Chapter Six

Lana was too excited to sleep. The memory of shooting through clouds, of pacing a formation of geese, of hovering at what seemed like the edge of space, was too recent, too intense, to allow her to relax. She glanced at the bedside clock. Three-fourteen AM. She’d been lying in bed for over two hours, and by Africa time she should have been awake long before anyway, so she changed back into jeans and tennis shoes.

The barn drew her. She wasn’t sure why, but she felt like she needed to see the ship and the globe again. She hadn’t been down there for almost a year. It was time to check in with Bob, and not just for investment advice.

She activated the door lift, the one that Clark and Jonathan had installed after their freshman year. The door was far too heavy for her to lift alone, and the palm panel beside the empty saddle rack recognized only herself and the three Kents. She slipped down the steps and touched the panel on the wall that opened the secret room.

She felt the thrill again. She reached out and touched the ship that had carried Clark across the dark void to her. It never failed to amaze her that a small child could survive such a journey. She reached up to touch the globe, then pulled back slightly. She felt almost guilty at having been away for so long, but as Bob always reminded her, he was merely a device and not a living being.

After Lana had first communicated with Bob, Clark had built a cradle for the globe that would allow her to activate it without having to hold it, although she didn’t think he’d ever imagined she’d go down there alone. She positioned herself carefully and put her hands on the globe.

-----

>>> Hello, Lana. <<<

Hi, Bob. Long time no see.

>>> Although we have sent electronic messages to each other, we have not experienced interactive communication for the previous ten months, six days – <<<

Hey, I’m sorry, okay? I’ve been pretty busy.

>>> I know that you have. And I am not complaining. Do you wish to review your financial transactions at this point in time? <<<

No, not right now. I just want to touch base with you on some personal things.

>>> Very well. Congratulations on your assignment in Kenya. The preliminary results from the dig are most impressive, as are your article submissions. I project the probability that all three of them will be published soon to be over ninety percent. <<<

You do keep up, don’t you?

>>> Of course. I have access to all broadcast frequencies in the area, any satellite transmissions within visual range, along with a direct connection to the Internet. My data gathering subroutines are quite busy. Clark has also discussed your accomplishments with me several times. He is quite proud of you. <<<

Oh. That’s nice to know.

>>> He is also concerned about your reaction to his Superman persona. I am not certain why, but he feels – I suppose ‘torn’ would be an appropriate term. <<<

What are you talking about?

>>> Clark is justifiably proud of his accomplishments, yet he feels you do not appreciate the magnitude of what he does. He is glad that you do not love him only for his special abilities, but he is puzzled that they do not seem to matter to you greatly. <<<

I’m not sure what you mean.

>>> Clark, in his Superman persona, has performed a number of marvelous feats resulting in many lives saved and has greatly reduced the loss of property in a number of instances. He is concerned that you see only his civilian persona and prefer not to deal with the superhero. <<<

Maybe this will help. We went flying tonight.

>>> I am aware of this. You just returned from Africa by means of your planet’s primitive powered aircraft. <<<

No, I mean I went flying with Superman.

>>> <<<

Bob? Are you okay?

>>> I was merely processing the information, Lana. This is not an eventuality to which I had assigned a high probability. <<<

Really?

>>> Really. Given your lack of past involvement with Clark’s Superman persona, the probability I had assigned to this event was less than ten percent. <<<

Makes you think, doesn’t it?

>>> It makes me compute. <<<

Ha-ha. See, Bob, you do have a sense of humor.

>>> If my response was humorous, Lana, the effect was unintentional. This step in your relationship will generate a shift in my probability assignments. <<<

Okay. Maybe you should know that we’re getting married.

>>> My most recent data indicates a wedding some four to five months from this date. <<<

You’ll have to compute again. We’re getting married today, as soon as we can find someone to perform the ceremony.

>>> <<<

Bob? Hey, Bob, are you there?

>>> You have indeed presented me with an interesting piece of data. This will shift many more of my probability assignments. <<<

For the better, I hope.

>>> That would depend largely on your point of view. <<<

Now that sounded like a joke to me.

>>> Upon reevaluation, I can perceive that you might interpret my response as an attempt at humor. Thank you for your instruction in this aspect of humanity. Kryptonians were not noted for their sense of humor. <<<

Yeah, Clark needs still needs some work on his. Although he’s usually pretty funny. Are you done with your calculations yet?

>>> You do understand that my computations would be more accurate and require less input data if you humans were more consistent in their actions. <<<

That’s us, inconsistent and funny. We humans exist only to make your computations more complex.

>>> Your attempt at sarcasm is duly noted. Pursuant to this new information, Lana, I must ask you a question. From one human to another, I believe that it would be perceived as a highly personal question, but it is not intended as such. My probability database requires this information. <<<

Okay, shoot.

>>> Please understand also that I am asking for information only. I am not attempting to give you advice or guide you in any way. <<<

You know, Bob, the last time we went through this song and dance, I dropped one course and picked up another lab.

>>> And was the outcome of your decision favorable or unfavorable? <<<

It was lots better than getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

>>> Or being struck firmly in a sensitive portion of one’s anatomy. <<<

Hey! That had to be a joke, lame as it was.

>>> I confess, that one was intended to be humorous. I am glad you perceive it as even marginally funny. However, I must ask this question without any attempt at humor or intrusion into your private life. <<<

Well, now that you’ve got me good and worried, go ahead and ask.

>>> Do you and Clark anticipate the conception of children in the early stages of your life together? <<<

Whoa! You’re asking me if we’re planning to have kids?

>>> Yes. <<<

Wow. We – I guess we haven’t talked about it much.

>>> Now I must ask you another question. >>>

Another personal one?

>>> Yes. Do you wish to have children quickly? Or would you prefer to wait some period of time before adding to your family? <<<

Well, we each have one more year of undergraduate work, and I’ve got one more field assignment to do to fulfill my scholarship requirements. And I’d prefer to enjoy life with Clark for a while before we fill our lives with little Clarks and little Lanas. Why? What difference does this make to you?

>>> I can give you a treatment which will preclude any possibility of your conceiving a child for a specified period of time. It is entirely your own choice to receive it or to refuse it. <<<

Oh. Can I think about it?

>>> Not for long. In order for the treatment to succeed, the female recipient must be free of sperm for three days prior to and six hours following the treatment. If you have remained chaste, as you have previously indicated that you would, you need do so for only six hours more. <<<

And I’d be certain not to get pregnant for how long?

>>> Any period of time from six hundred days to two thousand days. From approximately twenty months to five and one-half years, current Earth calendar. <<<

Wow. I – maybe I’d better talk to Clark.

>>> That is your choice. The only requirement is that you be free – >>>

I know, I know! I understood that part.

>>> Very well. Shall we resume this discussion at a later time? <<<

No. Wait. Yes. No. Well – Dadgummit, no!

>>> I see. Or, rather, I do not. Please restate – >>>

Do it.

>>> Are you certain? Once begun, the treatment cannot be reversed, or halted without risking negative side effects. <<<

I thought you said I had to be – you said I couldn’t have sex for six hours.

>>> You must remain chaste for six hours following the treatment to insure success and to prevent negative side effects. <<<

What negative side effects? No! Forget that! Tell me what the side effects of a successful treatment are.

>>> There are none. You will have no physical or mental symptoms of any kind, save that you will not be able to conceive for the term of the treatment. Following the treatment period, you will be able to conceive normally. Should you wish to renew the treatment, you may do so at any time, as long as you are not already pregnant. <<<

And how long will this treatment term last?

>>> You may choose any time period from six hundred to two thousand days. There is a five-day approximation factor. <<<

Plus or minus five days?

>>> Yes. What period of time do you prefer? <<<

Two thousand days.

>>> Are you certain? That is a long time for a young couple. <<<

I thought you said this was my choice.

>>> It is entirely your own choice. You may choose to accept this procedure or reject it. If you accept it, you select the time period. I merely wish to be certain you understand what you are accepting. <<<

I want the max.

>>> If that is indeed your wish, I am required by my programming to ask you to state this clearly and unmistakably. Lana Lang, is it indeed your choice to accept this treatment which will prevent you from conceiving a child for a specified period of time? <<<

Yes, it is.

>>> Do you feel that I have coerced you or convinced you in any way to this course of action? <<<

No. This is my own free choice.

>>> Very well. What period of time do you choose? <<<

I choose a period of two thousand days.

>>> This is the maximum amount of time possible with this treatment. Is this also clear to you? <<<

Yes.

>>> Then, Lana Lang, if it is indeed your wish to undergo this treatment – one which will prevent conception for a period of two thousand days – please place both of your hands on the top of the globe, side by side. You will feel a numbness, followed by slight pressure in your palms, then a cold sensation. When the cold sensation has dissipated, you may move your hands to the previous position. <<<

Okay. Here we go, Bob.

-----

Lana shifted her hands to the top of the globe. Bob was as good as his mega-bit word. The whole thing took about twelve minutes. When her hands warmed up to normal again, she put them back on the globe’s palm receptors.

-----

Okay, we’re done, right?

>>> We are. I must once again caution you to refrain from sexual activity for the next six hours. <<<

We are talking Earth hours, aren’t we?

>>> My time frame is Kryptonian. An hour on Krypton would be slightly more than half a day on Earth. <<<

What! You mean now I’ve got to wait more than three days to get married? You – you – arrggh!

>>> Forgive me, Lana. My attempt at humor has caused you anxiety. The six-hour frame of reference is Earth time, not Kryptonian. <<<

What? You – you round rat! I ought to drill three holes in you and use you to knock down wooden dowels!

>>> I believe you are referring to a game known as ‘bowling.’ Since my shape is slightly elliptical rather than spherical, I would make a poor bowling ball. <<<

Yeah, you’re probably right. Hey, what time is it?

>>> The time is now oh-four-eighteen, Central Daylight Savings Time. Dawn is eighty-nine minutes away. <<<

Sheesh! I got tons of stuff to do. Good night, Bob. And thanks! Thanks a lot!

>>> You are welcome, Lana. Good night. <<<

Lana trod up the stairs to the floor of the barn, talking to herself. “Six hours. A noon wedding will work just fine.”

“Glad to hear it.”

“Yikes!” Lana jumped and spun at hearing the voice, then grabbed an upright two-by-four, panting hard. “Martha! You scared me out of a year’s growth!”

Martha smiled. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t sleep either, and I saw you come out here. I thought you might like to talk, but I see you already have.”

Lana walked to the panel and pressed it. As the door silently closed, she said, “I didn’t know you were awake or – “ She stopped. “You heard what I said about noon, didn’t you?”

“Yes. I can’t say I’m surprised, either. I’m impressed that you two aren’t sharing pillows and toothbrushes already.”

Lana blushed slightly. “I – have to confess that’s mostly Clark. There’ve been a few times I wasn’t willing to wait, but he always convinced me – reluctantly – that we should. He’s a very patient person. You raised him right, you and Jonathan.”

Martha smiled. “Thank you, from both of us. Clark knocked on our door last night and told us what you two had decided. I plan to call Reverend Matthews right after breakfast. Unless you’d prefer a Justice of the Peace?”

Lana shook her head. “No, I think our pastor should be involved. I just hope he doesn’t freak out at how sudden this looks.”

“He won’t. He’s a farmer too, born and raised. He lived in Nebraska for several years right after seminary, and he’s been here ever since. He and his wife have seen a whole bunch of ‘right-now’ weddings, and they don’t bother him. Assuming, of course, that the bride and groom have known each other for a while beforehand. And he isn’t too fond of pregnant brides, although he won’t refuse.” Martha fixed Lana with a stare. “This isn’t one of those situations, is it?”

Lana felt her face flush but matched Martha’s stare. “No. Despite my best enticements, I’m still a virgin, and, as far as I am aware, Clark is also. I am most definitely not pregnant.”

Martha smiled and nodded. “That’s what I understood you to mean. I just needed to hear it directly.”

“Now that you’ve heard it, when’s breakfast?”

Martha cackled with glee. “I’m glad you’re so practical. You can help keep Clark’s feet on the ground.”

“That will be a super challenge.”

“Ha-ha-ha. I hope you still think it’s funny in ten years.”

“Me too.” Lana rubbed her stomach. “You know, I’m really getting hungry. I hope there’s some good breakfast stuff inside.”

Martha lifted her hand. “Before we go in, Lana, there’s something I’ve been meaning to talk to you about.”

Lana nodded and leaned on a sawhorse. “Okay.”

Martha shifted her posture. She seemed uncomfortable but determined. “Do you think you’re rushing Clark into marriage?”

Lana’s jaw bounced off her chest and she took a staggering step to one side. “Me? Rushing Clark? What kind of girl do you think I am?”

Martha sighed. “The kind I hope we might have had if the baby in the capsule had been a girl.”

Lana stopped and righted herself. “Okay, now you’ve got me totally off-balance. Just exactly what are we talking about here?”

Martha took a hesitant step closer. “We’re talking about your drive, your desperate need for control, your iron will to bend everything and everyone around you in the direction you want them to go.”

“Oh.” Lana crossed her arms. “You’re saying you wish Clark were more like me? Or do you wish that I was more like Clark?”

“I’m not saying either of those things. I am saying that you need to learn that there are circumstances where you’re not going to be in control and you’ll have to deal with them as they come along. That includes people, Lana.”

“I see.”

“I don’t think you do. I meant what I said about you. You’re the kind of daughter any parent should be proud of. You’ve been successful at everything you’ve done so far, I think you’re going to be fabulously successful in your post-school life, and you’re going to help Clark be successful, too. But what about Superman?”

“Superman is part of Clark. They’re the same person.”

Martha shook her head. “No, they’re not. Superman is the disguise Clark wears when he uses his special abilities to help people. Clark Kent is the man you’re planning to marry today. It’s true that what happens to Superman affects Clark, but they’re different people. I just want to be sure you know that.”

Lana licked her lips and frowned in thought for a long moment. “You know he took me flying last night, right?”

“Was it fun?”

“Oh, it was beyond fun. It was great.”

“Was it your first time?”

“Well, yes, it was – ”

“Think about that, Lana. You’ve known Superman for three years, you’re engaged to him, yet tonight was your first flight with him. Why is that?”

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I don’t know.”

“I think you do know.”

Lana leaned against a two-by-four. “Sounds to me like you think you know.”

“I have some ideas, but you’re the one who will ultimately have to deal with it. You and Clark both, actually.”

“What’s your favorite idea of what’s wrong with me?”

“I don’t think it’s something wrong, Lana, I think it’s part of your personality that you don’t like thinking about.”

“Fine! What is it?”

Martha tilted her head to one side. “You sure you want to hear this?”

“Why not? It’s my wedding day, after all. My mother-in-law is supposed to shower wisdom upon me and brighten my day continually.”

“Okay. I think you’re hesitant to involve yourself too deeply with Superman because you have no control over Clark when he’s wearing the Suit. And it shows up in your relationship with him when he has a difficult rescue and you can’t seem to help him get over it. Oh, you try your best to comfort him, you make yourself available, you make no demands on him, you tell him that he’s done his best, but you don’t connect with him on an emotional level. You don’t empathize with him. You don’t know how to ease Superman’s pain.”

Lana’s arms tightened until she was hugging herself. “So you’re saying I’m an emotional cripple?”

“Not at all. If you were, you wouldn’t be able to love Clark, and I have no doubt that you do really love him. You simply haven’t gotten to the point of allowing yourself not to be in charge of everything that happens to you and around you.”

“You think I’ll run Clark’s life for him?”

“I doubt he’d let you do that. What I do think is that you have to make a decision to let go. The bad things that happen in life aren’t usually your fault, and the good things that happen aren’t usually due only to your good efforts.”

“Ah.” Lana lifted her head and looked Martha in the eye. “So now I’m an ego-centric control freak.”

“Well, yes, that’s clinically accurate. A bit harsh, perhaps, but essentially correct.”

“Thanks a lot!”

Martha smiled. “Easy, Lana. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. It will help you succeed, it will help you push through difficult situations, and it’s something Clark recognizes in you, too, but he loves you in spite of it. And you’ve mellowed out quite a bit over the last year or so. I think you’re on the right road. I just wanted to make sure you could read the directional signs.”

“I see.” The girl scuffed the barn floor with her toe. “So, in the final analysis, what do you think about me?”

“I think a wonderful young woman but you’re not perfect. I think that you know you’re not perfect, and that you tend to beat yourself up over it. I also think you’re making progress. The last time you were here, just before you left for Africa, you told us about the summer when you were seven and you and your mother went to Six Flags Over Texas and how much fun the two of you had, and not once did you say anything the least bit disparaging about her. It sounds to me like you’re moving out from under the shadow of the pain she’s caused you over the years.”

“Maybe I am.” She sighed deeply. “Is that all?”

“No.” Martha stepped close and embraced Lana. “I love you, Lana Lang, and I think you’ll make an excellent wife for my son. I also think he’ll be an excellent husband for you. All you have to do is let both of those things happen naturally and not try to force them.”

Lana sniffed. “Thanks, I think.” She shook her head. “No. I don’t have to think about this one. Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being honest and loving, even when you didn’t know how I’d take it. I’m glad I’ve known you all these years, Martha.” Lana leaned back. “You know, I’ve never told you this, but when I was much younger I dreamed that my dad had married you instead of my mother. Maybe then I wouldn’t be such an ego-centric control freak.”

Martha smiled and kissed Lana on the forehead. “Thank you, my dear. Now, let’s go have some breakfast.”

“Sounds delicious.” They turned to walk out of the barn. “By the way, how are things between you and Jonathan these days? I’ve got my dad’s phone number – “

“What? Why, you – you young – “ The rest of Martha’s spluttered response was lost as Lana sprinted towards the house, laughing at the sky.

When Lana and Martha opened the kitchen door, they saw Clark and Jonathan sitting at the table wolfing down stacks of pancakes. Jonathan motioned to them. “Come on and sit down! There’s plenty for everyone. Bacon, too, in a minute.”

Martha smiled. “Smells great! Did my son or my husband cook them?”

Jonathan raised his hand. “Your husband did. I thought it appropriate, seeing as how I’m gaining a daughter today.”

Lana smiled at him and ruffled his hair. “Thank you, Jonathan. So, you’re okay with this sudden urge of ours to be married?”

He shrugged. “If I had a problem with you two being married, I would already have said something during the last three years, don’t you think?”

Martha sat down. “If we don’t eat now, Lana, we won’t get anything. These two will inhale everything edible on the table if we let them.”

Lana laughed and sat at the table beside Clark, then filled her plate. “Yesterday’s pizza is history. I need food!”

Clark laughed with her. “I’m not surprised you’re hungry. It’s not every day we get married.”

“I sincerely hope not.”

Clark passed the syrup to Lana and their eyes homed in on each other. “What were you and Mom doing outside?”

Lana broke Clark’s gaze. “She followed me out to the barn. I was talking to Bob.”

“Oh. What did he have to say?”

“Some very interesting things. Did you know he’d assigned a probability of less than ten percent that I’d fly with you as Superman?”

“No.” Clark slurped some milk. “I guess you made him think.”

“Uh-uh. I made him compute.”

The other three sat still for a moment, then the bell rang for each of them in turn. A hearty chuckle trotted around the table several times. Clark patted Lana on the shoulder. “I love a woman who can make me laugh.”

She poked him in the ribs. “You’d better, pal, because after today you’re out of the market for a personal comedienne!”

They finished breakfast in a companionable quiet. Lana stood and gathered dishes, then wiggled her head at Clark. “Come on, bucko, let’s see how good you are in the kitchen.”

Martha smiled and reached for the phone. At Jonathan’s quizzical expression, she explained, “Reverend Matthews.”

He nodded his comprehension and stood, then sauntered into the kitchen. Lana was washing and Clark was drying, except instead of a towel he was using his heat vision to evaporate the water.

“Clark, you’re nothing but a show-off.”

They turned and smiled in unison. “Hi, Dad. We’re almost through here. Lana still has to pick out a dress and I’ve got to make sure I have a clean suit.”

Jonathan reached out and put one hand on each of their shoulders. “I am very proud and happy for both of you today. I wish I could give you a huge send-off, but I can’t. I can, however, give you three days in the finest hotel in Wichita, assuming you’ll allow me to.”

Clark was thunderstruck. Lana stepped forward and hugged Jonathan. “Thank you so much. Can I – can I call you ‘Pop’ instead of Jonathan?”

Jonathan smiled. “Of course you can, Lana.”

She hugged him again. “No one could ever replace my dad, but you come awfully close!” She stepped back and dried her cheeks. “Will you – I know this is a really big question – Pop – but will you stand next to me and represent my dad? I think he’d be pleased.” She put her hand on his arm. “I know I would be.”

Jonathan smiled. “It’s a wonderful compliment, Lana. Thank you. Is that okay with you, Clark?”

Clark smiled. “Sure! I’ll ask Mom to stand next to me.” He punched his father lightly on the shoulder. “If my first choice for best man is already busy, I’ll get his better-looking counterpart.”

“Hello?”

“Charlene! This is Lana!”

“Oh, hey, girlfriend! You’re back from digging up Africa? When did you get in? How long will you be here? How’s Clark?”

“Yes, I’m back, I got in late last night, I think I’m staying in Smallville until the semester begins, and Clark and I are getting married this afternoon.”

“Hey, that’s – what did you say?”

“I said, I got in last night – “

“Not that! The part about Clark!”

“Clark and I are getting married this afternoon!”

“You’re getting married?”

“I’m getting married!”

“To Clark?”

“Yes, to Clark!

“Lana, you’re getting married to Clark this afternoon?”

“Yes! Isn’t it great?”

“Yes! Eeeeeeeeeeeee!”

“Eeeeeeeeeeeee!”

“When? I mean what time?”

“Two-thirty!”

“Where?”

“At Central Chapel!”

“Who’s doing the service?”

“Reverend Matthews!”

“So?”

“What? What ‘so’ what?”

“So, Lana, are you going to invite me to your wedding or not?”

“Are you kidding? That’s why I called! Besides, I need at least one bridesmaid!”

“Well, since Brent and I are married now, maybe I should be your bridesmatron. Can he come too?”

“Of course he can come! He can be the groomsman! Hey, are you free to run around with me this morning? I have to find a dress!”

“Oh, girl, you come on down to my bridal shop, I’ve got something that will knock Clark’s eyes right out of his head! Oh, you aren’t showing, are you?”

“Hey! I’m not pregnant!”

“Whew! I’m glad to hear that! You stuck to your guns, didn’t you?”

“More like Clark sticking to his.”

“Doesn’t matter, the result’s the same. Believe me, the first time is best with your husband after the wedding and not before. Now you get over here so I can fit you right!”

“Great! When do you open?”

“For you, girlfriend, I’ll open up right now! Get your tiny little heinie down here right now!”

“I have to call my parents first, but I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“Oh. Would you rather call them from the shop?”

“Thanks, Charlene, but no. My mom and the weasel live in Texas, and my dad’s still in Africa. I don’t want to slam your phone bill with those rates, and I may just have to leave a message for him.”

“Okay. Don’t be long! I’ll be waiting!”

“Good morning, McConnell residence.”

“Hi, this is Lana Lang. Is my mom there?”

“Oh, Miss Lang! This is Monique! I am so glad to hear again from you!”

“Well, howdy there, Monique! You manage to catch a jackalope yet?”

“No, Miss Lang, I have not. I have still seen them only mounted on the wall in Mr. McConnell’s library.”

“Well, keep trying. They’re sneaky critters. Can I talk to my mother?”

“Oh. I am afraid, Miss Lang, that your mother – she cannot come to the telephone at the moment.”

“I see. Sleeping one off, is she?”

“No, no, I have not told you correctly. She is – visiting a friend.“

“Uh-huh. How long will she be visiting this friend?”

“For perhaps two more weeks.”

“How long has she been there?”

“Perhaps – two weeks.”

“So she’s drying out again, Monique?”

“Oh, please, Miss Lang, I was told not to tell you of this! I will be in much trouble – “

“Take it easy, okay? I won’t spill the beans.”

“Beans?”

“I won’t tell them what you didn’t just tell me.”

“Oh, I understand now. Miss Lang, I am so sorry.”

“Whose idea was it this time?”

“This time? Oh, Mr. McConnell, he – believed that – a time away – from all the pressures – would help Mrs. McConnell – and he – “

“Okay, Monique, okay. Will you give her a message?”

“Of course. I have a file of messages awaiting her return.”

“I bet you do. Just write down the time and date and let her know I’m getting married today.”

“Married? Miss Lang, you are being married? Today?”

“That’s what I said.”

“Oh, Miss Lang, I am so happy for you! Who is the most fortunate young man?”

“I don’t think you know him, Monique, but his name is Clark Kent. He’s a senior this year at Kansas State with me, a journalism major, and we’re going to be intensely happy and insanely successful together.”

“Oh, congratulations and best wishings to you, Miss Lang! I am so happy for you! I will inform the rest of the staff, and we will have a party in your honor! We will sing and dance and we will purchase for you a wonderful gift and we will pray that you both will love and be loved for all of your lives!”

“Why – thank you, Monique. That’s – that’s very kind of you.”

“Miss Lang, you surely know that you are the staff favorite! Mr. McConnell has two other children from his previous marriage, and they are – oh, I should not say this!”

“That’s okay, you’ve made your point. You folks have your party and pray for us, okay? I’m sure we’ll need your prayers before it’s all over.”

“We will! Oh! May I inform Mr. McConnell of your wedding?”

“Be pretty hard to have a party without telling him, don’t you think?”

“Oh, no! He is in England until Mrs. McConnell returns. He says the house is too large for him alone.”

“Yeah, that sounds like the weasel, saying he’s alone in a house with six servants. Sure, go ahead and tell him I’m getting married.”

“I shall, Miss Lang! May the happiest day of your past be less joyful than the worst day of your future!”

“Thank – thank you, Monique. I’m touched, really. I hope to see you soon.”

“Oh, yes, you must come and bring your new husband so that we all may flirt with him and make him most uncomfortable and you may pretend to be jealous and then he will feel that he must show you once again how much he loves you.”

“Ha-ha-ha! So that’s how you French women do it!”

“Miss Lang, it is how all women do it. Now, you must have many things to do so that you are ready at the proper time! Go and do them and you will tell us all about it when we meet again! Bon chance, Miss Lang!”

“Thanks, Monique. And bless you.”

“Lang archaeological dig number one-seven-three-able-two. This is Dr. Bostwick.”

“Hey, doc! How’s the dirt business?”

“Lana? Is that you?”

“Yep. I’d love to chat, but satellite calls are outrageous, so is my dad around?”

“He’s right outside. Just a moment. Dennis! Your daughter is on the phone!”

There was a moment’s hesitation. “Lana! What’s wrong?”

“What? Nothing’s wrong! Can’t I just call my dad when I want to?”

“Not at this time of night and at these rates, you can’t. What’s going on?”

“Well, Dad, you know that Clark and I decided on a wedding date in December, right?”

“Yes.”

“Well, we, uh, we kinda, uh, we want to get married before then.”

“How much ‘before then’ are we talking about?”

“Today.”

“What? Today? Lana, are you – no, of course you’re sure. Kitten, is this something that can’t wait five months?”

“No. I’m sorry, but I can’t wait five days, and in fact I don’t want to wait at all, but Clark won’t – uh, he’s pretty firm on waiting until marriage.”

“I see. I’m glad one of you is.”

“Oh, Dad, please! I agree with him, at least intellectually, but my non-intellectual being has waited long enough! We’re getting married today!”

“I see. Do you have a place to stay?”

“We have enough money to rent a place and furnish it.”

“Good. Where will you stay until then?”

“Uh. Don’t know. Guess we’ll have to look quick.”

“Would Clark be okay with staying at our – well, I guess it’ll be just my place after today.”

“Oh, Dad, don’t be so melodramatic!”

“I’m not, Kitten, I’m being realistic. I’m also offering the two of you a place to stay until you get settled.”

“Dad, that’s wonderful! You’re the best!”

“Wait. There’s a condition attached.”

“Uh-oh. What is it?”

“That you let me throw you a wedding celebration in December. You can repeat your vows and have the big wedding I’ve always wanted you to have. What do you say?”

“Hmm. Get married now, have a place to stay until we get our own place, and have a big party in December? That’s a tough choice.”

“I drive a hard bargain.”

“You do at that. I accept for both of us.”

“Okay. Lana, I love you. You do know that, don’t you?”

“Of course I do, Dad! And I love you too!”

“Good. I’ll see you when I get back, probably early November. Write me and tell me all about it.”

“You want to know everything, Dad?”

“Remember how far from home everyone is, and how any news from anybody’s home is received here. Anything you put in your letter will be dinner conversation for days, so you be the judge on how much you tell me.”

“I’ll definitely keep that in mind. Dad?”

“Yes, Kitten?”

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being the greatest dad in the whole world.”

“Mmph.”

“Dad? Are you still there?”

“Y-yes. Thank you, Lana. You’ve made my month for me. Now go and get married, young lady!”

“Yes sir! Right away sir!”

“And tell Clark how lucky he is to have you!”

“Thanks, Dad. I’ll let him know, every way I can.”

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing