I know I said Monday, but I'm trying to move, so I decided it was better to post now before my computer gets packed up.

TOC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 7:
Resolutions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 10, 1999, 11:00 PM
348 Hyperion Avenue, Metropolis

Lois leaned back against her pillows and scribbled in her notebook. She'd gotten down just about everything from earlier that day, but she was trying to remember where she'd heard the name before. She knew that it wasn't the first time she'd heard the name, 'Megan Barnett.' It was familiar, but she just couldn't remember.

Lois chewed on her bottom lip, trying to convince her recalcitrant memory to cooperate with her. It wasn't working. She looked up as she heard Clark's light footstep outside the door. "Is Rachel okay?" she asked softly.

Clark nodded. "I have to admit that I was surprised when she wanted me to tuck her back in after her nightmare," he said. "She usually wants you." He walked over and sat on the bed beside her.

Lois reached over and took his hand. "I know," she said. "I think she's trying to let you know how much she trusts you, sweetheart."

Clark pulled her into his arms and laid his cheek on the top of her head. "She proved that," he whispered. "Rachel witnessed one of the murders. She can identify the killer."

"What?" Lois sat up, dropping the notepad and pencil which she still held.

"Yeah," he said, grimacing. "It knocked me for a loop, too."

Lois wrapped her arms around Clark. "Which one?" she asked. She was trying to remember if there'd been changes in her daughter's behavior that she could have spotted. She'd known that something had been bothering Rachel, but not what.

"The first one--not the skeleton, but the one that we all *thought* was first," he said.

Lois sighed and leaned into him. "Is Rachel all right? Every time we think things are going to get better, we get thrown another curve ball."

"I think so. She seemed relieved after she told me." Clark tightened his grip slightly. "I know. At least she told one of us," he reminded her. "I'm taking her with us to talk to Henderson tomorrow. As soon as we have a suspect--"

"We do," Lois interrupted. "Her name is Megan Barnett, she's twelve, and from the drawings that were hanging on that quack of an art therapist's wall, she's a *real* wacko."

"They have DNA," Clark reminded her. "If she did it, they'll get her help and make sure that she can't hurt anybody else."

Lois burrowed into him. "It's bad enough that every once in a while, yet another megalomaniac tries to take over the world--why do we have children killing other children?" she muttered. "And why did *our* daughter have to see that?"

Clark hugged her gently. "I don't know," He paused for a few minutes. "As long as we make sure our kids know better, and teach them better, I'm not sure what else we can do," he said honestly.

"I know." Lois shivered a bit. The thought of a child serial killer was frightening. She'd taught Rachel not to talk to strange adults--not that she'd taken much convincing--but strange children? How else would she ever have friends or a normal childhood?

Clark rubbed his hands up and down her arms. "Makes you realize that they're not safe, doesn't it?" he asked.

Lois nodded against his chest. "But we never really are, are we? Well, except when you're with us." She pulled back slightly and kissed him. After the kiss ended, they held each other tightly, comforted by simply being together.

~*~*~*~

September 11, 1999 7:00 AM

Rachel skipped downstairs and turned on the television. It was cartoon day! Her favorite show would be on any minute, and she wanted to watch it. She turned the television to the right channel, then went to the kitchen for breakfast.

She scooted the step-stool over to the countertop, climbed on it, and got the Superman bowl that Grandpa Perry had given her out of the cabinet. Getting down off the stool, she grabbed a spoon out of the drawer, then laid the bowl and spoon on the table. Rachel bit her lip and moved the stool in front of where the cereal was kept. She climbed on it, then on to the counter. She opened the cabinet, grabbed a box of Life, and, clutching it to her chest, got down.

She walked over to the table, opened the box, poured some cereal in the bowl, then, using the step-stool again, got some milk out of the fridge. Carefully, using both hands, she poured some milk on her cereal. She left the milk and cereal on the table, picked up the bowl, and carried it into the living room. She set it on the coffee table and sat down on the couch.

Rachel started eating her breakfast, stopping to laugh occasionally at the cartoon characters on the screen. "Rachel?" She looked up to see her Momma walking down the stairs.

"Hi, Mommy," she said cheerfully. "I got my own breakfast," she added proudly. She'd never managed to do it all herself before.

"Morning, Rachel," Lois said with a yawn. "Wow." She walked over, sat on the couch, and gave Rachel a hug.

Rachel nestled comfortably in Lois's embrace. "Momma, I don't wanna go to the police station," she said. "Policemen are scary."

She felt her Mommy kiss the top of her head. "Why are they so scary, honey? I've got some friends who are policemen, and they'd never hurt you."

Rachel bit her lip. "Papa Gary said they'd put me in jail," she whispered.

"Peanut, you haven't done *anything* wrong--they only put bad people in jail." Lois pulled Rachel into her lap.

Rachel sighed softly, leaned back against her Mommy, and put her thumb into her mouth. She sucked on it for a few minutes. "Do I have to go in by myself?" she asked finally, pulling it out of her mouth.

Her mother's arms tightened around her. "Of course not!" She looked up to see Lois smiling. "You get to pick if Daddy or me goes with you, baby. One of us has to stay home with Jamie and Timmy."

Rachel laid her head on Lois's shoulder. "Can Daddy take me?" she asked.

Clark came downstairs, carrying Jamie, who was crying, and yawning. "Honey, I think he wants something I can't give him. Will you take him?"

Lois laughed. "Of course."

Rachel slid off her Mommy's lap and ran to her Daddy. "Daddy, will you take me?" she asked. "I don't wanna go in that place by myself."

Clark handed Jamie to Lois, who rearranged her clothes to feed the baby, and knelt down to Rachel's level. "I'll be with you the entire time," he promised. "Let's get you cleaned up from breakfast and out of your pajamas, ok?"

Rachel nodded. "Do we have to get dressed up like we're going to visit Grandpa Perry at the Planet?" she asked.

"Yep," was Clark's answer. "So Mommy will tie ribbons in your hair that match your dress," he said with a wink.

"Good," Rachel said. "Those are the prettiest ones."

Clark picked her up and settled her on his hip before reaching for the dishes on the coffee table. "Let's go put these in the sink and get you dressed," he suggested.

Rachel nodded as her thumb crept back toward her mouth. As long as she was with her Daddy, the policemen would never take her away.

~*~*~*~

September 11, 1999, 9:35 AM
12th Precinct, Metro Police Department, Metropolis

Clark gave Rachel's hand a squeeze as they walked into the police department and up to the front desk. "Hey Jake," he greeted the desk sergeant. "Is Henderson or Zymeck around?"

"Henderson is. It's Zymeck's day off," Jake replied. "You can go right back." He peered nearsightedly over the desk. "And who is this pretty little girl?" he asked.

Clark gave him a smile as Rachel shrank into his leg. "My daughter, Rachel." Rachel hid her face. "She's just a little shy," he explained.

Jake nodded. "Mine's the same way. I'll tell Henderson that you're on the way." He picked up the phone as Clark and Rachel started making their way through the precinct.

"I'm scared, Daddy," Rachel said in a small voice.

Clark stopped, crouched down and gave her a hug. "I know you are, sweetheart." He said. "I'll be here the whole time, okay?"

Rachel nodded. Clark stood up, took her hand again, and started walking towards Henderson's desk. Rachel lagged behind, obviously reluctant to talk to the detective. He sighed, picked Rachel up, and swung her into his arms. She hid her face in his neck.

Clark rubbed her back gently. "It's okay, Rachel," he murmured. "Inspector Henderson is a friend of mine--he's got a little girl at home who's only a few years older than you."

Rachel pulled back a little and grabbed a fistful of his dress shirt. "Does he hit her like Papa Gary hit me, Daddy?" she asked, her big blue eyes filling with tears.

Clark brushed her sugar-brown bangs out of her eyes. "No, baby," he said softly. "Henderson would never hit little girls." He pulled a handkerchief out of his suit jacket pocket and gently wiped away her tears. "You're safe, Rachel. I promise."

Rachel threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. Clark figured if he'd been human instead of Kryptonian, he'd be having problems breathing because her hold was so tight. "Is it okay if we go talk to my friend?" he asked.

Her eyes wide with fright, Rachel nodded. Her thumb crept up into her mouth. Clark pulled it out and wiped it off with his handkerchief, but she simply gave him a reproachful look and stuck it back in.

Mentally, Clark shrugged. Lois had talked to Dr. Jenkins about it and was told that she'd probably stop when she felt more secure. He smiled, shifted Rachel to one arm, and held out his hand. "Henderson," he said.

"Hi, Clark." Henderson took the proffered hand and shook it.

"You remember my daughter, Rachel?" Clark asked.

"Of course I do," Henderson said with a smile. He stood up and came a little closer. "Hi, Rachel," he said. "My, that's a pretty dress."

Rachel turned her head to get a look at him. Clark stayed silent, hoping that Henderson's gentle behavior would make Rachel change her mind.

"It matches its owner," he commented with another smile.

"What do we say, Rachel?" Clark asked softly.

Rachel pulled her thumb out of her mouth. "Thank you," she said. "Grandma Lane gave it to me."

While it *was* a pretty dress that his daughter was wearing, Clark had wondered when Ellen had brought it home from a shopping trip what would posses someone to spend three hundred dollars on a dress for a six-year-old. It was great that Ellen had accepted Rachel, but sometimes he worried that she was spoiling Rachel *too* much. Sure, the dress, all the dresses that Ellen had purchased, actually, were classically designed and well-made, but Rachel would outgrow it before she managed to wear it for very long. It also didn't help that she'd bought several outfits for Jamie from the same upscale boutique.

"Have a seat, Clark." Henderson gestured towards the chair beside his desk. His eyes flicked towards Rachel. "What can I do for you?" he asked.

"Did Lois call you with what she found out?" he asked.

Henderson nodded. "Zymeck went to go pick up our suspect yesterday, but the family's out of town for the weekend. We'll bring her in on Monday."

Clark sat down and settled Rachel in his lap. "Rachel has something to tell you. Don't you sweetheart?" he gave her a gentle hug.

"Daddy, he's *scary,*" she said, shrinking back into him.

"Clark, do you remember Carmen Johnson?" Henderson asked.

Clark nodded. She'd been the detective who'd interviewed Rachel about Gary Russell. "Yeah. Is she working this case?"

"No, but I'm sure it can be arranged." Henderson turned and beckoned to a young, black woman. "Hey Carmen!" he called.

Carmen came over. "What is it, Bill?" she asked.

Henderson nodded towards Clark and Rachel. "Clark here says that his daughter has something to tell us about the serial."

Carmen dropped to her knees. "Hey Rachel," she said with a smile. "Remember me?"

Rachel nodded shyly. "Uh huh. You're pretty. An' you helped put Papa Gary in jail."

"That's right, honey." Carmen smiled and took Rachel's hand gently, and gave it a squeeze. "Now, your new Daddy said that you know something about the little boys' murders?"

Hesitantly Rachel nodded again, and leaned back into Clark. "I saw a big girl hurt one of them," she said. "She hit him with a rock, and I think she made him dead." She bit her lip. "She buried the rock by the little boy after he stopped moving."

Carmen gave her hand another squeeze. "Good girl. Now, did you see what the big girl looked like?"

Rachel nodded. "Yes, ma'am," she answered. "I saw her at Dr. Summers' office, too." She shivered. "She's scary."

Clark dropped a kiss on the top of her head. "You're safe, sweetheart," he said softly.

Rachel scooted closer to his chest.

"Miss Rachel?" Carmen gave her a smile. "Would you please look at some pictures and see if you recognize the big kid?"

Rachel bit her lip. "Can Daddy come, too?" she asked.

Carmen nodded. "Sure. But he doesn't have to go anywhere--Henderson can get them."

Rachel's thumb crept into her mouth as Henderson fetched the pictures. Clark figured that they'd had a line-up made, just in case a witness could be located.

Carmen let go of Rachel's hand and smiled. "Does chocolate milk come out of that thumb, sweetie? It came out of mine when I was your age."

Clark suppressed a laugh as Rachel looked insulted. He cuddled her close instead. Henderson handed Clark a card. "Would you look at that for us, Miss Kent?" he winked at Clark.

Rachel nodded and looked at the card in Clark's hand. She pointed at a picture without hesitation. "That's the big girl," she said around her thumb.

Carmen smiled. "Good job!" she said. "How would you like some ice cream?"

Rachel pulled her thumb out of her mouth, grinned, and looked up at Clark. "Please, Daddy?"

Clark chuckled and kissed her on the cheek. "Will you be okay with Carmen?" he asked. "I need to talk to Inspector Henderson for a minute."

Rachel hesitated for a few minutes, then nodded. "You'll be right here?" she asked.

"I won't leave this spot," he promised.

"Okay. Carmen's nice." Rachel slid off his lap and held her hand out to Carmen. Clark watched Carmen lead Rachel towards the break room.

"She'll be okay," Henderson said. "Kids are resilient--and she's gotten ice cream with Carmen before."

Clark looked at him in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Carmen keeps some in the freezer for the cases involving children," he explained. "So when Rachel came in to tell us about her stepfather, Carmen gave her some."

Clark nodded. "So, what next? I mean, will Rachel have to testify?"

Henderson grimaced. "Probably. I'd like to minimize the trauma to Rachel, but we're going to need her ID to explain the warrant to get the perp's DNA."

"So it *is* Megan Barnett?" Clark asked.

"Until we get the DNA comparison done, we can't be a hundred percent sure, but yes, we think so," Henderson said. "As soon as we have her in custody, we can decide what can be published."

Clark nodded, then waved as Rachel skipped back to him, carrying an ice cream cone. "Will you let us know when you have her?" he asked. "Lois and I would like to watch when you do the questioning."

"All right," Henderson agreed. "But before you publish anything, the lieutenant needs to see it."

"Fine with me," Clark said as he reached down to pick Rachel up. "I guess we'll see you Monday." He waved to Henderson as he and Rachel left the precinct.

"That wasn't so bad, was it, Sprite?" he asked.

Rachel shrugged, concentrating on her treat. "Maybe policemen aren't that scary," she said, giving the ice cream another lick.

Clark chuckled and pulled the keys to the Jeep out of his pocket. He hurried toward it, opened the door, and buckled Rachel in the back seat. Silently, he hoped that with their help, his baby girl would overcome what her stepfather had done to her.

Clark pulled his handkerchief out and rubbed at some of the chocolate smears on Rachel's face, trying for damage control, before he closed the door and went around the car. He climbed in, started the ignition, and started toward home. He was sure that as long as they stuck together, their family would be okay. There was more than enough love to go around.

~*~*~*~

September 11, 1999 1:45 PM

Timmy glared across the living room at Rachel. She was sprawled out next to the playpen, coloring in a coloring book, and she was stopping every once in a while to show it to the baby. It wasn't fair! She'd gone out with Mr. Kent before he'd woken up, and come back eating ice cream! And he didn't get any.

He'd been trying to provoke a reaction from her, but no matter what he did, she rarely did anything in return. Timmy pushed the truck he'd been playing with away, stood up, and crossed the room. He balled his fists up and without saying a word, hit his half-sister. Rachel bit her lip, and simply glared at him. "Meanie poo-poo head," she muttered.

How dare she?! Timmy scowled and walked over to the playpen. He'd get her!

Rachel, seeming to read his intentions, scrambled to her feet, climbed into the playpen, and picked up Jamie. She hugged him to her, his head on her shoulder and one arm slung across the baby's small body. Carefully, keeping an eye on Timmy, she grabbed the blanket that was in the playpen and climbed out of it. "Leave my brother alone!" she ordered.

Timmy smirked. Now the stupid baby was easier to get to! Rachel sat down on the floor, put Jamie in her lap and wrapped her arms around him protectively. Without a word, Timmy went around the playpen, grabbed Jamie's arm, and bit it.

The baby started to scream, and Rachel's face darkened. "It's ok, Jamie. Mommy will be here in a minute." Carefully, she laid the baby gently on the ground, and stood up. "I *told* you to leave my brother alone!" she yelled.

Timmy didn't see it coming. Rachel balled up her fist and punched him, hard in the stomach. She followed that with a punch to the face. Timmy sat down on the floor and started to cry. Rachel kicked his leg. "Don't ever touch my brother again!" she yelled.

Timmy cried louder. He heard the adults coming downstairs and redoubled his efforts to cry harder. The moment he saw Mr. and Mrs. Kent he pointed at Rachel. "She hit me an' kicked me," he screeched.

Lois strode over and picked up Jamie. "What happened, Rachel?" she asked, her voice soft with steel underneath.

Rachel looked at the floor and scuffed her toes on it. "Timmy hit me, and then he bit Jamie, so I made him stop. He's *never* gonna hurt Jamie again; he'll be *sorry* if he does."

Mr. Kent dropped to his knees in front of her. Timmy scowled and sobbed even more noisily. They were ignoring him in favor of the bastard. "Did you hit Timmy, Rachel?"

Rachel nodded. "He *deserved* it. If he hurts Jamie, I'll do it again!"

Lois and Clark exchanged a glance. "I'm calling Sam," they said together.

Lois handed Jamie to Clark. "I'll do it," she said. "He's leaving *tonight.*" She picked up Timmy and headed towards the phone on the desk. "Stop it, Timmy," she ordered. "Rachel shouldn't have hit you, but frankly, I'm surprised it took her as long as it did."

"What you gonna do?" Timmy sniveled.

"I'm calling Sam. We were willing to give you one more chance, buster, but that little display was the *last* straw." She put him down on the floor and picked up the phone. "Don't move from that spot until I tell you to."

Timmy scrubbed his arm across his face. That hadn't worked out the way it was supposed to--Rachel wasn't supposed to fight back. And now he was getting sent away. It just wasn't fair.

~*~*~*~

Clark sighed, stood up, and held out his hand, juggling a screaming baby in the other arm. "Come on, Rachel," he said. "Let's take a look at where Timmy bit your brother, then we have to have a talk."

Rachel crossed her arms over her chest and followed him to the bathroom, defiance and anger on her face. Clark rubbed the baby's back and glanced back at her. Part of him agreed with what she'd done, but she should have known better than resort to violence. He strode over to the bathroom, and examined the bite mark on Jamie's arm. Thankfully, the skin hadn't been broken.

Clark washed it off anyway and slathered on some antibiotic cream. Without speaking, he put his hand on Rachel's shoulder and guided her out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. He pointed towards a chair and rocked Jamie back and forth until he settled down. He put the baby in his bouncy chair and sat down beside Rachel.

"Rachel, you know better," he said softly. His heart ached as he noticed the tears running down her face. "We don't hit people unless there's no other choice. It's mean and ugly."

Rachel caught her breath in a sob. "Are you gonna give me back, too?" she asked. "Are you and Mommy gonna stop loving me?"

Clark pulled her into his lap. "Never," he said. "You're our baby girl, sweetheart. You'll *still* be our baby girl when you're married and have babies of your own."

Rachel grabbed his shirt and twisted her fist in it. She buried her face in his chest. "Cindy won't be coming over next week," he said softly. "I'll call her parents and cancel. That's going to be your punishment for hitting Timmy."

Rachel nodded against his chest. "I'm not sorry," she said, her voice muffled. "He deserved it. He shouldn't have bit Jamie."

"Rachel," Clark said warningly. "I want you to tell me what else you could have done instead of hit him."

Rachel sniffed. "Could've gotten you an' Mommy," she answered finally.

"It's great that you defended Jamie; he's little and helpless, but you still should have done something different, Sprite." Clark wiped some tears off her cheeks.

"Do I gotta say I'm sorry?" she asked.

"I think that would be a good idea," Clark answered solemnly.

Rachel slumped and studied her blue jeans. "Ok," she said. Her voice was so soft that Clark was sure that if he wasn't Kryptonian, he would never have been able to hear it.

"Is Sam gonna come and get Timmy?" she asked.

Clark nodded. "Your Momma is calling her right now," he said. "We were giving him one more chance, but we can't let him hurt you and Jamie."

Rachel leaned back against him and put her thumb into her mouth. Clark kissed her forehead and gave her a hug. While they'd initially hoped that Timmy would fit in their family, they'd since learned that Gary Russell's parental rights hadn't actually been terminated, anyway. Timmy was only in temporary foster care until his father got out of jail.

"Rachel, I've got to go get Timmy packed. Do you want to stay with me, or do you want to stay here?" Clark asked.

"Can Jamie and me go back in the living room?" she asked.

Clark nodded. She slid off his lap, he stood up, and picked up the baby. "Are you okay, Jaimers?" he said.

Jamie turned his head at the sound of Clark's voice and smiled. He reached for his daddy. "Ah ah," he said.

Clark kissed Jamie's forehead and reached for Rachel's hand. Together, they walked back into the living room. Clark put the baby in the toy-strewn playpen, and spread the blanket out on the floor. He picked Jamie up and laid him on it, then put some toys within reach.

Lois was still on the phone, talking to Sam. "Honey, I'm going to pack up Timmy's things, ok?"

Lois nodded and kept talking. If he'd wanted to listen in, he could have, but he didn't want to. Lois could handle it; if Timmy's stuff was packed up, Sam could pick him up as soon as she got over to their house. As far as he was concerned, the sooner she came to get him, the better. Much of Rachel's fire had been hiding since Timmy had gotten there. He wanted it back.

~*~*~*~

September 11, 1999, 4:00 PM

"Peek-a-boo!" Rachel hid her face, then uncovered it.

Jamie laughed and slapped his hands on the floor.

Rachel grabbed a rattle and shook it. Jamie reached towards the sound, but his arms were too short. He got another toy that was in easy reach and, with both hands, pulled it towards him and stuck it in his mouth.

Rachel glanced back to where Timmy was sitting and frowned. She got up off the floor, ignoring Jamie's whimper of protest that she'd stopped playing with him, and went to stand in front of Timmy. "I'm sorry I hit you," she said. "Daddy said I should say sorry."

Timmy stuck his lip out in a pout. "They're sending me back," he said. "Wouldn't be if you hadn't hit me."

Rachel rolled her eyes and went back to keep playing with her brother--her *real* brother. As far as she was concerned, Timmy wasn't. He was mean. *That's* why they weren't keeping him.

She sat down on the blanket, then glanced over at her Mommy. Lois was working on her laptop--Rachel figured she was writing a story for Grandpa Perry. Timmy's suitcases were by the door, and she knew that somebody must've called for Superman, because Daddy had gotten the *look* that meant that somebody needed him.

Carefully, she picked Jamie up and put him on her lap. Rachel grabbed the rattle again, shook it, and helped her brother stick it in his mouth. She kissed the top of his head, then looked up when the doorbell rang. She hugged Jamie tight and watched as her Momma opened the door to let Sam in.

"Sam, I'm sorry--" Lois began.

Sam smiled. "It happens, I'm afraid." She motioned to Timmy. "You're coming with me, Timothy," she said.

Timmy slowly got out of the chair and walked as slowly as he could to Sam. "I'm sorry," Lois said. "We just can't keep him if he's going to attack Rachel and Jamie."

Sam sighed and shook her head. "There were some reports of him being a little hard to handle in his first foster home, but nothing like this. I'll see if we can get him in to see a therapist."

"Don't send him to Dr. Summers," Lois said dryly. "She's a quack."

Sam laughed and picked up Timmy's suitcases. "There are others that work for the county," she said with a smile. "Thanks for trying, anyway."

She started out the door, then turned to look at Timmy, who was simply staring at Lois. "Timmy," she said softly. "Come on, it's time to go."

Timmy followed her, his lip stuck out in a pout. Rachel watched him go, still not quite ready to believe that he wouldn't be coming back. She watched her Momma shut the door behind them. "Mommy?"

Lois locked the door, came over, and dropped to her knees on the blanket. "Yes, Peanut?" she answered.

"Is Timmy gonna come back?" Rachel looked down at Jamie and gave him her finger to hold. He, of course, stuck it in his mouth.

Lois reached over and brushed a wayward strand of hair out of Rachel's face. "No he's not," she said. "I'm sorry, baby, but we couldn't keep him; he was hurting you and Jamie."

"I love you, Mommy," Rachel said.

"I love you, too," Lois said in return.

Rachel kissed the top of Jamie's head and smiled. The police would get that bad big girl, her parents knew what Papa Gary had done and they loved her anyway, and Timmy was gone for good. Maybe she was safe now. Maybe it was safe now to believe that she had a family forever. Maybe it was safe to believe that she'd never be given back.

Sure, the judge had told them that they were a family, but in her experience, good things didn't last. She'd lived with the Kents for almost a year, but it was still hard to believe that they loved her. Her new daddy was Superman, and people said that Superman couldn't lie. *He* said that she was his little girl, so maybe it was actually true. She wanted her new family to be a forever family. It was just that she didn't feel like she deserved it.

~*~*~*~

September 12, 1999, 10:30 AM

Lois smiled as she watched Rachel play with Jamie. He'd been trying to roll over lately, but he hadn't quite managed to do it. Rachel was currently trying to teach him how, and had spent a little while showing him how to crawl and turn somersaults. She wasn't really sure if Rachel thought that she could actually teach an almost four-month-old baby to turn somersaults, but it was kind of fun to watch her try.

Lois smiled as she felt lips touch the back of her neck. "That had better be my husband kissing me," she said teasingly.

"Oh, it is," Clark said.

Lois turned around, kneeling on the couch. "Don’t you think you'd better kiss me properly, then?" she asked.

Clark smiled, then leaned in and kissed her gently.

"Nice start," Lois said breathily.

"Only a start?" Clark kissed her again, this time dipping his tongue in her mouth for a taste.

Lois sighed and melted into the kiss. Clark's hand came up to cup her cheek, his thumb caressing her cheekbone. The kiss ended slowly, and Lois rested her forehead against Clark's. "Did Perry say when he'd be here?" she asked finally.

"No," Clark began, just as the doorbell rang. He kissed her again, briefly, before going to answer it.

"Mommy?" Rachel tugged at her shirt.

Lois turned around and sat down on the couch. "What is it, Peanut?"

"Since Timmy isn't here no more, can we go see Grandma and Grandpa Kent?" Rachel asked.

Lois's eyes darted to the door, just in time to see Clark let Perry in. "*Any* more. And we'll see, sweetheart."

Rachel smiled, climbed up on the couch next to her, and gave her a hug. "Okay."

"Where's my favorite granddaughter?" Perry called.

Rachel started to giggle and shrunk down behind her. "I haven't seen her anywhere," Lois said with a wink. They'd started playing this game when he came to visit a few months ago, and Rachel had yet to get tired of it.

"Well, let's see," Perry pretended to examine the room. He walked over to the curtains and peeked behind them. "She's not behind the curtains."

Rachel giggled again and Lois suppressed a smile.

Perry looked inside the fireplace. "She's not pretending to be Santa Claus." He looked in the fish tank. "And I don't see any Rachel Fish."

Rachel started to laugh harder.

Perry smiled. "I don't see her anywhere!" He held out his hands. "Rachel! Where are you?"

Rachel slid off the couch, walked over, and tugged on his pant leg. "Grandpa Perry, I'm right here!"

Perry looked down with a fond smile. "Why so you are, Darlin'."

"Can we play tea party?" Rachel asked, "and will you fly me?"

Perry laughed. "Or I could just catch you now," he said, and began to growl. "Because I'm the big, bad wolf, and I'm gonna eat you up!"

Rachel shrieked and started running. Clark walked over to the couch and sat down beside Lois. "Be careful," he said.

Perry gave them a wink as he gave chase. "Big, bad wolf can't eat me!" Rachel taunted with a grin. She slowed down to pick her way around the baby's blanket.

Perry prowled closer to her, and reached out to snatch her up. Rachel evaded him and ran to the other side of the room. He followed, his longer legs eating up the distance. Rachel ran into the corner, and he trapped her there. With a growl and a laugh, Perry grabbed her and began to tickle her.

Rachel started laughing. "Help, DADDY! Save me!" she called.

Lois smiled and kissed Clark on the cheek. "Go ahead," she said. She stood up, keeping an eye on them as she scooped up Jamie.

Clark hurried over and snatched Rachel. "You do realize that now that I've rescued you, Princess, I get to carry you away!"

Rachel kept laughing as Clark swung her over his shoulder and carried her to the other side of the room. "Let's fly, Daddy!" she said.

Breathing heavily, Perry flopped down on the couch. Lois and Jamie joined him. Perry offered his finger to the baby. "Grandchildren... are the best," he said between pants.

Lois laughed as they watched Clark spin Rachel around. "I think kids are pretty good, too," she said.

Perry turned and eyed her suspiciously. "Are you *sure* that you're Lois Lane?"

Lois laughed. "No pod people here," she said with a grin. "I admit that I wasn't sure I wanted them for a long time, but I think I'll keep them," she said with a wink.

Perry watched Clark spin Rachel some more. "Y'all don't need to pretend with me," he said suddenly. "Just because I don't know officially --doesn't mean that I don't *know*."

Lois assumed her most innocent expression. "I'm not sure what you mean, Chief," she said.

"I've been in the business since before you were born," was his quiet answer. "I wouldn't be a man in my position without being... observant. I've known for years about Clark. He's from Kansas, sure, but for my money he was born on Krypton," he said softly.

Rachel started to wiggle. "Put me down, Daddy, please." Clark complied and followed her as she ran over to the couch.

"Grandpa Perry, you know that Daddy pretends to be Superman?" she asked.

Perry nodded, extracted his finger from Jamie's grip, and pulled Rachel into his lap. "I sure do, Darlin'," he said. "I thought your Daddy might want to know."

Clark sat down on the other side of Lois. "How long have you known, Chief?" he asked.

"I suspected from the beginning," was the answer, "But I didn't know for sure until those New Kryptonians showed up."

"You waited so long to say anything, why now, Perry?" Lois asked.

Perry smiled. "Well, you two lovebirds have these two little munchkins now, and I figure if Luthor manages to come back from the dead again or something, you'll need me and Alice to help out." He paused and gave Rachel a hug. "Alice... doesn't know," he finished.

Rachel got out of Perry's arms. "Grandpa, can we have a tea party now?"

Perry smiled. "Why, we sure can, Miss Rachel. I'd never turn down an offer to have tea with a beautiful girl." He stood up and started walking towards the small table that her tea set was set up on.

Clark wrapped his arm around Lois and she leaned against his chest. It really wasn't that surprising that Perry knew. He'd been their boss for years, and with the way Clark had to leave for emergencies, well, many bosses might have fired him by now. It wasn't like he'd publish it or tell anyone, either.

Lois tipped up her face and kissed the underside of Clark's jaw. Four years ago, she would've told people they were crazy if they'd suggested that she'd be content sitting with her husband and baby watching their daughter play with their boss. Much had changed in four years.

~*~*~*~

September 13, 1999, 9:00 AM
12th Precinct, Metro Police Department, Metropolis

Lois and Clark sat behind the one-way mirror and watched as Henderson and Dr. Shafer, the police psychiatrist, questioned Megan Barnett. Clark knew that they'd already gotten DNA from the girl, because he'd heard Henderson tell Zymeck that Forensics was testing it.

"We don't *need* a lawyer," an older woman protested. "My daughter didn't do *anything*!"

Clark rolled his eyes. "Riight," Lois muttered.

"Mrs. Barnett," Henderson began. He pushed a piece of paper across the table. "If you'll just sign this waiver, we can get started."

She took the paper and signed it. "Now *what* could this possibly be about. My daughter can't have done anything wrong!"

"Shut up, Mom!" Megan snapped. She leaned back in her chair and smiled. "They brought us here to talk to me."

"Yes, we did, Megan," Dr. Shafer said.

Henderson pressed the record button. "We need to tape this for our records," he said softly.

"We'd like to know how you feel about little boys," Dr. Shafer said.

Megan shrugged. "They all try to leave in the end. My stepfather did it." She smiled. Clark shivered. The smile wasn't a pleasant sight; it reminded him of a snake, of Luthor.

"What do you mean that they leave?" Henderson asked.

"They *leave,*" Megan said impatiently. "My stepfather died. He was going to leave us, but before he could, he tripped over me and fell down a cliff." She shrugged again. "Mom put me in therapy after that."

"Megan, we have an eyewitness that puts you at the scene of one of the child-murders that have been happening over the last few months," Henderson said.

Megan's lips turned upwards into a smirk. "I made sure they wouldn't leave me," she said. "I can go back to play whenever I want, and they're waiting for me."

"We found out who they are and sent them home, Megan," Dr. Shafer said. "Their families have them."

Megan leaned forward and slapped her hands on the table. "You had no RIGHT!" she yelled. "They're *mine*!"

"Their families missed them," Henderson said. "They wanted them back."

"They're *mine,*" she insisted. "They came with me to play!"

"Why did you pull their pants down?" Dr. Shafer asked.

Megan shrugged. "Because it made them look stupid. Because that's what my stepfather, Chris, did to me to punish me. He pulled *mine* down and gave me a spanking at school. Why shouldn't I? They were being punished for leaving."

"So they're your toys?" Dr. Shafer asked.

Megan shrugged again. "Why not? They're much better than dolls."

Henderson stood up and leaned forward on the table. "What you did was *wrong,* Megan," he said. "I'm very angry at you for hurting those little boys!"

"So?" Megan said. She smirked at him and clasped her hands neatly in front of her. "Chris was mad when he saw me beat up a little boy. I knew he'd fall when I tripped him." She gave Henderson a once over. "He made a 'thunk' when his head hit the rocks. It was fun."

"How many were there?" Dr. Shafer asked.

A wide, happy grin spread over Megan's face. "Five, with Chris. Five that can never, ever leave me again."

Lois moved closer to Clark. He took her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. She gave him a brief smile of gratitude before turning her attention back towards the interview.

"But don't you feel bad that you killed those little boys?" Dr. Shafer asked.

Megan tilted her chair back, balancing it on its back legs. "Why should I? They shouldn't have tried to leave."

Henderson exchanged a glance with Dr. Shafer. "I think we're done here," he said quietly. He stood up and walked around the table. "Mrs. Barnett, I'm sorry, but I'm placing your daughter under arrest for the murder of Chris Barnett, Joey Anderson, Benjamin Smith, Lamar Rogers, and Alexander Epps. Stand up, please, Megan."

Megan stood up, but immediately punched him where it hurt. He gasped, grabbed her, and handcuffed her hands behind her back. Mrs. Barnett glared at Henderson. "Is that really necessary?" she asked.

"Yes," he said, then finished reading Megan her rights.

"Your daughter's a sociopath, Mrs. Barnett," Dr. Shafer said.

"Are you saying she's psychotic? That she's crazy?" Mrs. Barnett demanded.

Dr. Shafer shook his head. "She's not psychotic. She's sociopathic--psychotics aren't responsible for their actions because they can't tell the difference between right and wrong." He stood up and leaned casually against the wall. "Sociopaths know the difference; they just don't care. Eating ice cream or killing someone; it's all the same to them."

Lois shivered. Clark put his arm around her waist, hoping to lend some support. It had been their good fortune or misfortune, depending on the way you looked at it, to run across more than their share of sociopaths as reporters. As Superman, he'd had personal dealings with most of them. He watched as Henderson took possession of Megan's elbow and started pulling her towards the door.

"You are *not* putting my baby in a holding cell!" Mr. Barnett said stridently.

Henderson turned slightly. "No, ma'am. We'll be sending her to Juvenile Hall until her trial. I suggest you get a lawyer." He left the room, pulling a struggling Megan with him.

Clark gave Lois a one-armed squeeze. "C'mon, Honey. Let's find out what we can print and get out of here," he said.

Together, Lois and Clark walked out of the room and headed to Henderson's desk to wait for him to finish talking to the uniformed cops who he assumed would be taking Megan to Juvie. It was a relief that Megan would be off the streets, but he still wondered how he could manage to do what was needed as Superman and still handle everything else in his life. Sometimes, he thought that their family motto should be, 'No easy answers," because there never were any.

He supposed it would be an ongoing battle to keep his priorities straight; if his family came first, he was sure that things would work out. If the past half-dozen years had taught him anything, it was that sometimes thinking in shades of gray was necessary to accomplish everything he needed to do and survive. He and Lois and Rachel and Jamie were a family, and it had to be enough.

~*~*~*~

October 1, 1999, 4:00 PM
348 Hyperion Avenue, Metropolis.

Clark zipped the last duffel bag closed and carried it downstairs. While Megan Barnett's trial was ongoing, Rachel's part in it was over, so they were heading to Smallville for some much-needed decompression time. It wasn't the first time they'd spent the weekend at the farm with his parents, and it probably wouldn't be the last.

Even before the trial had begun, thanks to his contact in the DA's office, he had known that the girl was being tried as an adult. The DNA tests had come back positive, and with the other evidence and her confession, there was no question that the verdict would be guilty. With four counts of first degree murder, it was unlikely that the twelve-year-old would ever be released into society.

Perry had been happy with their articles covering the investigation and the trial, so he'd been more than happy to give them the afternoon off to get Rachel out of town. His parents were expecting them, and he had plans to show Rachel the tree house and perhaps take her fishing.

Clark set the duffel bag on the floor. "Is everybody ready?" he called.

"Yes!" Rachel skipped out of the kitchen and hurled herself at him.

Clark swept her up into a hug, then set her down. "I'm going to take the luggage first, Sprite," he reminded her.

Lois followed Rachel, albeit at a more sedate pace. Jamie was cradled in his baby sling across her chest. "Rachel, how about Daddy takes you next, and then comes and gets me?"

"Okay." Rachel bounced around a bit. "Daddy, when I get big, I wanna fly like you do."

Clark swallowed, hard. How could he explain to his baby without making her feel like she didn't belong that she would never be able to fly? He dropped to his knees and gave her a gentle hug. "Sprite, you're more like your Mommy than me," he said finally. "Mommy isn't Kryptonian and neither are you, so I'm afraid that you can't fly like I can."

Rachel seemed to consider this for a few minutes. "Then I'll fly really, really, really fast planes," she said with a grin. "Then I can go as fast as you can, too!" She bounced up and down a little. "Susie says that her brother flies planes for the Navy and he can fly as fast as *you,* Daddy. Maybe I'll do that."

"If you want to, baby, you can," Lois said. She sat down on the couch and patted the cushion next to her. "C'mon, sweetie. It won't take Daddy long to fly our stuff to Grandma's and Grandpa's house."

Obediently, Rachel walked over and climbed on the couch. Clark stood up, brushed off the knees of his jeans, and spun into the Suit. He picked up the baggage, and, as fast as he could without disintegrating his cargo, left and flew to Smallville. It figured, he reflected, that his most vulnerable child would decide that she wanted to choose one of the most dangerous professions when she grew up.

Then again, last week she'd wanted to be a doctor. He landed in the farm yard, put the bags on the porch, and started to fly back to Metropolis for his family. Things changed constantly. He was hoping for a small period of peace to finish the process of integrating his family and to allow Rachel some space to heal.

He was lucky. He had Lois. He had their children. Together, he was sure that there was no way that any of Metropolis's criminal element could overcome them.

The End. (For Now)

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying