Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#234458 11/17/04 02:17 AM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
OK, this is a totally ridiculous topic for a poll, it was probably discussed to death ages ago, not to mention it has nothing to do with fanfic, but I'm curious, so here goes...

I was watching a video this morning which had in it the scene outside the church after Lois' non-wedding to Lex, where Lois runs into Clark's arms for a hug. Clark is wearing a black suit, pale yellow shirt, and a black-and-yellow tie, and d***, but he looks good!

Which got me remembering how, when I first saw this show, I loved Clark's ties. I thought it was so neat how, even though dressed in a conservative suit, Clark would wear these bold, avant-garde ties, as if asserting his individuality. I don't know, I found it incredibly sexy.

It didn't take too many fanfics to convince me that many others found his ties to be loud and garish. Am I the only one who liked them? Do I have hideous taste in men's clothing? (Remind me not to buy my husband any ties for Christmas!)

So, plain and simple, that is the question.

What did you think of Clark's ties?

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#234459 11/17/04 02:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think when fanfic mentions that Clark's ties are ridiculous or ugly, they are saying that sort of "tongue in cheek" because those ties did represent that individuality of Clark, being the guy he was. Labrat did it really well in "Epiphany" when Lois was thinking Clark's ties were a sign of mental issues, he'd be the guy in the clock tower with an AK-47 someday, and the ties were just a cry for help. But I loved the ties myself, I sort of compare it to the Hawaiian shirts and rainbow suspenders I wore my Senior Year in my deep south high school, boy! were those hillbillies perturbed.

What I think someone should do is write a story that explains where all those freaky ties came from; did Clark pick them out himself? When? in college? while he was traveling the world? Or does he have some crazy aunt like the one in "A Christmas Story" who sends them to him, but he's just too nice not to wear them?

TEEEEEEEEEJ

#234460 11/17/04 02:59 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey, thanks, TJ. smile Personally, I think in Epiphany Lois was somewhat over-analysing <g>, but that was fun to write. Getting into Lois' head in one of her more left-field thinking sessions always is. laugh

There have been a lot of theories about why Clark wears colourful ties in fanfic, many of them quite inventive and thoughtful. And at the moment I'm out of examples. <g> I have a vague memory of one author postulating that Clark wore them to divert attention away from his face - another attempt to stop people looking too closely at him and putting two and two together and coming up CK=S. Which makes some sense to me. Didn't work with Lois though. goofy

Oh, and Vicki - polls don't have to be about fanfic, they can be about anything. And certainly LNC definitely qualifies! <g>

LabRat (who should be working but is having far better fun trawling the mbs today...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#234461 11/17/04 06:17 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I sort of compare it to the Hawaiian shirts and rainbow suspenders I wore my Senior Year in my deep south high school, boy! were those hillbillies perturbed.
thumbsup

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#234462 11/17/04 10:34 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
devil Clark would look handsome in a burlap sack!!! (Kathy B's 'Definitely the Black' is one of my favourites! smile )

Mirage

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
#234463 11/17/04 11:28 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I never noticed them until they were pointed out in fanfic. Now, I sometimes notice them when I watch a video, and I do think they're a bit ridiculous, but they're sort of okay.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#234464 11/17/04 11:31 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I remember reading 2 different stories that explain where Clark's ties come from. One story had his mother painting at least some of them. Then I believe in the story where she has his son Chris from a night together in London when neither knows the others real name, a shop in Metropolis is mention as where he gets his ties.

Personally I love them. thumbsup Me I'm know for my large chandelier earrings. I love earrings and have over a 100 pairs for the bottom hole. Just starting my collection of studs for the second hole. Wish I could find a pair of Superman Shield studs. dance

#234465 12/06/04 01:24 AM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
I was pretty much oblivious to his ties too, my attention was caught more by Lois' suits. Some of them - most of them - were waaay out there. laugh

I look back, and I'm glad I was too young to be affected by early '90s fashion.

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard