Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
[b] I realized it about halfway through the trailer for it before MoS that the Z stands for Zombie! dizzy
That we believe what we're shown? wink There wasn't anything in the preview I saw that said the hoards attacking Brad Pitt were Zombie either, Mouse. There weren't any close-ups of what those others looked like, so how is an innocent viewer supposed to know. If I hadn't watched an episode or two of The Walking Dead and... I reluctantly admit... my husband told me, I wouldn't have automatically thought zombies either. (Which was a wise move on his part, because if he had dragged me to a zombie movie on our anniversary... it would have been the couch for him!) [/b]
huh

And yeah... "happy anniversary honey, let's go watch people get bit by zombies" would deserve a couch-boot IMO, too. laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
huh
Hey, if it was the end of the world and there was only one helicopter to safety, I might be climbing over people to get on it too... without ever being a zombie! Made total sense to me. laugh Geeze, I've seen worst fights at the mall after Christmas. Please! wink <<okay, that last one was my impersonation of the stereotypical response someone with my hair color is supposed to give. I'm smart enough NOT to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas.>>

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
My wife and I just saw Man of Steel this afternoon. We both liked it a whole lot.

>>> moved to thread referenced in Virginia's post <<<

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
My wife and I just saw Man of Steel this afternoon. We both liked it a whole lot.
Hi Terry, We have a Post-Viewing Discussion of Man of Steel thread if you'd like to move you spoiler-ladened review over there. I bet you'll get a bunch more of response. wink

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Got on here for a few seconds while trying to fix my computer and then must run off to keep fixing and do hw...

GO. SEE. PACIFIC. RIM.

I'm not kidding. I was very skeptical about it from the start, but my teacher told us to go watch it for its graphics... Mind-blowingly awesome. Great storyline, incredible graphics, well choreographed fight scenes, and robots fighting monsters(or "Kaiju" as they are aptly called). There's nothing not to like (unless you're not an action-movie fan). The amount of detail that is displayed in each of the jaegers is incredible-- down to even the decals and pistons and such. AMAZING!

Seriously. Pacific Rim might be the last movie to see this summer. Check it out. IMO, it's up there with MoS and the new Star Trek. shock

--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, Mouse, but is the plot well constructed or even believable? Do the characters pull in the audience's sympathy or are they even likeable? On top of that, how was the acting? Is there dialogue that one can hear over the roar of big huge monster machines and if it is, is it so horrible, that you wish you couldn't hear it? <<As a writer that aspect is especially annoying.>> I saw the preview and wasn't impressed, frankly, I was *BORED*. I wouldn't even put it on my "save" list on Netflix. (The Lone Ranger I might because of the actors and out of love of the old TV show, but frankly, I wasn't impressed by it's preview either. Another remake which makes fun of the original instead of paying it homage, which just insults the original fanbase.) A fight scene for fight scene sake isn't enough for me. There needs to be more than S-FX for me to plunk down $10+ (not to mention more $$ for a babysitter) to go see a film in the theatre.

Star Trek was enjoyable on multiple levels, and so was MoS. Actually, the only movie I've seen on DVD lately (since I had kids, so almost a decade) that I wished I had seen in the theatre was "Avatar". But it had more going for it than just S-FX. I liked the plot, the characters, and the romance.

VirginiaR.
---
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Yes, Mouse, but is the plot well constructed or even believable? Do the characters pull in the audience's sympathy or are they even likeable? On top of that, how was the acting? Is there dialogue that one can hear over the roar of big huge monster machines and if it is, is it so horrible, that you wish you couldn't hear it? <<As a writer that aspect is especially annoying.>> I saw the preview and wasn't impressed, frankly, I was *BORED*. I wouldn't even put it on my "save" list on Netflix. (The Lone Ranger I might because of the actors and out of love of the old TV show, but frankly, I wasn't impressed by it's preview either. Another remake which makes fun of the original instead of paying it homage, which just insults the original fanbase.) A fight scene for fight scene sake isn't enough for me. There needs to be more than S-FX for me to plunk down $10+ (not to mention more $$ for a babysitter) to go see a film in the theatre.
To answer your questions....

Yes. Yes. Good. Yes. Go see it.

The plot is (again, IMO) extremely well done (which I was not expecting at all from this kind of film). There is a lot of fighting and crashing and loud noises, but as far as I recall it didn't interfere with any major dialogue. Acting was far better than I thought it would be as well. I am *not* a fan of robot/alien/whatever-Michael-Bay-can-crank-out kind of movies (in fact I only barely tolerated the first Transformers movie). But with these types of what I label "guy movies" usually there is either no acting, or the little bit of acting there is cannot be described, due to how cheesy it is. There's not really any moments I can recall standing out as cheesy or stupid (though I may have missed some). That said, it wasn't all a serious "war" movie either, with some comedic aspects involved-- Charlie Day had provided some much needed comic relief at times. The previews flat out SUCKED. That I will give you. In fact, I didn't see one preview that made me say "hey, that movie looks awesome!" I actually didn't want to see it until several different people from my school started talking about how good it was (one of my teachers knows a visual fx artist that worked on this and a few other summer hits and even he said Pacific Rim is the one movie to see this summer). Also, I can count it as two and a half hours of "research" time for my homework. smile1 Which leaves me about 28 hours of homework time left... huh

--Mark Twain
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Just added the latest Percy Jackson sequel to the list (didn't know they were making one! But the books are good even if the first movie was kind of subpar...). And a fun little tidbit-- Nathan Fillion will be playing the role of Hermes on screen. This means, as fans probably suspected, that Fillion actually is a God now. smile1

As if he wasn't before. drool

--Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard