***** Chapter Three

Lana pranced lightly through her front door and closed it as quietly as possible. She assumed her father would be up, as he had warned her he would be, but she didn’t want to awaken him if he’d already journeyed to the land of Nod. She took off her shoes and started past the dining room.

“Welcome home, young lady. Do you know what time it is?”

Lana forced her skin to stay put and barely convinced her heart not to leap out of her chest. “Yes, Dad, it’s three minutes before one.”

Professor Lang smiled. “And I thank you for respecting me as much as you do. Most girls in your – “

“Please, Dad! ‘Young women,’ not ‘girls.’ Be sensitive.”

He nodded. “My apologies. Most ‘young women’ in your situation would take advantage of the opportunity and freedom of the night to engage in all manner of, shall we say, personally pleasing activities. You, however, “ he said as he pulled out a chair, “are quite certain of the future you want for yourself. I am both thankful and proud.”

She dimpled and sat. “Thank you, my learned and kind and thoughtful parent.”

He frowned. “Uh-oh, major flattery alert. What is it you have to tell me?”

She took his hand. “First of all, I’m still headed for Kansas State to major in archaeology, assuming they’ll take me. I still want to work with you in the field. Second, I asked Clark to marry me.”

His face almost fell off his head. “You – what?”

She giggled. “I asked Clark to marry me! And he said yes!”

“Oh.” He struggled to control his voice and his expression. “I – I see. Have you asked his mother for his hand?”

“What?” Then she laughed. “Sure, I get it! Complete role reversal. I’ll ask her tomorrow.”

“Ah. In that case, will you have to postpone the nuptials?”

She laughed again and shook her head. “We haven’t gotten that far in the planning stage, Dad. I think Clark’s folks will go for it. I just – I need to know that I have your blessing.” She looked deep into his eyes. “What do you say?”

He shook his head. “If I do not give my blessing, will you call off the wedding?”

“You’re kidding, right?” He didn’t answer. She lost her happy place. “Dad, tell me you’re just yanking my chain.” He looked away. “Dad? Is it – do you disapprove of Clark?”

“Of Clark? No, no, he’s a fine young man, talented and stable, has good prospects, and his parents couldn’t have done a better job of raising him. It’s not Clark that concerns me.”

He stood and began pacing. “Lana, do you know how many promising young men and women have begun an archaeology degree and never finished because of family pressure? Succeeding in school is hard enough without the added burden of a family. You know how competitive this profession is! If you turn down a field assignment because of your family, you might never get another! And many young people who marry early don’t ever get that first field assignment for that very reason.

“And what about Clark? Assuming he travels with you, what would he do while you’re at a dig for eight to twelve hours a day? Would he be willing to live in a tent with no electricity or running water or indoor plumbing and do nothing for weeks or months at a time? Could he sacrifice his own career for your sake? Or would he wait at home alone for weeks at a time, missing you and eventually resenting you for being gone so much?” He sat beside her and stroked her face once. “My darling daughter! I can’t count the number of divorces I’ve witnessed because of this vocation.” He touched her hair. “I couldn’t bear to see you hurt like that.”

She grabbed his hand and kissed it. “Dad, I love you! I know why you’re telling me this, and I know you’re not exaggerating. I understand the dangers, really I do! But I love Clark too! I couldn’t bear to be apart from him. Especially after tonight.”

Professor Lang sat up straight and dropped his chin again. Lana puzzled over his expression for a moment, then suddenly realized one possible interpretation of what she’d said. “No! No, Dad, it’s not what you think! Honest! Clark has always been a perfect gentleman!”

“I see. I take it, then, that you have also been a perfect lady?”

She flushed. “Let me be clear about this. Clark and I have never had sex together, not tonight or at any other time. Is that graphic enough?”

Her father turned his gaze away as his own face reddened. “I – see. I apologize, Lana. I should have known that you would understand the consequences of such a course of action.”

“I do, and yes, you should have.” She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “But I love you for caring, and for being concerned and not slamming me about it.” She knuckled his head. “You’re a pretty good dad.”

He captured her hands. “I do my best, alone as I am.”

She slowly sank into the chair beside him. “That’s part of it, isn’t it? Mom left you alone with me and you don’t want it to happen to me and your grandchildren. Isn’t that right?”

He closed his eyes. “I still love her, you know. That’s why I so rarely see her. It enrages me still to see her with that – that money-grubbing weasel!”

“I know, Dad, I know. I don’t know what she sees in him either, unless it’s that he’s home every night. That and the bling-bling.”

“Bling-bling? What’s that?”

“It’s your new word for the day. Bright shiny baubles. Like the stuff a magpie collects because it’s pretty, not because it’s valuable.”

“Ah. Bling-bling. Your mother’s new nickname.”

She grinned a little. “It suits her, don’t you think?”

He sighed and nodded. “Yes. She couldn’t stand my being gone so often. Not enough money, too many digs, too many overseas trips, too many days and nights away from home.” He sighed. “It’s a wonder that you didn’t leave with her.”

She tilted her head in curiosity. “She asked me to.”

His entire body shook as if suddenly electrified. “What? She wanted you to leave with her?”

Lana frowned. “I thought you knew, Dad. When you left that morning to go to Greenland, Mom asked me to leave with her. I told her I was staying with you, that I loved you and would never leave you. She didn’t want to leave a nine-year-old girl at home alone for three weeks, so she stayed until the morning you came back.” She wiped a tear from her eye. “Right up until she got into the car with the weasel, I thought she’d turn around and come back. But she never did.” Lana sniffed and forced a smile. “She may have walked out on us, but we still have each other.”

He smiled softly. “Only as long as you remain unmarried. And before you protest, I refuse to stand in the way of your happiness. If you truly love Clark, and he loves you, and he understands exactly what he’s letting himself in for, I think you two should indeed be married.”

Lana threw her arms around her father’s head and squeezed. “Oh, Dad, thank you! Thank you so much!”

“Mphgh kff brrff!”

“What?”

She relaxed her arms and he inhaled deeply. “I said, ‘I can’t breathe!’ Surely, my darling daughter, you’ll not asphyxiate me before I can walk you down the aisle!”

The phone rang the next morning as she stepped out of the shower. “Hello, this is Lana Lang.”

“Hello yourself, fellow graduate. How was your conversation with your dad last night?”

“Oh, quite enlightening. We talked about college and archaeology and my mom and the weasel and my future. I told him I’m still planning to follow in his fossilized footsteps.”

“Speaking of college, have you picked one yet?”

“Not yet. I’m still waiting for a couple of responses, but I think I can get into Kansas State on at least a partial scholarship. You still heading that way yourself?”

“I think so. What else did you two talk about?”

“Oh, a bunch of father-daughter stuff. Like how responsible you and I are to remain celibate.”

“Under the circumstances, don’t you think that was a good idea?”

“My dear loving fiance, I think that’s an outstanding idea under any set of circumstances.”

“So, you didn’t tell him?”

“About my asking you to marry me? Of course I did!”

“No, I mean about – the other stuff.”

“I did not.”

“Oh. Any particular reason?”

“Well, the subject never came up, actually.”

“I see. Look, is your dad there now?”

“No, he left for the museum before I got up. We can talk freely.”

“Good. Was there a particular reason you didn’t tell him?”

“Flying saucers and space aliens aren’t usually part of our normal evening discourse.”

“But if – “

“Ouch!”

“What? Lana, what happened?”

“I pulled through on a knot in my hair.”

“Why did you do that?”

“I’m combing my hair, smart guy! I just got out of the shower!”

“Oh. I didn’t know that.”

“Good. I need some privacy from those wondrous eyes of yours.”

He sighed. “Would you answer my question?”

“Which question, Clark?”

“About why you didn’t tell your father everything.”

“Because it’s your secret, not mine. Besides, I think there’s still a lot more for me to learn.”

“What makes you think that?”

“Come on, big boy! You’re too deep to tell me everything about yourself in one night.”

“Lana, I don’t have any more secrets, honest.”

She grinned. “I don’t mean secrets, you big hunk. There are things about me you need to learn, and things about you I need to learn. It’s called love, in case you’d forgotten.”

She heard him whack the phone against his head. “Lana, I’m sorry! I’m – preoccupied, I guess. I love you very much.”

She would have tweaked his nose had she been able to. “I know you do. And I love you too, you mindless drone! Hey, when can I come over and ask your mother for your hand?”

“You’re – what?” He was silent for a moment. “I suppose this evening is a good time.”

“Great! I’ll bring some fried chicken and coleslaw. I have a new recipe I’ve been wanting to try out.”

“Okay. I’ll warn them – I mean, I’ll let them know you’re bringing dinner.”

“Nice catch there, Speedy. I hope you’re quicker than that when you stop car wrecks.”

He was silent again. “How did you know about that?”

Lana was silent for a moment in return, then she sighed deeply. “I didn’t. But I think we probably need to talk about that disguise sooner than I thought we would.”

“Lana, this is really good chicken! What did you do differently?”

“Thanks, Mrs. Kent. I just used a different kind of oil.”

“Oh? What brand of oil did you use?”

“I think the label said Quaker State.”

Jonathan coughed and almost choked. Clark dropped his chicken leg from nerveless fingers onto his plate and stared at his girlfriend, horrified. “You used motor oil?” he spluttered.

Martha and Lana fell against each other and laughed themselves breathless. Jonathan looked at his son’s expression and joined them.

Clark eventually regained a cautious smile. “I’m guessing that was a joke.”

“Just be glad I – he-he-he – used the high-viscosity formula.”

Clark’s parents laughed again. Jonathan managed to say, “The other stuff – really gets thick – especially during cold weather!”

Lana nearly fell out of her chair, but Clark caught her before she hit the floor. Martha held onto the table until she regained her equilibrium, then quickly excused herself. Jonathan winked at Clark and followed her.

When everyone was seated again, Clark took a chicken thigh from the basket in the middle of the table. “Lana, I don’t care how you cooked it, it tastes great.”

Martha patted Lana’s hand. “It’s true, dear, the chicken is delicious. And I like the spiciness of the coleslaw, too.”

Lana smiled. “Thanks. I was a little concerned about that until I remembered the chili cook-off award Mr. Kent won two years ago.”

“Do you mean my ‘Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust’ trophy?”

“The very one! My dad liked it too. He said that chili isn’t chili unless it makes your forehead drippy with sweat.”

Jonathan chuckled. “I like the way he thinks.”

Lana stripped off the last of the meat from a wing, then put the bone down and wiped her hands. “Mmm. It’s got to be good when the cook likes it.” She took a sip of tea. “Anyway, I have something I need to talk to all of you about.”

Jonathan nodded. “Clark’s college plans.”

Martha shook her head. “No, it’s about his new costume.”

“Mom! That thing – “

Lana waved her hands. “No, no! Those are important, but this is even more important. And it’s just as serious.” She turned to Martha. “Mrs. Kent, I would like to ask you if I might have the hand of your son.”

Martha smiled indulgently, then looked closely at Lana’s eyes. Her smile slowly faded. “You really mean this, don’t you, Lana?”

“Yes, I do. What is your answer, please?”

Martha stared at her for a moment, then sat back. “Have you discussed this with your own father?”

“Yes. He was reluctant at first because of his own past history and my career plans, but he gave me his blessing.”

“Your past history?”

“Yes. You know my mother left my father for another man when I was nine? He’s concerned that my chosen career would interfere with my family life.”

Martha patted Lana’s hand. “I remember when your mother left. And I think your father has done a marvelous job as a single parent.”

Lana ducked her head for a moment. “I thank you in his stead, but I believe that’s part of his reluctance too. He’s brought a couple of his female friends home before, and I don’t think I made them very welcome. I think he’s worried that I don’t have a very good family model to follow.”

“So your father doesn’t want you to get married as long as he’s single?”

“It’s not that. He just doesn’t want me to end up with a broken family of my own.”

“Dear, no parent wants that for his or her children. Did he really give his blessing, or did you talk him into it?”

“I think I helped him to realize that I understand why he’s reluctant, but I also think he knows that I’m not my mother. I don’t plan to follow in her footsteps, I assure you.”

“I see. Have you spoken to Clark about marriage?”

“Last night in this kitchen, sitting in his lap.”

Martha struggled not to smile. “I remember that, too. And – what was his response?”

Lana sighed. “Later, in the barn, down in the little hidey-hole, he said yes. Not in so many words, I guess, but the intent was unmistakable.”

This time Martha did smile. “And how do you intend to live? When do you intend to marry?”

“We haven’t talked much about that, not since last night. That’s going to change some things.”

“Oh?”

Lana shrugged. “It’ll make some things easier and some things harder. I haven’t thought through all the possible permutations yet.”

Martha glanced at Clark, who also shrugged. “She named the globe ‘Bob.’”

“I see. Well, the only question I have left is this: Do you love my son?”

Lana ducked her head for a moment, then lifted it. Lana could see her reflection in Martha’s liquid eyes. “Yes. I love him more than I love breathing. I love him with a depth and power that cannot be stopped. I love him so much that I would give him to another woman if that’s what would make him happy.”

Out of the corner of her eye, Lana saw Jonathan reach over and give Clark’s arm a fatherly squeeze. Clark settled back and didn’t say anything.

Martha took Lana’s hands in her own and kissed them. “Lana, dear, if that space ship had held a girl, I hope she would have been be a lot like you. I think you’ll be a marvelous wife for my son, and a wonderful daughter-in-law for Jonathan and me. Yes, you may seek the hand of my son.”

Lana stood and kissed Martha on the forehead, then turned and kissed Jonathan on the cheek. Clark stood and received her as she stepped to him. Their kiss was brief but powerful.

Lana wiped her eyes and looked at Clark’s parents. “Thank you, both of you. I’ll do my best to be the world’s finest wife.”

Clark brushed her hair back. “No one could be better than you. I love you.”

Martha stood and touched Jonathan’s arm. “Come, dear, let’s leave these young people alone.”

Lana turned abruptly. “No! I mean, please stay.” She wiped her nose on a paper napkin. “There are some other things I think we need to talk about tonight.”

Martha nodded and sat down again. Lana pulled her chair next to Clark’s. “Suitor’s privilege,” she grinned.

Martha raised her hand. “Speaking of suits – “

Clark groaned and Lana giggled. “Oh, yes, I’d love to see it. Will you model it for me, please, Clark, darling, please, sweetheart?”

Clark looked around the table, then shook his head in surrender. “As if I had any real choice.”

He stood and left. Lana started to speak, but Martha smiled and held up her hand. “Wait a second. I think you’ll like it.”

Lana turned her head in time to see Clark walk out in a bright blue form-fitting spandex outfit with red shorts, red boots, and a long red cape. He folded his arms across his chest and stared as if daring anyone to laugh.

Lana’s eyes popped. She stood and slowly walked around him, nodding and making small panting noises. She made two complete circuits, then stopped in front of him and gazed admiringly into his face.

Clark shook his hands, demanding a response. “Lana? What do you think?”

Lana regained control of her jaw and said, “Well, they won’t be looking at your face.”

“What?”

“Well, Clark, that’s – “

Martha joined in and finished in unison with her, “ – why they call them ‘tights’!”

Clark huffed and turned away. “That’s it! I’m not wearing this stupid – “

Lana’s voice cut through the air like a scythe. “Clark Kent! Come back here right now!”

Clark turned and stepped towards her slowly, his eyes narrowed. “Lana, we aren’t married yet, and even when we are – “

“You won’t talk to your mother like that, I guarantee! Now how many costumes did she make before this one?”

He ducked his head. “Four.”

“And you shot down all of them, didn’t you?”

He scraped the floor with his foot. “Well, it was kinda mutual, I guess. This one was her favorite, but – “

“It’s my favorite too! It’s heroic! It commands attention, which is what you want it to do! It pulls an observer’s eyes from your face and makes itself known! It looks – you look bigger, taller somehow. Are you puffing up your chest?”

“No. The boots have an extra-thick sole, and the top is tight. It just makes me look bigger. Same reason I don’t go swimming without a t-shirt. Loose clothes make my body look smaller.”

Lana nodded. “Works for women, too, although you – “ she sighed and shook herself. “Never mind. There’s something missing, though. The colors are great, I really like the cape and the boots, but the chest seems a little bare. You need a symbol of some kind, something kind of logo or something, so people can recognize you.”

Martha frowned. “Maybe – maybe – yes! I think I know!” She jumped up and ran into Clark’s room. When she came back, she was carrying a red blanket with a yellow symbol on it. “Clark was wrapped in this when we found him in the ship. It’s the only piece that’s not under the barn. I have no idea what the material is, but maybe this S-shaped symbol will do the trick. What do you think?”

Lana looked at it, then smiled at Martha. “I think you’re brilliant. This is why they pay you the big bucks, isn’t it?”

Lana walked around Clark again, then a second time, then a third time. “Put your hands on your hips and lift your chest.”

He did so. She forced herself not to sigh in admiration and to be as objective as possible. She took another lap around him. “That looks good to me. Mrs. Kent, any more fabulous ideas?”

Martha shook her head. “Lana, if you’re planning to marry my son, and if you’re going to be a part of his life, you need to start calling me by my first name.”

Lana smiled warmly. “Thank you. That’s very kind of you – Martha.” She gestured at Clark again. “So, what do you think?”

Martha put her chin in her hand and looked closely. “The costume is good. I’m just not sure – the hair. Clark, you’ll have to do something with your hair.”

He dropped his hands to his side. “Like what, wear a wig?”

Martha giggled. “Too hard to carry around. No, I think if you slick back your hair and look as stern as you can as often as possible, it will make it that much harder for people to recognize you.”

Clark exhaled forcefully. “Tell me one more time why a mask is a bad idea.”

Lana smiled. “Masked heroes are pretty much passe, Clark. Zorro and the Lone Ranger are old school. Besides, you want to appear open and completely above-board. You don’t want to look like you’re hiding something. Folks are going to have a hard enough time getting used to an ultra-strong flying man as it is.”

Jonathan sipped his coffee and cleared his throat. “That brings up one more item. Who are you?”

Clark gaped at his father. “What do you mean, who am I? What are you talking about?”

“What’s your name? What will people call you? When they yell for you, or at you, what will they call out? ‘Help, Mr. Really Strong Flying Man with Other Fantastic Abilities?’ That’s a bit clumsy.”

Clark shrugged. “I’m open to suggestions.”

Lana and Martha began calling out names as Jonathan made the judgment call.

“Big Strong Man.”

“Makes him sound like a dumb hick.”

“Which I’m certainly not!”

“Not now, Clark. What about Quickman?”

“Not bad. We’ll keep it in mind.”

“Speed Demon.”

“I don’t think we want any religious overtones here, either way.”

“How about just Speedy?”

“Mmm, don’t think so. Doesn’t capture what we want to communicate.”

“Ultra Man.”

“I like it. That one goes in the kitty.”

“The Red Streak.”

“Or The Blue Streak?”

“The Red-And-Blue Streak!”

“Might be what he’ll look like in flight, but I’m not sure it’ll trip off the tongue.”

“Super-Strong Man!”

“Hmm. Not too bad, but maybe a little long still.”

“What about Super-Strong?”

“I think we need to keep some sort of humanity aspect in the name, or people might think he’s a robot of some kind. They might think that anyway.”

“Power Man?”

“Good. That’s in the kitty too. That’s the kind of name he needs, short and descriptive and with plenty of pop.”

They suddenly ran out of mental fuel. Lana shook her head. “I think we can do better than Power Man! We need to prime the mental wells here.” She stood. “Clark, can you list the kinds of things you can do? It’ll help us think.”

Clark folded his arms and pouted. “I’m glad you all remembered I was actually here.”

Lana reached out and hugged him. “Oh, darling, I’m sorry! I just get so focused I kinda get tunnel vision sometimes.” She reached up and kissed his cheek. “Forgive me?”

He softened. “As if I had a choice.”

They kissed. They kept on kissing. After a moment, Martha cleared her throat. “Excuse me, but we’re still in the room with you.”

Clark reddened and released Lana, who grinned and patted him on the chest. “Okay, Clark, let’s talk about my favorite subject, you. Can you list the kinds of things you can do?”

“If you think it’ll help.”

She shrugged. “It sure can’t hurt.”

“Well, I can fly, I’m extremely strong, I can heat things up with my eyes, I can focus on things really far away, I can look at really small things and magnify them, I can see through almost anything except lead, I can run so fast I’m almost invisible, I can hear things no one else can hear like really soft sounds and radio and TV transmissions, I can freeze things by breathing on them – “

“Whoa!” Lana gaped. “Tell me about that last one again.”

“Oh. I just figured that one out. A couple of weeks ago I found an unopened soft drink bottle in the barn. I washed it off and started to open it, but it was hot and I didn’t want to wait for it to cool off in the fridge, so I blew on it.”

“And?”

He blushed slightly. “And it froze solid and exploded. I was left with shards of glass all over the barn, a bottle-shaped chunk of caramel-flavored carbonated ice, and nothing to drink.”

“So let’s not use Cold-Blowing Man.”

The Kents both chuckled. Clark paced and waved his hands. “Now that I’m embarrassed again, how does this help?”

Lana crossed her arms over her chest and frowned. “Except for the flying and the heating things up part, you don’t do much that normal humans can’t do, you just do them extremely well.” She snapped her fingers. “Extreme Man? How does that sound?”

Jonathan lifted his eyebrows. “Terrific, if he’s on a snowboard.”

Lana’s grin faded. “Yeah, that’s kinda what I thought, too.”

Martha said, “It may not be the right name, but I think it’s the right direction. Why not focus on single-word synonyms for ‘extreme’ and see what we come up with?”

“Great?”

“Marvelous?”

“Stupendous?”

“Fantastic?”

“Wonderful?”

“Fabulous?”

“Superb?”

“Resplendent?”

Clark lifted his hands. “Whoa! Stop! No way! I absolutely positively refuse to be called ‘Resplendent Man!’ What about this?”

The other three stared in amazement as he pointed to his chest. “Look, we all know this isn’t really an ‘S.’ It’s the symbol for the House of El, but no one else needs to know that. Why not come up with a name that starts with ‘S’ and give me some peace?”

Jonathan, Martha, and Lana exchanged glances, then almost as one they pointed to Clark and shouted, “Superman!”

Clark crossed his arms and paced the floor, thinking. Finally he stopped. “I can’t say that I like it, but it’s better than Stupendous Man or Superb Man. And it even beats Ultra Man.”

Martha stood. “Then it’s settled. You’ll be known as ‘Superman’ when you make your public debut.”

All four of them suddenly stopped. Jonathan looked around at them and asked, “And when will that happen?”

Lana put her hand on Clark’s elbow. “I think that should be up to Superman.”

Clark lifted his eyebrows. “How’s about I get used to the name first?”

Lana returned home that evening, tired but happy. Her father looked up from the magazine he was reading as she walked through the front door.

“Hi, Kitten. Have a good time?”

She smiled. “I was with Clark. Of course I had a good time.”

He patted the sofa beside him. “Sit with me for a few? I’d like to talk.”

She nodded. “Sure. What’s the interrogation about?”

“Oh, I don’t think I’d characterize this as an interrogation.”

She sat down and cocked her head to one side. “I’ll let you know if it turns into one. What are we talking about?”

“About Clark. And about you.”

She folded her arms and leaned back. “What about Clark and me?”

“Easy, sweetheart, I’m just asking for information. I was, um, a little abrupt with you last night, and I’d like to make it up to you.”

“Oh.” She relaxed. “Well, we still don’t have any definite plans, other than attending the same school, assuming we’re both accepted by the same school, and we still plan to get married some time in the future, the timing of which also depends on other things.”

He nodded. “Okay. Would you like for me to make a couple of discreet phone calls? Maybe I can tug on some strings. For both of you, that is.”

She hesitated. “Dad, I know I got upset with you last year when you suggested this, but I think I’ve changed my mind. I know Clark’s been accepted at University of Kansas, Oklahoma State, Western Michigan, and Metropolis U in New Troy. I’m still waiting for responses from some of those schools and a couple of others. If I don’t hear what I’d like to hear, I’ll hand you the phone myself.”

He picked up the mail. “Well, you got two thick envelopes and one thin one today. Maybe this will help.”

She snatched all three envelopes and began shredding the thinnest one. “What! You had these and didn’t call me and didn’t tell me the nanosecond I walked in? What kind of horribly cruel father are you, anyway?”

He smiled. “One with his priorities intact, I would hope.” He watched as she scanned the first letter. “What does that one say?”

“It’s from Western Michigan. They say they’d take me and make some kind of scholarship available if I really wanted to come, and they’d be thrilled to have me, but they think I’d be happier at another school. The archaeology department is being revamped, and they’re not taking any incoming freshmen with archaeology majors this year, and maybe not next year either.”

He nodded. “It’s scholastic code. Sometimes ‘revamping the department’ means they’ve lost some funding, or maybe some big names left for one reason or another and haven’t been replaced yet. I can find out if you really want to know. This isn’t that big a field, after all.”

“Well, that really wasn’t my top choice anyway. Let’s see what Metropolis U says.”

She tore open the envelope and yanked out a sheaf of paper. “Hmm. Application for dorm housing, for financial aid, scholarship info – hey, they’ll give me half a free ride for the first two years, and the last two free and clear if I maintain a minimum 3.2 grade average. Not bad. I’ll have to think hard about that.”

“They only want four B’s and one A from you each semester? You could do that in your sleep.”

“As you’ve so often pointed out to me, Dad, college is lots harder than high school.”

“I’m glad you were listening. The other one is from the University of Kansas. What do they say?”

“I don’t know yet! I don’t – Give me a chance to open it, okay?”

She mentally bit her tongue. She’d almost said she couldn’t read it because didn’t have Clark’s X-ray vision. It seemed “the secret” might be a heavier burden than she’d originally thought.

Lana finally got the last envelope open. She read the cover letter and the accompanying documents without saying a word. Finally her father couldn’t wait any longer. “Will you please tell me what it says, preferably before I snatch that page right out of your hands?”

“I got in.” She lowered the paper. “And I have a three-quarter academic scholarship for all four years, provided I’m willing and able to participate in at least six months of on-site field work during those four years. And the field work counts towards my degree, just like a lab.” Her eyes glowed. “Dad, they’re giving me college credit to do something I’d do for free! Isn’t that just insanely great?”

“Totally gnarly, dudette.”

She roared with laughter. “My pop, the surfer! Just call you Moon Doggie! Hey, here’s the class schedule. Let’s see, I think I can handle twelve class hours my first semester, and maybe fifteen the second, or eighteen if I don’t sleep much – “

“Only twelve hours the first semester? That’ll make for some long summer school sessions.”

“I’ll have to work part-time, at least. They’re not paying for books or meals or even full tuition.”

He shook his head. “No, but I am.”

She goggled at him. “What? You and I both know we don’t have that kind of money! We’re talking a couple thousand a semester, at least! And that’s if I live at home, and that would be one whale of a commute!”

He smiled and patted her hand. “I’ve been saving up for this very eventuality. I have a little over seventeen thousand dollars in a special account that’s reserved just for you, Lana.” He kissed her hands. “I presume you thought I was losing weight because I was eating right and exercising.” He grinned. “I simply wasn’t eating.”

“But – Dad, you – “

“No. It’s settled. Besides, you have to save your own money for your dowry.”

She grimaced. “My dowry? That’s an outmoded concept at best, Dad.”

“Maybe so, but at least we aren’t arguing over my contribution to the education of my future dig partner any more, are we?”

She grinned. “I guess not. I’ll have to call Clark and bring him up to speed on all this.”

Professor Lang sighed dramatically. “I certainly hope he grasps the information quickly. I won’t have a dullard for a son-in-law.”

Lana’s mouth quirked. “You won’t, Dad, I can assure you of that. Besides, Clark has talents you don’t have any idea about.”

“I don’t doubt it. But I do doubt I’ll ever learn about those talents. At least, not first-hand.”

Lana stared at her father for a moment, then turned bright red. “Dad!”

It was a passive victory, but it went in her scoreboard’s win column nonetheless.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing