(I hope you are enjoying this. Let me know if you think anything should be changed or is unclear, okay? Thanks, Nancy)
Part 7

Lois turned away from her partner and the society columnist in disgust. What in the world did he see in her? She couldn’t believe they were going away together for the weekend. Plus, he was breaking a date with her, their first date, no less. She’d thought he ‘wanted’ to go out with her. He’d been the one to ask her out, after all!

Visions of Clark with that hussy filled her mind, along with memories of the jungle music she’d heard through the phone, that time Cat had invited him over shortly after he’d been hired. Surely he wasn’t still interested in that…whatever. As Lois had gotten to know Clark better, he’d practically begged her to believe that it was an innocent hour or two he’d spent there before Perry had called him back to the newsroom. She’d finally believed him. Obviously that was a stupid thing to do. Some boy scout he was. Men couldn’t be trusted. They were all the same. So what if Clark seemed different. His true colors were beginning to show.

What was wrong with her eyes, anyway, she thought as she brushed her hand across the moisture on them. Men are just not worth it! And to think she’d almost gone out with him. No telling what she could catch from a man like that!

Unable to see the computer screen clearly, she jerked a tissue from the box and blew her nose, rubbing her eyes. That lying, cheating, no good…. Granted she didn’t own him. But he was her PARTNER!

She turned her chair toward his desk. He’d messed up their story. Her elbows on her desk supported the weight of her body as she steadied herself from shaking. Angrily, she grabbed another tissue and blew her nose.

In the air overhead, Clark was mad. He’d rather be fired than spend a weekend with Catherine Grant in a couples resort. If he had any backbone whatsoever, he’d just go back to Perry and resign. So this was ‘Perry’s Doghouse’. Lois had been in it once last year. Undercover assignment, my foot!

Clark landed on his balcony. He x-rayed, then opened the balcony door and stepped inside, spinning back into Clark Kent and replacing the dark rimmed glasses on his face. He had to pack for the weekend and return to the planet in 45 minutes.

He jerked the top dresser drawer open and pulled out a few things, then looked through his closet for another suit and casual clothes. Cat had been after him ever since the day he’d stepped foot in the newsroom. She was a woman with a different man every time he saw her. A well notched garter belt, Lois had inferred. He ran a hand through his hair as he scanned his large selection of ties, shaking his head. How would he survive the weekend? He gathered his toiletries from the bathroom, putting everything into his suit bag.

He needed to talk to Lois, to explain everything. She was furious.. After she’d finally agreed to go out with him, Cat had blown it in less than a minute. He strode across to the phone beside the bed and punched in her number. She wasn’t home yet. The answering machine came on.

“Uh, Lois? It’s me, Clark. I owe you an explanation. Perry’s making me go on assignment with Cat this weekend. He was hopping mad at me for missing deadline. This is the doghouse, he said. Lois, it’s not like it looks, believe me. I’d quit my job to keep from going, but…well, I…uh…I like working with you. Look, this is just for the weekend. Somehow I don’t think Cat’s going to be as businesslike as you were when we stayed undercover at the Lexor last year.” He sighed audibly. “Well, I’d better get going. I’d give anything to be with you instead. I’m really sorry about our date. Can we get together for pizza and a movie when I get back? I’ll try to call sometime over the weekend. I don’t know if I’ll be able to get away from Cat, though. Please don’t be mad at me! Bye.” He hung up the phone, his hand resting dejectedly on the receiver. Maybe she’d understand. He picked the phone back up to cancel the tuxedo he’d put on hold for tonight.

Having finished packing and unable to think of anything else he needed to do, he went outside and called a taxi. He wanted to make sure he was seen arriving, for what Superman’s life was worth.

He stepped out of the bright yellow vehicle, paid the driver through the window and carried his bag toward the building. The big round Daily Planet sphere didn’t afford him the feeling of contentment that it usually did.

If only he had the guts to tell Perry he was Superman, he wouldn’t be in this mess. Perry was a good guy. He’d help him out. He’d understand wouldn’t he?

Upstairs in her office, Lois spotted a file on Clark’s desk. She hadn’t seen it earlier, he must have brought it in with him. She got up to check it out, amazed he’d not put it away. He always cleared off his desk before leaving.

Sure enough, the file had his notes in it. The jerk, he didn’t even tell her he’d left it there for her to find. She brought it back over to her own desk and opened the incomplete article she’d sent to Perry. He hadn’t used it. She knew he wouldn’t. There weren’t enough backed-up facts to run it. She pulled out her red marker and went through Clark’s notes, marking what she needed to add to the article. He didn’t deserve to have his name on it alongside her own. The scumbucket!

She working his information into the article, read it over and sent it to Perry. She pushed out her chair and headed to his office.

“I found Clark’s notes and finished the article, Perry.”

“Thanks, Lois. At least it’ll make the morning edition now.” He glanced up from his work and leaned back in his chair. “You know, Darlin’, this job isn’t all its cracked up to be.”

She grimaced. “You can say that again!”

Before Perry had a chance to let her in on the situation at hand, she turned on her heel and went back to her desk.

According to Clark’s watch, the limo would be there in five minutes. He watched the honking traffic, wishing he was going anywhere but with Cat. The horse and buggies at the tourist stand in the center of the road had to wait until rush hour was over before they were allowed on the street again. He watched a well groomed dark brown horse swish its tail and stomp its back leg. It reminded him of the horse he’d had as a boy, and the hours he’d spent grooming it and confiding his troubles to it.

He’d have to be quick on the draw to stay out of Cat’s clutches yet look like a couple. If Superman wasn’t such a nice guy, he’d certainly think of a way to pay Perry back for this one. He’d heard him laughing as he and Cat left the office. He shook his head. Deadlines. That stupid camera. That stupid, destroyed camera. That was a problem he’d have to face on Monday. He’d not even gotten one photo from it. Now he’d have to replace it…if he wasn’t going to let Perry in on his secret. Maybe he should tell him.

Just then, a taxi pulled up. The door opened and Cat got out, speaking huskily to the driver and winking as she walked away, swinging her hips. Clark wished he didn’t have to hear every single thing that went on around him. He sighed as he watched the leering driver slowly drag his eyes back to the road. Great. Every man wanted her, but he got to be with her. He’d never be late for deadline again. Never. The world would be on its own. He wished he could actually follow through on such a resolution! He shook his head, knowing be out there helping whenever there was a choice between a life and a deadline. Clark Kent was doomed.

His manners always ahead of himself, he walked over to meet Cat, taking her suitcase and offering her his elbow. She slipped her hand through his arm and whispered, “We’re going to have a grrrreaaat time, Clark.”

He rolled his eyes and was about to respond when a white stretch limo pulled up. Perry had ordered that for them? Good grief. Was there no shame? What story was Cat working on anyway? It was wasting a lot of Daily Planet money?