Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
One of my co-workers grows all sorts of succulents. We've been trading specimens from our yards for a while, and this bloomed this year:

The Epiphyllum from Outer Space

Obviously, it's not really from outer space, but it is pretty cool-looking.

Last edited by Annie B.; 02/06/15 09:35 AM.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
If the picture doesn't show, can someone tell me? I'll try reposting it if people can't see it.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, as long as she doesn't call it Seymour (the plant from Little Shop of Horrors). Picture came out fine.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Well, as long as she doesn't call it Seymour (the plant from Little Shop of Horrors). Picture came out fine.
I thought the plant was called Audrey.

Kerth
Kerth
Looks a bit like Starro, the JLA's old foe.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Is this the sarlacc from the Lesser Pit of Carkoon?

Shallowford
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
On the subject of strange plants, I was working in the yard yesterday and observed that one of the apple trees and the lilac bush are in bloom.

In November. confused

I also have a pot of paper whites (bulbs). Usually, they start sprouting leaves in late September to October and bloom in January and February. This year, they started putting out leaves in late July and started blooming in September.

Very strange.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Annie B.:
On the subject of strange plants, I was working in the yard yesterday and observed that one of the apple trees and the lilac bush are in bloom.

In November. confused

I also have a pot of paper whites (bulbs). Usually, they start sprouting leaves in late September to October and bloom in January and February. This year, they started putting out leaves in late July and started blooming in September.

Very strange.
Our new dogwood trees we planted this spring have lost their leaves but already have buds. huh We think it's a bit early too. It may be because we've hardly had winter the past two years (cold but no snow), so maybe they're confused.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I saw a most incongruous sight yesterday. Someone had already set up their Christmas decorations, including one of those giant clear plastic snowmen that appears to have a blizzard going on inside. What made the sight so strange was that the snowman was sitting under a tree in full bloom (bright pink blossoms).

It was 97 degrees yesterday, so it's no wonder the trees and other plants are confused. My apple tree has tiny fruits developing on it, and I've been picking strawberries, bell peppers, and okra in the garden in spite of it being mid-November. The herbs are in bloom, much the delight of the bees, and the lilac is leafing out. All these plants are going to be in for a shock when winter finally does come and freezes all that lush new growth.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Some more out-of-this-world plants.

1. Audrey's Creepy Cousin, or, The Venus Kid Trap:

I brought this one to work from home to brighten up the library. Within the hour, I had this conversation with a kid:

Kid: What's that?
Me: It's a weird succulent/cactus thingie.
Kid: (reaches for it) No, it's not!
Me: Yes, it is. Don't touch it.
Kid: (touches it) Ow! It's sharp.
Me: wallbash

Hence the name Venus Kid Trap.

2. I don't have a name for this, but the head of security brought it in to display in the library.

Dave's Succulents

He took it home to get it some sun before entering it in a plant competition. We're also planning on entering it in the fair in October under the heading Education: Media Center.

3. This is a green bean succulent (because it looks like green beans, not because it's good to eat).

I have one at home, too, but it looks kind of pathetic since it fell in the pond and the fish nibbled on it.

4. Dragon Carrot. This is an heirloom variety of carrot, purple on the outside and orange on the inside. Some people are afraid to eat it, even though it's delicious.

Dragon Carrot

These carrots are very sweet (too sweet for a stew because they overwhelm everything else), but perfect for eating raw or using in carrot cake.

Last edited by Annie B.; 02/06/15 09:42 AM.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Not otherworldly, but pretty:

Pink Lady Epiphyllum

And sort of otherworldly:

Fire Bush

Last edited by Annie B.; 02/06/15 09:44 AM.

Kerth
Kerth
Not sure what this is - I've been using it as a user pic on Livejournal, don't remember where it comes from except it's a real flower.

[img]http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/102595305/1407919[/img]

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Cool flower, Marcus. It looks like a dragon.

VirginiaR.
---
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Marcus Rowland
Not sure what this is - I've been using it as a user pic on Livejournal, don't remember where it comes from except it's a real flower.

[Linked Image]

It looks sinister. Perhaps it's some sort of orchid?

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I took this picture when I got home today. My dad has been cutting this shrub into the shape of either the Very Hungry Caterpillar or a tomato hookworm, depending upon your viewpoint. (I go with Very Hungry Caterpillar because it appears to be attempting to eat the utility pole.)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That bush could be useful at Halloween

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by dcarson
That bush could be useful at Halloween
It actually did get some attention last Halloween, when some little kids walked between the bush and the utility pole and an older kid noticed the face and told the little ones it was going to eat them, resulting in screaming and crying once the little ones realized what the older boy was talking about.

Sometimes people going down the street do a double take when they see the face. The neighbors use it as a landmark when directing people to their weekly yard sales.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I just changed the URLs on most of the photos and made them public on Facebook so everyone could see them. If they still can't be seen, can someone tell me?

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard