so glaringly obvious. And that's not what I want. I keep ending up with it being the way I had posted it. I can see all points on this, really, but in the end, I think I'm just going to do it that way and let people guess and others be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks!

~NICOLE laugh

Columnist
Columnist
I just finished reading this story, and I loved it smile A wonderful twist on the end of season one. Clark being all heroic as Clark, not Superman....great stuff smile

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you! I do believe he's quite the hero in his everyday ordinary man clothes wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard