Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23441 08/11/05 02:06 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Clark sank down to the ledge and started sobbing, shaking. The tight pain in his chest was awful. He didn't want to die. But he desperately didn't want to live. There was nothing in between. Nothing he could do. And nothing would make the pain go away. He pulled his cape tight around him and wept.
OMG. frown frown frown frown frown frown frown /me bawls

"Hi, I'm Lois Lane. You don't know me but I'd like your help."
Oh, the irony at her thinking that he doesn't know her. <g>

Clark Kent was engaged. Or really, he could be married by now.
Nononononononono!! /me bashes Lana's head into a wall.

She turned the frame over and looked at the picture within.
/me cackles. Yay! <g>

Oy. Now I see what you meant by me probably wanting to kill you when I finished reading. wildguy

Julie smile (who will wistfully await Monday unless she could convince Sara to send her the file...)

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I should know better by now not to read these chapters until there's a bunch of them or it's finished . . . grrr, tormenting us with cliffhangers!

And . . . yeah, what Julie said. wink

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
AAAAAAHAHAHAHHHHH!! Oh my God I can't wait until Monday! LAura

Clark: β€œIf we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
ARGHGHGHGH

I know cliffhangers are great to keep the interest up in the story...BUT

This one STINKS

MOnday?? That's like a lifetime away.

Double-
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part.

And by no means did the dull ache in her chest mean that she felt she'd missed out on the best thing that might have ever happened to her. That was just heartburn.
hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Firstly, thumbs up Grandma for the thread title! thumbsup

He was that much closer to the day he'd die.
Now, I love that line...

Of course, for Clark and his super lifespan, that doesn't really mean much, but how would he know that? And... now I'm rambling. Sorry.

Back to the line.

I love that, really, truly. He's the closest thing (physically) to a god on the planet and yet he only sees the passage of time as a... a... a step closer to the end.

Are you a Matrix fan?

"The purpose of life, Clark, is to end."

He'd gotten all the way to the sun.
/me points at the title. Gees Clark, can't you read?

I mean, um, yes... very sad wink

Ironic that a little piece of home could be his undoing, that a tiny meteorite was a force more powerful than the Man of Steel.
Oi... do you know how much I love that? The irony of that? It's... ironically loveable... or something.

I love that the only thing that can harm him comes from the only place where he was vulnerable... the only place he was *normal*... the only remnants of his home.
Like a refugee whose possessions were... dangerous. Having to start new with nothing left... I really love that aspect of the mythos and I *love* that you've brought it up here. Love it. LOVE it.

He has to move forward. There is no going back. But he's not ready to. And... I'm reading into things again. :p

The man who was an alien in every sense of the word.
See above wink

Ohh... Sara...

Everything... *everything* from:

He didn't belong.
to:

He opened the window and shot into the sky.
Every. Single. Word.

Clark Kent was dead. Superman was all that was left. And, as sadistic as this sounds... I love it.

Odd how they'd inadvertently protected him from it. Or had Wells told them? It didn't really matter. It was still there, just waiting for him.
/me falls off the edge of his seat...

The last time... he'd been passive. Too passive. Like swallowing a bottle of pills, hoping it'd be enough.
Oh holy hell Sara. That line is brilliant. It just... hits you in all the right spots. You hint. And we think we know. We get an inkling... is he talking about suicide? Would he even think about it? And then *bang*. There it is. In Black and Grey. And then there's this pang in your chest. Disbelief. Awe. And... on a level beyond what you're immediately feeling, a strange sense of appreciation for being witness to this. To that line. Like watching a tragedy and thinking how beautifully it's executed.

Clark swiped at the tears angrily. There was no reason to cry. Not anymore. Not after he... There would be no more tears. Just nothing. He wouldn't have to deal with anything anymore. Sweet oblivion.

Clark sank down to the ledge and started sobbing, shaking. The tight pain in his chest was awful.
Oh... that's amazing. It says so much without putting it into words. Wonderfully, wonderfully symbolic. There'd be no reason to cry if he was dead. But he cried. And we know he lives. Just like that.

He didn't want to die. But he desperately didn't want to live.
I know I told you before, but I'll tell you again. I *LOVE* that. I really truly, truly, really love it.

And... now we have Lois. And... OH! I'm starting to remember what happens wink

This Kent guy was a superhero, a celebrity, for crying out loud. Why would he even give her the time of day?
laugh

She thought back to the picture... It wasn't pity exactly - that wasn't the feeling - but she'd gotten this silly idea, a tingling, that somehow he was someone important to her. That maybe she was reading him far more accurately than anyone else had. Kindred spirits.
/me coughs *soul mates*

But that's ridiculous, right Lois?

Which was nonsense.
Right.

See, it is possible to reach an understanding with Mad Dog wink

She was alone and probably would be alone for the rest of her life.
Don't you mean the rest of her... afterlife?

/me cracks up laughing...

Sorry... silly mood :p

Foolish as that may have been, that was what was making her hesitate outside his door. What if he *did* just ignore her letter? Or worse yet, what if he didn't, and just regarded her as another citizen in need? Another victim in his long line of people to save? Someone he'd help and then wash his hands of? What if all he felt for her was pity? What if after it was all said and done, she never saw him again?
I love that. sloppy

It reminded her of the past; back when she was Lois Lane, star reporter at the Daily Planet. Back when she *was* somebody.
I love that too. I just want to shake her... but she's tiny and I bet she'd snap so I'd settle for poking her shoulder.

*poke*

You're somebody, Lois, you're somebody!

*poke*

Clark and a woman.

A blonde. Pretty, if you liked that type. Not drop-dead gorgeous by any means, but...

She was wearing a ring.

An engagement ring.
First of all... bah!

And second of all... somebody better smack Clark for keeping a picture of Lana!

You know what?

I'm not even going to comment about the TBC...

You *already* know how evil it is.

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
WOW, Sara! whinging

Poor Clark! mecry His desperation is so real. His morals prevent him from taking his own life but at the moment he truly believes his life is worth nothing. frown

And poor Lois! mecry You did an excellent job showing how she feels.

I can't wait to see what happens next. Please post more soon. wildguy

Tricia cool

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
AH! Sara!

I got back early just to read this part and I get a terrible cliffhanger? eek

J/K...I didn't get home early for that reason but it still it was nice to come home to part 4 after a crazy weekend!

Loving it so far!

~Lois Lane

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
goofy

Did I mention that I'm in awe of the imagery and depth of feeling that your writing always conveys? notworthy notworthy

In this life of froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Okay... I first want to let out a big *whew*! Because as much as I believe in this part and what I've written, I was worried how people would respond to my bringing Clark to the point of suicidal. Especially after the poll I set. Now, I create the poll for another reason entirely, but it actually turned out to be pretty relevant to my story as well. Not that I was going to have him go *that* far, but it was still nice to be prepared on what people would be thinking.

So a big sigh of relief that you all seem to agree with me on alt Clark's characterization... so far. wink

Oh holy hell Sara. That line is brilliant. It just... hits you in all the right spots. You hint. And we think we know. We get an inkling... is he talking about suicide? Would he even think about it? And then *bang*. There it is. In Black and Grey. And then there's this pang in your chest. Disbelief. Awe. And... on a level beyond what you're immediately feeling, a strange sense of appreciation for being witness to this. To that line. Like watching a tragedy and thinking how beautifully it's executed.
Have I mentioned that I love you, David? goofy CC's the very first in line. wink

Did I mention that I'm in awe of the imagery and depth of feeling that your writing always conveys?
Did I mention that I love you? notworthy It's hard to find something to say to everyone sometimes, but do know that I appreciate each and every one of your posts. notworthy

Sorry about the cliffhanger. devil Couldn't be helped... the part would have just been too long. wink

Part 5 up soon!

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
πŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts πŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Columnist
Columnist
Woo Hoo!!!! Next part! <G>

Clark woke to darkness. The VCR clock told him it was well after two in the morning. He'd slept all day, but he couldn't bring himself to care. What did it matter? He was that much closer to the day he'd die. Whenever that was. Too far away. Too many miserable days to spend alone. Too much to handle. He didn't want to handle it anymore.
ACK! So sad and ...god. Sara? Haven't you heard of Happy Beginnings? Helloooo? God, not even a couple paragraphs in and BAM! goofy

Rach(Who is once again, onto the next part wink )

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

HE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE, BE NICE TO ALT-CLARK!!!!!!

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard